Profile for Martha A. Cheves > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 431

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Martha A. Cheves RSS Feed (Charlotte, NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Vanishing Mind of Ruth Swerdloff IN HER OWN WORDS: An Alzheimer's Sufferer's Journal
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars some guests overstay their welcome and others are just plain annoying. Uninvited guests can be escorted out and asked ..., June 22, 2015
How do you say goodbye when you are still here? How do you say goodbye before your thoughts, desires, and wishes disappear from your mind? What happens when all that's left of you is a human shell? Everyone invites guests to their homes for dinner, or just to talk. But, some guests overstay their welcome and others are just plain annoying. Uninvited guests can be escorted out and asked to leave, hopefully never to return. One uninvited guest mad its way into my mother's mind and refused to leave.

I've known people who have family members that have literally lost their minds. Or better yet, lost everything stored within their minds. They forget where they are, where they are going, who they are and who the strangers that keep showing up might be. They forget to eat or can't remember if they did eat. They forget the names of their favorite food and even their own children. As the days go by they lose more and more of what took years to fill their minds. Eventually that full mind is empty and hollow. What causes this? You've probably already answered that question with that terrible disease called Alzheimer.

I've personally never been exposed to Alzheimer but after reading The Vanishing Mind I feel that has changed. The way the Author combined the experience as a caregivers/family member and the journals written by her mother when her mind was still there enough to write, you can't help but feel as if you're a part of the family or at least a close friend. The insight I found through this book has me watching my own loved ones more closely with the possible chance that they may show some of these signs. I'm also watching myself too.

Author Fran Lewis goes one step further in helping those who are faced with this dreadful disease. She has included tips for the caregivers stressing on how to speak in a way that may be a little easier for them to understand; how to help them with simple things like eating, dressing and bathing; how to find activities that they may understand and enjoy; and she even gives you a list of agencies that can be beneficial in helping you with their care, understanding their problems and most important - how to deal with your own feelings.

This is a book that I recommend to everyone - young and old. It might just be the book that will help you better cope with those you love who just might experience this heart breaking disease called Alzheimer.

Two Old Goats Essential Lotion 8oz. For Your Toughest Aches And Pains!
Two Old Goats Essential Lotion 8oz. For Your Toughest Aches And Pains!
Offered by SpaSourceOnline
Price: $16.26
20 used & new from $11.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 5, 2015
It really works and quickly!

Beileshi® Glasses New Loupe 10X 15X 20X 25X LED Double Eye Jeweler Watch Repair Magnifying (10X 15X 20X 25X Double Eye)Buy One Get One Card for Free for Free(Black)
Offered by Professional Optical Instruments
Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $11.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 5, 2015
Works perfect for my need, which is to read the markings on jewelry.

Girl with Pencil, Drawing
Girl with Pencil, Drawing
by Linda Maria Frank
Price: $13.95
24 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars When I was a young girl I loved reading the Nancy Drew mysteries and to this day ..., June 5, 2015
He busied himself rummaging through the kitchen drawers, two sets of panic-stricken eyes following his every move. He found some emergency candles and went into the small dinette adjoining the kitchen. He lit them, let the was drip onto some paper plates from the counter and affixed the candles to the plates. There were six candles in all. Was he into satanic rituals? He came back into the kitchen and turned on all the gas jets at the range and the oven, leaving its door ajar. He blow out the flames, letting the gas escape freely. "Bye, bye, ladies." He hurried out the back door locking it behind him.

When I was a young girl I loved reading the Nancy Drew mysteries and to this day I still enjoy the style and mysteries of the young 'detective' but you can only read them so many times before you know them by heart. Well... Author Linda Maria Frank has brought my young memories back. Annie Tillery is today's Nancy Drew! In fact, she is great at getting herself into trouble but working it out in a fashion that would make Nancy proud. In Girl With Pencil, Drawing Annie goes to art school and finds that her instructor/teacher is mixed up in a murder that Annie doesn't believe she committed. Can she prove her innocence without getting both of them killed? What do you think?

This the second book in the Annie Tillery Mystery Series. I've read the first, loved it and couldn't see how it could get any better. Well it does. I'm now looking forward to reading the third book to see what Nancy, oh excuse me, Annie gets into and how she gets through it.

Dead Burn (Emily Stone Series Book 4)
Dead Burn (Emily Stone Series Book 4)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It amazed him each time with a wondrous performance, April 30, 2015
The man pushed his hands deep into his coat pockets, nervously pressing the thumbs against the forefingers, each time with more force, staying in the moment, wanting to experience life dwindling from another person, but not just any person - a sinner. The screaming had stopped... The burning building captured the man's soul and deep seeded emotions with the hypnotizing and inviting spirits. It amazed him each time with a wondrous performance. A sin repaid. The arsonist patiently waited for a hidden message to exit from the fire to commend him on his sacrifices of righteousness, but it never did... The deeds piled up, and once he reached the appointed number, the words would push him to the next level...

Emily Stone has finished a energy straining rescue she knows there is no time for rest. Apparently there is a serial killer that is targeting those who have escaped justice and those who helped them. And his mode of revenge is death by fire.

With each death, the clues evade the police as well as Emily. With each fire there is only one specific victim in the carefully executed fires. Could this be a different kind of serial killer? As the bodies increase the case gets colder and colder leading Emily and her team in directions that fail to find a connection.

This is my 4th Emily Stone Series book and I have to say that as one ends I tell myself that the next one simply couldn't be better, but I'm wrong - it is. This series has me turning pages, biting my nails and sitting on the edge of my chair. Author Jennifer Chase just gets better with every book. I would love to see these books made into a series of movies!

Phantasms in the Infirmary: A collection of hospital related ghostly short stories & ghoulish encounters
by Ram Gulrajani
Price: $12.99
14 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt like I was walking into air that was really thick ..., April 7, 2015
Not so long ago I took a friend to the hospital for an endoscopy. In the past this was done at one of the smaller facilities but my friend had changed doctors and he only did the procedure at the hospital. As we boarded the elevator I noticed that the nurse pushed the button for us to go down, not up. OK, there are a lot of floors that I've never been on in this hospital and with all the new construction we are probably just going to another above ground floor in the back. As we stepped off the elevator and started walking down the hall I started feeling closed in. I felt like I was walking into air that was really thick with something but I had no idea what. I sat by my friend's bed as they prepared him for the procedure and since there was only a curtain between us and the next patient I could hear his conversation with one of the nurses. He was telling her that he was born in this hospital 80 years ago. She proceeded to tell him that we were in the oldest part of the hospital in the basement which at one time was actually the morgue. I still didn't make the connection between my feelings and the location until I started reading Phantasms in the Infirmary.

Even though Authors Ram and Julie Gulrajani created a single hospital for the events to take place, they are still stories from several hospitals that have been passed on by hospital workers over the years. Both Authors work in the medical field which brings them in contact with those who have experienced the events as well as those who have heard the stories. Many of the hospitals have long histories of being everything from asylums, orphanages, workhouses, convents and monasteries in their past. They also all have one thing in common - death. Some even carried the ghosts of these deaths into the halls of the modern hospitals.

Is this what I was feeling while in the basement/old morgue of the hospital I was in? After reading this book of ghosts from the past I'm pretty sure that was exactly what I felt. Read Phantasms in the Infirmary for yourself and see if you agree.

Mixed Messages
Mixed Messages
by Patricia Gligor
Price: $13.56
33 used & new from $9.56

5.0 out of 5 stars She heard a noise behind her that sounded like light footsteps making their way through the dried leaves ..., March 21, 2015
This review is from: Mixed Messages (Paperback)
She went directly to her grandmother's grave and stooped down to clear away the debris that covered the inscription on the tombstone. She heard a noise behind her that sounded like light footsteps making their way through the dried leaves and twigs... But there was no one there. It's probably your imagination, she said out loud but, when the sun went behind a cloud, she shivered. Then, she heard the noise again... All of a sudden, a black cat sprang from the woods... As she turned back toward her grandmother's grave, she noticed a mound of freshly dug earth a few feet away. Curious, she went over and looked down. Her eyes opened wide and her hands flew to her mouth to stifle a scream. There, printed in bold black paint on a large rock were the words, "FUTURE HOME OF ANN KERN."

Ann is a wife and mother of two beautiful children. Most of her married life has been spent being a stay at home mother but now her husband David has decided that she should get a job. He said he was tired of trying to support the family by himself. The stress was getting to him and he was staying out late and drinking heavily. His mother Louise takes her only living son's side and blames everything that he is going through, including the drinking, on Ann. She agrees that Ann needs to earn her part of the income and even puts in a good word with Father Andrew from their church who is looking for a part-time assistant.

Father Andrew finds Ann very suitable for the position but also finds out who she really is. He actually has a past with her family. A bad past and this just might be his chance to get the revenge from years past.

You can't help but feel the love yet anger, sorrow, and pain that goes through Ann as she tries to be a good wife and mother. But it seems that the harder she tries she can't help but watch everything slip away from her. This story is so well written and so real that I found myself comparing it to people I knew in my own life. I'm now looking forward to reading the next book in this series titled Unfinished Business.

The Madonna Ghost
The Madonna Ghost
by Linda Maria Frank
Price: $13.95
29 used & new from $6.36

5.0 out of 5 stars the good people from Bay Shore tried to comfort her, March 16, 2015
This review is from: The Madonna Ghost (Paperback)
"The story goes that the women lashed their small child to themselves with their shawls before they jumped overboard to swim ashore. This action proved to be fatal for some of the children. They couldn't struggle to the surface to breathe, and most of the mothers were not swimmers anyway. They were at the mercy of the waves."... "Some could be revived, and this drove one woman in particular to wander up and down the beach, trying to find someone who could revive her baby. When they saw that her child was dead, the good people from Bay Shore tried to comfort her.... She wandered the beach, her baby clutched to her, until she collapsed and died herself. Her grave is in the old cemetery in Bay Shore... Even today, the Madonna Ghost, as she is called, is sighted by people on occasion."

Annie and her Aunt Jill are vacationing on a small island out from New York called Fire Island. The island is small and Annie is really hoping that there will be at least a couple of people her own age. She was in luck. They were staying at the summer home of a friend of Jill's who just happened to have his nephew Ty staying with him. Now the vacation was looking up and even more so when she learned there was a ghost on the island. Maybe she would be able to see the Madonna Ghost for herself, making it a first for her. And of course with Ty by her side, it would be fun.

What Annie and Ty soon learn is that there is more than a ghost on the island. The men staying in the cottage next door seem a little strange. And when Jill comes up missing, they are both sure the neighbors have something to do with it.

The suspense and mystery in this book had me rapidly turning the pages. I read a lot of books and usually have them pegged at least halfway through. Not this one. It kept me guessing all the way to the end. So much so that I've ordered the next two books by this author... Secrets in the Fairy Chimneys and Girl with Pencil , Drawings

First Priority: A Short Story
First Priority: A Short Story
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The house stood battered and forlorn, surrounded by five ..., March 15, 2015
The house stood battered and forlorn, surrounded by five live oaks that formed a horseshoe turnaround. To the right, lay Myrtle's small strawberry patch. The berry bushes hung with the red-ripened fruit ready for tomorrow's picking. Berries were rotting on the bushes from all the rain. To the left, lay her bell pepper patch. Strawberries and bell peppers were the only living Myrtle knew.

June was Myrtle's only child. In Myrtle's opinion, she should have been born a boy, then she would have someone to help her out around the farm. But no, the same God that took her husband had only seen fit to give her a daughter.

June is determined to prove to her mother that she can do everything that a son could have done. This has become her obsession with the hopes that her mother will finally accept her.

This short story brings warmth to the heart. I felt for Myrtle as well as June, understanding them both.

Mysterious Ways: Love Grows in Mysterious Ways in the Bayou
Mysterious Ways: Love Grows in Mysterious Ways in the Bayou
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They were jam-packed into the back of the truck like sardines in a tin can, March 15, 2015
Tears filled June's eyes, as she watched the strawberry fields become lakes. They sat on their front porch and looked across what were once their strawberry fields into an immense span of nothing but water as far as the eye could see. Still, Andy refused to leave the farm. "If the river gets too high, we have the tractor and the dump truck. We'll be able to ride out on one of them, if it gets to the point where we have to leave. God will spare us. Our berry crop may have gone under, but we won't have to leave our farm. Taking a loss on the strawberries is heartbreaking, but we can claim the loss." June spoke in a firm voice as though she dared Myrtle to say different as her mother took a seat in the porch rocker. Andy leaned back in the swing and placed an arm around June's shoulder. "Ed told me the people loaded onto the National Guard truck for evacuation endured a hot, cramped, long, tiring ride, as well as unbearable sights. They were jam-packed into the back of the truck like sardines in a tin can. The truck continuously stopped to load other occupants, making the progress to higher ground slow, to say the least. Homes and businesses were flooded with water up to their roofs in some areas. People could only hope and pray the homes they left behind would not end up the same way."... "I heard about it on the news," Myrtle interjected. "A bulletin informed people about the different locations. I told you we'd have bad luck from that black cat. It was bound to happen sooner or later."

Andy and June have known each other since they were kids attending the same school. June had always had a crush on Andy but never knew he had one on her too. They have finally been brought together due to him being a strawberry inspector/grader and June and her mother Myrtle being strawberry farmers. It became a match truly made in Heaven.

On their way into town to have their strawberries inspected and graded, a black cat crossed in front of them. Myrtle, being the superstitious person she is, declared bad luck wasn't far behind and she was right when Andy downgraded her strawberries leaving a bad taste for him in her mind. Andy on the other hand, decided he wanted June and the only way to have her would be with her mother's consent and blessings. To receive these he would have to endear himself to her. This task actually became fairly simple since Myrtle had always been disappointed that June wasn't the son she had always longed for.

Growing up in the Georgia, I know how stubborn superstitious people can be and no matter what you say they will always cling to their beliefs. Myrtle was like that. She was a God fearing, religious woman who believed that everything happened for a reason known only to God but she also believed that a lot was pure luck - good or bad. In Southern Superstitions June does everything possible to convenience her mother that luck has nothing to do with life, God does. Myrtle, on the other hand, blamed the flooding on the black cat. She also blamed everything else that happened over the years on that same black cat. But when tragedy really struck bringing an unplanned separation of June and Andy, Myrtle finally understood that only God will listen to our prayers and supply us with the `luck' we need to survive.

This is such a beautiful story of love, compassion, life, strength and belief. It takes a strong person to endure what June went through and still keep her faith and belief. May we all have the same trust in God that June had.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20