Profile for S. Pellenz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Pellenz "Wonko55" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Camry 110 Lbs Luggage Scale with Temperature Sensor and Tare Function Without Backlight Gift For Traveler, Silver, One Size
Price: $11.50
8 used & new from $10.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, December 8, 2013
Battery level was "lo" on arrival although the LCD was crisp and intense. Changing the battery did not remedy the situation. Considering the price for the article I did not bother to contact the customer service.

Giro Xar Cycling Helmet
Giro Xar Cycling Helmet
Price: $57.07 - $501.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Xen, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Giro Xar Cycling Helmet (Sports)
The Xar replaces my four year old Xen. The Xen was probably my favorite bike helmet of all that I have owned over the years. Naturally I had high expectation for the Xar since it has been introduced to replace the Xen.
However, in that respect it does fall short for me. The helmet has pretty much the same shape as the Xen and the fit is just as good (for my head) and the coverage is equally good. The RocLoc 5 retention system works better than the RocLoc 4 on the Xen although I doubt that it will be as easy to use in cold weather with thick gloves. The visor is easy to adjust in order to keep the sun out of your eyes or the visor itself out of your sight.
The biggest drawback of the Xar compared to the Xen is that the aeration simply doesn't work as well. I never felt the urge to take off the Xen even on hot summer days when grinding up a steep climb. The Xar even felt too warm on an road ride on an overcast day.
It's a good helmet in its own right and I would recommend it. However, compared to its predecessor I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed with this helmet.

ASUS G74SX-XA1 Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop - Black
ASUS G74SX-XA1 Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, December 10, 2011
I've been using this computer for one month now and I am very happy with the purchase.
I got this machine primarily for two reasons: occasional gaming is obviously one of them. The G74SX has been designed for this and there are various reviews on amazon and the internet that serve as testament for the capabilities of this computer and I will not cover this any further here.
The second purpose is processing of next generation sequencing data from an Illumina machine. These data sets can easily reach 10-15Gb (as long as the data is in a text based format) and a reference genome to which the obtained reads have to be aligned to comprises typically another couple of Gb for a mammalian genome. All this to say that there can't be too much RAM in a computer for this application. A second point is that the speed of the data processing correlates directly with the number of processor cores. Hence I was looking for a portable computer with at least 16Gb of RAM and a quad-core processor. Another prerequisite for me was (at least) a 17" screen. The G74SX is one of the laptops that fit this bill and considering the price tag there are not many competitors out there.

My choice was the XA1 since it comes with only one hard disc. It was clear to me that I wanted a Crucial M4 SSD as primary disk and didn't want the 2x750Gb setup of most of the other G74SX versions. The upgrade from 12Gb to 16Gb was a cheap and easy one.

I set up the computer as a dual boot system with Win 7 Ultimate (64bit) for games and Ubuntu 11.10 for work. Both of them work great and I didn't have any issues with either of them, in particular driver related. The computer performs as hoped for data processing which makes me less dependent on the work station at work, something I am very happy about.

It has been mentioned in previous reviews that the touchpad is not among the best ones out there and that Asus made a strange choice of omitting the NumLock key in favor of a (rather useless) calculator button. I do agree with both of these points. However, I dislike touch pads in general and therefore have deactivated it on this computer as well, which was not a problem. And I mainly use the number block for tables, not games. So it doesn't bother me too much either. The "delete" key on my keyboard demands some conviction in order to be used but by now I don't even remark that anymore. The build quality of the chassis is great: it feels very sturdy and the cooling system works as advertised. The computer had a lot of more or less useful software installed, which I didn't care about anyway because I did a clean install of Windows (and Ubuntu). The driver disk that the computer comes with was very helpful in getting all the necessary (Windows 7) drivers and utilities installed quickly without the need to download and manually install every single one of them.

In spite of being overall very happy with this computer I almost bumped down the rating to four stars because I bricked the BIOS on the day the computer arrived when flashing it (it came with version 201), although I used the built in Easy Flash utility. A quick look into the Asus ROG forum revealed that this happens quite often and is covered by the warranty. However, amazon generously replaced the bricked computer with a new one quickly and for the second one the BIOS flash worked perfectly.

In summary, I recommend this computer without any hesitation. The failed BIOS update was unfortunate but not computer or manufacturer specific. I am sure this computer can handle most (if not all) that might be thrown at it now and for a long time to come.

Samsung MV-3T4G4 4GB DDR3 Laptop SDRAM (1333MHz PC3-10600)
Samsung MV-3T4G4 4GB DDR3 Laptop SDRAM (1333MHz PC3-10600)
Offered by green tech
Price: $46.99
2 used & new from $46.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for Asus G74SX, November 9, 2011
I used one 4GB module to increase the total RAM in an Asus G74SX from 12GB to 16GB and it worked flawlessly. The module is about 2/3 of the normal size which might come handy if the inside of your computer is a bit cramped.

ASUS Eee PC 1015PN-PU17-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook (Black)
ASUS Eee PC 1015PN-PU17-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good netbook but..., December 28, 2010
First of all, I do like this netbook. I got it for my wife and she is very happy with it. For such a small device it is rather powerful and seeing HD videos up to 1080p run (almost) flawlessly from a netbook is rather impressive.

So, why only three stars? Simply put, it is too expensive. I did not even bother to switch on the computer before changing the 1GB memory module for a 2GB Crucial one (the one recommended by amazon). Fortunately that worked fine for me but I read other reviews where this exact combination of computer and memory module caused problems. Finding the right RAM for a netbook does not seem to be as straightforward as it should be, regardless of manufacturer. Furthermore, I immediately wiped the hard disk clean of the useless Windows 7 Starter edition and Asus' bloat ware. The hard disk comes partitioned in four partitions. Tow visible ones for Windows and data and two hidden ones for Asus' proprietary little OS and the recovery partition. The proprietary OS is supposed to save you time to boot Windows if you just want to e.g. check quickly something on the internet. However, it is way too slow and the partition just a waste of space. So I repartioned the hard disk and put Windows 7 Professional on the computer in order to get Optimus running - one of the main reasons to get an ION netbook. Again I got lucky because it worked without a problem. But there are countless threads on various forums on the internet of people that can't get Optimus working on this computer after installing a real Windows 7 distribution.

In Europe this computer is optionally sold with Windows 7 Home Premium and 2GB RAM, i.e. at a slightly higher price tag you get a computer that works fine out of the box. After installing the RAM and Windows 7 Professional my wife's 1015PN was more expensive than Asus' more powerful 12in ION netbook. I was aware of that before ordering the computer and chose the 10in version because my wife liked the smaller form factor, plus a 12in screen kind of defeats the netbook idea. However, considering its shortcomings I would not recommend the 1015PN without reservations.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2011 11:30 AM PDT

Crucial 2GB Single DDR3 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) CL7 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Module CT25664BC1067
Offered by Computer Memory Solutions
Price: $22.00
4 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Crucial CT25664BC1067 for Asus Eee PC 1015PN, December 25, 2010
After studying reviews of various RAM modules for Netbooks from different producers I was prepared for a lengthy ordeal to find the correct one for my wife's Asus 1015PN netbook. I ordered this one because it was the Amazon recommendation but was mentally prepared to send it back when it arrived. I am lucky to say that it worked fine in my case. The memory module that I received has eight chips instead of 16 which seems to be something to make sure when ordering. I was oblivious to this fact and just got lucky. For me this product worked in the Asus 1015PN and I am happy with it.