Profile for terroh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 146

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

terroh "terroh" RSS Feed (OH)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Miracle-Gro All Purpose Foam Indoor Plant Food, 8-Ounce
Miracle-Gro All Purpose Foam Indoor Plant Food, 8-Ounce
Price: $3.97
13 used & new from $3.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I cant say how good this fertilizer is as I've only been using a few months, but its very easy to use. You just pump the foam on the soil and water (I water first, then water after) For the casual houseplant owner, it couldn't be easier. If you have a lot of houseplants like I do, the bottle wont last long (I'm almost out) but for most people this should last a good while. No mixing and no fuss!

My Mother's Wars
My Mother's Wars
by Lillian Faderman
Price: $19.03
60 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page Turner, February 21, 2014
This review is from: My Mother's Wars (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This ill fated memoir written about the author's mother reads almost like a novel, it is so detailed. I was hooked from the first few pages. Set against the rise of Nazism and the Holocaust, her mother struggles to survive in the USA during the Depression after immigrating here between the wars. Worrying about her relatives in Latvia and feeling powerless to do anything about them, she is also emotionally trapped in an ill fated relationship with a man who wont marry her. You know things aren't going to end well, but you cant help wondering and hoping despite the sense of doom that pervades the story. The March of Time like newsreel stories that describe current events that start each chapter really help put the reader into the times. Well worth reading.

Banana Boat Sport Cool Zone Sunscreen Continuous Spray SPF 30, 6 Fluid Ounce
Banana Boat Sport Cool Zone Sunscreen Continuous Spray SPF 30, 6 Fluid Ounce
Price: $6.44
24 used & new from $1.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well., February 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Have no complaints about this sunscreen. Is easy to use and smells good. That's half the battle as makes you want to use it. I assume it's doing its job. Sunscreen is a must if you are outdoors with the vanishing ozone. I prefer using a spray to a lotion so this is a no brainer. Reasonably priced too.

The Deadly Sisterhood: A Story of Women, Power, and Intrigue in the Italian Renaissance, 1427-1527
by Leonie Frieda
Price: $24.17
66 used & new from $2.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, February 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very interesting accounts of some noteworthy noblewomen who lived in Renaissance Italy. Power struggles, intrigue, murder (and that was just the men!) If you wanted to survive and stay in power you had to be on your toes and keep your wits about you, particularly ladies of that period. Some of the characters I had heard of, most I did not. But their stories will intrigue you and hold your interest. Really brings the period alive. Great reading for any history buff!

Gloria Swanson: The Ultimate Star
Gloria Swanson: The Ultimate Star
by Stephen Michael Shearer
Price: $20.80
69 used & new from $2.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Gloria Deserved Better, December 3, 2013
I was looking forward to this book as little has been written about this great star except for her autobiography years ago. The book is well researched, but rather dull. I have to agree with other reviewers, it doesn't really bring its subject alive or explain why she was such a big star in her time. The author also has an annoying habit of picking apart statements from her memoir when he has no real proof they are untrue, its just his opinion. The last third of the book reads like a travelogue of where Gloria went, what she wore and what projects she didn't do. It gets very tedious. Worth reading for those who don't know much about this forgotten star, but not half as good as Gloria's memoirs. The definitive biography on Gloria has yet to be written, but this will do for now....

Shirley Jones: A Memoir
Shirley Jones: A Memoir
by Shirley Jones
Price: $18.31
224 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Bad As Expected, September 27, 2013
After reading so many of the bad reviews, I expected the book to be really bad, but it isn't. An interesting read that can be read quickly. I had already heard about the "shocking" bits, so there weren't any real surprises. If you are a die hard fan (which I'm not) you might be shocked or offended. I had heard about how "difficult" Jack Cassidy could be, so I wasn't too surprised to read about his antics. The book has a lot of gaps in the narrative. Don't expect Shirley to talk about every film she made, when she did what, even when her parents died. Its the kind of book that talks about the highs and lows of her life and career but doesn't provide a depth of details. The section on masturbation was really unnecessary to go into so many details. Is this how she wants to be remembered? (LOL). Talking about the size of her sons (and stepsons') private parts seemed unneeded also (Do they want that out in print for people to know? I can give her a pass on her ex-husband. That's a little different). Overall, for casual reading, I enjoyed the book. And I give Shirley points for living her life her way and not giving a damn what other people think...

Logitech USB Headset H530 with Premium Laser-Tuned Audio
Logitech USB Headset H530 with Premium Laser-Tuned Audio
Offered by LWOutlet
Price: $74.99
12 used & new from $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Sound, September 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These headphones have pretty good sound quality, though they aren't state of the art by any means. I use them to listen to classical music at work (great to avoid boring background work talk) and there is some static at times depending on the instrument being played. My set seems to have a short in the wiring, that sometimes comes in to play, but since I didn't pay for these, I cant complain. My only real complaint: if you have a rather large head these might not be for you. I have them stretched as far as they can go and it would be nice if they could expand a bit farther. They are comfortable to wear otherwise.

Ann Harding - Cinema's Gallant Lady
Ann Harding - Cinema's Gallant Lady
by Scott O'Brien
Price: $30.75
28 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Researched, June 18, 2013
I loved the author's previous book on Kay Francis (haven't read the Bruce biography yet). This book is not quite as good, but is certainly worth reading, if only to bring more focus on this neglected star, Ann Harding. Ann was a huge star at RKO from the late 20s when she was lured from the stage to Pathe (which RKO acquired later) until she unwisely left Hollywood in '36 after her second marriage. Ann was dissatisfied with her film roles and justly so, but her career never recovered and when she returned in the 40s, she was relegated to character roles. Ann today remains largely forgotten except to film historians and some film fans. Even Turner Classic Movies rarely shows her films and usually in the early morning hours. After 20 years she has yet to be chosen Star of the Month. The book is well researched but could have used some editing here and there particularly in her later years, when every television appearance is noted and critiqued. I did not find this book as interesting as the Francis bio, perhaps because Harding led a less dramatic life or maybe because she was good at hiding the dirty laundry. O'Brien does try to solve the mystery of her later years, but doesn't quite solve it. Hopefully if you read the book it will motivate you to watch some of her film roles (that wonderful voice and beautiful blonde hair will definitely make an impression, but she had the acting talent too). It's a shame her only Oscar nominated performance (in the original Holiday) only exists in the Library of Congress (I think). Worth reading.

Change of Heart: The Songs of Andre Previn
Change of Heart: The Songs of Andre Previn
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $14.78
47 used & new from $3.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 4, 2013
I'm rarely dissatisfied with anything Michael Feinstein records, especially his collaborations with American composers, but I found this recording rather lacking. Andre Previn is probably better known for his film composing and orchestra conducting more than the songs he wrote, but even so, this is all they could come up with? Where is his probably best known song, Theme from the Valley of the Dolls? (instead we get a lesser song from the film). No songs from It's Always Fair Weather are included either, especially I Like Myself (think Gene Kelly on roller skates). I thought that would be an obvious choice, but it's not on here. This one will probably be collecting dust in my collection. Too bad.

Lost In You
Lost In You
Price: $11.59
30 used & new from $2.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont Like It, April 29, 2013
This review is from: Lost In You (Audio CD)
I hate to give Petula Clark a bad review, as I've liked her since her 60s heyday, but I just cant warm up to this new CD (didnt like the last one either) She sounds fine (considering she's 80 yrs old!) though I noticed there are no big finishes. Why are all the songs so slow and depressing? Cut Copy Me was on her last CD. Why include it again? And ANOTHER version of Downtown? I guess I prefer the Pet of the past, when she was singing fun catchy songs. Kudos to her for continuing to perform and record, but I'm just not into this music. Sorry.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 12:30 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15