Profile for EngrPaul > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 133

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

EngrPaul "EngrPaul" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Nature's Path Qi'a Chia Buckwheat and Hemp Cereal, Original, 7.9-Ounce
Nature's Path Qi'a Chia Buckwheat and Hemp Cereal, Original, 7.9-Ounce
Price: $8.09
6 used & new from $8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Costly but healthy, March 22, 2014
I buy the "original" version because I want no added sugar.

I add unsweetened soy milk, a couple broken up walnuts, and fresh blueberries for a healthy breakfast that I look forward to.

SUPER STUBBY 2" STUBBIE STUBBY SHORT BILLET ANTENNA HONDA S2000 2005 05
SUPER STUBBY 2" STUBBIE STUBBY SHORT BILLET ANTENNA HONDA S2000 2005 05
Offered by AWD Motorsports
Price: $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works nice on Honda S2000, March 22, 2014
Good substitute for the original S2000 - if solid and shorter is what you want.

There is no logo or writing on the antenna- it's just shiny black and plain the way I want it.

The base is inset in such a way there is no issue tightening it and seating flush.

I don't care much whether or not my reception is diminished. I never use AM/FM radio, so I can't comment on how it works. BUT I can say it looks great!

BlenderBottle Classic Black 28oz 2 Pack
BlenderBottle Classic Black 28oz 2 Pack
Offered by Foster Ave.
Price: Click here to see our price
11 used & new from $11.81

5.0 out of 5 stars BlenderBottle two-pack, black BPA-free, March 15, 2014
I use these to mix protein powder. They work well and do not leak while shaking. Mixing is not as noisy as I expected.

I am happy with my purchase. Buying two costs just a little more than one - so guess what I did? They were packaged nicely and had the original tags and labels.

My only complaint is the inside of the bottom of the cup is not rounded to match the geometry of the ball, and powder gets stuck in the bottom corners. This does not happen at the top where it is spherical shaped inside.

I washed the two spring balls at the same time. They got intertwined and were difficult to separate!

I have no problem drinking from the spout; my nose doesn't hit the lid like it does on other cups. A standard drinking straw falls below the drinking hole.

Bosal Exhaust Gasket
Bosal Exhaust Gasket
Price: $10.10
2 used & new from $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly for 1999 CR-V Header-Cat Flexible Flange, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Bosal Exhaust Gasket (Automotive)
Vehicle: 1999 Honda CR-V
Part Number: Bosal 256-303 or W0133-1637456
Part Location on car: Flexible flange connection between second header pipe and the intake to the catalytic converter.

I bought this part because I have had a loud growling sound coming from my exhaust while the engine was under load near 2200 RPM. It's been doing it for a couple years, but the car has not failed state inspection for an exhaust leak. I read reports on web forums that replacing this gasket solved the noise.

Amazon reports that this part does not work with my 99 CR-V. However, I found several resources elsewhere on the web that list part number W0133-1637456 is the right part for my car for this location in the exhaust. Upon receiving the part, I noticed the packaging lists #256-303, and the invoice in the package lists both part numbers. I suppose Bosal uses two different part numbering schemes? Confusing. Bosal's web site should be more helpful.

The part looks exactly like the current picture - a compressed metallic mesh with a tapered shape. The inside flat face goes on the header pipe, the outside spherical shape interfaces with the face of the flange on the catalytic converter intake. I also replace the original hardware with a Walker 35129 Exhaust Spring Bolt Kit.

The OEM gasket that came out looked like it may have started life as the same shape. It was compressed to a solid donut, and the converter intake had a hard mark from the end of the header pipe. What I suspect is the donut was compacted smaller than the space it is meant to operate in, and could move about behind a slight gap between pipes. As the exhaust stream hits a certain frequency, the pulses probably pushed this heavy donut in and out within that space. The hammering of the part probably made the sound.

Now the car no longer makes that growling noise. I'm happy I purchased this item.

Walker 35129 Exhaust Spring Bolt Kit
Walker 35129 Exhaust Spring Bolt Kit
Price: $10.38
11 used & new from $6.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for my 99 CRV, March 15, 2014
This was a supplemental purchase when I replaced my exhaust flange gasket on my 1999 Honda CRV, where the header pipe exits to the catalytic converter intake, and a flexible connection is used.

I bought this bolt kit before changing that gasket because I saw lots of rust on the 15-year old bolts I was going to take off. I expected to mangle the OEM nuts and bolts on disassembly. I was right!

The bolts on this kit are a bit different than OEM but worked acceptably, while being MUCH cheaper than buying genuine Honda parts individually. The springs were not closed and ground like the ones I took off. I guess that's what you get for less than $9.

I was a bit surprised that the springs compressed to solid, but that could have something to do with using a brand new flange gasket.

I found the bolts to be long enough. A single vice grip to squeeze the flanges together enabled me to get the nuts started onto the bolt threads. I didn't have to compress the springs like others report. I needed a 13 mm wrench for the nut and a 14 mm wrench for the bolt.

RCA RCD30 High Quality Alarm Clock with 1.4-Inch red LED display
RCA RCD30 High Quality Alarm Clock with 1.4-Inch red LED display
Price: $9.99
44 used & new from $8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars RCA RCD30 High Quality Alarm Clock with 1.4-Inch red LED display, March 7, 2014
This review is for the RED big-digit version.

I prefer a L.E.D. clock for the nightstand, where each digit is lit by a light source. I dislike backlit L.C.D. clocks because the digits disappear when viewing at a low angle, like when your head hits the pillow.

Plug-in clocks consume steady power and spend the day warming the room. This is energy star rated, but that doesn't really tell you what that means. I measured the power consumption using a Kill-a-Watt meter. It consumes 1.7W on low dimmer, 1.8W on high. Over the course of a year this will cost me a little over a dollar, not bad at all. FYI - The power factor is 0.45.

For such a small & lightweight clock, it is stable and doesn't slide around. The digits are brighter in the middle than they are at the ends of the segments, which some people might not like. For me, it's retro and I like it. The 6 foot cord reaches the wall plug just fine.

When you put in a 9V battery backup, nothing on the display changes. There is no battery status indicator. This means you will need to test your 9V backup battery elsewhere to know whether or not it is fresh enough to keep the time in the event of a power failure.

Most of the clock settings switches are hidden on the back. The rear black-on-black text is hard to read, you just have to get used to where the slide switches are and how to use them. The one turns the alarm on and off, and the indicator on the same side as the switch lights up accordingly - easy enough. But the one on the left is a three-way switch, and the "home" position is the center position, which is very difficult to land on without going past to the time setting mode. In this position, the time doesn't flash despite being ready to be set. In this position, when the alarm goes off and you hit the snooze bar, you end up changing the time because the snooze bar doubles as the H and M advance button. The switch and button arrangement is quirky but it only took me a week to get used to it.

The alarm has the typical annoying screaming beep these clock have had for many years. It wakes me immediately, but it's not quite enough to provide a heart attack. The brightness levels are good - I use low because our bedroom is generally dark. High gives it a little boost, and might be beneficial for other places around the house where you want to see the clock from a greater distance. If you don't like how it works as an alarm clock, I'm sure you could find another place in the house where you could use a high visibility clock.

In summary, this is a basic LED alarm clock with a great price point of $10. The major deficiency is the lack of battery backup indicator.

Zadro Acrylic Hand Mirror with 1X - 7X Magnification, Acrylic Finish
Zadro Acrylic Hand Mirror with 1X - 7X Magnification, Acrylic Finish
Offered by Freedom Hill, LLC
Price: $16.99
15 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality hand mirror, March 7, 2014
Bought this mirror after another "Goody" mirror broke.

I was surprised by the clarity of the glass and the quality of the acrylic body. It's very solid. The 7x magnification is just right for seeing some detail that a 5X mirror isn't good enough.

I am very happy that I spent just a little bit more and got several times the quality.

The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook: Over 100 Recipes for Any Program Level
The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook: Over 100 Recipes for Any Program Level
by Diane Sanfilippo BS NC
Price: $22.10
54 used & new from $18.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Cooking, March 7, 2014
I bought this as a stand-alone cookbook because it matches the way I eat - not for a detox.

Purchased from Amazon after seeing it on the bookshelf. I liked the excellent pictures, easy instructions, and restrained list of ingredients for each recipe.

A few years ago I reached the "obese" weight for my height. Deprivation diets did not give me sustained weight loss, because as soon as I started eating sweet things again I would start craving more. Instead, I replaced sugary/starchy foods and with exactly the sorts of things in this book and started learning about nutrition. I am happy to say I am exactly at my optimum weight and I never have to "diet" anymore.

Food tastes better once your body gets used to not relying on sugars for taste and to boost energy. I encourage everyone to try to go 21 days with a low-sugar diet and break the health-robbing reliance on carbohydrates. Learn how to balance your diet with protein, healthy fats, and carbs from whole foods not added sugar, and make it a way of life.

Replacement Battery for Braun Oral-b Triumph Professional Care Toothbrush, 42 mm L X 17 mm D
Offered by E Toothbrush Care
Price: $4.05
3 used & new from $4.05

5.0 out of 5 stars 42mm Replacement Battery for my Braun Oral-B Pro 5000, March 7, 2014
I ordered this item for my Oral-B Pro 5000 electric toothbrush because the device does not hold a charge as long as it originally did after 2.5 years usage. I notice the unit is not as powerful when not "hot off the charger", and goes right from 3 of 4 bars to fully discharged during use. For your reference, I have always deep cycled the original cell: Fully charged the toothbrush, then run the unit until the battery is empty before charging again.

I followed the online instructions on disassembly to verify the cell size before ordering the 42mm version. The trick to disassembly is to pry the base a little bit after a couple turns of the bottom screw, not just depending on the screw to force the bottom off. The dried toothpaste acts like glue. Also, it's necessary to put a screwdriver in to lift the two white tabs out of the base, without lifting the center of them which disconnects the coil. The tool I had to go look for was a T6 torx bit. It wasn't a tight screw - you might be able to remove it using a small flat-blade screwdriver of the right size.

First thing I did on receipt of this NiMH cell is test it for capacity. I did this on a MAHA MH-C9000 charger/analyzer using alligator clip wire assemblies from the tester terminals to the tabs. I used "recharge/analyze" with 500mA discharge & 1000mA charge settings, same as what I use for a AA cell. I did two charge cycles. Both cycles came in at 1810 mA*h, which is 84% of the rated capacity.

I just finished installing the cell and the toothbrush works. Despite a full charge on the cell, the display comes up blinking the empty battery symbol. I suspect the brush's CPU is reset, and the indicator is not a true indication of cell capacity until a full discharge occurs. For reference, I tested the capacity of the old cell which was removed: only 320 mA*h. So yes indeed, it was time to replace it.

The leads of this cell are not like the picture - they are too wide and do not contain the punched holes. This means it's necessary to trim the tails to about 1/3 width using scissors - a bit of clumsy to accomplish because they are welded at the far end. The leads are also much thinner gage than the original and get kicked around when trying to snap in the cell. At least they are ductile and do not fatigue much after repeat bending, and sufficient length to go through the PCB properly.

Manufacturer: If the product has changed - please change the picture and add instructions how to properly trim the leads. Better yet, go back to the previous tail design.

Bottom line - the battery fits the toothbrush properly, powers the unit, and the instructions are sufficient for an do-it-yourselfer to get the job done. For the price paid, I would expect the cell would come in closer to it's rated capacity and the leads would be sized correctly.

Update: The toothbrush has been used day and night for a week since the original charge and install. It's still going strong! I am pleased that I did not have to purchase a new brush. I changed my review to 5 stars (up from 4) because I'm so pleased that this product is available and performs quite well.

Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp
Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp
Offered by UUMART LIMITED
Price: $3.69
137 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars "Blue Top" sells a good 3-Mode version of this light, July 25, 2013
As typical with Amazon sales pages with multiple vendors, the product may vary by seller. I received a good quality light from a seller called "Blue Top" for $4.00.

The light has "UltraFire" silkscreened on one side and "Cree" on the other. The battery spring is gold plated.

The focus is accomplished by sliding the collar in and out. With the collar slid out, you get tight focus. an image of the LED emitter is projected. Slide the collar back to the compact position, you get wide focus moderately broad beam. This can be done with one hand using the thumb and forefinger while the light is in your grasp. There is a roughness to the sliding which helps retain a position mid-focus.

The emitter appears to be Cree XP-E. It's definitely cool white, but not too bluish.

The light I received is 3-mode. Changing modes is accomplished by bumping the switch. It is a "reverse-clicky" switch.

High > Low > Strobe

Using a recently charged Sanyo eneloop NiMH cell, here is the current consumption from the battery (bypassing the switch):

On high, 160 mA (Estimate 1.5 hour runtime)
On low, 55 mA (Estimate 40 hours runtime)

If you want the full brightness advertised, you'll need to purchase a special battery called an 14500, which has a higher voltage than typical AA batteries and also requires a special charger. If you don't already have this type of cell, don't bother running out to get one. You'll spend much more than the price of the light, and the wow factor isn't really there. It's good enough for many tasks with an AA battery.

The pocket clip is horrendously tight. It's painful to try to spread it with my finger. Certainly won't fall off whatever you put it on, though it might tear it up a bit. At least it provides anti-roll.

The finish is a bit imperfect, just what I would expect for $4.00. When you sit the light down on it's bezel the lens touches the surface.

I am glad I bought from "Blue Top". I received it 10 days after I bought it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14