Profile for Happy Reader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Happy Reader "beat, romance and st .lit" RSS Feed (nyc)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Devil's Kiss (Harlequin Presents, No 1517)
Devil's Kiss (Harlequin Presents, No 1517)
by Sally Wentworth
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Sally Wentworth's The Devil's Kiss, July 8, 2012
From the back cover:
Plan A: expose Warren!
Plan B: Fall in love?
Warren Hunter had caused MIranda's family a great deal of pain.But he wasn't going to get away with it. Miranda had the percect plan for revenge-a plan she hadn't hesitted to put into action.

But like all the best made plans this one backfired. Oh, it would have worked if Warren had reacted as expected; if he had been guilty of Miranda's accusations. And if he hadn't been the father of her unborn child...

MY View:
Nobody does revenge heroine to hero like Sally Wentworth. The heroine goes after the hero for blood after mistaking him for the lose who used and abused her sister. This book was exciting especially when the herione played the hero like a violin. I love it when it's the hero doing the chasing and self doubting.

What I liked about this romance novel was how the heroine really thought about having an abortion. I've never seen any HP author touch on this subject in any meaningful way.

Reasons you may or may not like this book:

1. Herione has a real job and two degrees.
2. Herione was almost raped by her former finance.
3. Heroine's sister has an abortion and heroine considers having an abortion.
4. Heroine is a feminist.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2014 1:13 AM PDT

White Rose of Winter
White Rose of Winter
by Anne Mather
27 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Anne Mather gives up Maury show in a romance, June 19, 2012
This review is from: White Rose of Winter (Paperback)
Heroine was an overemotional nitty who ran and married the hero's brother because the hero had to go to South America because of an accident at a site. Oh and she had a little secret that would win her a spot on the Maury show...

Things you may or may no like about this book:

1.Keeping it in the family. The heroine sleep with a set of brothers which kind of reminds me of Gypsy from Carole Mortimer.
2. Hero smokes

Beautiful Disaster
Beautiful Disaster
by Jamie McGuire
42 used & new from $0.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Travis you're a scary dude & Abby you are too cruel, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (Paperback)
So I finally finished the book and I guess I sort of agree with those who say Travis was a bit too far out there for me. Now I like a jealous possessive "you belong to me" hero but he was going over into wacko territory.

I'm also not much into "lose" men. That's not a thrill to pull a guy whose given out his man parts like government cheese .

How you gonna be with two women at the same time in the living room while the woman you want to be your girlfriend sleeps in your bed.

For a man who was so in love, how come Travis didn't "eat"?

Abby and America were both annoying as hell. Abby was perhaps the most unlikeable heroine I've ever come across. Or maybe she was just more like a real person.

I didn't like how Abby told Travis to teach Brazil a lesson aka a raw beat down. I also wasn't a fan of how Abby treated Parker. Way to use and abuse a guy turning him into a dog for some other woman to have to tame Abby.

Is it me or did the teens in the this book drink a lot. I mean they really needed to set up a AA meeting group on campus. Abby & Travis were a set of lushes if I ever seen one.

With all that I think I enjoyed the book more than disliked it. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk 8 oz
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk 8 oz
Offered by J&B Professional Beauty
Price: $14.42
33 used & new from $8.35

2.0 out of 5 stars shea moisture coconut&hibiscus curl*style didn't work for me, April 23, 2011
Really my hair seems indifferent to the stuff. I brought a bottle after seeing a YT video where a lady with 4a hair used this product to do a twist out. She had pretty good results, sorry I can't say the same. This product did nothing to give my hair definition or much hold. The curl and style conditioning milk did little to nothing for the ends of my hair that behaved as if I hadn't applied any of the product to them.

I will not purchase this product again.

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative conditioner - 12 oz.
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative conditioner - 12 oz.
Offered by J&B Professional Beauty
Price: $14.48
14 used & new from $12.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Shea Moisture Raw Shea, good as a leave in conditioner, April 23, 2011
Ok let me preface this by saying I have 4a-4b hair. I hate that this product doesn't have instructions on the bottle so you're left fumbling around to find a routine that this works best for. I tried using it as deep conditioner but it did nothing for my hair as a deep conditioner. So the second time I used it put it in my hair as a leave in, to moisture a week old double strand twist set that I had. NOW NOW NOW... I'd finally found my dream leave in moisturizer. I'd previously tried the Carol's Daughter hair milk, which did nothing for my hair. This stuff is so much better.

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pack 1.75 oz. (Pack of 12)
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pack 1.75 oz. (Pack of 12)
Offered by Ocean Marketing
Price: $23.19
10 used & new from $13.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pack is the best, April 23, 2011
I've tried a number of deep conditioners by the various natural hair care companies. None of them work for my 4a-4b hair like the replenishing pak does. I'm shocked this hasn't received more reviews. Maybe people shy away from it because it has a cone or two. The Replenishing pak is probably my second favorite product for styling my hair.

I've used this with a hooded dryer, heated towel wrap, and overnight with two plastic bags wrapped around my head. Any of three methods are good for helping to moisturize your hair. After washing out the replenishing pak, my hair is very soft to touch and this helps when styling my hair as I don't have to use much oil or butter for moisture.

Denman 5 Row Classic Pocket Styling Brush
Denman 5 Row Classic Pocket Styling Brush
Price: Click here to see our price
16 used & new from $3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Denman d14 is the hairbrush for 4a-4b hair, April 23, 2011
I would give this brush a 4.5 if I could. This brush works well with my 4a-4b hair. The Denman doesn't rip my hair out and it gives my hair a smoothness that a large tooth comb does not. I like to use this hairbrush to help saturate my strands with product. It also allows my hands to relax. I sometimes suffer from carpel tunnel syndrome but the Denman hairbrush doesn't give me the hand pain that using a large tooth comb does.

Untamed Italian, Blackmailed Innocent
Untamed Italian, Blackmailed Innocent
by Jacqueline Baird
67 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Jacqueline Baird's Untamed Italian, Blackmailed Innocent., July 11, 2010
From the back of the book:
The debt: 1,000,000 pounds

No woman has ever shunned wicked Italian tycoon Zac Delucca! But sweet, studious Sally is in a world of her own, looking after her sick mother. Little does she realize her unfocused disinterest is driving Zac's fury! Especially as her father is responsible for embezzling millions from his company.

the payment :her innocence
There's a debt to be paid. Zac will offer Sally an ultimatum--become his mistress on demand or risk ruin! He's confident she'll make the right choice.

My take: Jacqueline Baird writes another winner. The heroine isn't taken with our hero Zac cause her attention is focused solely on her louse of father. A father who cares to so little for Sally's terminally ill mother that it's made Sally swear off of men. Now being a tall striking billionaire, Zac just isn't use to women who wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire. So he goes out of his way to make the heroine his next woman.

Zac finagles Sally into having lunch with him at a restaurant but of course her attention isn't on him. When an old friend(male) passes by, Sally completely forgets about Zac . Zac's blood boils and he vows to do whatever it takes to make Sally his. How convenient is it that Sally's dad is found to have stolen 1million pounds from Zac's company. Zac Bribes Sally with, if you want your father to stay employed so he can pay for your sick mother's care, be my mistress.

Boy was Zac in for a surpise when he found out his mistress was totally inexperienced. His guilt started to eat away at him.

I want you to enjoy the book so I'll lay off anymore spoilers.

offtopic: this title was a real doozy. I was embarrased to read it in public. I wrote a fake grocery list on a post-it to distract from the cover. Harlequin Presents should really go back to 80's titles.

back on topic: One thing I love about Jacqueline Baird's heros is they will "beta themselves" to prove their love to the heroine. Bull headed alphas aren't my cup of tea. I love Charlotte Lamb's books dearly but some of her early hero's were very harsh men. Jacqueline gets the alpha beta balance just right.

you may or may not like:
1. heroine comes from a troubled family.
2. the hero is certified alpha but a has a few beta moments.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2010 8:21 AM PDT

Sweet Revenge
Sweet Revenge
by Anne Mather
5 used & new from $1.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Mather's Sweet Revenge, February 15, 2010
From the back of the book:

" I want to leave and I'm going to"
Toni continued her pretest determinedly. " I don't know what kind of a person you think I am; or what you think you can do to me. But you can't make me stay here!"
The Conde smiled. With his looks, his money., and his castle in Portugal, he could usually make anyone do anything he wanted.

"you tried to deceive me," he said smoothly.
"Now you will remain here and be punished. And afterward-who knows? you may find yourself wanting to stay..."

My Take:

Toni finds herself in Portugal where after three weeks, she is dismissed by her employer from her job as a nanny because the Madame has a husband who can't keep his hands to himself. In fact, when the wife walks on the two, the husband blames Toni for the incident saying she seduced him.

On the way to a hostel, Toni's ash blonde hair and blue eyes attract the attention of a local lad who frightens Toni so much that she in nearly run over by a passing car. The owner of the vehicle, our hero, The Conde, gives Toni a ride back to her hostel. The attraction Toni felt towards The Conde was immediate and strong.

A few days later while sitting in the lobby, she comes across a former boyfriend(Paul) who unbeknownst to Toni, is the nephew of The Conde. Paul asks if Toni can accompany him to his grandmother's home as his girlfriend. The conde and Toni meet up again and the attraction grows stronger.

Things you may/maynot like about this book:
1.The hero has a facial scar
2.The hero has a teenage daughter.
3.The hero holds the heroine against her will.
4.Both the hero & heroine are smokers.

I'll hold off giving anymore spoiler but I will add that this is one of Anne Mather's better books. It seems that her older books are very well written.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America
by Barbara Ehrenreich
Edition: Turtleback
8 used & new from $11.01

5.0 out of 5 stars nicel and dimed is worth much more than a nickel and dime, April 29, 2009
Nickel and Dimed

I read this book after reading Dishwasher Pete, a very lightweight read. Unlike Dishwasher Pete, Nickel and Dimed takes a hard look at how Americas low wage earners live and/or survive on such low wages. Nickel and Dimed is heavily footnoted, with anecdotal information and studies to support Ehrenreich's claims. Throughout the book, Ehrenreich was pretty forthcoming when she could have cut corner's to save money but instead choose comfort over bargain. Had this book been written by a man I can imagine he would have been able to live at or below Ehrenreich's budget because most women don't feel comfortable sleeping in homeless shelters or around men whom they don't "know". Two, there are still jobs in America in which you can make a decent salary without a high school diploma but they require brute strength. Brute strength is an area where most women are lacking. The average man has 3x the upper body strength of a woman who is of the same height and weight.

Overall, I would say this is a very good book. Ehrenreich lives and works among the poor and mentions how the poor are sometimes the cause or at least play a role in their own suffering. Take Ehrenreich pregnant coworker at Merry Maids who ate only a bag of Doritos for breakfast and lunch while her lazy boyfriend sat on his but at home with his hand out. However, she also mentioned how employers take advantage of workers i.e. Wallmart low level health insurance for its' workers and pay wages so low that they don't allow one to eat a healthy diet and live in a decent apartment.

Barbara Ehrenreich