Profile for Jeffrey Pittman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 329

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey Pittman "Jeff" RSS Feed (Durham, NC USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt
Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt
Price: $39.97
13 used & new from $39.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A turbo version of Fix-A-Flat that U need even if U have a spare tire, April 23, 2015
My last car (an Acura TSX wagon) came with no spare tire, ostensibly to save weight and boost Acura's fleet mileage numbers. Instead, it included a non-branded item almost identical to this with no hint as to the manufacturer - a can of tire sealant goo and a 12V air pump connected to work together. I had occasion to use it and wow, this is a great concept! Beats the heck out of changing a tire in the sun or the cold or, well, it beats the heck out of changing a tire. I sat in the car with the AC blasting while this little gem (OK, the Acura-supplied equivalent) sealed and inflated my punctured tire, and I was off. This Slime version (including the electric pump) cost roughly half what the Acura goo refill can *alone* cost, so I bought this Slime kit. Sure enough, I had another puncture and the Slime kit worked exactly like the Acura version. So I replaced just the goo refill on the Slime kit and it's as good as new.

I just traded the Acura (sweet car BTW) on a car that does have a spare tire, but I'm buying another Slime kit for the new car anyway. It's cheap and if you get a puncture that it can handle you will bless the day you bought it. Oh yes, I did replace the two Slime(d) tires on the Acura eventually and it was not an issue for new tire installation or the TPMS. There are some urban legends out there about such products...if you use them your wheels will rot, your tires will dissolve, your sainted Grandma will come back from the grave and curse you...not true. You may get warts, though.

Fluval U1 Underwater Filter Foam Pad
Fluval U1 Underwater Filter Foam Pad
Price: $5.86
13 used & new from $0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine piece of manufactured sponge shaped to fit the Fluval U1 pump/filter, April 7, 2015
This is a review of the Fluval U1 filter for the Fluval U1 pump It's a manufactured sponge, shaped to fit inside the Fluval U1 filter, nothing more or less. It works great in the U1. There is no bio media, no charcoal, nothing to see here but a sponge. (I think the U2 and up models have fancier filtration.) I use my U1 as a cleaning aid before water changes. I remove the fishies, immerse the U1 in the tank, plug it in and then blast the substrate with a turkey baster That blows all kinds of nasty crud out of the substrate and suspends it in the water, where the U1 can suck up the crud. I keep doing that until the water is reasonably clear. That may require removing the U1 and rinsing the filter under running water and then putting it back in for another go, especially the first time you do it.

Then I do a normal partial water change.

When done, I remove the filter, rinse it and set it out to dry. There's no need to replace it as long as cleans up nicely under running water.

Note: if you try this method, the first time you do it you will be entirely grossed out by the amount of crud in your substrate which you probably thought was as pure as the driven snow. Stay calm and don't try for spotless the first week. Things will get better as you repeat the technique over time

The main point to understand is that, at least in my experience, these filters will last a very long time without replacement if you rinse them thoroughly between uses. They're just sponges.

LectroFan - Fan Sound and White Noise Machine, White
LectroFan - Fan Sound and White Noise Machine, White
Offered by NetRush
Price: $54.95

5.0 out of 5 stars 5++ stars from 40+ yr white noise machine user, April 7, 2015
Somebody is getting rich on this thing and s/he deserves every penny. I've been using fan-based white noise machines my whole adult life and can't sleep without one. I've even had to set a TV to a dead station, turn down the brightness and turn up the volume to get a decent all-night hiss going in a hotel to mask other sounds.

My first machine came from the Sears Catalogue's sickroom supplies section since the product category didn't really exist back in the 1970s. I've since tried many nature sound, white noise, brown noise, etc. synthesizers, including looping MP3s of such sounds on a player of one kind or another, and always went back to my fan-in-a-box from Sears or Hammacher-Schlemmer. But this thing blows the fan box away in every way. Volume can be much louder or much softer if you like. I can make it sound exactly like my current fan box if I want to, or something completely different but equally pleasing. And it's smaller (less than half the size), lighter (although it still feels substantial) and can be powered from different sources...a laptop, a wall socket, one of those portable battery charger doohickeys (a technical term) used for portable electronics when traveling, the USB port on the desk lamp in your hotel room, what have you.

If I could add anything it would be internal batteries and bluetooth (or at least a headphone jack), but I'm not complaining. This is vastly superior to my old faithful fan-in-a-box. If you're not a user of such things my enthusiasm will seem a little deranged, but if you are a user please trust me - you need one of these even if you don't know it yet.

Daffodils
Daffodils
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars I review a lot on Amazon but I *never* review music..., April 3, 2015
This review is from: Daffodils (MP3 Music)
...because taste is taste and why should you care what I think? I mean, I don't care what YOU think. But this is such a *FUN* piece of work I had to. 61 yr old white dude here and this takes me back to Parliament, George Duke, disco clubs...except they didn't have subwoofers back in that day, and you must have one to enjoy this. This rocks, this kicks *ss, this is (for me) one of those rare instant-ecstasy tunes that nobody has a formula for, but every now and then somebody squirts one out. Find this online somewhere and listen, but this needs to be LOUD and there needs to be LOTS of treble and LOTS of bass. This is a perfect example of why God invented the subwoofer. I believe I'll go disturb the nasty lady next door right about now...

Krunco Waterproof Pet Car Door Cover - Gray, Two Options To Install-Insert The Tabs Or Stick The Velcros. Fit All Vehicles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blows away the similar product they replaced - stays in place!, April 3, 2015
I have a big dog with big feet who likes to stand on a door armrest in the back and hang his head out the window. I had another brand of door panel cover that fit with tabs like the Krunco, but the other brand just wouldn't stay in place more than a few minutes. As a result, the armrest/door trim in the back seat was taking a lot of abuse. The Brand X covers finally fell apart so I decided to try another brand and lucked into these. It has been 3 weeks and NOT ONCE have Buford's big feet managed to pull one of the Krunco covers off of the door. (I used the tabs for installation.) If you've soured on door protectors like this because yours won't stay in place, do yourself a favor and give these a shot. The tabs can be positioned in a couple of ways to fit a variety of cars. Understand that you're placing a bet here - these may fit your car or not, and they may stay in place in your car with your dog or not (that's a lot of variables). But in my case these are like night and day. And the cost of refurbing interior trim for trade-in/lease-turn-in time for any car is going to be substantial - these are way cheap in comparison. Really happy with these and deliberately waited to review them for several weeks to see if they'd stay put. So far they have. Great stuff. BTW, I have these in a 2012 Acura TSX wagon. I understand that the TSX is a clone of the Honda Accord so I'd expect similar performance in an Accord.

Ortho Weed B Gon MAX Weed Killer for Lawns Plus Crabgrass Control Ready-To-Use Trigger Spray, 1-Gallon
Price: $13.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my annual dandelion crop and PDQ, at least for me...great spot treatment solution (pun unintended), April 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't have any of the packaging or leakage problems that others reported. This came premixed and ready to go and is perfect for my situation - an established lawn (not exactly yard of the month quality but presentable) next to a common area in the neighborhood that is effectively a dandelion and clover farm. So all those lovely things migrate to my lawn first. I hosed down a bunch of early dandelion blossoms and yes, in about a day's time they were all clearly dying - not shriveled into husks yet, but clearly not long for this world. I'll be repeating this from time to time as the spring wears on. I like the fact that it's premixed and ready for spot treatment because that's what I need in this instance. Can't speak to how it handles crabgrass as I won that war a few years ago, but it kicks some dandelion and clover hiney and is probably enough to last me all season.

Zoo Med Floating Betta Log
Zoo Med Floating Betta Log
Price: $10.16
42 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric likes it!, March 14, 2015
This review is from: Zoo Med Floating Betta Log (Misc.)
I thought my bored male Betta Eric would be afraid of or indifferent to it, so I didn't buy it. Then I thought it would be too big for my Fluval Spec III (2.6 gal) aquarium where Eric lives, so I didn't buy it. Then I bought it and Eric loves this thing! He spends at least half of each day sitting in or cruising through or around it. I'd tried any number of things...plain ping pong balls, colored ping pong balls, tiny floating bottles with colored water inside, ghost shrimp (Eric ate them). Nothing got his attention except the ghost shrimp buffet which didn't last very long. I can't say that this is Betta Utopia, but at least he seems interested in his surroundings now. Worth a few bucks.

Panda Sauce For Broccoli Beef, 8-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Panda Sauce For Broccoli Beef, 8-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $18.47
16 used & new from $18.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and tasty, March 14, 2015
This is a good base for doctoring up with multiple ingredients, and it works just as well if you just throw in some stew beef and broccoli florets. I generally throw in at least some unsalted toasted almonds and chopped scallions. It's hard to mess this up. Nice flavor!

Lee Kum Kee Sauce For Lemon Chicken, 2.8-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)
Lee Kum Kee Sauce For Lemon Chicken, 2.8-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $14.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty tart; I like it, March 14, 2015
If you taste it out of the pouch it's way tart like a concentrate and I guess that's appropriate, since the small amount in the pouch is meant to flavor a wok or pan full of food. I didn't put a lot of effort (e.g., following the directions) into prepping my lemon chicken but it was tasty and I'll buy this again when I run out.

Lee Kum Kee Sauce For Black Bean Chicken, 1.8-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)
Lee Kum Kee Sauce For Black Bean Chicken, 1.8-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly salty, doesn't add a whole lot of flavor, March 14, 2015
It's okay but just okay. You can find this or that sauce in your typical grocery store that will do as much for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20