Profile for M. Renfree > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Renfree RSS Feed (Chicago)

Knives of Alaska Xtreme Suregrip Handle Boar Hunter Knife
Knives of Alaska Xtreme Suregrip Handle Boar Hunter Knife
Price: $108.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Knife. D2 steel takes a great edge, October 3, 2014
Awesome Knife. D2 steel takes a great edge, and seems to hold it forever. I was camping recently for about 6 weeks, and was still able to shave with this knife after using it every day. I've been using it as an all around camp knife, which is probably a bit more aggressive than the manufacturer intended, however, it has held up to everything I've thrown at it.

The holster is well made, but about a 1/4 inch too short for the blade. as a result, the tip to the knife pokes through, and has left me with at least one unpleasant poke. Ended up making my own.

Overall, solid quality knife. I've gotten plenty of compliments on it as well. A little long for everyday use.

The League Season 3 [HD]
The League Season 3 [HD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow. This is C grade television. Bland, ..., October 3, 2014
Wow. This is C grade television. Bland, overused jokes relying mainly on stereotypes. Characters lack depth, and about everything else. People watch this?

Kiss Each Other Clean
Kiss Each Other Clean
Price: $9.99
70 used & new from $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A sign that I'm getting older, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Kiss Each Other Clean (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Iron and Wine since the start, and its hard to remember a summer night on the porch without The Creed drank the Cradle getting some play time. I loved the delicate organic feel, and the strength and restraint the writing used.

I've began to realize as I get older, that the music I used to love is slowly dying. Another user mentioned bands falling apart, or taking a step in a new direction as the years go on. And I'd have to agree, as hearing this album in this state has brought on the feeling of a candle finally burning itself out.

I had heard parts of the album performed in an acoustic session NPR over the last few weeks. The performances lacked all of this "clutter" that this album seems to have. The writing may not have been as strong as previous albums and EPs, but it still had that raw sound that I really enjoyed. Once the CD finally arrived, I found myself checking to see if it actually was the right one.

What are these sounds? Why are they here? When they performed in studio the music was free from all of this sampling, editing and mixing. Why are there sound effects? Obviously these stray sounds were not important enough to include in a live set, and I feel that they only bury the real music.

I appreciate an artist taking steps to explore other areas and methods to make good music. I just hoped that even with a new larger label, Sam Beam would have had the restraint he used in his earlier lyric crafting and applied it to the overall sound. This album reminds me of the first time I saw a "build your own sundae" buffet. I was so eager to try all of the sprinkles, syrups, bits of pineapple etc, that I ended up with an uneatable mess. I feel that that same may apply to this "new direction".

I've listened to it almost constantly since it's release, desperately trying to find some way to like it, but each and every time it ends I don't. Perhaps It's just me, as everyone can have their own opinion, but I spent some of the best years of my life living with an Iron and Wine album playing in the background. I hoped for another album that grew on those times, but instead this album serves only to remind me that those times are gone.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 8:10 AM PDT