ARRAY(0xa0cc272c)

Customer Reviews: 98

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Heltsley RSS Feed (Wisconsin)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577
Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577
Offered by ahmed electronics
Price: $232.99
42 used & new from $203.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thermostat I've ever had, December 30, 2013
I've had programmable thermostats since the 90s and I've enjoyed them every step of the way. But the one thing I always wanted I finally got with Nest. True remote control. Sure I've had remote control before, but I had to be physically on site with it. Now I can actually be remote.

On top of that I love the aesthetics and design of this unit. Simple enough my techophobe friends and family can work it without instruction. Powerful enough that I want to use it too.

Its pretty good about being a smart thermostat. Not as smart as I'd like it to be, but I think that's a matter of information. As in it doesn't have enough to be any smarter without remote probes. It can tell what the temp is outside but it can't tell what it is in the basement without buying more Nests. It does a good job at learning too, though I've always felt more comfortable setting the timers manually and find that I prefer my schedules to the ones it has come up with. But for someone who doesn't want to program their thermostat this would be a huge advancement.

Finally the best part, and the worst part, is the interconnectedness. I wish my utility, WE Energies, was in the program to use Nests in their programs. But alas WE is not in the system yet. I also wish the Nest was more proactive about its "leaf" program. The one where you earn leaves for using less energy. I.e. make it a game we can play, tell us what we can do on a daily basis to be better about energy use. I.e. "Tonight is going to be cool, try opening windows to reduce the need for AC." or "Its going to be hot and sunny today, think about closing the shades before you go to reduce the heat build up inside your house", or "Its going to be below freezing and windy tonight, make sure to cover windows to prevent drafts". Make it social too, let me see and share my leaves on facebook or Nest's site. Like a fitbit for my house.

I love that I can set my house to away when we aren't going to be following the schedule. And that it can usually auto sense we are gone. I love that it can tell me what the temp is in my house at any time from anywhere and allow me to change it quickly and easily. Easier than physically being there even. I wish I got credit from my utility for having it and I wish that it was more social and engaging. All in all it is a fantastic product at the beginning of an awesome life of possibilities. I'm looking forward to seeing where Nest goes from here.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Nest Protects, almost as much as my Nest, December 30, 2013
I've always hated our smoke/co2 detectors. I've been hoping someone would figure out a better solution and now someone has! My Nest Protects not only allow me to interconnect all my Nests via wireless instead of having to wire up every room in my house, but they all talk to my phones too. Which means I don't have to wonder if they are on, working, dead, offline, whatever. I can just pull out my phone, from anywhere, and check. In addition I can be notified if there is a fire, or CO2, remotely. I don't think people are giving that the credit its due. Sure there are other solutions coming out that sort of do that. They listen for the alarm and then notifiy you somehow, but they can't tell you what and where like Nest can. I can tell which room sensed it. I can even silence the alarms if I know its nothing serious. Like if the wife burnt dinner before I got home, I can kill the squeals without her having to leave the kitchen. (Right, as if my wife would be caught dead cooking dinner. But its a nice thought none the less).

I love that this unit gives me remote sensing capabilities that are only going to get better.
I love that it ties into the Nest app I already have and use frequently.
I love that it is open to home automation tools to allow for future expandability beyond its presently amazing feature set.
I love that it the lights glow green when I turn the lights off in my kids room telling me its good to go.
I love that it has a little nightlight feature to light up as I walk past. I literally feel like its watching over me, and not in an Orwellian sense.
I love that I can shush the alarm by waving at it instead of having to reach up the ceiling to push the button. That was always a huge PITA. I'm tall, but its a stretch for me. The rest of family had to get a ladder or broom to do it. With a stupid alarm yelling at them. Now you just wave a few times. Done. If there is a real fire, according to their documentation at least, it will re-alert. Plus at this point we are all aware already.

All in all I love them. Are they too expensive? Yes. They should be half this price. Are they still worth it right now? Yes. So am I going to buy more at this price? You bet. And recommend everyone else do the same. Am I going to watch for a cheaper solution in 7 years when these need to be replaced? Yes. If Nest Protect is still the best I'll stick with them, but this price is really pushing my comfort zone quite a bit. And I am an early adopter, willing to pay for promise and potential.

Sanho iUSB Port for iPhone/iPad/Mac/PC & Wi-Fi Devices
Sanho iUSB Port for iPhone/iPad/Mac/PC & Wi-Fi Devices
Offered by Kellards
Price: $98.95
20 used & new from $71.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, December 27, 2013
I got in on the original kickstarter campaign and have been using it ever since. It was intended to be used as part of my onsite photo backup routine, but due to the speed of transferring files over wifi I abandoned that solution. It just took too long, though it was entirely doable if you had the time. I tried to make it transfer over USB, which worked but I needed a powered USB hub to really get it to be reliable enough. This wasn't always a problem, but it was inelegant. I just use the HyperDrive ColorSpace as my sole onsite backup now. And mostly use this to view the contents of CF cards from my iPad or after I back up my files to my colorspace then use this to view them from my ipad if I don't have the USB cable handy. Its best function though is to make a drive (thumb drives, USB SSDs or CF cards generally) available to my iPad. This works extremely well for video. I have been nothing but pleased with this device. It is a little slow compared to some of the newer 802.11n devices out there, but it is reliable and capable and as far as I know the one with the most experience in this space.

Kidz Gear Wired Headphones For Kids - Blue
Kidz Gear Wired Headphones For Kids - Blue
Offered by FamilySafe
10 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect kids headset, November 26, 2013
perfect headset for young kids. Not too loud, not too soft. It has its own volume control too, not that my kids use it. But its nice when I have both kids linked to a single source. The other thing I love is that it sounds good. Not $500 headset good, but better than all the previous kids headsets we've had. And they seem to hold up better too. This is our second one now. The older kid still prefers to use hers even though she could move up to a better sounding one. She just likes them. They are comfortable for my 2 year old and for me. The ears are small so they fit better on kids heads and they aren't too tight, but they aren't so loose that they are useless either. We have been really happy with these.

Gerber Graduates BPA Free 2 Pack Fun Grips spill Proof Cup, 10 Ounce, Colors May Vary
Price: $5.47
10 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars great sippy cup, November 26, 2013
Great little cups. They are big enough for an older toddler and small enough to not be heavy. They are easy to clean and virtually spill proof. They aren't perfect, but they are better than just about all the other cups I've tried for our little ones. I find that this is the one I reach for when I need a sippy cup for the kids. It seems to be one of their favorites too.

Plantronics Savi 740 Wireless Headset System for Unified Communication
Plantronics Savi 740 Wireless Headset System for Unified Communication
Price: $219.99
162 used & new from $189.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great headset, November 26, 2013
Best headset we've used yet. We have dozens of headsets from different generations across different brands and models. This is far and away the best. Plus it seamlessly transitions us to softphones when we make that jump. There are ton of great features so I won't get into those. Just know that it is hands down the best in the Plantronics lineup and in my opinion the best in any current headset line.

Malem Ultimate Bedwetting Alarm - Purple 1 Tone w/Vibration
Malem Ultimate Bedwetting Alarm - Purple 1 Tone w/Vibration
Offered by Just Home Medical
Price: $99.95
2 used & new from $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars a good solution to night time bed wetting for kids, November 26, 2013
We love this alarm. Sure we don't love having to use it, but we love that it works. Consistently. It just works like its supposed to and without fail. I expect that soon we won't need it anymore and she can have sleep overs and stuff like the other kids without having to worry about accidents. As it stands we've seen the doctor, tried the other recommended solutions and find that this is the best solution we've found to accidental night time bed wetting.

Huggies OverNites Diapers, Size 6, Big Pack, 44 Count
Huggies OverNites Diapers, Size 6, Big Pack, 44 Count
Offered by Box O' Mart
Price: $33.15
4 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars best overnight diapers, November 26, 2013
best overnight diapers we've used yet. Our son as a BOUS (bladder of unusual size) and wets through normal overnight diapers with ease. After using all the rest we keep coming back to Huggies for their better leak protection and superior capacity. They are the only ones that work more than they don't. I would like to see them even MORE absorbent but as they stand they are easily the best overnight diapers available that I am aware of. We've tried every brand on Amazon and in the stores (Walmart, Target, grocery stores, etc) and Huggies Overnites are our choice. My latest trick is to get even better performance from these is to go a size bigger than he usually wears and then put training pants on top of the diaper, that seems to be the best combination of leak protection and capacity I can find. Plus the training pants generally protect the bed, sometimes they get wet but they usually save the sheets.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2013 4:07 PM PST

Logitech Rechargeable Touchpad T650 with Windows 8 Multi-Touch Navigation - Black
Offered by Hayats
Price: $44.49
183 used & new from $28.36

5.0 out of 5 stars great touchpad, November 26, 2013
I don't like mice. I don't like track pads. But as I am at a desk most of the day I figured I'd give my wrists a break. This seems to have helped a lot over the mouse and isn't nearly as annoying as most trackpads. In fact I quite like it now. I'm using windows 8 and it seems to work perfectly.

Happy Tot Greek Yogurt, Pomegranate, Apple and Beet, 4.22 Ounce (Pack of 16)
Happy Tot Greek Yogurt, Pomegranate, Apple and Beet, 4.22 Ounce (Pack of 16)
Price: $30.98
4 used & new from $30.98

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome yogurt squeeze pack, November 26, 2013
My kids love this stuff. Which is nice since its better than just plain applesauce. Sure it is just fancy applesauce when its all said and done, but my 2 and 7 year old both eat it happily. And as a puree of fruits and veggies it is better than plain applesauce or fruit blends. Plus it introduces interesting flavor combinations that seem to make my kids more adventerous when it comes to actually eating the foods in these things.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10