Profile for Martha A. Cheves > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 418

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Martha A. Cheves RSS Feed (Charlotte, NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Christmas in the Smokies
Christmas in the Smokies
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears cascaded down her cheeks like a waterfall, December 22, 2014
Christmas music softly played as Sierra Faith Lawson peered out the window of the Smokey Mountain, Tennessee cabin. Tears cascaded down her cheeks like a waterfall. The sad Christmas songs pierced her heart and broke it anew with each thought of her lost love and the trail of tears that'd caused her to flee to the mountains seeking the very serenity that now make her heart ache because she knew she'd spend this holiday season single with no love in sight.

After her fiance postponed their June wedding, Sierra returned his ring and left New Orleans where she had been raised after the death of her parents. All of her dreams had been crushed with no happiness in view.

After moving into her family cabin deep in the Smokie Mountains, Sierra had taken a job as a waitress. Her quiet, lonely life was interrupted with the meeting of a park ranger named Landon Jordan. Could God be giving her a second chance at happiness? It appears so until her old fiance Gillman finds his way back into her life.

This is such a beautiful story of love lost and love found with a beautiful Christmas story woven in. It's a novella that comes with the warmth and beauty of love that this author is known for putting on paper.

A Millionaire's Christmas: An alternative Christmas story
A Millionaire's Christmas: An alternative Christmas story
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars and though his employees respected and revered him as a good man to work for, December 22, 2014
Never the most gregarious of men, the shipping magnate Aristedes Miklos found himself further removed from everyday life as his empire grew. He had few friends and no other family to divert his attention from work, and Aristedes became something of a recluse. By the time his illness struck him, Bob Garrett had been the only real friend he'd made in the previous twenty years. He had worked tirelessly at building his fleet and his bank balance, and though his employees respected and revered him as a good man to work for, he would never have considered any of them as anything more than what they were.

Aristedes has found himself in a hospital room all alone. He has a brain tumor that is aggressive and inoperable. He is dying. As his memory begins to fade he becomes aware of his past life. With his life holding no future, what will happen to his fortune that he spent his life to develop? He simply has no one!

Then he meets Dr. Elijah. Elijah knows Aristedes is dying and introduces him to a young boy named Christos Karamanlis who is also dying of cancer. But, with just a little help from Aristedes, Christos' family could pay for the treatments needed to keep him alive. Elijah also has the idea that more money could be given to help other children who need medical help. Well, Aristedes didn't create his fortune by falling for cons and decided to do a little checking on Dr. Elijah before handing over any money. But first he needed some sleep.

So, is it a con by Elijah or is he and the boy for real. That my friend you'll have to find out by reading this Christmas story that has a real twist. You won't regret it.

All Because of the Tip of a Needle
All Because of the Tip of a Needle
Price: $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars He was disliked by some, December 13, 2014
An excerpt from the book- This last six years was a mentally draining one for me. I had everything I lived for - horse racing, my family, and my wife and kids - taken away from me. All I could do was wait and wait and wait. The lawyer told me not to talk to anyone, including my family, about what had happened. He said it would hamper our case.

Sam Newman, twenty-one years of age, became known as 'Sam-the-man' at the track because he won with regularity. He was disliked by some, and apparently, hated by more. His young life was going just as he dreamed it would. Using the advice his grandfather had taught him he found the best ways to work with horses and also to make them work for you. He had learned well and it was paying off in more ways than one. Thanks to his success he was able to marry the girl of his dreams, have kids, and most importantly to him, he was winning at the tracks of his hometown, Chicago, Illinois. His special 'way' with horses allowed him to spot a rundown horse and turn him back into a winner. How did he do this? He just had a way with the equine, but if you talked to the other owners and drivers of Chicago they would tell you it was because of a needle and a drug known as Etorphine, an elephant tranquilizer also known as M-99. This drug was rumored to make the horses run, fast and straight, to the finish line.

Sam's longtime vet, known as Doc Brown, turned against him when Sam replaced him with another vet. After losing his temper, he made a promise to Sam's brother, Dave. His threat was "Payback is a bitch..." and apparently this threat was carried out. It wasn't long after the threat was made that officers from the Illinois Bureau of Investigations searched Sam’s barn area and discovered a hypodermic needle in his car. After supposedly testing it, it was confirmed that the needle had contained the M-99 drug.

This book is written as fiction but it based on the 'scandal' back from the 1980's between Scott Nance, the Illinois racing board, and the owners of the harness tracks in the Chicago area. From what I've read, it leads me to believe this young man was 'thrown under the train' due to revenge and greed of others. I'm a horse lover and from this man's story I feel he had a special gift in dealing with them. I find it hard to believe that with the constant testing of the horses, anyone can train and/or drive in over 2,000 races in eight states and two countries, have 300 winners with many seconds and thirds, and still be accused of drugging his horses.

A recommended read for harness fans, conspiracy fans, and just the everyday reader.

Dark Mind (Emily Stone Series Book 3)
Dark Mind (Emily Stone Series Book 3)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I could easily see these books being made into a TV series, October 28, 2014
She felt a sting at the back of her left arm and pressure against her back. Her first thought was a bee had stung her, but her vision melted into long vertical strips of disjointed puzzle pieces. Blinking hard, she tried to regain her perspective. Dizzying vertigo took hold of her balance, she fought the urge to vomit, swallowing hard as her body thrust into a tailspin. Staggering to stay in a vertical poise, she fought in her mind. Strong hands tucked under her arms and clasped across her chest, without anywhere else to go she fell into the arms of an unknown stranger.

Her name is Carolyn Sax and she is soon to become the first in a string of problems to intrude the quiet island of Kauai. Sergeant Lani Candena would be working the murders that are soon to take place, but due to an earlier event, he had the 'pleasure' of meeting Emily Stone and Rick Lopez as they rescued a kidnapped child.

Yes, Emily and Rick are back at it in full force, along with Jordan who comes after Emily's request to help them solve the murders being committed on the island. Each victim is brutally murdered and due to the evidence left, they appear to be used as sacrifices to some island legend.

This is my 3rd book to read in this series. The first Compulsion introduced me to Emily Stone. Dead Game became a permanent connection between Emily and Rick as well as an introducing the readers to Jordan. No, I can't get enough of either of the characters and the stories that involve them. These books have kept me on the edge through every turn of the page. I can't wait to read the next book in the series Dead Burn.

So if you're looking for a book that's hard to put down, pick up Dark Mind, but even though the books in this series can be read out of order, I suggest you start with the first. I could easily see these books being made into a TV series.

Jilted by Death
Jilted by Death
by Lynette Hall Hampton
87 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "And I can be your worst nightmare, " a deep muffled voice said, October 7, 2014
This review is from: Jilted by Death (Paperback)
"This is Willa," I said into the receiver. "And I can be your worst nightmare," a deep muffled voice said. "Stay away from Reba Wilkinson. No more lunches with her, if you know what's good for you, Preacher Lady." The receiver slammed in my ear and I slowly hung up. I was stunned, confused, and a little afraid. I looked around my office and shivered. Whoever this person was, he knew that I had spent my lunchtime with Reba, and he didn't like it. But why would anyone care? The visit had been fruitless.

Willa Hinshaw has only been the associated minister at the First United Methodist Church for about three weeks when everything seems to start turning upside down. First came the canceling of a wedding for the daughter of one of the town's leaders to an up-and-coming attorney. The daughter seemed to have run off with her childhood sweetheart causing much grief for her family, not to mention the loss of money it had cost her father to put this event together. Then came the call to Willa from the daughter telling her she had made a mistake and was afraid for her safety. She begged Willa to come and get her at a motel several miles away from Liverpool. And when she read the note left with the motel clerk saying it was all a mistake and that she was ok, Willa wasn't convinced. Thus starts her search for the real truth, as well as the threats made to her if she continued to keep digging into matters that don't concern her.

Then comes the ransom note. Someone is determined to destroy the Poole family through their daughter Lee Ann and the Swanson family through their son Justin. But why was a question no one seemed to have the answer to.

Lynette Hall Hampton has become one of my favorite authors. Her stories are simply beautiful as well as mysterious. Her style of writing is one that keeps me in the dark through many pages. In Jilted by Death, I thought I knew the killer about 3/4 of the way through but the more I thought about it the more I felt I was wrong. So, when the killer was finally revealed I was surprised but also not surprised. I can't wait to read more works of art from this author.

Lest We Forget: An Anthology Of Remembrance
Lest We Forget: An Anthology Of Remembrance
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars just like those do when waiting for the call to climb ..., September 27, 2014
Remembrance

Remember the fallen, the honoured dead,
In silent prayer, with lowered head.
They gave of their all, they gave up their lives,
And remember as well all the war-widowed wives.

Fathers of children, all some mothers sons,
Taken form life by the bombs, and the guns.
No joyous salute, nor heroes return,
Just an empty chair somewhere, a story to learn.

Of young men who proudly went off to the wars,
Leaving families, friends, leaving England's shores.
Many dying with glory, though seeking no fame,
Now lying at rest, in a grave with no name.

This is just the beginning of one of the Anthology of Remembrance included within this book. All hit my heart but this one seemed to hit the most. With the world in the past, present and future, we will always have wars and there will always be lost lives, but how do we put the feelings created by these losses into words? Most of us can't, but Author Brian L. Porter can and has. Through his Bomber we find ourselves waiting, just like those do when waiting for the call to climb aboard the planes that will take them into battle with just prayers that they will return. No Headstone on a Sailor's Grave has us waiting for a rescue boat that never comes.

As I read each segment within this book it made me stop and really think about my own father who served in not one but three branches of the military and what he must have gone through and the fear that he must have felt. I think about my friends who fought in the Viet Nam war and how scared they had to have been. I think about those that are serving today with their fears. And then I think of my grandson who will serve in the near future, taking him miles away from home for the first time.

This book has made me not only stop and think but it has surfaced my appreciation of these men and women both young and old. For without them, we would have no real world and certainly no freedom. That is what this book has done for me.

Ghost Hunting Diary Volume IV (Ghost Hunting Diaries Book 4)
Ghost Hunting Diary Volume IV (Ghost Hunting Diaries Book 4)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This told me he was an intelligent haunting, one in which the entity can interact ..., September 19, 2014
St. James Jeepers Creepers - There are times during ghost hunts when I even scare myself silly...er...sillier. In May, 1998, an occurrence at the captivating historical St. James Hotel, in Cimarron, New Mexico - a place with an extremely haunted reputation - turned into one of those incidents. Twenty-six deaths occurred in the St. James so when I saw a man that stood about 6 feet, with black hair and dressed in an 1800's style suit jacket the evening we checked into the hotel, I wasn't surprised. I got the impression he was a gambler and I gaped when he winked at me. This told me he was an intelligent haunting, one in which the entity can interact with our living dimension. In other words, the recognition worked both ways. Turns out he was one of the nice ones. TJ is a different story.

Barney the Believer - Barney is my husband who doesn't believe in ghosts. One day he came to my office, white as a ghost himself. He wanted to know if we had a little girl ghost in our house. We do so I ask how he knew. His comment to me was "Because I've been watching TV and she just got up from the chair on the other side of the fireplace." That was just the beginning of him becoming a believer.

These are just 2 of the stories in the author's diary and this is the 4th diary this author has published that I've had the pleasure of reading. I've heard about ghosts and spirits my whole life. I 'dreamed' one morning that my grandmother was standing at the foot of my bed telling me everything would be alright. Apparently I was asleep with my eyes open because I could see her and the room I was in full color. I once bought a house where I would get a glimmer of someone out of the corner of my eye and freeze when I sat in a certain area in my living room. Turns out the previous owner, a woman who loved to cook, had passed in that special spot in the living room. If we admit it, we've all probably had some kind of unexplained 'happenings' at some point in our lives and through reading T. M. Simmons' books, I truly believe that I've experienced a few ghosts of my own.

Oh yeah. If you have a ghost/spirit in your home, this book will tell you what would be the best way to handle your type of ghost/spirit. Yes there is more than one type and each is handled differently. At this time, I have no ghosts/spirits in my home. I have a friend who died in his home and the woman living there now has told me he comes back now and then to check on the items he left in the attic. She has never removed anything from there so he seems ok, but she does hear him now and then rummaging around and many times he will forget to turn out the light.

This, like the others before it are extremely interesting. I'm enjoying learning about the experiences the author and her Aunt Belle have gone through and can't wait to learn even more when I read Ghost Hunting Diary Volume V.

Louisiana Sunset (Love Grows in Mysterious ways on the Bayou Series, Book I)
Louisiana Sunset (Love Grows in Mysterious ways on the Bayou Series, Book I)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars And of course the circle wouldn't be complete without agreeing to meet her long lost love Timber. How could she even think of me, September 12, 2014
Lilly Mae's life is making a complete circle. She left Louisiana to get away from her abusive boyfriend, but after losing her job in the city she has decided to return and live in the river cabin her grandfather left her. And of course the circle wouldn't be complete without agreeing to meet her long lost love Timber.

How could she even think of meeting him at the river again? That time was gone and for the best. She'd moved on, had her life together until she'd lost the job that meant the most to her, and she didn't need to let Timber rip her world apart again. She signed. What was she thinking? Every ounce of her very being screamed. Leave before he shows. Forget him. He's bad news. Yet, she stood rooted to the spot. Would he appear? She had to know. Had to see him one last time and put it and him behind her for good. She was strong. She could do this.

Even so, Lilly Mae had agreed to meet him and the old feelings resurfaced... for both of them. Timber vowed that he had changed. He would never hurt her again. His temper was under control. Lilly Mae refused to believe him. But he refuses to give up. He pops up everywhere, even at her home. Then she meets Levi... the perfect man. Levi was the total opposite of Timber. He believed in God and went to church. Timber actually only wanted to go if the preacher was funny. He respected her. Timber didn't even respect himself. Levi thought of the other person first. Timber only thought of himself - first and last. But Timber still won't give up.

Levi does keep Timber in line for a while, that is until war broke out and with him being a pilot he is one of the first to head for what would be called Desert Storm. Timber continues to keep up with his stalking.

So, will Timber separate Lilly Mae and Levi while he's thousands of miles away? Will Lilly Mae be able to stay true to Levi, the man she loves and plans to marry or will she give in to her old love Timber?

This is one of the most beautiful stories I've read in a long time. I found myself laughing at times, feeling sorry at times and even wanting to cry at times. This book is a true love story that has a few twists. And now that I've finished it, I'm looking forward to see what happens in the story that follows Louisiana Sundown - book 2 in the series.

Dead Game (Emily Stone Series Book 2)
Dead Game (Emily Stone Series Book 2)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Each victim is found with a device that slowly tightens around their neck ending in a painful death by strangulation, September 8, 2014
Five flat screen computers sat on a table in a semicircle configuration, each with a video playing. Upon closer inspection, all computers had the same video performing only at different moments in the action sequence. They kept playing through on an endless loop. The sound was muted, but the violence was clearly evident. It was a man being methodically strangled to death earlier in the evening. Every detail of his extreme anguish, facial muscle twitches, and lack of oxygen was forever imprinted on the video to relive over and over again. The intense satisfaction of watching the five videos made every nerve tingle with delicious gratification for the man that watched. He was captivated by his clever use of direction as he savored every moment of the performance. He was the most ingenious movie director of all time. No one could compare to him.... It was death. It was death by his direction. He was the future.

There is a serial killer stalking the Santa Clare area with no indication of it stopping anytime soon. The police haven't a clue. Each victim is found with a device that slowly tightens around their neck ending in a painful death by strangulation. Santa Clair Detective Duncan is heading up the investigation with very little to go on. That is until the death of a retired policeman is classified as an accident. After a bit of investigating on his part he finds a connection between the victims. They all subscribe to a computer spy game called EagleEye which the dead officer has connections to.

Emily and Rick are still on the hunt for those who prey on children. After their last rescue Rick talked Emily into taking a break to give her body and mind to mend. Then the nephew of a friend came to him announcing the death of his uncle who was also Rick's friend. Rick and Emily both agreed to jump right into the case and find the killer. They didn't know the dangers they were stepping into. They would soon find themselves right in the middle of the Dead Game Serial Killer.

I allowed myself a week to read this book. Didn't take half that time. I simply couldn't put it down. The tension of the chase, the pain felt by the victims, the fear of loss that went between Emily and Rick kept me on the edge throughout the whole book. This book could easily go to Criminal Minds for a show or become a movie of its own.

The Deepest Dark
The Deepest Dark
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite place had no telephones and no TV, August 30, 2014
This review is from: The Deepest Dark (Kindle Edition)
She had started for the kitchen when she stopped in the doorway between the living room and kitchen, thinking she'd heard a noise outside. She listened. Heard it again. A squeaking of the porch swing chain?...Hearing nothing further, but still wearing the same uneasy frown on her face, she continued on to the kitchen. She was reaching into the drawer for a knife to cut the pie with when she heard the noise again. She looked in the direction of the sound and that's when she saw the grinning face in the window. Her heart lurched painfully but before she could cry out, something crashed against the back door. It burst open and three men strode into her kitchen, big as life. Three men she had never seen before.

Ethel and Hartley have raised their daughter and still lived in their country home where neighbors were not a walk away but a drive away. In their 80's they had grown use to their solitude so when their uninvited visitors bust through their door they are at a total loss.

Abby used the facilities, washed her hands and splashed warm water on her face, patting it dry with rough brown paper. When she came back out of the washroom, the woman was behind the counter. "Help yourself to the coffee, dear," she said. "Freshly made."... "Thanks. I needed that." "You're welcome. Don't know about you, but this rain is getting me down. Awful about those three escapees, isn't it?"

Abby is on her way to the lake cabin her husband had bought for their secret get-away. After the disasters she had faced just a few months earlier she wasn't sure of her real reason for going there. She needed time away from everyone but with the bottle of pills in her purse, along with her depression, she just might make this her final resting place.

This book is one for the movies. As the author brings the Ethel and Hartley, Abby, and the three men together it becomes a book that I had hard time putting down. I actually read it in just three nights. I hurt for Abby and her previous problems. I felt for Ethel and Hartley as they are subdued by the three men. I feared the three men as they prompted fear on everyone that came into contact with them. But I learn something from reading this book. There have been times that I go to the mountains alone just for the quiet. As with Abby's lake cabin, my favorite place had no telephones and no TV... just peace and quiet. Never again will I visit my favorite cabin without a phone!

So, if you want a real page turning, grip the edge of the chair and leave the lights burning read, you will surely have it with The Deepest Dark.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20