Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for David S. > Reviews

Browse

David S.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David S. RSS Feed (Lee, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
SILENT WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 2)
SILENT WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 8, 2015
Superb as all of Forster's legal thrillers are!

Nikon D600 For Dummies
Nikon D600 For Dummies
by Julie Adair King
Price: $17.61
50 used & new from $1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better that a 'tech' manual, August 7, 2015
This review is from: Nikon D600 For Dummies (Paperback)
As with my D3100 Nikon for Dummies book, another Julie Adair success. So much better that a 'tech' manual.

HOSTILE WITNESS (Thriller/legal thriller): A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 1)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 3, 2015
Loved it...My first, but definitely not my last Rebecca Forster book.

Nikon Coolpix S2800 Point and Shoot Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) International Version No Warranty
Offered by trusted tech
Price: $86.95
23 used & new from $71.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice little camera, March 31, 2015
Very nice little camera. I bought this for our Mexican vacation so I wouldn't have to lug around my DSLR with bag and lenses. Photos are sharp and vivid.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2015 3:17 AM PDT

Honeywell Model 5113 Steel Security Safe 0.49 Cubic Feet
Honeywell Model 5113 Steel Security Safe 0.49 Cubic Feet
Price: $73.89
9 used & new from $51.72

5.0 out of 5 stars The safe arrived quickly and was easily wall mounted for use, January 29, 2015
The safe arrived quickly and was easily wall mounted for use. "Setup" is very simple....it works the same as any hotel room safe. I've read comments by some that this safe is not "Break-In Proof" and can be entered quite easily by use of a crowbar or some other tools. That's very likely true, but in my opinion I would not expect a small, economy safe to be the equivalent of Fort Knox. It's like locking your home, car or anything else; it keeps honest people honest; determined thieves can always find a way in. I feel this is a great purchase for a normal level of security safe.

Hat Jack Hat Stretcher & Maintainer Heavy Duty
Hat Jack Hat Stretcher & Maintainer Heavy Duty
Price: $15.94 - $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a "pinching" felt hat, this will certainly take care of it...., January 15, 2015
I have to say this little tool does a great job. Recently I purchased a Cavalry Stetson which was just a little too tight for comfort...Guess they call it "pinching." This stretcher arrived today, and in an hours' time with a bit of steam from the teapot the hat fit me perfectly. I marvel at its simplicity. As felt hats do have a tendency to shrink if damp, this also is an ideal way to store your hat to prevent shrinkage.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Shakey's Hill
Shakey's Hill
DVD ~ Norman Lloyd
5 used & new from $19.60

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this documentary to all audiences, December 7, 2014
This review is from: Shakey's Hill (DVD)
I served with B Company, 5t Battalion / 7th Cavalry of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) as an Infantryman / RTO (Radio Telephone Operator) until December 1969. Shakey's Hill is the story of their search and destroy mission into Cambodia. So I guess you could say I'm biased toward this film whether I know it or not.

The film is very well composed and choreographed, and the reality of ground warfare shines through because what you see here is real. The interviews with some infantrymen both in 1970 and in 2004 are so emotional; vivid memories come back into sharp focus.

I recommend this documentary to all audiences.

Muskoka MES32BL-2 Blackstone Series Electric Stove with Dual Operable Doors, Large, Matte Black

4.0 out of 5 stars The stove functions perfectly, and meets our expectations. ..., October 14, 2014
The stove functions perfectly, and meets our expectations. One very small cosmetic issue is the light below the grate which illuminates the "fire" ..... the bulbs are clearly visible through a band of clear glass. I Immediately sent an email to the manufacturer explaining the issue and asked if there were a shroud or some item that was intended to cover the bulbs. I was sent a response that I would hear from a rep soon, but have not as yet heard from anyone. I corrected the issue myself.

An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 (The Liberation Trilogy, Vol. 1)
by Rick Atkinson
Price: $26.80
197 used & new from $0.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Experience World War II, Warts and All……., July 27, 2014
As a combat Infantry soldier of the Vietnam War, I feel I have a decent, although not profound understanding of the history of that conflict from inception to finish. But as part of the baby boomer generation I find it almost embarrassing my knowledge of World War II is seriously lacking; this was my father’s war, and I need to know more. Thankfully a friend recommended this book, and I trotted off to the library to get it.

“An Army at Dawn” covers the war in North Africa from 1942 to 1943. I was aware of the names Patton and Rommel as well as many other quickly recognizable ones, but woefully ignorant of their roles and personalities. Of course everyone of my generation knew of Eisenhower, but again this book will show both his strengths and weaknesses; leadership at this level exacts a tremendous toll on a person. Through extensive research Atkinson presents the complexity of events with enviable skill; he’s a masterful and highly entertaining story teller. I never understood how many major, costly mistakes were made, how much competition existed among the Allied French, British and American commands, and how may slaughters we experienced in that theater due to so many reasons, from lack of supply to bad intelligence to inept leadership. Souls are bared here. The vast number of military personnel and combat vehicles from tanks to tank destroyers, half-tracks, trucks and such is staggering even to a person with a solid mathematics background; World War II was an enormous event, almost beyond imagination.

The book is the first of The Liberation Trilogy, followed by “The Day of Battle” chronicling the war in Sicily and Italy in 1943 and 1944 and finally “The Guns at Last Light” covering the Western European theater from 1944 to 1945. These will certainly be my next reads. I was so impressed with this first volume from the local library I ordered the three volume set in hard cover edition. That alone tells the quality of Atkinson’s work.

I highly recommend this book to all readers…. It is truly a work of excellence.

David B. Simmons
Author - Our Turn to Serve - An Army Veteran's Memoir of the Vietnam War (Xlibris 8.15.2011)

The Education of Lieutenant Kerrey
The Education of Lieutenant Kerrey
by Gregory L. Vistica
38 used & new from $0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul Searching., July 5, 2014
I have a problem with two issues in the book. First, how a Bronze Star gets upgraded politically to Silver Star, then Navy Cross and finally to our nation's highest award for gallantry the Congressional Medal of Honor is, at least in my opinion, simply dead wrong. I served with the 1st Cavalry Infantry in Vietnam and observed more than one act of true valor, and the highest award was a posthumous Silver Star earned by my Platoon Leader, two levels below the MOH. A personal friend of mine was awarded the Navy Cross for valorous acts far beyond what is documented here. But, as we all know, politics enters into just about everything.

Secondly, for a man to promote the award to his political advantage, especially considering the larger issue concerning the killing of unarmed civilian women and children in the failed prior commando raid on the hamlet of Thanh Phong simply leaves me cold. I have to admit I feel badly for Kerrey and the guilt he has carried for so many years resulting from that mission, and I'm certain in my own mind he never intentionally set out to commit such a heinous act. Circumstances beyond his control put him in a very precarious position, and innocent, unarmed civilians died as a direct result. His judgment according to all accounts herein was not that of a trained Navy Commando officer but rather a person who had lost all control. Furthermore, even with his own misgivings of the event he knowingly promoted and benefited from an award he and his fellow SEALS knew he did not deserve.

Atrocities did happen in Vietnam just as they have in every war. I never personally witnessed anything even remotely approaching the atrocity described here in the year I spent as an infantryman. Trust me, we saw more than our share of heavy contact with the enemy and were in Free Fire zones most of the time, and that is not a carte blanche license to kill unarmed civilians. Geneva Convention rules are taught to all military personnel in basic training, and I'm certain Lt. Kerrey was not bypassed on this.

The author has done an excellent job of sorting out as much of the facts as possible in this unfortunate event, and leaves readers to make their own final judgments. Whether Kerrey is guilty of a war crime has not been technically proven, and never shall be unless the military investigates this through a court martial proceeding, and that is unlikely to ever happen.

David B. Simmons