Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Walter Hampton > Reviews

Browse

Walter Hampton's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Walter Hampton "Ceratto's Grotto" RSS Feed (NW Washington State)

The Reapers Line: Life and Death on the Mexican Border
The Reapers Line: Life and Death on the Mexican Border
by Lee Morgan II
Price: $25.00
73 used & new from $0.36

4.0 out of 5 stars To Mr. Morgan: Thanks for doing what you did, I appreciate it! And thanks for writing about it too., January 19, 2010
I picked this book up of in all places the gift shop of an Arizona State Park, (albeit close to Douglas, AZ where the author is said to live).

I purchased the book because a review on the jacket said "If you want to know what is going on today on the U.S.-Mexican border, read Lee Morgan's powerful and passionate book" and because it was his story of what has/is going on".

Well, I wanted to know more about the border issues and had yet to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak. I was certainly not disappointed. Well... that would not be true, I was disappointed, but not about the Mr. Morgan's book but with our REMF's (Mr. Morgan's term from the book) and government's lack of will power to solve (yet again) what the REMF's and politicians tell us is "the problem".

Via the book one eventually sees how there is two 'general' issues at the border that Mr. Morgan's generation dealt with; 1) illegal aliens and 2) narcotics smuggling. I say Mr. Morgan's generation because in the end Mr. Morgan and the people he worked with are no longer are working for us; the departments Mr. Morgan worked for no longer exist as they were; and now operate under control of the very department(s) he so often found corrupted.

While Mr. Morgan's book may not be a master piece of writing style and there may be a bit too much color and profanity for some, it did not detract from the content for me.

It is a long book, but pretty easy to read the way the chapters are done. One could (although I didn't) put the book down and come back to it in a few days without losing continuity.

A few times in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s I ran around the back roads of southern Arizona photographing the landscape. Had I read this book first I may not have or at least I would treated anything south of I10 with a little more caution, (ignorance can 'sometimes' be bliss).

Seems a small world as my family had a manufacturing business and in the 1970s had a plant in Agua Prieta, across the border from Douglas. The corruption made it so difficult to do business there that one night we packed some semi trucks with whatever equipment we could, drove back across into the USA and abandoned the entire plant without a word.

I would like to hear an update covering what Mr. Morgan thinks since he wrote his book. In particular the current circumstances as the Border Patrol seems to be managing most things.

French Cheese (Eyewitness Companions)
French Cheese (Eyewitness Companions)
by Kazuko Masui
40 used & new from $2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars AVOID THIS BOOK!, January 9, 2007
I suggest that if you live in the typical USA city or town you do not read 'French Cheese'. It will turn you into a cheese snob and ruin any appreciation you currently have for cheese sold in most USA environments. Since reading this very informational 'French Cheese' book, I have yet to find a good 'live' cheese within an one hour drive plus an hour ferry ride of my home. This commute has driven my cheese costs through the roof. My wine costs are now at new heights too, as the suggestions for compatible wines are so interesting. Now my typical day is to get up very early, catch the morning bus (or drive) to the ferry terminal; take the ferry to the city; then walk a distance to a farmer's market area where I can find cheese and wine within a respectable distance from each other. I find a cheese that is still 'alive', look it up in the book, see what wine the 'French Cheese' book recommends, then go to one of the wine shops in the area and try to find that wine. If I cannot find the wine, back to the cheese shop to see what else they have that matches up with one of the cheese / wine recommendations in the 'French Cheese' book. By the time I get all this done it is time for lunch. I go to the one of the local bakeries nearby and get some 'appropriate bread' to go with some of the cheese and wine I purchased, sit down somewhere and have lunch. Then it is time to head for home. It will take me another couple of hours to get home, so it is just in time to start a dinner of some kind, (which is usually based upon one of 'French Cheese' book's cooking with cheese recommendations). I am also afraid that my travel expenses to Europe (France in particular) are going to increase dramatically since most of the cheeses in the 'French Cheese' book are not exported, (and there are so many cheeses to try). I would write more, but I am running late for the ferry. I wish I had never read this damn book.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2015 2:58 PM PST