Profile for Sheri in Reho > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 476

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sheri in Reho RSS Feed (Rehoboth Beach, DE)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Misomi Women's One Shoulder Shirts Love Print Tops
Misomi Women's One Shoulder Shirts Love Print Tops
Price: $8.19 - $9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Sized small and has some raw (unseamed) edges, but is nice looking and feels soft as well., May 14, 2015
Color: In the only picture on the Amazon product page, the shirt appears off-white or even cream, but in reality the shirt is bright white. It is likely the lighting in which the model was photographed that made the shirt appear cream.

Sizing. I have the XL size. I didn't even try it on as I could tell there was no way I would ever wear it much less photograph myself wearing it for this review (trust me, you'll thank me haha). However, I am Big Sister to a 9 1/2 year old girl and I asked her to try it on to give customers an idea of the sizing so they can decide if it might fit them (see picture below). Note that the Amazon product page says "Size: S/M/L/XL, asia smaller size." When I was offered this shirt in exchange for a fair and honest review, either the "asia smaller size" wasn't there yet or I missed it, because I would have never agreed to review it if I'd seen that.

If you are American, then you know that what is sold as an XL in Kohl's or Target and what is sold as an XL by a top name brand (Tommy Hilfiger, Anne Klein, etc.) are totally different things. This XL is much more in line with the top name brand sizing (runs small).

Labelling: I could not find ANYTHING on the shirt that says what fabric it is made from and I find that highly unusual (I don't think that's even legal if it had been made in the US). The Amazon product page says "cotton blend/thin fabric, comfortable and breathable." The fabric has a nice feel to it and is not that "see through" kind of thin. I found the laundering instructions confusing and a bit lacking; then again, this is not all that surprising given that the shirt was not made in the US.

Quality: According to the Amazon product page, this shirt is intended to either be worn off one shoulder or off both shoulders. As a long-time sewer, I was quite surprised to see that collar/top edge of the shirt is raw; i.e., it is not hemmed. It is stitched (with a stretch stitch) to allow the neckline to stretch over the shoulder without ripping, but the edge is raw. Same with the edges of the sleeves. However, the shirt's BOTTOM hem is not only hemmed but very nicely hemmed. Photos included below to show raw edges.

Stretch: The fabric has a little stretch width-wise, but not much, and has no stretch length-wise.

3 1/2 stars
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lifesky Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Drink Bottle Thermos Travel Mug Cup with Handle 18-Ounce (Champagne)
Offered by Top Dream
Price: $19.49
3 used & new from $16.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly impressive performance at keeping beverages hot or cold!, May 7, 2015
Length:: 4:05 Mins

The Life Sky Stainless Steel Thermos promises that it can keep liquids hot or cold for up to 12 hours, and it absolutely delivers on that promise, at least for cold beverages. During my cold test, I still had cold water and a few ice cube remains in the thermos after TWENTY-FOUR HOURS! While I tested the thermos for hot beverages, I forgot to test it for the full twelve hours. I did test it for 5 and it did well.

Another thing Life Sky promises of this thermos is that it is leak-proof. Again, it passed this test with flying colors. I never saw a drip of either the cold or hot beverages I used to test the thermos--not even any sign of condensation or pooling.

One thing I really liked was that the OUTSIDE of the thermos remains largely unaffected by its contents. In other words, the thermos filled with piping-hot coffee remains VERY easy to handle...not at all hot. The thermos filled with ice cubes over many hours did feel chilled, but by no means difficult to handle.

The thermos itself is made of double-walled stainless steel, while the lid and cup are made out of BPA-free plastic. While I've seen reviews that say the thermos and its parts are dishwasher safe, I could not find anything on the product page or the product packaging that says this is true.

The thermos holds 18 ounces of liquid and has a built-in cup. The product packaging warns against using this thermos for milk or carbonated beverages.

This product was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. A five-star review from me is high praise. For me to give a product 5 stars, it has to live up to its claims and really impress me, and this thermos did both!

Highly recommended.

FitFlop Womens's Rokkit Flip Flop,Silver Nova,5 M US
FitFlop Womens's Rokkit Flip Flop,Silver Nova,5 M US
Price: $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp looking, comfortable and supportive sandal/flip flop., May 7, 2015
I have severe arthritis in my knees, so I wear good quality sneakers with orthotics most of the time but, when I want to wear a sandal or flip flop, it has to be one with some support or I am in pain before I even leave the house. I ordered these Rokkit Flip Flops in Silver Nova to use for pedicures, since they leave all my toes free for my nail tech to paint my toenails and are also pretty and supportive.

Every time I have worn these shoes, I not only get compliments on how pretty they are, but I get and questions about the brand and where I got them. They are very pretty. I love the gray with the silver sparkles...it goes really nicely together. Sharp looking for sure!

I usually suffer for several days after wearing any sandal or flip flop, and all my sandals and flip flops are very good quality. These I can wear most of the day, especially after a pedicure to give the polish time to dry and set really well, and not suffer too much. There have been days when I wore them and wasn't getting a pedicure and could have changed into sneakers when I got home, but forgot because the Fit Flops are comfortable.

For most people, who do not have severe pain in their joints, I think these could easily be worn all day long with no trouble.

I also love that the footbed is not completely flat and provides support. I usually can't wear most shoes without an orthotic insert to provide more arch support, but these are built to do that without adding anything.

I usually wear a size 6 in sneakers to allow for socks, but in flip flops and such, I can usually wear a 5 or 5 1/2. Since these shoes do not come in half sizes, I took a chance and went with a size 5. They are snug on my wide, chubby feet, but not over snug. I would rather them be a bit snug than so loose that I walk out of them, because that is even harder on my painful knees.

All in all, a good option for people who need more support than bargain store flip flops provide. And nice looking too!

Abyss Pets 2-in-1 Convertible Pet-Bed & House - Great for Dogs and Cats - One Simple Fold Converts from House to Bed - Made of Tough & Durable Material & Soft Mat Inside for Comfort. Satisfaction Guaranteed! (Brown/White, Large (< 25 LB))
Offered by Waloo Products
Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is off, but it is a cute, comfortable bed., May 7, 2015
My Shih Tzu, Missy, is forever going under the footrest of my recliner in the evenings while I watch TV, and I'm afraid of hurting her if I have to get up quickly. I figured the reason she was choosing to lie there, over her other options, was that it was darker under there. When I saw this 2-in-1 cube/bed, I figured that would be dark and she'd love it. Well, yes and no.

I started out with the bed in its cube form. She only went in it once or twice on her own, and then only to "dig" (something many dogs do and Shih Tzus LOVE to do). So I collapsed it into the bed, and she started going in it more often, but would always "throw" the very thick pillow it comes with out of the bed. I kept putting the pillow back in and she kept throwing it back out. I soon realized this is because the bed was too small for her. Missy weighs 19 pounds, so I bought the LARGE bed, which said it was for dogs up to 25 pounds; she is 6 pounds under the weight limit and the bed is still too small! I was going to send the bed back and get a refund, but Missy started laying in it a lot and seemed to really enjoy it (without the cushion/pillow), so I decided to keep it. She either sleeps curled up in a ball on the "floor" of the bed or sleeps with her body taking up the full "floor" of the bed and her head resting on the side or entrance to the bed.

This bed has become her favorite place to "dig to China" as I jokingly call it. Since digging can be quite a rambunctious activity, I can attest to the claims that this bed is tough and durable. It doesn't LOOK like it would be but, so far, it is holding up. The inside "floor" of the bed (without the cushion/pillow) is lightly padded. The sides, because they are basically doubled when using it as a bed vs. the cube, are thick and cushiony. The bottom (underside) of the bed is sort of a pebbly vinyl or plastic.

The product page doesn't say anything about the bed being washable. I wouldn't attempt it personally, because I tried to wash a previous bed of Missy's that had a similar fabric on the bottom and it disintegrated in the laundering process.

The bed is very lightweight, so it could go with you in the car. I can see this being a very nice car bed for a small dog because of it's high protective sides. It also has a small footprint (the amount of space it takes up) and I like that because I can put it in front of my end table and it fits perfectly.

Finally, when we first got the bed, and Missy wouldn't use the cube, I stuck my head in there to entice her to go in...WHOA...very smelly...like a chemical smell. As a bed, I didn't notice the smell because it's open, but with the cube being fully enclosed except for the little round doorway, it was really strong (then again, I am fragrance sensitive). I wondered if that contributed to Missy not wanting to use the bed in cube form.

2 stars for the cube (way too small for anything but a TINY dog, especially with the thick cushion in there, and smelly of chemicals)
4 stars for the bed (still too small, but Missy loves it and it's soft and cushiony.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Perfect Daughters (Revised Edition): Adult Daughters of Alcoholics
Perfect Daughters (Revised Edition): Adult Daughters of Alcoholics
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes dry and scientific, but very helpful. Covers a lot of territory related to this issue, including recovery., April 30, 2015
Perfect Daughters sometimes reads like a thesis--dry and technical with lots of quotes from other sources. This would usually turn me off, but I kept reading because there was much helpful information and much of it was presented in a way that made it easier to digest.

The basics of personality traits shared by adult children of alcoholics were not new to me, as I had long ago read another book that was generalized to ALL adult children of alcoholics. However, the specifics in this book about how daughters were impacted was very helpful. I can see a huge difference how growing up in an alcoholic household impacted my brothers vs. myself and how they handle it (much better than I!).

Dr. Ackerman spends a good bit of time on recovery; i.e., how we daughters can move past our childhood and leave the past in the past. In regard to that topic, I wish I had read this book long ago as I did the other book. It took me a long time to work through on my own how to leave the past in the past. At 62, I am still not 100% successful at that, but I have come a LONG way from where I was in my 20s.

If you are a daughter of an alcoholic, I recommend this book to help clarify why you think and feel the way you do, and to help with recovery. I also recommend this book for those who are dating or married to an adult daughter of an alcoholic, as I think it would help you understand why we react to things the way we do based on our past.

Note that this is a revised edition of the earlier book of the same name. It includes quotes from actual adult daughters in each chapter. I sometimes found those more helpful than the text of the book because they were so relatable and down-to-earth. Great idea to include them in the revision!

4.25 stars

Elite Collection by Conair Variable LED Lighting Mirror, Satin Nickel Finish
Elite Collection by Conair Variable LED Lighting Mirror, Satin Nickel Finish
Price: $64.96
20 used & new from $58.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the oval shape and 10X magnification, but wish it were brighter and easier to use., April 29, 2015
I must admit that I was a little disappointed when I first received this mirror, but chose to keep it and have been using it for quite some time now.

Things I like:

1. Oval shape. I much prefer the oval shape of this mirror to the smaller round mirrors. It better reflects face shape.
2. 10X magnification. I am 62 and wouldn't be able to put my makeup on accurately without this level of magnification.
3. Two sides/two magnifications. I like that it has a "regular" side and a highly magnified side.

Things I dislike or am not crazy about:

1. Swivel/tilt. I've had numerous mirrors over the years that swiveled to switch from magnifying side to normal side, but I have never seen anything like the swivel mechanism on this mirror. It's obnoxious, and I don't see a reason/purpose for it to be the way it is.
2. Lighting levels. I have had makeup mirrors with varying light levels in the past and, while I used one setting most of the time, the others were at least somewhat useful for evening makeup, etc. Again, this is probably an age thing, but I can't see well enough to even use the other levels on this mirror so I always keep it on the highest/brightest setting.
3. Light switch. I've had everything from touch lights to a myriad of light switches, but this switch is different than anything I've had. Since I use the highest setting all of the time, I can see this light switch dying before its time because I have to go past the other settings to get to high.
4. Light brightness. Even on high, this mirror's brightness is just enough for meto do detailed makeup work. If I didn't have the big light fixture I have in my bathroom, I doubt I could see enough to use this mirror.

If you are young with great eyesight and you have good lighting where you do your makeup, several of my "cons" may not apply to you.

I have owned countless makeup mirrors over the years. Some of them were okay but none of them were GREAT. I wonder why it is so hard for these companies to make a really great makeup mirror? It's frustrating.

3 stars = "just okay"

Comfort Products 50-1001 Stanton Computer Desk with Pullout Keyboard Tray
Comfort Products 50-1001 Stanton Computer Desk with Pullout Keyboard Tray
Offered by Candela Network

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, a small but excellent computer desk., April 18, 2015
Length:: 0:45 Mins

I decided I wanted to move my PC to the livingroom, but there is VERY little space there for another piece of furniture. I decided that, if I could find a desk that would fit in the 29" space along the first section of my breakfast bar, I'd do it. This desk came up in my search and, sure enough, it fits in that space!

Assembly was a snap. I assembled the desk by myself in maybe 30 minutes. The instructions were clear (and I've had some humdingers this past year, so it was a blessing to have clear, simple instructions for a change). The only downside is that every screw but the 4 used for the keyboard tray use one of those provided hex wrenches, or whatever you call them (see the hardware shot in my video). It makes assembly SO much slower than being able to use a power screwdriver.

Another thing I really liked about the assembly process is that the screws tightened very well and the finished desk is quite sturdy! I have not found this to be true of some other products that were inexpensive, so that was a bonus!

There is one important wrinkle to the assembly: if you assemble the keyboard tray as instructed, you will NOT be able to pull the tray out all the way and therefore will NOT have full view of your keyboard. I was alerted to this in the reviews, so I knew to watch out for it. Sure enough, when I was preparing to complete assembly by adding 4 small screws to hold in the keyboard tray, I quickly saw that this was not going to be acceptable for me. Since the tray fits quite security into the sliding mechanism, and since my keyboard tray is wireless and lightweight, I decided to just place the tray in the sliding mechanism and see if I could get away with NO screws. I'm not going to say this is the solution for EVERYONE, but it has worked very well for me. I haven't had a single problem thus far (almost 2 weeks).

The other option I considered was to drill new holes in the tray that would allow it to pull out further than the original holes. If I have to, I'll do that. However, the tray appears to be made of some sort of composite and I know from experience that can be tough to drill through precisely, at least for me as I don't have a great deal of upper body strength or grip strength when using a drill.

Speaking of the keyboard tray, I found it JUST big enough to house both my wireless keyboard and my wireless mouse. There isn't a lot room for the mouse to roam, but it has been adequate for me thus far. Also, you probably won't be able to fit a standard mouse pad in there.

As for the desk size, well, it is small...much smaller than I'm used to...but I'm making it work. I have a Dell all-in-one PC where the hard drive and everything is housed inside the monitor. The monitor takes up three-quarters of the width of the desk's top. I was just barely able to squeeze in a little mail organizer next to the monitor where I keep my bills and such. In front of the monitor, I have room for a desk calendar, my phone, a notepad, a pencil cup and my water bottle.

I really am enjoying my new desk. I took off three quarters of a star for the keyboard tray not pulling all the way out when installed by the directions, because that can make a HUGE difference in how one might enjoy (or not enjoy) this desk.

4.25 stars.

InterDesign Rain Power Lock Suction, 2-Tier Shelf, Clear
InterDesign Rain Power Lock Suction, 2-Tier Shelf, Clear
Price: $23.99
3 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent product from InterDesign!, April 8, 2015
I never fail to be impressed by InterDesign products. For inexpensive products, they are always nice looking, and that applies to this 2-tier shower shelf. I have a fiberglass shower enclosure and this fit perfectly on the end opposite the showerhead. I keep my body wash, shave gel and shampoo on the top shelf and my Buf Puf, my foot scrub and my pumice on the bottom shelf. Note that tall items like shampoo and body wash bottles can only fit on the top shelf. The bottom shelf is short and for more like tools than products.

Including this shelf, I have had 5 suction cup products in my shower in the past few years. ALL of them, except this one so far (fingers crossed) lose suction and fall off the wall at least occasionally. One soap dish falls off the wall a LOT and, as a result, I've reduced its star rating. This shelf has only been up a couple of days, but shows no sign of coming down and I hope it will stay up a long time, because with the shampoo and such on there, if it comes down, it will be a big boom! (Invariably, the things that fall in there seem to do so at night, waking me up and scaring the bejesus out of me!)

I'm so happy with this product that I've already ordered a second one for my guest bathroom!

Calvin Klein Performance Women's Polar Fleece Hooded Jacket, Peony, X-Large
Calvin Klein Performance Women's Polar Fleece Hooded Jacket, Peony, X-Large
Price: $35.99

3.0 out of 5 stars SUPER Undersized for an XL. Not even close! But very nice quality fleece jacket., April 5, 2015
Hard to come up with a rating for a jacket that is super nice quality, very soft, nice weight to it...but is so ridiculously small that it has no chance of fitting me. I should have known better buying an XL in a brand like Calvin Klein and expecting it to be a true XL. I have coats, fleece jackets, hoodies and all sorts of things in XL that zip up fine. This thing I could barely even get the two sides of the jacket to join together. WOW!!!!

P.S. The Peony color of pink is VERY bright. I was hoping it would be more of a muted rose color.

Take Me With You
Take Me With You
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly enjoyable story with some disturbing elements., April 4, 2015
This review is from: Take Me With You (Kindle Edition)
I originally discovered Catherine Ryan Hyde through the Amazon Prime Kindle Lending Library when one of her books popped up as the first recommendation. I read that book and enjoyed it, so when I went to the Lending Library again recently, I specifically looked for Hyde's books and came across this one. I found this book even better than the one I'd read before.

I really enjoyed that this book is a little of everything:

Travelogue: The characters spend a great deal of the book on long summer trips in a motor home, most of it going to National Parks in the western half of the United States. Since I hadn't been to any of those parks except Yosemite, it was interesting to me to read about them. Because the book also deals with an adult travelling with children who had never been to these places, there is a good bit of explanation about the parks and the attractions in the parks, especially in regard to Yellowstone.

Science lesson: The main character is a jaded science teacher who learns new appreciation for teaching while explaining things about the parks and their attractions to children. So instead of just "we visited Yellowstone National Park," you get a description of how and why geysers work.

Coming of age story: One of the children in the story ages from small child to teen and the other from early teen to adult. Because of the influence of an adult other than their parents, there is definitely a coming of age in the book...a change in their lives and perspectives that is positive.

Informative story about alcoholism: Two of the adults in the story are alcoholics. The story takes you through attending AA meetings and some of the basic tenets of AA as well as some of the psychology of alcoholism and its effects on other people in the alcoholic's life, especially children.

Redemption story: There isn't as much redemption as the reader may hope for, but there definitely is a redemption story within the book.

Rock climbing as a passion: One of the characters becomes an avid rock climber, so you get to go along on some climbs and learn a little about free climbing as well as climbing with ropes.

I think perhaps one reason that this story resonated so much with me is that it paralleled my own story in some ways. I was also a child of an alcoholic father, my mother also left when I was young and my life and who I am were deeply impacted by both of those things. If you are in the same situation (or even if you aren't), you may find this book disturbing. I know many parents who find it too disturbing to read about children in dangerous or unhappy circumstances. If you are one of those people, I'd suggest you skip this book. While there is perhaps no outright physical abuse in this story, there is a boatload of neglect and just general bad parenting.

I find Ms. Hyde's writing quite enjoyable. She does a lovely job of describing the beauty and grandeur of the places the characters are visiting so that you can picture it in your mind and almost be along for the ride. I loved the characters she created. Each of the children had a very distinct (and quite opposite) personality. If you are an adult child of an alcoholic, you probably know that there are often typical roles that children have within an alcoholic family. My personality aligns very much with Seth, the older boy in the story, who wants everything to be perfect.

There are only two areas where I felt a little let down by the story. One was how the absence of the children's mother was handled. I felt it was given VERY short shrift. I forget now how old the kids were when their mother left. Maybe they were very young and that's why the author decided to gloss over it, but I can tell you from personal experience that it has a profound impact and I only felt that a time or two in this entire story. The other was in the portrayal of the alcoholic father. Granted, he is not in the story as much as the other adult and the children. Still, I felt like he was painted too much with one brush. Not that he was 100% evil, but that he didn't have nearly as many shades to him as the other characters.

Highly recommended book, unless you have sensitivity to issues previously discussed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20