Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now
Profile for Jeff P. > Reviews

Browse

Jeff P.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 408

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeff P. "Jeff" RSS Feed (Durham, NC USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
Price: $11.99
49 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for power users :-), May 1, 2016
I like freshly cracked pepper and lots of it. The standing joke when I dine with friends is that everybody passes the pepper to me as soon as we sit down. When the unsuspecting waiter at some swank place asks me to "say when" as he ceremoniously starts grinding some in my soup, others at the table start to giggle because they know he'll start to cramp up before I say "when."

I bought this for specialty Sichuan peppercorns but am going to get another one for plain old black pepper. Big pluses: it cranks so you can grind out a pile in no time. It adjusts from very fine (way too fine for my taste) to so coarse that it barely bruises the precious little nuggets, just as Nature intended. And you can see how much is left in it which is a big deal to me - I will often measure out a teaspoon or two for a particular dish and with this I can see exactly how much longer I have to stand there cranking. Not to mention that there are few things worse than sitting down ready to munch out, reaching for the pepper mill and...egad! Empty!

Price is right too. Great little everyday necessity.

The Big Lebowski
The Big Lebowski
DVD
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I would write more but I have a beverage waiting, April 22, 2016
This review is from: The Big Lebowski (Amazon Video)
We would write more but we have a beverage waiting.

Sincerely Nuts Raw Brazil Nuts Whole & Unsalted No Shell - Two (2) Lb. Bag - Insanely Scrumptious and Fresh - Filled With Antioxidants - Kosher
Offered by SincerelyNuts®
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Low (relatively) carb, first class nut goodness, April 20, 2016
These things are big fat plump hunks of deliciousness and pretty low in carbs (as nuts go). I like mine without salt and extra crunchy (singed is good) so raw nuts are what I buy and then I give them a nice intense ride in the toaster oven. I've been buying nuts online for years and have had some successes and some failures; these are a 100% success. They are huge (some competitors' are a bit smaller), whole (not that I really mind fragments but there are none to be found here) and they taste like Brazil Nuts (I've had some that must have been sharing the production line with peanuts - I love peanuts but I don't want to taste them when I'm eating Brazil Nuts). Very good stuff.

Helen Ou@ Sichuan Specialty: Dressings or Seasoning Dried Red Peppercorn Blend Pungent and Spicy 100g/3.53oz/0.22lb
Offered by helen ou
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, astonishingly aromatic, a new essential for my cupboard, April 19, 2016
(I also posted this review for the green version of these which are similar but with subtle differences that make it worth having both varieties in your arsenal.)

I discovered this experience (calling it just a "flavor" is an insult) at a local hole-in-the-wall Chinese/Thai restaurant and found myself going back again and again for their Spicy Crispy Beef speciality. Long story short, this pepper is what kept me knocking down the door. I had no idea what the spice was and then stumbled across these and thought "well, why not try them?" These are indeed the aromatic, head-clearing, tongue-numbing peppers that completely change the complexion of almost any food in a very good way. They have some kick, but I wouldn't call them super-spicy (I generally use dried red chilis to add heat when I use them because I like the pain). I've given small sample packets to foodie friends including people native to China, India and the US and the reaction has been universal, along the lines of "where can I get some of these?!?" A fun thing to do is to give one peppercorn to a friend and watch him/her chew it up as you chew yours up and discuss the taste. As the minutes go by and the numbing kicks in the conversation becomes something like, e.g., "oh my...this is interesting...oh wow...what are these again...?"

These are meant for Sichuan dishes but once you sample them you'll realize they can redecorate pretty much anything from pizza to scrambled eggs to pasta dishes to meatloaf. Peach cobbler, I dunno, but if you enjoy powerful flavors and haven't experienced these jewels, they are worth your while. Just a few will do so one package should last you a while.

Helen Ou@ Sichuan Specialty: Dressings or Seasoning Dried Green Peppercorn Blend Pungent and Spicy 100g/3.53oz/0.22lb
Offered by helen ou
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $12.99

(I also posted this review for the red version of these which are similar but with subtle differences that make it worth having both varieties in your arsenal.)

Inogen One G2 Backpack
Inogen One G2 Backpack

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider getting a luggage strap to use with the standard/factory G2 carry bag instead UPDATED 4/20/16, April 19, 2016
I bought a used G2 with the factory carry bag. I added the accessory rolling cart since the seller didn't have one; that was a worthwhile and handy addition despite being annoyingly pricey. This backpack looked like a good idea for days when I'm out and about, but now that I've tried it out I don't think I'll be using it much.

Pros:

* holds 2 spare standard batteries plus the charger plus maybe a couple of small extras

* fits the G2 well with holes to allow charging, air intake and exhaust, etc.

* very adjustable to fit most any body type with more straps than you may even need

* sturdy with a quality feel to it

* doesn't need a hand to hold onto it

Cons:

* somewhat cumbersome to put on and take off especially when fully loaded (hey, it's a backpack)

* must remove the backpack to check battery, power off/on or adjust O2 flow (again, not really the backpack's fault as the G2 doesn't come with a remote)

* sitting down (e.g., in a restaurant or movie) or getting in/out of a car or other transport can be clumsy

I dug out a couple of old laptop bags and cobbled together a pretty long (about 60") luggage strap with hooks on each end that I attached to the hooks on the G2 carry bag, then slung the strap across my body such that the strap was resting on my left shoulder, while the G2 was sitting just below my waist on my right (I'm right handed and about 6' tall). Bingo! I can take it off, put it back on, or switch shoulders in a snap. I can just glance down to see and adjust all the controls as I walk. I can't carry two extra charged batteries but I can carry one. If I want the G2 to disappear (say, under an airline or restaurant seat) I don't have a big clunky *thing* to deal with. I just slip the strap over my head and away it goes.

The clincher is that I can buy a good quality cross-body length luggage strap with a nice shoulder pad for around $20 vs. the $100+ that this item will set you back.

That said, I'm not going to return this backpack. There may come a time when I need to carry the G2 plus two extra batteries plus a charger, all the while having both hands free. Until that day, I'm going to make do with a long crossover strap and maybe a small belly pack for that third battery if I've just got to have it.

This is a well made product but I'd recommend looking searching Amazon for "luggage strap" and pay attention to ones that are long enough to be worn across your body. For me, this is the better solution.

UPDATE: while playing around I realized the standard carry bag *will* carry three of the regular G2 batteries rather than just two. Remove the G2 from the bag and you'll find that there's a pad on the floor of the bag that the G2 rests on when powering it with a standard battery. Pull the pad out (it's fastened with VELCRO) and set it aside. Now lay a standard battery on the floor of the bag. Set the G2 with its standard battery in place on top of that...basically you're using an extra battery as the new floor surface of the bag. Voila! The third battery fits into the fishnet pocket on the side of the bag that the flap folds over. For me, this is yet another reason to go with the crossbag strap approach.

She's Funny That Way
She's Funny That Way
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars A loose remake of "What's Up, Doc?", April 17, 2016
I didn't realize that Peter Bogdonavich directed and co-wrote this but before I was halfway through I was reminded of his classic Streisand/O'Neal/Kahn masterpiece. This is easily as entertaining as WUD. Impossibly clumsy interpersonal relationships, hilariously whacked characters, this is a must see (as is "What's Up Doc?"). A pity that the incomparable Madeline Kahn is no longer with us; she'd have been stellar in any number of roles in this film but all the actors are perfect. A masterful job. Look for actors, obviously older now, from Bogdonavich's earlier works. This is a real treat that I wasn't expecting at all.

Flipper Aquarium Algae Magnet Cleaner with Two Blades
Flipper Aquarium Algae Magnet Cleaner with Two Blades
Offered by JustaboveCost
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't even believe how perfectly awesome this is!, April 17, 2016
I can't really improve on the other reviews except to say that they had raised my expectations pretty high - very often a setup for disappointment - and my expectations were greatly exceeded. I put the abrasive (wimpy) side inside my glass and literally wiped away crud with a pass or two. This is the same crud I've take my scrubber-on-a-stick to every week or so and after much effort made a frustratingly small dent in. And now the crud is *gone* and that was *not* the blade side. The blade side easily dug under the substrate and peeled away the nasty green film that I thought had fused to the glass. My two Fluval glass aquaria look like fine crystal, I kid you not. The key points here are EASY and FAST. Spend the money!

Inogen One AC Power Supply
Inogen One AC Power Supply

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously overpriced; shop around, April 13, 2016
Search Amazon or the web in general for Inogen BA-301 (Inogen's part number) and see what's out there. I found an equivalent at Batteries Plus (now Batteries and Bulbs) for about $70 and kicked myself when I found still other equivalents for less...sometimes a lot less. It's just a generic 19V laptop charger brick with a plug that fits the Inogen. Same deal with the car adapter - there are alternatives that are not stupid expensive.

Zinus Modern Studio Platform 1500H Metal Bed Frame/Mattress Foundation with Headboard, Full
Price: $152.21
3 used & new from $152.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but excellent quality and a clean look that should last decades, April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Design: as you can see in the product info, it's clean and somewhere between neutral and contemporary. Nice matte black finish which I suppose you could paint, but I'm happy with it as it is. It's simple and clean and I doubt it will look dated anytime soon (I'm thinking of my uber-tacky over-embellished waterbed that I thought was so cool looking back in the day (shudder)).

Mine arrived in a box that had clearly been hammered during shipping and there was a big ding in the side of the outer carton. But the outer carton contains an inner carton so the outer took the hit and the bed itself was pristeen. The shipping box is very heavy. You'll need help getting it somewhere you can cut it open and remove the individual components to move them where you want to assemble it. As with anything like this, use caution with your box cutter so you don't scratch the bed. Mine was extremely well packaged.

Assembly effort: easy to very easy. Assembly-required products keep getting better and this thing was clearly engineered with efficient assembly (as well as shipping) in mind. I'm in my 60s and, uh, portly (to be delicate about it). I put this thing together alone in about an hour and a half and that was being downright leisurely about it; I'm pretty sure it could be done in half that time. The instructions are almost all visuals and are easy to follow. Apparently people have had trouble identifying the parts because there are "don't do it this way" warnings in a couple of places, even on the shipping carton's exterior, but I had no difficulty. The only tool you need is an Allen wrench and it's included (a short stool doesn't hurt if you have one handy).

All the parts fit together without forcing or the use of unsavory language - not that I would *ever* stoop to such. I've assembled many pieces from [insert name of Swedish big box furniture store here] and this is comparable to the easiest of them.

The wooden slats that support your mattress are installed using a very clever technique that lets you lay them out perfectly spaced apart BANG just like that. No tools required, you just lay them in place in seconds. I'm almost reluctant to say that the technique involves hook & loop strips (a.k.a. VELCRO) for fear that will sound cheap or temporary - it's not. Whoever came up with this approach was very creative and came up with a "wish I'd thought of that!" design that is just effortless. Very well thought out and clearly part of the design phase, not tacked on as an afterthought.

I'm reviewing the full size version of the product. Even this relatively small bed includes an underbed center support that rests on the floor to keep the frame from sagging. The bed is robust and sturdy. Surprisingly good stuff!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20