Profile for Nathan T. Stitt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nathan T. Stitt RSS Feed

Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers
17 used & new from $204.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad but Not Great, February 10, 2014
I got a great deal on this or I would not have purchased. It handles many things very well, and my favorite things are reading a news app and watching Prime videos. My kids like playing the games. However, there are two things that would prevent me from buying another one.

First, the silk browser is not good. It struggles with many web sites and is very poorly implemented. Speed isn't an issue, usability is. I sometimes do not visit links because I don't want to fight the silk browser. This would be less of a problem if not for the second issue, which is huge. Kindle's are locked out of many apps for android devices. I knew this going in and almost did not buy one for this reason. You simply cannot download many android apps. It sucks. Can't replace the silk browser. Can't use many apps.

I would recommend the Kindle for someone that is not very interested in app variety and if you can get them for a cheap price. Not worth the MSRP, but they frequently go on sale. If you are a heavy Prime video user and don't require much variety in apps, or want one to read from they are worth while I guess. I don't plan to buy another one at this time. I'll get a regular android tablet next time. The only exception would be if I got one for my kids to use.

So high marks for value, build quality, and multimedia. Low marks for poor internet browser and extremely limited app options. Unless you want a dumbed down tablet or Kindle-specific features get a proper android tablet. Amazon needs to open up the store and change their tactics here...

The ESV Study Bible
The ESV Study Bible
Price: $30.98
83 used & new from $30.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Study Bible On The Market, January 13, 2012
This review is from: The ESV Study Bible (Hardcover)
This is easily the best Study Bible available. I have many others but this one gets everything right. Really the only complaint that can be held against it is if you don't like the ESV translation. As for the actual study notes and articles, everything is top notch and ecumenical in approach. There are various accusations about the notes in this Bible being biased but I have found them to be even handed in most areas, for example see the notes on 1 Timothy chapter 2.

The actual construction and design of the ESV Study Bible is also of a very high quality. This is not a red letter Bible, which is a good thing in my opinion. The text is black, in a single column, and the references are placed in the inner margins. All of these things mean that this Bible is very easy to read and study from.

If you have narrowed your search for a Study Bible down to this one and a few others than I recommend going with the ESV. Even though it is not my favorite translation, all of the features and designs in this book make it rise above the rest. I have a more thorough review on my blog, Discipulus Scripturae, if you are interested in more in-depth analysis and images. Just do a Google search for ESV Study Bible Review.

Canon Powershot A1200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (Black)
Canon Powershot A1200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (Black)
Offered by Wall Street Photo
Price: $197.02
7 used & new from $42.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera for the price, April 12, 2011
I bought the Canon A1200 because I wanted a small point and shoot that I could take everywhere with me. Other selling points were the optical viewfinder which I don't really use much, as well as the AA batteries. I use Sanyo Eneloops in this camera and they work great. I don't know how many pictures I can take with them on a single charge because I end up recharging them before they die completely.

The biggest surprise for me has been how well this camera does in low lighting. I have sometimes had trouble with getting good exposures in the dim lighting in my house but not with this camera. The sensor seems to be tuned for low light performance and it is a consistent performer for birthday parties or just taking snapshots of my kids.

I uploaded a few of the artistic shots I've made with this camera and I can say that the A1200 has exceeded all of my expectations for a point and shoot camera at this price range. It is a great performer and with a little effort it will take great images. I've messed around with some of the preset options and they help a little bit, but the auto setting works well if you don't want to fiddle with things. Also, the Discreet Mode is great! I accidentally took a picture with auto-flash and interrupted a speaker, so now I always use this mode to disable the focus light and flash when needed.

On a final note, I bought a Lowepro Volta case and it's a perfect fit, though there is no room for spare batteries. I just wanted a slim package that I can fit in my pocket. It's a bit bulky but not an inconvenience. I highly recommend this camera if you are on a budget and want a solid performer at the hundred dollar price range.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2012 10:24 PM PST

NASB Update In Touch Ministries Wide Margin Edition; Top Grain Cowhide; Burgundy
by The Lockman Foundation
Edition: Leather Bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing, high quality NASB bible., December 1, 2007
This is a review of the NASB In Touch Wide Margin bible in Burgundy Calfskin, ISBN 1581350708.

PROS
The calfskin is absolutely gorgeous. I've handled the black and the blue calfskin editions of this bible but they do not compare to the feel and grain of the burgundy edition. Compared to the Crossway, Nelson, and Cambridge leather I also prefer this one in particular and it is worth owning nearly for this reason alone. The ribbon markers are of exceptional quality, wide, and long enough to use easily. The paper quality is very nice, and the binding is sewn so that the bible lays absolutely flat from the first use. Everything about the materials here is very high quality and among the finest that you can find. The translation is the Updated (1995) NASB which is very literal and excellent for study. Additionally, this is not a red letter edition which is a huge plus in my book. The concordance and maps are nice enough, and the layout of the pages is very pleasing and facilitates easy reading of the text. As others have mentioned, the only appearance in this bible of In Touch Ministries or Charles Stanley is in an elegant single-page dedication at the beginning of the bible.

CONS
Some of the pages are slightly wrinkled near the inside seam. For an expensive bible this is something that shouldn't be there, however it doesn't affect the ability to read the text or write down notes in the margins. Speaking of margins... The outside, upper, and lower margins are very generous and easy to mark in. However, the inside margin is not very wide and I find that I can only easily write in cross references and one or two words. I've started using the lower margin for notes on the inside column, and the outside margin for the outside column because of this. Also, there are no cross references in this bible. I would prefer to have them for convenience however I am hopeful that I will gain more by researching and writing them down for myself.

Summary
This is hands down the nicest bible I own and it is very pleasing to handle and use. I love the quality construction and hope that it will last for decades so that I can have a lasting bible to write down my notes as I study the word of God. If you are looking for a wide margin bible for note taking or a well crafted calfskin bible you can't go wrong with this bible.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version, Compact TruTone Edition (Brown/Cordovan, Portfolio Design, Red Letter)
Edition: Imitation Leather
12 used & new from $13.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, quality ESV bible, November 30, 2007
This is a review of the ESV Compact Trutone Portfolio Bible ISBN 1581347677.

PROS
I have looked at all of the other compact bibles available from Crossway and I preferred this one over the others. It's trutone cover nicely mimics leather in both appearance and touch. It feels much softer and durable to the hand than the bonded leather and is soft and supple. The ribbon marker is a handsome gold color that matches the rest of the bible, is attached firmly, and is long enough to use easily. As another reviewer mentioned the ribbon is also already bent for you and makes it really easy to use compared to several of my other bibles, very handy. The layout of the text on the page and the font used are easy to read if you have normal eyesight or corrective lenses. This is a pocket bible so if you have trouble reading small fonts you should probably get something in a large size. There is a nice sized concordance in the back of the bible which is nice for it's compact size. By the way the dimensions are 4x6in (10x15cm) and only 3/4 of an inch think (2cm). My copy states on the copyright page "ESV Text Edition: 2007." and I am very pleased to have the latest update to the ESV available in this bible.

CONS
The binding does not permit the bible to lay flat. I wish it was sewn similar to some of the other ESV compact bibles, but it seems that it is glued. I hope that the binding holds up over time, and it appears that it will, however if it were to lay flat and was sewn I would be more confident in the binding. Additionally, the pages are a bit too thin. I would have preferred to leave out the concordance and have some slightly thicker and more opaque pages. My major complaint about the ESV compact bibles from Crossway is that they are Red Letter editions. Hopefully in the future they will make an offering with black letter text, but for now that is not an option.

Summary
If you want an affordable and attractive compact bible than this is a great choice. It feels good in the hand, is easy to use, and the translation is one of my favorites. I bought it for it's pleasing aesthetics, the excellence of the ESV translation, and finally because the handy size is the same as my Moleskine for weekly use at church. I am pleased with my purchase.

ESV Compact TruGrip Bible, Rubber Cover, Orange, Red Letter Text
ESV Compact TruGrip Bible, Rubber Cover, Orange, Red Letter Text
10 used & new from $14.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly constructed., November 27, 2007
This is a review of the ESV Compact TruGrip Orange Bible, ISBN 1581346875.

PROS
The binding is sewn and not glued so this bible lays completely flat and should stand up to some abuse. The rubber cover seems very durable and looks to withstand much use. The silver ribbon (marker) is attached well, is long and wide enough, and of quality material. The page layout is two column without cross references, with text notes, and pretty readable. They managed to fit a concordance into the back of this bible, in an even smaller font than the text but still usable in my opinion. The overall dimensions are very compact and handy 4x6x1 inches.

CONS
The paper used is as thin as many of the other ESV bibles by Crossway and you can see two pages worth of text underneath the page being viewed. What I can't understand is why this bible is thicker than the other compact ESV bibles yet the layout is the same. Perhaps the pages are less prone to tearing by being thicker. The cardboard to which the rubber cover is glued is separating into many layers as the glue pulls the rubber away from the paper. Words of Christ in red; I'd prefer an edition with all black text. Uses the original 2001 text and not the updated ESV text released this year.

Summary
I love the ESV translation and highly recommend it, just not this particular bible. Crossway got many parts right, but the thin paper combined with rubber cover fails miserably as it is starting to separate after only a few uses.

[edit]
Two months later; I gave this bible to our youth pastor last month. He loves it and takes it to church every Sunday now. Not my cup of tea but perhaps it deserves more than the two stars I gave it.