Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS
Profile for R. Finkbeiner > Reviews

Browse

R. Finkbeiner's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Finkbeiner RSS Feed

Bratzillaz Doll - Maygana Broomstix
Bratzillaz Doll - Maygana Broomstix
Offered by Running Crow Toys
Price: $14.95
28 used & new from $13.28

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 30, 2012
I was really excited to get the Bratzillaz dolls. However, Meygana turned out to be pretty disappointing.

When I took her out of the box, I found that she had the absolute worst hair I've ever seen. It was dry, matted and frizzy. Whenever I tried washing it, big clumps of hair came out. The doll honestly looked like something that had been played with for years, rather than something that was brand new. I do realize that curly doll hair often looks bad out of the box -- maybe the straight-haired Bratzillaz are better? Still, it was pretty sad.

Another thing that should be noted is that her goggles and hat are actually sewn onto the head, and if you do decide to take them off, it can be challenging to get them back on in a way that looks nice. The elastic for the hat is also especially weak -- I had it break just trying to get the hat back on. Also, the pegs holding the earrings in are entirely too small, and they fall out very easily. I would imagine that they would get lost very fast if owned by a child.

If you can get past the issues, Meygana is still a beautiful doll. She has amazing eyes that have a sort of iridescent sparkle to them. However, if you do decide to get Meygana, be aware of these flaws.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2013 12:46 AM PST

Monster High Abbey Bominable Fashion Pack
Monster High Abbey Bominable Fashion Pack
Offered by CosmicToyShop
Price: $23.76
5 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fashion pack for Abbey!, May 21, 2012
I got this fashion pack for my Skull Shores Abbey, because I don't really like beach clothes that much. I have to say, it's absolutely adorable! The best part about this outfit, of course, are the ice skate boots. The only thing I didn't like was the black vest -- I think she looks much better without it. Overall, it's a great outfit that I would recommend. :)

Monster High Wolf sisters Clawdeen and Howleen Wolf
Monster High Wolf sisters Clawdeen and Howleen Wolf
Offered by Eletron Digital
Price: $48.90
32 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome dolls, March 26, 2012
I just got these today, and they are awesome! Yes, they don't come with stands or brushes. Both of them have very curly hair that would probably frizz if you used a normal MH brush on them, so that's not really that big of an issue. The stands I was a bit more upset about, but I have some extra stands for them, so all is well. I have heard that Mattel is selling stands for these particular dolls, so you can email them and ask!

Anyway, both of these dolls are awesome! Howleen is especially adorable. She's shorter than the other dolls, and has a very cute hand mold. Clawdeen's outfit is a bit basic, but her hair is awesome, I love the green and black bangs.

Overall, I would recommend these dolls.

Monster High Toralei Fashion Pack
Monster High Toralei Fashion Pack
Offered by Eletron Digital
Price: $47.90
6 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fashion pack!, February 23, 2012
I got this fashion pack, not for my Toralei, but to use on some of my Create-A-Monster girls. It's a really cute outfit, and can match well with pretty much anyone. I especially loved the triangle 3D glasses -- so cute! I definitely recommend this fashion pack.

Dimensions Needlecrafts Punch Needle, Tool and Threader
Dimensions Needlecrafts Punch Needle, Tool and Threader
Price: $3.29
6 used & new from $3.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for rehairing dolls!, July 23, 2011
I use this tool for rehairing My Little Pony dolls. For the most part, it's very effective. I occasionally run into a problem, like ripping the hair when I wasn't paying attention to where I was punching, but it has otherwise been great. I highly reccomend this tool!

Mercury Rising (Sailor Moon the Novel)
Mercury Rising (Sailor Moon the Novel)
by Lianne Sentar
26 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Please hear me out -- This book is bad., March 9, 2010
I have to start this review off by saying that I am a fan of the original, Japanese version of Sailor Moon. I got this book, along with the other ones purely out of curiousity. I had read the reviews and heard that the books were filled with horrible teenspeak and out-of-place product placement, so I assumed that it would be an amusing read. And besides, it only costs a penny, so why not?

I found out rather quickly why not.

There are two main things that are wrong with this book. The first has already been touched upon by other reviewers: the Americanization sucks. Following in the footsteps of DiC's adaption of the anime, the Sailor Moon novels use the dub names for the characters -- Usagi is Serena, Naru is Molly, Motoki is Andrew, and so on. Oddly enough, some of the attack/transformation names have been kept true to the Japanese version...But not all of them. It ends up just a strange hybrid of the Japanese and English versions, something that I wish could have been avoided.

Of course, the main Americanization that everyone refers to is the product placement. I'm not going to lie: if you are under the impression that it's just here and there, or that it would be funny to hear, I have to say that you're wrong. The product placement and pop culture references are CONSTANT, referencing everything from 'NSYNC to Pokemon cards to Waldenbooks to Laura Ashley blouses -- and that's only the tip of the iceberg. On one memorable occasion, the author inserted four product placements into a single paragraph. It may seem funny at first, but after the 1000th time, it becomes very tiring. As expected, with the Americanization comes annoying teen dialect, but compared to the overwhelming amount of product placement, the teenspeak is hardly noticable. (Though, I was a little taken aback by the amount of times the Lord's name was taken in vain... Couldn't they have said "oh my gosh" instead?)

You might be thinking that, with the Americanization being such a glaring issue, that it is the reason I disliked this book, right? Surprisingly, it's not. I would have been able to deal with it if it wasn't for the simple fact that the characters' personalities were so dramatically altered from their Japanese counterparts.

The most notable change is, of course, Serena, who is the main character of this series. Where do I even begin? If you are familiar with the original Japanese version, then you'd know that Usagi Tsukino is a kindhearted, friendly girl; however, she's the first to admit that she's clumsy and a bit of a crybaby. The most she'd ever say about herself was say that she was "cute", but for the most part, she was rather humble. Such was not the case with Serena. Serena was like a manifestation of Usagi's flaws, but amplified to make it them one hundred times more obnoxious. First of all, she was incredibly conceited, and wasn't above congratulating herself on every occasion. (She once suggested to Melvin that he should "drool over that wicked cool superhero, Sailor Moon" instead of the idol Saffron. And on another occasion, she referred to herself as a "stylin' teenage female" in retort to being called a "little girl".) Whereas Usagi was originally lazy when it came to school, Serena was downright ignorant toward it, brushing off her studying with a wink and a nudge toward the reader, as though we're supposed to agree that it's cool to not care. Her eating habits were simply vile -- I know that Usagi ate a lot, but the scene where Serena shoved an entire cupcake in her mouth and then bragged about being "an expert at scarfing" was just disgusting, as was the fact that she considered being able to eat an entire McDonald's meal in four minutes without choking a "talent". It was not cute, funny, or endearing at all.

And if you think that Serena is the only one with a character change, then you're wrong. Everyone seemed to have nothing but negative things to say to each other. Molly, in particular, was pretty rude when Serena was talking about becoming superstars together. In the original, Naru and Usagi were equally excited to be dance partners, but here, it was completely one-sided. Luna, who was prone to getting pretty frustrated with Usagi in the original, was pretty nasty as well. I know that the DiC dub largely censored the original, but exactly how does making the characters so mean make it more suitable for American children?

It's a shame that the book is like this because the writing style is quite good for what it is. Had it been more faithful, it might have been an entertaining read. But with characters so horrible, and bad product placement to boot, I regret ever getting this. Please, don't waste your money on this. Don't let the $0.01 price tag lure you in... It's terrible. Watch the anime, or even better, read the manga -- it's much more worthwhile than this piece of garbage.

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1)
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1)
by Richelle Mead
Price: $8.99
427 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible book., January 17, 2010
I tried to like this book. I really did. However, I can't even stand reading it. Our main character, Rose, is the most obnoxious brat I've ever read. Not only is she rude and stupid, but she thinks that it's cool! She describes her comebacks as "hilarious" and her body as "risque in an exotic way". She's constantly swearing and badmouthing other people, and we're supposed to relate to this! I would read further into the book, but I just can't stand her.

Not to mention, the whole premise is kind of stupid anyway. What's the point of mortal vampires? They use magic, yes, but there's really no reason why they couldn't have been witches instead of vampires. I feel that the author just kind of shoved the "vampire" label on it so it will sell better.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2011 7:39 PM PDT

Azumanga Daioh
Azumanga Daioh
by Kiyohiko Azuma
Price: $18.96
86 used & new from $6.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for all Azumanga Daioh fans!, December 29, 2009
This review is from: Azumanga Daioh (Paperback)
If you're a fan of Azumanga Daioh, this omnibus from Yen Press is definitely worth the money. The book is huge, and in beautiful quality, with color inserts throughout the book. But what really shines here is the translation. If you felt that ADV's translation was lacking, you might like this version a lot better. Yen Press has preserved a lot of things that ADV had previously taking out, ranging from honorfics to entire cultural jokes. (For example, in the ADV version, Tomo tells Osaka that if she was REALLY Osakan, she'd have a meatball sandwich... In this, she says that Osaka would have takayaki, which is obviously a better translation.) Granted, some things were still changed to fit an American audience (Osaka was given a southern accent, similar to the English dub fo the anime), but it still managed to stay close to the original.

All in all, it's a great book. I'd recommend this to just about anybody!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2010 5:58 PM PST

Princess And The Frog Tiana Color Your Own Doodle Purse Disney
Princess And The Frog Tiana Color Your Own Doodle Purse Disney

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappy product, December 5, 2009
The markers they give you to color this are HORRIBLE. They dry quickly, yes, but they're incredibly runny, and they can't handle more than one layer. You can't let the strokes touch because if you do, the colors sort of clump together and a lot of dark spots show up... It looks gross, and very uneven. Tiana ended up looking like she was made out of wood. :( Skip this product.