Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for P. Wiklanski > Reviews

Browse

P. Wiklanski's Profile

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Wiklanski "reading rider" RSS Feed (Ann Arbor, MI)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Adonit Jot Pro Stylus Pen for iPad, iPhone, iPod, Kindle Fire and Other Touch Screen Tablets First Edition - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Over Priced however, December 4, 2012
I like a stylus for my iPad, and this might be the best I've tired yet however, $30 (suggested retail)? For an anodized aluminum cylinder? You're kidding right? Then again I did buy it and yes I really like it. This, the pro version, has the magnetic feature so it clings to your iPad lest you lose it as easily as you might a pen; and the rubber sleeve is easy on the fingers but its still pricey.

The point is exacting however that little clear disc at the end is sure to get lost, yes, you can buy replacements for $6 (multipack) - talk about over priced! But its the best I've found with my iPad. There are many, many stylus choices out there and I'm sure that there are those that won't like this one but its exactly what you want, a well made, precision tool for your iPad that doesn't look like it cost 50 cents. Its elegant, expensive (for what it is) but also very efficient. I like it and recommend it, the only thing keeping it from 5 stars is the price, then again, that's why I waited until it was on a lightening deal to buy it!

Footloose (1984 Film)
Footloose (1984 Film)
Price: $6.99
130 used & new from $0.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the Past, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Footloose (1984 Film) (Audio CD)
Wow, look at those pictures of Kevin Bacon, remember when this movie was in the theater? Ages ago! The music here is dated and certainly riding the 80s synth wave, some of the songs stand the test of time while others really do deserve to be forgotten but if you're buying this you're buying it for nostalgic reasons. Maybe you remember sitting in the movies with your date, or dancing to these tracks at a party, maybe you had the tape and it played at the beach in your boombox; if so, then this disc is a reminder of days gone by, days that are fun to recall. So go ahead and spend a few bucks, pop this disc in the car and sing along with Kenny Loggins in traffic, you'll feel like a teenager again, after all that's who this was intended for, all of us that were teens in the 80s.

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest Of Spies
OSS 117: Cairo, Nest Of Spies
DVD ~ Jean Dujardin
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $14.25
23 used & new from $5.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Camp, pure Euro camp, December 4, 2012
I saw this movie a couple of years ago and was taken by its campy nature, its absurdity and irreverence. No, its not a French version of Naked Gun and its certainly not a Bourne or Bond wannabe, its humor, its camp and its a fun way to spend a couple of hours. Unless you speak French you'll be reading the subtitles while you enjoy the french accents and if you're game for that be prepared since European comedy timing is a bit different than what passes for humor here in the States. Overall I really enjoy this movie. Looking for something different? Give it a try, but know that there's no guarantee that you'll like it, only that you'll likely appreciate a different perspective on what passes for humor.

Best of Bond... James Bond (50th Anniversary Collection)
Best of Bond... James Bond (50th Anniversary Collection)
Price: $12.99
36 used & new from $6.28

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan of the movies, December 4, 2012
Ok, to be fair, some of the songs on here aren't the best; for instance the nails on the chalkboard aka Alicia Keys and Jack White, but that's not the point is it? No, this is one of those discs that you listen to to remember the movies, the earlier tracks are perfect for that vintage themed cocktail party you always plan to have and the later tracks can readily find a home in just about any playlist. Some of the 80s entries are a little cheesy but then again so were the movies so not much of a surprise.

I bought this purely for the nostalgia of the movies, the opportunity to relive the movies in 3 minute soundbites, not because they are necessarily favorite songs. So, if you're a fan, and I'm guessing you are otherwise you wouldn't be on this page, go ahead, the price is right and you'll enjoy the memories that this disc inspires. If you're a casual so-so fan, then skip it, its just not intended for you, and that's ok.

The Silent Land: A novel
The Silent Land: A novel
by Graham Joyce
42 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, November 26, 2012
Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to be caught and incapable of escape? Now imagine if you were captured by yourself, unable to free yourself from what you perceive as reality but in truth is anything but. To say much more is to give away too much of the plot. This hauntingly stark tale of a couple, flawed as we all are, caught in a non traditional web of deceit is quite compelling. You want to them to find the truth until you wish they don't and when they do you're sorry that they did. Its a melancholy look into a place that offers an entrance with an exit none of us would choose. Read it, its worth it.

Crashers
Crashers
by Dana Haynes
Price: $24.99
84 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Borrow, don't buy, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Crashers (Hardcover)
I had read reviews of this book that seemed to indicate it was a thriller of a book and what I found was a disjointed mishmash of mediocrity. The premise was good, the technique was interesting at first but by the halfway mark it just felt like an addled text message jumping around too much. I wanted more from the characters; I wanted to like this book more than I did, the plot, the premise, were under served by weak characters and what became a gimmicky format. I hope he has better luck with his next book.

Pyle-Pro PPEQ200 Dual 10 Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer w/Spectrum Display
Pyle-Pro PPEQ200 Dual 10 Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer w/Spectrum Display

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe if you're a DJ, November 26, 2012
This is the second Pyle equalizer I've tried recently (and the third overall if you include the Technical Pro) and all have failed me. I had high hopes for this one, the sliders lacked the irritatingly bright blue lights that plagued other models, though the output dials have this bright blue light, more about them in a minute.

First things first, taking the EQ out of the box I noticed that the small sticker that "seals" the unit marked "warning avoid opening" had been slit which to me indicates that it had been opened, not sure how well that would play out if it ever needed warranty work. Again, like the others it features a grounded plug meaning you can't plug it into the back of a receiver so you'll have another power button to press every time you listen to music. Maybe not an issue if you're a DJ.

The sliders had a quality feeling to them and they had a center spot that had a soft detent, nice. As I indicated the sliders were devoid of that annoying light which was a real pleasure. However, when I power the EQ up the first thing that I noticed was a low high pitch hum, it drove my cat crazy, she sat transfixed by one of the speakers. Not good. I toggled the EQ on and off, it was definitely introduced by the equalizer, you can't hear it when there's music but between songs or at rest its there, softly but there. With that I knew I was boxing it up to return but figured I'd share the rest of my observations. The small output dials lack markings so if its dark or even low light its hard to see their position, maybe not a big deal since you'll likely set them once and forget about them. The power button was ever so slightly crooked which didn't effect performance but made me want to straighten it out. The spectrum display was actually pretty good. I know some don't care for the pinpoint lights but trust me, compared to the bedazzled light shows of some of the others, this was a welcomed display.

After about an hour however I noticed the most glaring flaw, one channel started fading in and out randomly. I checked the output, and tested the bypass circuit; basically when the EQ was enabled there was a random fade happening, not often, but enough. Maybe that's why the warranty sticker was sliced? Well, the whole point was sound and this wasn't going to work.

In the end the EQ did an ok job of tailoring the sound but its flaws were too many. What I've learned is that these DJ oriented products don't work well in a home installation, while they may be ok for a club, bright searing lights and distortion will only aggravate the typical home user. I hate to say it but with the lack of equalizers available from the storied names of home audio, think Pioneer, Nikko, Technics, Marantz, BSR and others, I think the best bet may be eBay.

I was sorry to pack this one back up, I had high hopes and it almost delivered. But almost isn't good enough for me; maybe if you're a DJ.

Panasonic RPHJE120G In-Ear Headphone, Green
Panasonic RPHJE120G In-Ear Headphone, Green
Price: $6.30
42 used & new from $3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Better but, November 26, 2012
Gone are the days when white earbuds were all the rage, to be honest they didn't fit anyone's ears very well and their sound was nowhere near on par with a real set of headphones yet somehow they managed to convince us to adopt earbuds en mass. I use earbuds at the gym, on a plane, even when mowing the lawn. What I look for are buds that comfortably fit my ears, help quiet the outside world and have good sound quality, in all three areas these Panasonics meet my expectations.

I really like the fit, though since they are asymmetric you have to pay attention as to which bud goes into which ear, a minor extra step but worth it when they're in. They sound surprisingly crisp though they don't replace my AKGs that I use at home, these are for the gym, they get abused so I cut them some slack. What I'm not fond of is the cord; its a fairly flimsy affair and its what costs them that extra star. Its not bad, its just not as sturdy as others that I've tried. It also lacks the little slider that some earbuds have that keep the ends together when not in use. Again, not a big deal when on however the lack of it does make it easier for them to become tangled. Too bad.

Look, for the price you are not going to get high end audiophile sound, no, these are the pair that you're going to abuse; they are going to get sweaty, wet, dirty and tossed around with little regard. They reproduce good to better sound quality, they are comfortable, fairly priced and look great too; so dump the white and have some fun with the color of your choice. I'll buy these again.

Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker
Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker
Price: $29.99
65 used & new from $19.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine, November 26, 2012
I was hungry for a waffle and so I had to have this. Its not overly sturdy but then again its not a commercial product (however I am not having the best of luck with other Cuisinart products lately so am holding my breath on this one). Initially the non-stick surface was anything but however after a few waffles it seems to be work just fine. For the price its perfect but my suspicions related to recent Cuisinart quality has me thinking it will end up being replaced sooner than I'd like. For the sort term, enjoy waffles on a lazy weekend morning.

Speck Products CandyShell Grip Case for iPhone 4/4S - 1 Pack - Carrying Case  - Butternut Squash/Black
Speck Products CandyShell Grip Case for iPhone 4/4S - 1 Pack - Carrying Case - Butternut Squash/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I liked and don't, November 26, 2012
I'm a fan of the CandyShell cases however I see them as disposable. The biggest problem that I have with them is the silicone border; this edge material that helps protect the screen does exactly what its supposed to until it starts to rub off and wear. This is the second case like this I've had and it wears the same, first at the corners then further, eventually the silicone begins to wear down and starts to look shabby.

I really like the tactile feel of the ribbed back, this keeps the phone from sliding on a smooth surface however, dust WILL collect between the comb like surface and get dirty, I suppose its a small price to pay for the added grip and protection.

So yes, I do like these cases, I wish the silicone lasted longer but it doesn't. They are protective and to me attractive. I realize that I have to replace them from time to time but so far they've been worth it since I can still dock my phone (something that other rugged cases don't permit) and its still slim and sleek enough to not look like a Hummer. Maybe a limited lifespan is ok, maybe its fun to change colors now and then, I just wish it was less frequently.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5