Profile for M. Heltsley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 146

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Heltsley RSS Feed (Wisconsin)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
VicTsing® Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Waterproof Outdoor / Shower Speaker, with 5W Speaker/Suction Cup/Mic/Hands-Free Speakerphone - Light Blue
Offered by VicTsingDirect
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars good speaker, questionable quality, July 28, 2015
It has had issues with reliability in the past, but somehow its working again and this time it is very reliable. I'm not sure what happened originally that caused it to stop powering on, but after a good drying out and recharging for a few weeks it seems to be good as new (sort of). It still has issues where you need to hold the power button until the light flashes steadily (you used to only push it once to power it on). But I can deal with that as long as it powers on reliably again. I still don't trust that it won't freak out on my again. But in the mean time I've been using it for the better part of a year and for the first few months and the last month or so it has been great. It's just that month or so in the middle where it refused to work that bothers me.

For now though it is a great shower speaker. Its more than loud enough. Its clear and strong without being tinny or too bassy. Is bassy a word? Anyhow, it sounds good enough in a shower for my uses. Plus I like that it has a clip so I can attach it to a ziptie on my showerhead so it doesn't fall down when the suction cup eventually dries out like my old speakers did.

Also I enjoy how long it lasts on a charge. I only charge this once a month, maybe. But I use it every day for my showers. I generally play the news with it, or music, from my iphone. Its been great for that. I don't use the controls on it since they are hard to read (black indented letters on black rubber) but I now know where they are by feel, though I tend to still prefer to use my pebble to control the phone instead of the buttons on the speaker.

The only problem is the mic. Its terrible. Though who would use a mic in a shower? That said, even with the shower off its pretty bad. But I'm ok with that. It works well enough for Siri or Google Now for the most part. But don't try and use this for a speaker phone, it will surely disappoint.

Sabrent 60 Watt (12 Amp) 10-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Rapid Charger. Smart USB Charger with Auto Detect Technology for iPhone 6 5s 5c 5, iPad Air mini, Galaxy S5 S4, Note 3 2, the new HTC One (M8), Nexus and More [Black] (AX-TPCS)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $35.00
13 used & new from $31.95

5.0 out of 5 stars best USB charger i've ever used., July 28, 2015
I've been using this for the better part of a year and love it. Finally I can have all my stuff on my nightstand plugged in at once! Smartwatches, fitness trackers, phones, tablets, action cameras, extra batteries, etc. There is room for everything!

YONGNUO YN-622C-TX E-TTL Wireless Flash Controller for Canon
YONGNUO YN-622C-TX E-TTL Wireless Flash Controller for Canon
Offered by Golden Harbor
Price: $45.80
43 used & new from $33.02

5.0 out of 5 stars best trigger system, and best system commander I've used yet, July 28, 2015
This makes a huge difference! I love my flash triggers, and use them all the time. I use them for speedlights, and for studio strobes, and to combine them when needed. I have Alien Bees and Einsteins as well as a collection of various manual and canon branded speedlights. The flash triggers work on all of them and this controller easily allows me to control them in groups, with or without TTL mixed in, and quickly and easily switch between different groups and configurations. I use these for events where I have different setups for different parts of the room, then quickly and easily move between those groups with this commander and I'm always in control. Some groups have TTL for its dynamic lighting ability and some use manual controls, and I can even use them all together. It's better than any other system I have (and I have several, Cybersync, radio popper jrx, pocket wizard). I recommend this to everyone.

ChiChinLighting® 6 watts Warm White Motion Sensor LED Light Pir LED Bulb LED Motion Light E26/E27 Base Built-in

5.0 out of 5 stars Best motion bulbs I've ever found, July 28, 2015
Best motion bulbs I've ever found. I've tried a lot to get good motion activation results, but these bulbs are far and away the best.

Dinosaur Train - InterAction Tiny
Dinosaur Train - InterAction Tiny
Offered by GameSeek
Price: $17.73
12 used & new from $14.95

3.0 out of 5 stars worked great, until it didn't, July 28, 2015
We loved this, until it stopped working randomly. Replacing the batteries didn't fix it. So now I'm stuck with a broken dino that I can't fix. Boooo.

Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Alexa, July 28, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
I love my echo. LOVE it. I use for a lot, but really my kids use it the most.

Alexa tell me a joke. Alexa what's the weather like at grandma's house? Alexa define this or that. Alexa spell some word that's hard for a 2nd grader to spell. Alexa play "the kids" playlist. Alexa play the news. Alexa what is the square root of a billion? Alexa "I am your father". Alexa what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow in flight? Alexa pair/connect.

Its awesome. But it has it limits too. Some pretty big ones to be honest.
1) its not battery operated. That sucks for portability purposes.
2) it can do a lot, but really it is still extremely limited compared to a smartphone
3) it can't actually interface with your smartphone. It can be the bluetooth speakers, but it can't be a mic and Alexa can't control apps or phone functions like Siri, Cortana or Google Now can.
4) there are very very very very few integration at this time for this. No Nest. No Apple. No Google. Its pretty sparce. But its poised to grow. And once it gets a few of the big players it should open up really quickly.
5) It's surprisingly incomplete. I am constantly getting "I can't locate that right now" or some other message about how it can't answer my question. Granted I am asking a lot of random questions so some of this is expected. But Siri and Google Now don't have issues with most of these questions, why should Alexa?

Once you get over the limitations, which are decreasing day by day, it really is a pretty great tool. Get one. You'll love it.

Soon this will be built into other things, and maybe even extended to other devices that bypass some of these limitations. So it will only get better with time. Until it takes over the world, launches the nukes and calls down judgement day. But until then, it's really cool.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2015 2:25 PM PDT

GAME GOLF Digital Shot Tracking System, Red/Black
GAME GOLF Digital Shot Tracking System, Red/Black
Price: $177.72
25 used & new from $147.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Great golf addition, July 28, 2015
I love my game golf. I wish I could use it more, but its pretty awesome. I got it during the indiegogo campaign and absolutely love it. The one and only drawback is that I wish it had bluetooth connectivity to my phone so I could see the info in real (or near real) time. I bought these for myself, my dad and my brother, who all live in different parts of the country so we could play against each other remotely. It's a great tool. I find it super reliable and accurate and because its NOT running on my phone it lasts for weeks of play. All in all I really think this is a great addition to the game.

Poppy 3D - White
Poppy 3D - White

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Poppy3D, April 27, 2015
I've had a poppy3d since the kickstarter campaign. I love it and take a ton of photos with it fairly frequently. As an avid photographer I find that using my professional photo gear produces some amazing images, but the little 3D images that poppy creates are often even more compelling. My kids love looking at photos on it and I have to admit that I enjoy explaining what it is to people and showing them photos in it. Everyone is always amazed.

It does have some drawbacks, but I find them less of a problem the more I use it. First off this gets dirty fairly easily. And while you can wipe off the outside, getting to the prizms and inside the main protective glass is a bit tricky. I haven't seen obvious issues due to the dust, but its there and it can't be helping. Second the glass on the front isn't very tough. Its scratched and nicked from abuse, but I've lugged this thing around the country with me in my backpack, so its bound to get a little scuffed up. Overall I don't think its a problem, but I would like to be able to replace the front glass or at least get in to clean it without having to buy a new one. Then there is the resolution. The photos are less than half the size of the sensor since it has to put both images on 1 photo, and then its cropped a bit to make it look right. So each side of the stereo image (and therefore the overall finished 3D image) is less than 4mp. Which is still great for this, but not so great for larger screens. But if you think about the fact that Full HD (1080p) is only about 2mp, you can still imagine that this image is still pretty good. Also that is about the same resolution as the Lytro Ilyum camera, which costs over a grand and can't make 3D like this, though it does do some other cool stuff you can't do on a poppy, so its not a fair comparison.

That said I'm hoping to see this support iphone 6 phones at some point. Mine has a removable tray that lets me change the phone type, from my 4s to my 5s and I'm hoping to my eventual 6s (or whatever it'll be). We'll see.

In any case its a great device and takes really interesting photos. Get one, you'll love it. I used to upload the photos to the poppy3d flicker page, but honestly I find that more of a hassle these days. I would like to be able to see these on my larger screens some day, but for now I'll settle for this, and love it.

Armband for iPhone 5 / iPhone 5S (Black) - Model AB1 by Mediabridge (Part# AB1-I5-BLK ) - Premium Glass Screen Protector Included ($7.99 Value)
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars which is good and bad depending on how you plan to use ..., December 11, 2014
I have 3 different brands of armbands for different use cases. This one doesn't have any weather sealing, which is good and bad depending on how you plan to use it. It has never dropped my phone or given me cause to feel it will, but it just feels like it could. My 5s fits perfectly, but I wouldn't say snugly. I have no reason to believe it will fall out as its never come loose, but I can't help but feel worried every time I strap it on. That said I do use it, when there isn't going to be any foul weather for my run or hike. And its always been great. Its light and the strap stays put, which is more than I can say for some of the early generations of similar products I purchased years ago.

Bluetooth Shower Speaker - Waterproof & Dustproof - CE/ROHS/FCC Certified - Money-Back Guarantee - 2015 Model - Portable - Radio - Pairs with all Smartphones - iphone, Tablet - ipad, ipod, Android - Wireless Speakerphone - Music & Fun Indoor & Outdoor
Offered by iFox Creations
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it. With a few exceptions, December 10, 2014
My first unit was a dud, it wouldn't re-charge the battery. But support was stellar. They followed up with me and asked me how things were going, when I told them of the problem they fixed it immediately (well, once I confirmed it wasn't me just not charging it right), and I got a new one which works as expected. I love it. With a few exceptions.

1) Its hard to see in the shower. I don't have any direct lights in my shower, and as such it is hard to read the black buttons with black text.
2) no volume control that I can find. Though this may be in the manual, which of course I threw out with the box before realizing I couldn't change the volume.

Aside from that its been great so far! And service is top notch. I'd give them 5 stars just for that if I could.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 5:07 AM PST