ARRAY(0xa8e0d15c)

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David B. Simmons RSS Feed (Lee, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Summer Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate, Bronze
Summer Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate, Bronze
Price: $56.24
22 used & new from $56.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gate for Us...., March 14, 2014
The gate shipped quickly and was installed very easily in just a few minutes. As our door width was less than 31-1/2 inches, we did not need to use any of the three additional panels, simplifying the assembly. However, even if they were required, assembly would be very quick.... probably 15 to 20 minutes max.

When you open the package you need to read the note on the cardboard explaining why the gate is visually out of square. This is intentional as you see when you read the assembly instructions. Because there is no "top rail" supporting the gate as there is on the bottom, extra tension is required at the top to make the gate strong enough and to make it square.

The gate is very well made and attractive as well. The opening is a bit narrow as many folks have noted, but I believe this is a constriction "engineered" in to support the gate in the proper manner, consistent with the information in the preceeding paragraph. There were a few comments of snagging clothing on the latch mechanism. My feeling on that is if we're aware of the issue, slow down just a bit. It's like remembering to buckle up in your car.

I need to add that this is used for "animal control" in our home; a young Australian Shepherd and a younger Flat Coated Retriever, both with boundless energy.

Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $276.95
19 used & new from $239.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Prime Lens at an Affordable Price, March 5, 2014
As a true amateur (using Nikon D3100 for Dummies) I will not attempt to go into any technical discussion. I just received this this lens yesterday and took it for a short "test run" to see the results..... and I am impressed. The color and clarity of the photos is outstanding, and the need for post processing greatly diminished from my other lenses. Compared to my 50mm f/1.8 I prefer it as there's less "footwork" involved in a portrait shot.

I did notice that the autofocus seems to take a bit more time than my 50mm prime, but I don't consider that an issue. What truly impresses me is to be able to focus from virtually zero to infinity. And having that very short Macro ability is wonderful.

In summary I'd say I just spent my money wisely for this lens, and I would certainly recommend this to others.

Signature K9 Standard Leather Leash, 6-Feet x 3/4-Inch, Burgundy
Signature K9 Standard Leather Leash, 6-Feet x 3/4-Inch, Burgundy
Price: $17.95
2 used & new from $15.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Leash, January 7, 2014
The leash is of high quality and obviously made to last a long, long time. It's strong and gives you control over the most feisty pet. The snap is large enough to leash or unleash a dog quickly. And finally, it's very attractive.

Dell S2440L 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Dell S2440L 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Price: $221.98
20 used & new from $169.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed., January 6, 2014
I purchased this monitor from our local Best Buy for this same price. The monitor fits my need perfectly, as I am an amateur photographer and spend considerable time editing photos. The setup for this monitor was very simple and took less than ten minutes to install. The resolution and colors are great, and in my opinion the value for the price is outstanding. I would certainly recommend this monitor to others.

BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum, 81L2T
BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum, 81L2T
Price: $49.99
16 used & new from $42.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the Dr. ordered....., January 3, 2014
We have two dogs, both of which shed considerable hair. For several years we've used a Dyson Animal Vac for the carpeting in our home, but my wife had used Swiffers (very good product) for the hard surfaced floors in the kitchen, dining room, baths and the total upstairs which is now all hardwood. I was talking with her a couple weeks back and learned that at the rate she was going through Swiffer pads (often twice or more daily) it was a significant ongoing cost. I searched the web and found this Bissell Pet Hard Floor Vacuum on Amazon. Due to the ratings and very attractive price we decided to give it a try. Yesterday it arrived, and with ten minutes of use my wife was impressed. She had to check it out further though and ran the Swiffer over the same flooring after her first use with the new Bissell. It ended up virtually spotless. So now, more than impressed, she is in love with it.

Spoken from the Heart
Spoken from the Heart
by Laura Bush
Price: $19.20
626 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to know the real Bush family., September 11, 2013
This review is from: Spoken from the Heart (Hardcover)
My wife received this book as a gift from our son and his family for Mother's Day, and truly enjoyed it. She then passed it to me, and as much as I've always liked Laura Bush I had a feeling it probably wasn't going to be "my kind of story." But I was wrong - very, wrong.

The first thing I noticed was the candor and sincerity in her writing. She was brought up in Midland, Texas in a very middle class home, so similar to what I consider an average person like myself. Childhood friendships have endured to this day, as well as her love of the outdoors - hiking and experiencing the natural beauty of our country. Her love of books is truly a passion, and she used her wealth of information in teaching her second grade class, and later after obtaining a Master's degree in Library Science working as a librarian.

But life changes when you reach the Governor's Mansion in Texas, and it changes far more when living in the White House. Every minute of the President's day is scheduled, and the pace is furious. But the life of First Lady is hectic as well, far more than I had ever realized. There are the normal social events, but also the whirlwind of invitations from many, many groups to speak for or chair a special cause, and Laura Bush answered that call repeatedly. She was a very active and effective leader in providing relief to disaster victims of Hurricane Katrina, making thirteen trips to Louisiana. Throughout her travels to many countries she established foundations for literacy, health and most notably women's rights where they had never existed before. She was not simply a name on a foundation's plaque but an active, tireless worker for those causes. Her travels to foreign countries meeting with world leaders and their families made her an unofficial and popular ambassador. And she and George never forget our military troops, visiting them and their families repeatedly in times of hardship and loss, providing a true inspiration. Perhaps the single most notable and trying event happened early in the first term in the Twin Towers attack on 9/11, forever changing the country's views and attitudes on terrorism.

But in spite of the callings of the office, she and her husband raised their twin daughters Barbara and Jenna in the most normal manner possible. I have a great deal of respect for their family, and this writing reinforces and enhances that respect.

I recommend this book to all readers young and old, irrespective of political or religious views or social standing. For those who may read this book, I'll pass on a clue to a little item that surprised me, but simply say as their accountant said to them "Being President is expensive."

David B. Simmons
Author - Our Turn to Serve - An Army Veteran's Memoir of the Vietnam War

Men's Gamehide Upland Vest, MARSH BRN/ORANGE, M
Men's Gamehide Upland Vest, MARSH BRN/ORANGE, M
Offered by Gamehide Hunting Wear
Price: $34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product at a fair price., August 26, 2013
This review is from: Men's Gamehide Upland Vest
I haven't partridge hunted in 30 years, but decided now I'm retired I'll hunt again this fall. I needed a vest, and this caught my eye. The product was delivered ahead of schedule, and I feel the quality of the vest is excellent.

Eagles Cry Blood
Eagles Cry Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inside View of the Vietnam War, August 20, 2013
This review is from: Eagles Cry Blood (Kindle Edition)
Most people don't know a great deal about the Special Forces, better known as the Green Berets, and their role in the Vietnam War; I count myself among them. Even serving there myself as an infantryman, we rarely came into contact with them, and when we did it was at one of their forward base camps. These guys were trained to be the best of the best, and you will learn in this book why; a special breed of patriots willing to put their lives on the line, and performing activities in a clandestine and dangerous environment.

Eagles Cry Blood gives you an "inside" view of their activities, told by a man who served eighteen months working with the Berets, including reconnaissance missions - the most dangerous of all. He also shares the fear experienced by all of them but never communicated amongst themselves. I have read one negative review of this work by an individual who refers to Mr. Zlotnik as "A Wanna Be Hero." He obviously doesn't understand what a novel is; a fictional account based on some true accounts. Enough on that topic.

Not only do we get a better understanding of their missions, but learn of the politics of war and the abuse by a few who would do anything to get that next promotion as a step to wearing a general's star, totally disregarding the safety of others. These politics exist in every segment of society, and the Special Forces is no exception.

I highly recommend this book to Vietnam War veterans, their families and anyone having an interest in what went on behind the scenes there. You'll be able to separate the truth from the fiction easily, and you will enjoy this high paced work. Great job Mr. Zlotnik.

Dave Simmons
"Our Turn to Serve - An Army Veteran's Memoir of the Vietnam War"

The AmerAsians
The AmerAsians
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much truth in fiction....., August 13, 2013
This review is from: The AmerAsians (Kindle Edition)
Since my return as a combat veteran of the Vietnam War, I have always had thoughts of the POW's left behind, and the plight of the thousands of children born to Vietnamese mothers and American fathers known as Amerasians. While the book is technically a work of fiction, there is undoubtedly a lot of truth to the background of the story.

The fictional part is essentially a "What if" story; a terrorist plot against the United States masterminded by a ranking Vietnamese military officer. The plot is carried out by disgruntled young Amerasians who greatly resent their American fathers for abandoning them to a life of misery, and are easily brainwashed by their leader. The Vietnamese did not allow these "mixed breed" children to integrate into society, but rather shunned them, leaving them to fend for themselves. The American response to the terrorist act comprises a large part of the story, and will hold your attention to the last page.

The author knows a great deal about not only the Vietnam War where he served as a U.S. Army Major with the elite Special Forces, but also the factions of society there; the Communist North Vietnamese, the defeated and oppressed South Vietnamese and also the tribal Montagnards. He reveals the lives of the POW's; not only their miserable treatment and living conditions, but also the issues that divided them internally as a group. The story is told in a very convincing way, and when you reach the end you'll certainly envision the possibility of the events described.

I highly recommend this well written book to all readers.

Son of War
Son of War
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book Cover Tells it All., August 5, 2013
This review is from: Son of War (Kindle Edition)
The front cover artwork of "Son of War" has five words in bold print - "Honor / Courage / Integrity / Moral / Loyalty." These words are the essence of the book, but more so the honor code the author takes extremely seriously. The code has its' roots in his boyhood, promising himself he would always do the right thing, regardless of consequence. More often than not he paid the price for sticking to his commitment, refusing to live with "skeletons in the closet." It's one thing to recognize a serious issue, and quite another to try and stop it. I look at this vow of personal dedication almost as a religious vow - one that's simple to recite, but not simple to live by; I envision Christians remaining faithful in the presence of lions at the Roman coliseums.

The author retired from the U.S. Army after first serving six years in the enlisted ranks. He then enrolled in and graduated from Officer Candidate School achieving the field grade rank of Major. But his biggest pride was earning membership into the elite Special Forces, serving multiple tours in Vietnam. Post military retirement he worked in the defense contract business, taught at various colleges, and later worked in the social services, specializing in foster care.

In every profession he witnessed both people of honor and those who would stop at nothing to advance themselves, disregarding the negative impact on colleagues or those dependent on them. In the war time military this disregard at times resulted in the deaths of American soldiers and in foster care a dead end for the children.

The author is a very proud man, and in his older years is very comfortable with himself, knowing he has abided by his honor code. He quotes.... "This is a memoir like no other you've read," ... and he is correct. I highly recommend this work to serious readers, especially those with a conscience. It's an inspiration to honest people, and an eye-opener to boot.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4