Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Jamasiel X > Reviews

Browse

Jamasiel X's Profile

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jamasiel X "life explorer" RSS Feed (GA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Transcendence (2014)
Transcendence (2014)

4.0 out of 5 stars But it is fun!, June 15, 2016
Silly and nonsensical in some ways, but it is fun, and I think the message about love and humanity shines through some of the cliche and confusion. It doesn't insult your intelligence but does encourage suspension of disbelief, but hey, why not? It's why I choose lots of entertainment!

CHASTITY BITES
CHASTITY BITES

4.0 out of 5 stars sure why not Erzebet?, May 22, 2016
This review is from: CHASTITY BITES (Amazon Video)
Silly and dumb but makes for a fun flick to watch - it has a feel to it like it's in the same universe as Fright Night and Jennifer's Body. Low on the scare meter.

Cmyk® Battery Operated Silver Moroccan Orb LED Fairy Lights with 40 Warm White Leds, Ambiance Lighting, Great for Indoor Use in Party, Bedroom Decor (4m)
Offered by CMYK.Store
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like being in a battery powered Moroccan den!, April 17, 2016
Very cute, provides nice mood lighting, warm feeling.

Synecdoche, New York
Synecdoche, New York

4.0 out of 5 stars The invention of Hell., October 29, 2015
This is simply one of the most brilliant movies I've ever seen. The intricate complexity, the playing of players, the reflection on how we live on rumination, and think if we can examine something with just one more angle, with a little more detail, we'll finally "get it", while real life - and love - pass by.
And I'll never watch it again. It's too agonizing. It speaks to clearly about my own worse impulses - selfishness, regret, not letting go, injuring those who are with me now because of fixation on this grand design of reflection. And it does it with such razor-sharp deftness that even though I don't think of myself as far gone as he gets even in the beginning of the film, it's like the most horrible, troll-like aspects of me were given form and pushed through the destroyed persona portrayed by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. It's really terrifying - I usually use "Se7en" as my go-to for "incredible film I'll never watch again" but this one tops it - that for outer horror, this for inner horror. I give it 4 stars to indicate this.
The actors, the actors of actors and so on - some of them even seem to be trying to show him the error of his ways, but he just nods as he hears them, but it doesn't sink in: The show must go on, life be damned.
Right down to the very last word, which echoed for some time after the movie stopped. Staggering.
Well done, Kaufman, Hoffman (RIP), Keener, Williams, Morton, Wiest, David and on and on.

You created a universe as a warning to us all.

The Final Girls
The Final Girls

5.0 out of 5 stars Much fun and sweet - with machetes!, October 25, 2015
This review is from: The Final Girls (Amazon Video)
Surprisingly touching - and played with the tropes without either veering into being a Scream series follower or too Grand Meta-Theme like Cabin in the Woods (one of my favorite movies, but this just isn't the same approach).
I won't get long winded, but in movies that blend smart approaches, horror and comedy mixed in surprising ways, this is great,
but on the scale of recent bests, I'd consider Cabin in the Woods and What We Do in the Shadows 5-stars, Shaun of the Dead 4.5, And this a nice 4.0 stars...
I know this goes against those official stars I rated, but I hope you appreciate the context.

The Man In the High Castle - Season 1
The Man In the High Castle - Season 1

5.0 out of 5 stars I find this to be a very moving depiction., October 25, 2015
They do a good job with depicting real characters in the midst of whatever Nazi-everything control.

Oven Mitt Pig
Oven Mitt Pig
Offered by Great Meister
Price: $11.62
95 used & new from $11.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, October 25, 2015
This review is from: Oven Mitt Pig (Kitchen)
Matilda did not seem to appreciate as much as expected :(

Sound of My Voice
Sound of My Voice
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It has to cost something to be worth something., October 25, 2015
This review is from: Sound of My Voice (Amazon Video)
A more nuanced film than I expected - the title drew me in, but that's obviously intentional with the subject matter and how that phrase is used within it. Yes, investigative reporters find weird things in a cult. Yes, there's creepy behavior and cover-ups. And yes, it's a tension of "real" vs "crazy or charlatan"?
But the artistry of the film plays with all of this so well, played along the acting and lines, and how sound is used to separate, isolate, open and close in various scenes.
It may be an imperfect film, but may we be faced with so many more lovely imperfections.
To crib one of the reviews in the WIki article:
"a delicate, mesmeric thing that dances darkly along the edges of psychology, religion and science-fiction, raising questions about faith, identity, self-betterment and romantic connection."

The Frame
The Frame
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing and complex lineages, October 7, 2015
This review is from: The Frame (Amazon Video)
Oddly touching and oddly story of interweaving stories. It's clever without trying to be too much, and while it hits some of its budget limits for effects and shots in ways that seem obvious, the story and characters bring it through. I felt it was easier to follow than Ink, and I cared a bit more. Also reminded me of some of Luc Besson's work like Angel-A.

Pacific Rim [Blu-ray]
Pacific Rim [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Idris Elba
Price: $9.99
97 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Giant Robots Punching Interdimensional Monsters in the Face!, September 10, 2015
This review is from: Pacific Rim [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Yes, there are better movies in the history of cinema, but I like rating them for being what they set out to be.
In this case, it's robots punching giant monsters. The acting was good, and it's a pretty good indicator of the quality of negative reviews when you have to revert to insulting people who might like something you don't because of your Hansen-style Daddy Issues.
It's a vivid, exciting movie where they promise no more than explosive action sequences and cigar-chomping style dialogue, and you get it.
The use of cinematography and effects are unparalleled and there's just enough character depth without trying to make it a Merchant and Ivory film with giant robots. Because it's about fkn giant robots.
That punch interdimensional monsters in the face!
RAWRRR!