Profile for Martha A. Cheves > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 406

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Martha A. Cheves RSS Feed (Charlotte, NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
THE ORANGE MOON AFFAIR: A Thomas Gunn Thriller (International Mystery, Suspense & Financial Thriller Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas was injured and now spends his life on board his fifty-seven foot Fountaine Pajot with the love of his life, August 20, 2014
"I saw the FIM-92 Stinger ground-to-air missile spearing up toward us from the far ridge. My reactions were slow and for a fatal moment I watched the white smoky trail from the rocket motor arc its way through the sky. I pulled on the collective and kicked the anti-torque pedals to port, almost escaping the oncoming death, but the rocket slammed into the tail boom. The earth spun in a lazy arc as the helicopter arched over backwards at fifty feet above the rocky desert as I lost control, spiralling to the ground, pieces flying in all directions, the only section remaining relatively intact being the forward cockpit, saved because the main rotor head deflected the impact. There was no pain, just a smashing, grinding, splintering sound. I felt a violent lurch as my head slammed into the side door, then silence."

When Thomas Gunn's father Sir Ivan Gunn talked to him about taking over the family business, Gunn Group Industries, Thomas had declined. He decided instead to join the military. After eight years as an officer in the Special Forces Support Group, Thomas was injured and now spends his life on board his fifty-seven foot Fountaine Pajot with the love of his life, Julie. But when his father was kidnapped and then murdered, Thomas was forced to take over the company. It didn't take long for him to understand that someone had been transferring money into a project that only his father knew about, or so he was told. And when Julie's father started tracking the project, its people and those running it, there was nothing to be found. With billions of dollars being transferred to the project, someone was getting rich but who.

This book has more ups and downs than the biggest roller coaster. There are government conspiracies that take in some of the top names all around the world. Thomas and the few he feels he might be able to trust, find themselves running all around the world tracking those involved as well as the money. Try as I may, I did not guess what was actually going on until it was exposed to me by the Author near the end. This book was one I didn't want to put down. It was one that irritated me (in a good way) because I couldn't guess the ending. And it's one that I recommend, especially to the male readers who love a good espionage, action book as well as those female readers who want a book that will really grab them too. I loved this and am looking forward to reading the next book in this series The Jonas Trust Deception.

Compulsion (Emily Stone Series Book 1)
Compulsion (Emily Stone Series Book 1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An entire detailed investigation unfolds in less than five minutes in front of him from a phantom super sleuth. He is just one o, August 11, 2014
Detective Rivas wastes no more time and clicks on the first email. It quickly loads several photos and a video showing a man clearly digging in a deserted rural area. The detective's blood turns cold and he feels sweat trickle down his neck. He watches the man in the cheap neon Hawaiian shirt talking to himself explaining how sometimes dying is the right thing to do and how brave the little boy was to die for him... clicking on the other emails, Detective Rivas obtains detailed metro-scan maps fro the Yuma county assessor's office and clear photographs of the suspect with a complete background of criminal and personal history. An entire detailed investigation unfolds in less than five minutes in front of him from a phantom super sleuth. He is just one of many who has been blessed with the help of this serial killer hunter.

Detective Rick Lopez of the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office has his own serial killer to deal with. Women are turning up dead after being tortured. He is convinced that this is not the work of just one serial killer but a team of two, which is extremely rare. Apparently the killer will remove an arm from his victim and replace it with the arm of the victim before her. This in itself is a puzzle but Lopez knows that the killing will go on until the killer is found and destroyed.

Emily Stone is a loner. Her parents were murdered when she was only twelve and she sent from her home in Indiana to live with her uncle in California. Over the years she has seen her share of crime. Stone crazy men abducting and molesting children and now her attention is being turned to women being abducted in her own town by a deranged killer. Something has to be done and soon but apparently the police haven't a clue as to the person's identity.

Someone is sending high-tech emails and evidence to the police departments that lead them to the arrest of serial killers. Who, no one knows. Could it be a policemen? Could it be Emily Stone? Or is it someone you would least expect? As I read this story I had my killer nailed about half way through the book. Well, I was wrong. The first killer was eventually revealed but not the second. I was firm in my decision as to who the second was. Again I was wrong. See if you can figure this one out before the end of the book.

This is the first in the series and I can't wait to read the next titled Dead Game so I've already bought it and have it in line to read. If it is anywhere as twisting and full of surprises as Compulsion I will find myself up late reading again.

Echoes of Mercy
Echoes of Mercy
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars " "The grave is fine. There will have to be some soil added ..., August 8, 2014
This review is from: Echoes of Mercy (Kindle Edition)
"As I said, I noticed you bring the flowers for your husband's grave," I was grappling for words to explain the situation. She nodded and I went on. "Shortly after you left, there was a disturbance in the graveyard. Something exploded and I'm afraid Mr. Kingsfield's tombstone was destroyed in the mayhem." "Oh my goodness." She put a dainty hand at her throat, "What caused the explosion?" "We're not sure." I looked at her expecting more of an outburst. When it didn't come, I went on. "We felt sure you'd want to know about it." "Of course I do, and it was kind of you to come tell me." "The grave is fine. There will have to be some soil added and grass planted but other than that, it will be ok." "That's good. I wouldn't want to think that Leo's body was disturbed." She picked up the teapot. "Would you like more, Willa?" I shook my head and sipped the tea already in my cup. I was trying to understand what was going on in Elva Kingfield's mind. She was taking the news awfully well.

Reverend Willa Hinshaw had the duty of informing Elva Kingsfield that there was a bomb in the flower basket that she had placed on her deceased husband's grave. From the way this aging lady was acting, could she possibly have been the one to place the bomb in the basket or is someone else simply trying to do away with this little lady with hopes of inheriting her rather large estate? After getting to know Elva, Willa is sure she had nothing to do with the bombing. But when Elva starts insisting that her deceased husband is paying visits and her niece Penny tries to solicit her help to have Elva committed, Willa knows that there is someone sinister behind the scenes. And this all proves true when Willa starts receiving warnings to stay away from the family or face death herself. Now she has the responsibility of helping save this lovely woman from her own family.

This is my first reading of this author's work and I must tell you that I'm hooked. The reading is easy, not too many characters to get them confused, and the mystery keeps you guessing. I loved every word of it and can't wait to get my hands on another of her books.

Murder in the Air (A Twin Lakes Mystery Book 2)
Murder in the Air (A Twin Lakes Mystery Book 2)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars even though Sol doing his best to keep her from investigating, August 6, 2014
Lydia Krause is present when the discovery of a body puts a stop to all work on the Twin Lakes' newest addition that includes a miniature golf course and putting green. The body is removed and sent to the lab, which estimates it was in the cellar between fifty and seventy-five years. There is no ID, but they determine that the remains are that of a male between thirteen and seventeen years of age. As to what happened to him, why and how he ended up in the cellar is anyone's guess.

Lydia’s boyfriend Detective Sol Molina, who referred to her as "Miss Marple after her help in solving murders that took place in Twin Lakes a few months earlier, warns her to stay out of this investigation. And stay out is exactly what she plans to do. She has more important things to occupy her time, such as her job and attending the eighty-fifth birthday party for a friend and neighbor Daniel Korman. But that changes when Daniel visits her, hinting that he might know something about the body though apparently he isn't ready to share his suspicions. At his birthday party, Daniel announces his engagement to his beloved Evelyn, upsetting many members of his family. Daniel is a very wealthy man, and they see Evelyn as someone out for his money. Then the unexpected happens. The day after Daniel's party he is rushed to the hospital writhing in pain. Hours later he is dead.

Does someone want Daniel dead before he marries Evelyn? It appears that two of his three children are up to their ears in debt and could use his money. But they don't know he has already changed his will leaving most of his money to Evelyn, to go into trust for his kids after she passes. That could prove to be a danger to her life.

With all that is going on around Lydia, there is no way she will let her friends down and not try to get to the bottom of this situation, even though Sol doing his best to keep her from investigating. She is one spunky 59-year-old lady. This is the second book I’ve read in this series. My first was A Murderer Among Us, which hooked me on the characters of Lydia and Sol. These books are light reading mysteries that are hard to put down. And despite the many books I read, I still had a hard time coming up with the truly bad guy until the end.

CONTRIVED
CONTRIVED
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisa didn't like his family, August 1, 2014
This review is from: CONTRIVED (Kindle Edition)
Tyler arrived in Dallas from New York to attend his father's 69th birthday party. His flight was late getting in, and he checked his watch - 9:05 p.m. - as he stepped off the plane. He had grown up in Dallas, but now lived in New York City with his girlfriend, Lisa. He had graduated Harvard cum laude and was working as a fund manager at a hotshot hedge fund company on Wall Street. He had not visited Dallas in three years. Lisa didn't like his family, particularly his dad and Tyler couldn't blame her. His dad alienated many in the family with his philandering nature. Over the years, Tyler felt as though he had been losing touch with his family. He was looking forward to this trip as a way to reconnect with his dad and his two brothers - Wolf and Ron.

What Tyler walked into was no longer a birthday party but a murder scene. Someone had been shot in the head in one of the upstairs bedrooms and Tyler's nephew Nick was the one to find the body. With blood on his shirt, he was also a suspect. Then came the 2nd murder.

This book takes you through so many possibilities. I shifted from one suspect to another with almost every chapter. I would convenience myself that I knew who did the killings and possibly why but seems I was wrong each time. This book will really keep you guessing. This is the 1st book I've read by Jay Deb but I hope it won't be my last.

This House is a Home: A story of coal mining, family and the Sengers of Stiritz
This House is a Home: A story of coal mining, family and the Sengers of Stiritz
Price: $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I slowly walked into this small shack that looked like it was falling down and searched for the light ..., July 29, 2014
"Just go in and do your business,” Uncle Rich said as we approached the wooden shack. “This is old school all the way. Do me a favor though. See if you can find any toilet paper in there."

I was stunned. What did he mean by that? I slowly walked into this small shack that looked like it was falling down and searched for the light switch. Not finding one I left the door ajar to allow the sunshine to stream in. Once fully inside I saw a long piece of wood along one side of it that looked like a couch without any cushions. There was a hole in the middle of it with a toilet seat attached to it. I assumed this was where I had to go. I closed the wooden door behind me that had a half moon cut out near the top if it and slowly lifted the seat. A tremendously bad odor arose very quickly... I squeezed my nose shut with two fingers while I did my thing... Even though I didn't need it, I looked around like Uncle Rich suggested and found no toilet paper. I did find a Sears catalog and wondered why it was there but there was nothing to wipe your butt with... Uncle Rich was waiting for me when I finished.... "What's the catalog for?" I asked. "That's old-time toilet paper,” he answered with a smile. “You can read while doing your business and then just rip a page out and use it."

In the 1970's teenager Peter was assigned to do a summer report on his family history. Being from a family of divorce he didn't know his dad's family all that well and knew very little about his mom's side either. He did know his grandfather but when Peter tried to talk to him about the ‘good old’ days, his grandfather, Vern, would joke around, take a draw off his cigar and another swig of his always present bottle of whiskey. Peter's mom and uncle decided the best way for him to find out about his family was to go back to the coal mines of Southern Illinois. Boy was he in for a surprise, as well as an education.

Once in a while I pick up a book that takes me back in time. This was one of those books. As I read about the 'outhouse' I couldn't help but go back to my own life in the 1970's when we would visit my dad's distant relatives in the North Georgia mountains. They too had the outhouses, the cow and chickens, the pot belly stove for heating and cooking, and the way of talking that only comes from the mountains. My first visit was much like what Peter first experienced. I couldn't believe people actually lived like this. Where was the AC? Where was the TV? What was that thing my 4th cousin was pushing up and down after pouring milk into it? And best of all, what did I just eat?

Whether you grew up in the 1970's or not, this book will not only transport you to the way life used to be, and I'm sure still is in some places, but it will also teach you the same lesson that Peter learned from his great-aunt Maddy, "A house is just a building, what makes it a home are the people in it. It doesn't matter where you live or what you do as long as you have family you're taken care of."

I love this book!

Ghost Writer
Ghost Writer
by Lorna Collins
Price: $13.46
21 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars smart, funny, July 24, 2014
This review is from: Ghost Writer (Paperback)
"I don't believe in ghosts," I used to tell anyone who'd ask. I'm a 'techie,' a computer programmer. I deal with data and facts, not fiction and fantasy. So how did I get mixed up with a temperamental, egotistical, rude, smart, funny, aggravating, self-centered, loveable... uh... spirit? Okay, if you insist, ghost.

Nanette (or Nan as most called her) Burton found herself caught up in the downfall of the mortgage industry only five years after graduating from college. But that was just the beginning of her problems. The building she lived in went into foreclosure, so she was also out of a place to live. Then her live-in boyfriend decided to bail out when she received an eviction notice. Well, his leaving was actually a blessing because he didn't work, wasn't looking for work, and simply lived off Nan. So when her paycheck left, he found himself another victim to mooch from. Final step, move back home with Mom and Dad until she could find a job and buy a car. Oh yeah, her car died, too.

Living with Mom and Dad wouldn't have been so bad except they had turned her bedroom into Dad's study so she had to sleep on the sofa. The Victorian sofa with all its wood and firm springs.

Then Nan's great-great-aunt Nanette Burton, whom she had been named after, passed away at the age of 104. When Nan and her dad were called to the lawyer's office for the reading of the will, there seemed to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Nan would soon be living at her rich great-great-aunt's beach cottage. Finally a place to live and a bed to sleep on. But her living at the cottage came with a few things Nan didn't expect. One being her aunt's dog, Mitzi, and the other being her aunt's famous author friend Maximilian Alexander Murdoch. Max actually wrote women's fiction under the name of Maxine du Bois and had done extremely well. But when Nan moved into the beach cottage, Max didn't take it too well. This was his house and had been for years... before and after his death. Yes, Max is a ghost, who ends up allowing Nan to live in 'his' house if she will help him finish his last book.

I can never get enough of this writer's light reading. She always grabs me right in the beginning and continues until the very last page. She makes me laugh and she makes me feel sad now and then but she always delivers with a great book. You can't help but love this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2014 7:30 AM PDT

The Demeter Code (An International Spy Thriller)
The Demeter Code (An International Spy Thriller)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Action Book, July 18, 2014
The grounds surrounding the cottage had every kind of electronic surveillance and anti-trespassing device imaginable, including a German shepherd named Roosevelt. If anyone were to be able to get within thirty years of the house without being detected, there was a chance that the CIA would recruit them. Even if anyone managed to beat the surveillance and thought of shooting through the windows with a sniper rifle, the one-and-a quarter-inch polycarbonate bullet-resistant windows would present a challenge. And if the sniper were to think of attacking at night, they'd also have to content with the blinds being closed. In addition, the house had live-in operatives who anyone would've assumed were just the average elderly couple spending their retirement years living in the country. Although they may not appear to present a danger to anyone, the so-called retired couple that a few people knew as Dennis and Glenda, were well versed in handling any kind of firearms. They both came form the previous generation of spies who first cut their teeth in the business when they worked at the Moscow Station during the 1980s.... Now that is a safehouse! And that is just the place Ridley Fox feels safe depositing his "asset" to keep her safe until all is clear for her to come back out into the public.

Ridley Fox, a former Joint Task Force 2 Warrant Officer, has joined back up with Dr. Nita Parris on a mission far more bizarre than in Pandora's Succession. As I read The Demeter Code, I came up with many guesses as to what the Code was, what it represented and who was behind it. Turns out that I was wrong in all of my guesses. This book scared me, it gave me cause to stop and take a good look at the world today, realizing that this could actually happen and it made me thankful that we do have security in line to prevent these events from happening, I hope. This book may be filled with action, murder, suspense, espionage, and all those things that most men seem to love in a book but it's so well written that I recommend it to all readers. As with the book before this, Pandora's Secret, I couldn't put this book down. This is one writer that I plan on following through his books.

STRANDED IN TIME
STRANDED IN TIME
Price: $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars which made it fun for her, July 10, 2014
This review is from: STRANDED IN TIME (Kindle Edition)
"You know how it started? There was a crack in that wall. I didn't discover it until I worked there for about six months. I subbed for the teacher, and I just had to use the bathroom. Normally I used the one we had in the teachers' lounge, but we had a fire drill that day. We had to stand outside longer than I thought, after getting all those kids out of the building. On our way back in, I excused myself form the class to use the bathroom. I had one of the more responsible girls watch the others, which made it fun for her. She loved playing teacher, you know. I knew it wouldn't take me long to pop in and out. And there it was. I could hear cheers.. I could eve hear a coach training them. I tried to look through the crack, but all I saw was light coming form the gymnasium floor... I kept going back to that room. I'd sneak in after school was out. Sometimes I heard nothing. Other times, there were kids shooting hoops before a practice and setting up for school plays. I was becoming obsessed. I would watch through the crack, and the only time I saw any kids was when someone was on the stage.... I made sure the place was empty before I started knocking down the wall with my hammer."

Samantha (Sam) has a paper to write for school. Her professor told the class it could be anything as long as it wasn't something that had been covered in the news. Sam decided to write her paper on her mother's family, which she actually knew very little about. She knew her mother had gone to Lotus School for just a few years and then she and her mother had moved away. Her mother had never been married to her father who had been just a one night stand. After her mother's death due to a wreck, Sam had met and gone to live with her father. She now wanted to know more about her mother and the relatives she never knew.

Sam's adventure starts when she goes to Lotus School, which is no longer in use, just to be closer to where her mother grew up. It was at the school that she discovered a little girl playing on the stage behind the wall that had a hole in it. As she stepped through the hole, she found herself in another time. Sam had just stepped back into the 1970's. Her great-grandmother was still alive, as was her grandmother and her own mother was just a child. Then she meets Suzanne.

Sam came into this past world with knowledge of what the future holds. She, along with Suzanne, can make changes and correct some of the events to happen... but will they?... should they? There is a child that will die, unless Sam and Suzanne can prevent it from happening but if they do what will it change in the future? What will any events that take place in the 1970's change in the future if they try to make changes?

This book took me just a few pages to become involved in the story but when I did, I didn't want to stop reading. As each event is to take place, I find myself wondering how this is going to affect Sam's life if she ever makes it back to her own time. And if she doesn't, what will happen when her mother grows up and gives birth to her? Will there be 2 Sams in the world or will she not be born at all? This book was a very entertaining read that I really enjoyed.

St. Louis Hustle ('Nam Noir Series Book 2)
St. Louis Hustle ('Nam Noir Series Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the bills in the mail rack spilled out of the holder like garbage. Now, July 8, 2014
From the day that Angel moved into her apartment, the bills in the mail rack spilled out of the holder like garbage. Now, in a neat pile, they looked like a deck of playing cards. Nice, but not her style. Suspiciously, she opened the pantry. Rows of bottles and cans, arranged by size and shape, filled the space. She crept into the bedroom... The top drawer of the dresser, usually a wild mess of lingerie, was not neatly organized by color and design. But, the intruder made one mistake. A pair of black panties had been jammed between the drawer and the dresser. Angel wouldn't have done that. Who did, and why?... Angel works for Marvel Candy Company, along with Nick Davies. They have been having a closet affair for some time and it's become apparent that Angel wants more, but who would have gone through her apartment while she was meeting with Nick?

Elvin Suggs, Dimon "Di" Redding, Elvin's Vietnam friend Cobra Glynes and Elvin's Airedale Savannah or just "Vanna" decided to open a detective agency after they were instrumental in solving a case at the Jewel Arms Apartments where Di had lived before it burned down. Their agency The Grapevine Detective Agency has just taken on it's first client, a lady named Emily Davies. Apparently Mrs. Davies suspects her husband of having an affair with one of the women he works with. Elvin and Cobra both see this as a simple case. Follow the husband, see where he goes at night while the wife works and see who he meets. Di, on the other hand, doesn't see it quite that clearly. She has a gut feeling that Mrs. Davies isn't telling everything. So while Elvin and Cobra follow the husband Nick, Di follows the wife. Turns out, they both end up in the same place, the Coral Court Motel which is known for its by the hour rate.

This book has more turns than a mountain road! Most of the characters turn out to be totally the opposite of what they are shown to be in the beginning. And someone is killing them off, one by one. But who and why? If you want a book full of twists, you can't beat this book. The ending was nowhere near what I expected it to be.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20