Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Michael N > Reviews

Browse

Michael N's Profile

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael N RSS Feed (Windsor, CT)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
UCONN Huskies Women's Basketball 2016 National Champs Men's T-Shirt (Navy, Large)
Offered by save and discount llc.
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great look, nice design, June 4, 2016
Nice bright colors and celebrating the amazing 4 in a row championships of our favorite team, the UConn Huskies.

The Doctor's Brushpicks Toothpicks 60 Pick's (12 Pack
The Doctor's Brushpicks Toothpicks 60 Pick's (12 Pack
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $17.23
9 used & new from $17.23

5.0 out of 5 stars These are a good bargain. Since I have been using these daily, June 2, 2016
These are a good bargain. Since I have been using these daily, my dentist marvels at how good my teeth and gums are.

Arrow Shaped Map Dot Stickers - Assorted Colors
Arrow Shaped Map Dot Stickers - Assorted Colors
Offered by GeoMart_
Price: $10.75
4 used & new from $5.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than expected, June 2, 2016
The die-cuts for the actual stickers are within the borders printed and are significantly smaller. For a presentation board, I could only use the largest arrows. However, they are bright and easy to apply.

Nunn Bush Men's Bourbon St Lace-Up Oxford,Brown,9 M US
Nunn Bush Men's Bourbon St Lace-Up Oxford,Brown,9 M US
Price: $67.95
5 used & new from $67.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as expected, May 14, 2016
I have a pair of black that are great. Through Amazon, I found that the shoes come in brown, so I am very pleased with both.

Robert B. Parker's Blackjack (A Cole and Hitch Novel)
Robert B. Parker's Blackjack (A Cole and Hitch Novel)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read and keeps moving, May 1, 2016
Continuing the saga of Virgil and Everett. Easy read and keeps moving.

Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
Price: $199.00
27 used & new from $132.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A few problems, but otherwise a very good product, March 1, 2016
We installed the Ring doorbell as a replacement for our analog doorbell. It was easily installed, although we mounted the Ring to its bracket before doing the setup, which must be done before mounting. The Ring is difficult to remove, but we were able to do so and complete the setup before remounting. The setup is very easy and we had no problems. We really appreciated that you can order remote add-on chimes. We bought 3 for remote areas of our house, and they were a breeze to set up also.

At this point, our Ring doorbell has been installed for about 1 month, and for the most part it works very well. The video is very good, and we can definitely identify people when they are at the door. In the early morning when the sun is facing directly at the camera, the video quality remains acceptable, while other cameras I have tried seem to lose color and picture quality. I previously returned a Skybell version 2 because the picture completely washed out most of the morning. The Ring video is comparable to a Logitech 750N camera (not a doorbell) that I have also used.
Motion detection seems to not work as well as I had hoped. The roadway by our house is more than 50 feet away from the Ring, and yet larger vans and trucks will cause the Ring to detect motion, even though I have selected a motion range inside of 30 feet. I recommend to the Ring people that they consider a motion detection design more like the Logitech, where you can draw rectangles onto an image from the camera showing where motion should be detected. In my case, the road appears in the top half of the image, and I would select a motion rectangle in the lower half. Maybe this type of setting would require the on-demand feature that is promised for the future. I am really looking forward to that feature.

The add-on chimes are a good concept for us. Their volume can be increased and decreased; we have ours set nearly to the maximum. However, we have noticed that, although the old analog chime consistently actuates, in some cases the add-on chimes do not actuate. Consistently, the add-on chimes did not ring if a second doorbell press occurs within the 40 second window after the first press. So if we didn’t hear the first press, we would only hear the analog chime on the second press, and I suppose we wouldn’t hear anything at all if we did not have that old chime from the original wiring. On occasion, the add-on chimes did not chime at all, even for the first press. In some of those cases, the add-on chimes have actuated several minutes later. For the record, the Ring and its chimes have good wifi connections to my network, which is connected to the internet with Xfinity’s Blast service.

I am very pleased with the speed at which I receive notification on my phone, either over wifi or cellular. Usually, the notification is within seconds of keypress, or of motion. After the Ring notification, I can then view the current video from the Ring, within 40 seconds of the motion or keypress. This seems to be an adequate amount of time. Audio communications seem very reasonable, without significant delays. In this mode, I did not find a way to instantly backup the video session to view the activity that may have set off the motion detector. A few minutes after the video session has ended, the video session is available for playback, but if the motion is a concern, this is a long time to wait.

Overall, I am pleased with the Ring, and it is serving its purpose in our house. I really think the on-demand video feature will be a great addition to the product once it is available. I look forward to it. In the meantime, I hope that the issues with the chimes will be fixed and be more reliable than they are right now.

Ankuoo NEO PRO Wi-Fi Smart Switch for Controlling Electronics and Monitoring Energy Usage with Home Automation App for Smartphones, White
Offered by Smarter Life
Price: $30.99
3 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, but could have some issues for some people, September 4, 2015
This is the second NEO WiFi switch that I have purchased, the previous one being an in wall switch that is working fine. It was a simple matter to configure this switch, and it is controlled flawlessly through the app. It was up and running in a few minutes. A few points to note though. First, there is a manual switch at the top of the device. The plug (wall side) on this device does not rotate. I didn't have this problem but, if your existing outlet is installed with the ground pin above the current pins, rather than below, then the device will be upside down when you plug it in, with the manual switch on the bottom. This may or may not be ok for you. But you can always reinstall the wall outlet or buy a small extension to solve the problem. Second, I am using the device to plug in a lamp nearby. I previously used an X-10 device, which sensed when the switch on the light was closed and automatically turned on power. The NEO switch does not do this, but I never liked that X-10 feature, so it is ok with me. Something you might want to keep in mind. Finally, as with the other NEO switch I reviewed, the app does not automatically update the switch status until you click on a refresh icon. I judge this to be minor inconvenience and am happy to give this switch 5 stars.

Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch, NOT Plug & Play, Limited DIY Required, White
Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch, NOT Plug & Play, Limited DIY Required, White
Offered by Smarter Life
Price: $28.20
4 used & new from $25.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Good switch and good app at a good price, August 26, 2015
I had no trouble setting up the switch to work with the WiFi in my house. I put the app on my phone, and it works as expected. I also noted, as others have, that the outside edge of the switch is thicker than normal, causing that side of the wall plate to bulge out a little. But this bulge is very minor. The only flaw that I could find is that the iPhone app does not automatically know the current switch position, if it has been changed manually or from another WiFi device. In order to see the current setting, you must go to the app home page and click the refresh button. The current state will then be shown by the color of the icon for the switch. I would prefer that the app did the refresh automatically whenever it is displayed, and the app should allow the refresh from the switch detail screen as well, which it does not. Nevertheless, I judge the manual refresh to be a minor inconvenience. The switch and the app deserve a five star rating.

What Pet Should I Get? (Classic Seuss)
What Pet Should I Get? (Classic Seuss)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, July 28, 2015
The old Seuss is back, so how does that sound? It looks like this story to all will astound! Go Seuss!

SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell Version 2.0 Classic (BRONZE)
SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell Version 2.0 Classic (BRONZE)
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $123.95
35 used & new from $99.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but doesn't work well, July 22, 2015
We are not able to view our front porch from inside the house. So years ago I installed a Doorbell Fon so we could communicate with people at the door without opening it. This device works well with our landline phones, but you can’t initiate a conversation from inside the house if someone at the door knocks instead of pressing the doorbell button. The device also lacked video and WiFi. So I added a Logitech 750N WiFi camera that sends high quality video, but does not support voice communications. The camera could not be mounted outdoor, so its night vision feature is useless.
I looked around for a video doorbell with the following features:
• High quality video to my iPhone (IOS) and cloud storage
• Video and voice that can be initiated either from the doorbell or cell phone
• An outdoor mounted device with motion detection and night vision
• Interface with existing house wiring
Of all of the video doorbells, Skybell seemed to have the best reviews. So I purchased it. Although the Skybell has some excellent features, I am now returning it, because its implementation is considerably less than I expected.
The physical installation was very easy. Skybell advises some pre-checks to make sure the device will work well. I judge this to be a good precaution, to avoid wasting a customer’s time. My pre-checks were all ok.
Before beginning the installation, I removed my Doorbell Fon and re-enabled my old analog doorbell. The physical installation of the Skybell was quite easy, only requiring direct replacement of the doorbell switch with the Skybell switch and its mounting bracket. Unlike other reviewers, I did not have a problem with the setscrew that locks the Skybell to its mounting bracket. The hole in the Skybell is small and guides the setscrew tool directly to the screw top.
Setting up the Skybell to work with my home WiFi network was more tedious. According to the manual, after the Skybell has been attached to the house wires, it powers up and, after about 10 minutes, a cell phone should be able to detect the Skybell’s own Wifi network “Skybell…” For me, it took about 40 minutes before the network appeared in the list of WiFi networks. I then was able to connect almost immediately. From there, I used the Skybell iPhone app to identify my house WiFi SSID and password to the Skybell. Although the app said it might take several minutes, Skybell still did not have a connection to my home WiFi network after about 30 minutes. The support information on the web site said to try again from the beginning, which I did. This time, the “Skybell…” WiFi network appeared almost immediately, and the home network connection was successful after about 1 minute. The app advised waiting about 10 minutes for the latest firmware to be installed. I gave it one hour before proceeding.
On first use, the doorbell seemed to work well. After pressing the Skybell button, the Skybell beeped and the analog doorbell chimed, and almost instantly a push notification displayed on my cell phone, which also beeped. Upon answering my cell, I had a fairly immediate connection to the Skybell video and push-to-talk audio. Audio was satisfactory, with only a little time delay. The video however, was highly unsatisfactory. It was a very blurred image (see photo). Faces were not recognizable. As others have noted, my call to tech support was immediately handled, and the tech advised me about doing a “soft-reset”, which I did. The reset had no effect on the video quality. I snapped a picture through the Skybell app and emailed it to the tech. He said the poor video quality was due to a sunny front yard with the Skybell under a darkened alcove, raising havoc with its night vision feature. This havoc resulted in pink trees and yellow grass. However, later at dusk, with the yard and alcove about the same brightness, the video color improved but the picture was as blurry as before.
I tested the device several times while I was on a cell phone call. I got push notifications from the Skybell in about ½ of the tests. The iPhone will not allow a conversation with the Skybell while a cell call is in progress. However, when I exited the cell call, I could not communicate with the Skybell unless I completely stopped and restarted the Skybell app. The Skybell tech advised that this is also a problem with the iPhone, but I found it is not a problem with other iPhone apps that use the microphone, like Voice Memo.
A few other issues:
1. Although the Skybell advertises motion detection, this detection is currently limited to 12 to 16 inches. I find this pretty useless, but Skybell promises improvements are coming.
2. Other reviewers pointed out a problem where the Skybell rings with motion detection, a sound that might scare or disturb visitors. They requested a setting to optionally turn off the Skybell ring. In the Amazon ad, a Skybell feature is listed as “silent doorbell mode”, which I assumed was a feature to deal with this request. However, the tech said the option would only suppress the interior chime, not the Skybell tone. For me, it did not suppress either the interior chime or the Skybell tone.
3. For me, the cloud storage does not exist. The app screen that is supposed to display the saved videos is completely blank. The tech said to wait a day and retry. I did. Still blank.
On paper this is a good video doorbell with all of the features I need. But it does not work well. I am returning it to Amazon and am hoping for Skybell to release a new version that overcomes some of these problems. I admire their great tech support, and I like their idea for the product. So I would consider doing business with them in the future. But for now, I am back to my original Doorbell Fon and Logitech camera.
Comment Comment | Permalink