Profile for central squared > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

central squared RSS Feed

Case Logic FLXB-102 Reflexion DSLR with iPad Backpack (Morel)
Case Logic FLXB-102 Reflexion DSLR with iPad Backpack (Morel)
Price: $81.99
5 used & new from $80.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and functions great!, December 14, 2014
I'm picky about bags, it has to look good and not like black tech bag, but it also has to be functional. I bought this one for a trip to Taiwan, mostly in Taipei, but some hiking/wilderness day trips. It worked very very well. I brought with me Sony A7r, the Sony 24-70/f4, FE 35 and 55, Zeiss 50/2, CV 35/1.2, Olympus 21/3.5. Yes all that can fit in there, although not all in the bottom. I didn't carry all of that every day though. The top area is great for books, small purchases, a light jacket even. I sometimes put the camera in there when I didn't want to deal with the middle zipper. Also works for a great carry-on for headphones and snacks and whatnot. The bottom section is great. I removed the one padding section, leaving a bigger main area and two smaller pockets where I jammed in lenses. The small zipper pocket on the top section is great for a passport or notebook, the bigger lower pocket held all my batteries, cards, filters, stuff like that. I appreciate all the zippers and extra layers of protection, including the zipper pocket in the main top compartment. It's a great functional bag that held up in the rain and generally getting beat up for a few weeks. In fact, I took it out into the Socal desert for a long weekend and the thing somehow still looks brand new. And one of the best things about is the stretchy outside pockets for a drink (or a tripod on one side). Too many camera backpacks don't include a way to hold a water bottle. This one works super well because I can have one for me and one for my pup on hikes.

Pluses: Rugged, holds a ton of stuff, flexible space, extra zippers for your protection, looks cool, side drink holder, doesn't cost an arm and a leg
Minuses: Like many over/under backpacks, that center zipper can be difficult to open and close. The tripod holder on the side is pretty small. The lower compartment has the removal carrier, which is cool, but i would have preferred just padding the whole section to create more space. This will work with smaller mirrorless cameras, maybe smaller dslrs with smaller lenses, or one larger dslr with one bigger zoom and a smaller prime.

Overall I highly recommend this bag. It looks great, works well, and is very cheap comparatively.

High Sierra: A Journey on the John Muir Trail
High Sierra: A Journey on the John Muir Trail
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie made me feel pretty bad about my day hikes in Sequoia, September 1, 2014
This movie made me feel pretty bad about my day hikes in Sequoia, but on the other hand it's motivating me to try camping and maybe some multiday hikes. Glorious footage, a great philosophizing ranger, and some fun guys make for a very enjoyable 90 minutes. Highly recommended for anybody interested in nature, hiking, the High Sierra, just the beauty of the West.

Nippon Guitars
Nippon Guitars
Price: $18.24
28 used & new from $10.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comp, April 12, 2014
This review is from: Nippon Guitars (Audio CD)
Terry's records can be hard to find and semi-pricey, so this a great way to get a sampling of his work across all his bands. From straight up Ventures type surf, to moodier pieces, to fuzzed out psych jams, it's all here. The pressing quality is excellent - flat, noiseless, and the packaging is great as well.

C'est Chic: French Girl Singers of the 1960s / Various
C'est Chic: French Girl Singers of the 1960s / Various
Price: $24.69
26 used & new from $14.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Trés Chic is better, February 19, 2014
The first side is great, classic ye-ye, chanson stuff. The second side drifts a little more and has a few american sounding girl group type stuff on it, which is not at all a reason to pick this up, IMO. If you're only going to dip your toe or get one, I'd recommend picking up the second comp Trés Chic instead, which is much more consistently French/chanson/ye-ye.

Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down
Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down
by Rosecrans Baldwin
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars more than a travel story, January 14, 2013
What I really loved about this book was how it crossed so many topics - advertising, travel, cultures, office life - it kind of has it all but with this frosting of a fish out of water story. His observations on both French and American culture are great and at times this book is outright hilarious (especially the first third). It's a quick, fun read that I enjoyed. As someone who is in advertising and traveled a lot (as well as lived in many different places), this book just checked all the boxes for me.

Gray Sea Salt Caramels in Milk Chocolate, 5.6 ounces (2 packs - 6 pcs/pack)
Gray Sea Salt Caramels in Milk Chocolate, 5.6 ounces (2 packs - 6 pcs/pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars beyond yum, December 3, 2012
Tried a sample at the Unique L.A. this past weekend and I nearly fell over at the awesomeness. I bought a box of the dark chocolate and the milk chocolate. Both are just amazing and words fail at their deliciousness. I think I prefer the dark chocolate but either will satisfy.

Office Girl
Office Girl
by Joe Meno
Price: $13.33
76 used & new from $0.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Art-world skewering, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Office Girl (Paperback)
Office Girl is a quick, fun read. But if you watch a lot indie films - rushed out to see Celeste and Jessie Forever, were a huge fan of My So Called Life, read Catcher in the Rye over 15 years ago, it's going to feel a little predictable in plot and character. The characters are likable, sweet, predictable in motivation and action, but you feel for them in the end. I really enjoyed Meno's takes on the Jack's and Odile's art projects. They were creative and funny, fit the plot and character motivations. At times Meno's skewering of mainstream art world reminded me of the indie movie Untitled, which was darkly hilarious. I wish he had explored this a bit more here. The whole book feels a little rushed, almost more like a movie treatment than a novel, and Meno has a way of ending the very short chapters beautifully, leaving you wanting more of that writing. But the book is briskly bittersweet, and there a few loose ends for sure (what happens with his step dad?), but if you're into the emo/art school thing, definitely pick this up. Well worth it.

Andreas Gursky: Works 80-08 (English and German Edition)
Andreas Gursky: Works 80-08 (English and German Edition)
by Martin Hentschel
5 used & new from $325.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but format issues, August 9, 2012
This book covers Gursky very well. The hardbound cover is linen and very nice. The printing quality is also very good. But my main issue is that many of the images span two pages and since the book is relatively thick, you can't really see the entire image, at least to the fullest effect. It's a little annoying and has me searching out another book to complement. Also, the dimensions could be larger to better see the detail in Gursky's work. Despite the issues, it's still a book to own, just because of how broad it is.

Zone One: A Novel
Zone One: A Novel
by Colson Whitehead
Price: $18.67
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average zombie book, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Zone One: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book is not about zombies. It's a sly commentary on current society, consumerism, on the draw and pull of NYC, of what it takes to get through life. It's about our routines, our dreams, what we do and don't to fulfill them. If you're expecting a horror book, this isn't it, so just move along. But for those willing to get beyond genre-based expectations, you'll find some incredible writing. Whitehead is at his best when describing our current society. His wit and writing is so dry, so sharp, but yet there are passages that just sing and you need to re-read them just to absorb how awesome they are. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't become a book zombie.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2012 9:39 AM PST

Audyssey Lower East Side Media Speaker (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Audyssey Lower East Side Media Speaker (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by KMY Discounters LLC
Price: $277.45
6 used & new from $85.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers at a reasonable size, January 5, 2012
I've been on the hunt for a really nice set of desktop speakers to replace my aging altec lansings. My contenders were the Audyssey LES, the Audioengine A2 and various m-audios (av30 or av40). I wanted a front headphone jack and volume control (which ruled out the AE2s, which are great speakers) and I just didn't like the look of the m-audios. Too techy or sci-fi for me, plus the reviews of the build quality of the LES seemed superior to the M-Audios. Anyway, I picked these up and they are fantastic. The bass for a speaker so small is spectacular. They really sound great, lots of detail, good separation, build quality is very awesome. I'm really happy with my selection. Most importantly they sound great, but they look good too. I have them plugged into my imac right now and I'll be investing in some kind of DAC soon too.

If I could give them 4.5 instead of 5 though, I would. And here's why. I love that they go to sleep, but they don't wake up when sound hits them. You have to push the volume knob in. Not a problem if you're sitting at your desk, but I live in a loft, so if I'm airplaying my iMac from the other side of the apartment, I have to walk back over to wake them up. Not a huge deal, but a little annoyance. Secondly, I wish they got a little louder. They deliver a full sound, but just don't totally crank. That's really fine, and it controls distortion, but don't expect to fill a larger room with them. But overall I couldn't be happier with them and feel like a tool for waiting so long before I bit on them.