Profile for Jeffrey Pittman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 291

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey Pittman "Jeff" RSS Feed (Durham, NC USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Milo's Kitchen Steak Grillers Beef Recipe with Angus Steak Dog Treats, 18-Ounce
Milo's Kitchen Steak Grillers Beef Recipe with Angus Steak Dog Treats, 18-Ounce
Price: $14.71
15 used & new from $14.04

5.0 out of 5 stars No Chinese food, my picky dog likes 'em, that's all I need to know, June 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review is being posted for two other Milo's Kitchen varieties because it applies to them as well.

My vet scolded me a couple of years ago about the sourcing of snacks I was feeding my two dogs. Specifically, she was adamantly opposed to foodstuffs from Asia (and even more specifically, the PRC). She gave me a little education on pet food packaging and I started noticing that "Fred's Pet Food, Main Street, USA" on the package doesn't necessarily tell you where the stuff inside the bag was made.

So I got religion and stopped buying several treats I had been buying routinely, including at least two varieties using the Milo's Kitchen brand if memory serves. Interestingly, these treats from Amazon arrived with stickers affixed to the outside of the bag proclaiming that the contents were made in the US. I guess they're using up their stocks of bags that have already been printed. Anyway, that was enough encouragement to convince me to give them to Pearl and Buford.

Now for the important part. Pearl will eat *anything* so you can't judge whether a dog treat is tasty by observing her. Buford, on the other hand, got bored with Crispy Chicken sandwiches from the dollar menu at Wendy's and just walks away from his bowl when presented with one. He will allow me to feed him a Mickey D's double cheeseburger or a Junior Cheeseburger Deluxe from Wendy's but routinely turns up his nose at stuff that Pearl (or I) would happily devour. And Buford approves of these. As far as I'm concerned, there is no higher recommendation. Buford says five stars and I am not going to argue with him.

Milo's Kitchen Chicken Grillers Recipe Dog Treats, 15-Ounce

Milo's Kitchen Grilled Burger Bites Dog Treats, 15-Ounce
Price: $14.98
6 used & new from $14.98

Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

So I got religion and stopped buying several treats I had been buying routinely, including at least two varieties using the Milo's Kitchen brand if memory serves. Interestingly, these treats arrived from Amazon with stickers affixed to the outside of the bag proclaiming that the contents were made in the US. I guess they're using up their stocks of bags that have already been printed. Anyway, that was enough encouragement to convince me to give them to Pearl and Buford.

Jumbl Multipurpose Gooseneck 7-LED Dimmable Clip Light with Stand - Battery operated, or plugs into USB or outlet - Can be used for BBQ, grill, reading, tabletop/desktop, tasks, computer ect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not usable with timer :-(, May 24, 2014
I bought this primarily for occasional use with an aquarium, and I wanted to turn it on and off with a 24 timer plugged into the wall. If it's on it will turn off when the timer interrupts power to it, but it will not turn on without your intervention (pressing the button). This is not a fault in the product which I like (4 stars) but for that reason I don't love it (the meaning of 5 stars). Other than that, this is a nice piece of work with a nice solid feel to it. The 3-way power flexibility is great. The gooseneck is a terrific feature as is the clamp or stand option. Highly recommend if you don't care about using it with a timer.

Dyson Dyzolv Spot Cleaner, 8.5 Ounces
Dyson Dyzolv Spot Cleaner, 8.5 Ounces
Price: $12.99
16 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed? Improve performance by dumping the wimpy spray container!, May 14, 2014
My problem is 2 big dogs who occasionally eat something iffy and hurl on the carpet, usually in the middle of the night so it has hours to set before I even see it. I tried Dyzolv based on the strong reviews and thought "what is this useless overpriced junk?" It worked OK, but only OK, and I had to spray and spray and spray until my fingers were sore just to get enough solution on the stain to make a pass. And one pass never made it, I had to go back and spray and spray etc. Not a problem solver.

Then I dug out an empty, rinsed out spray bottle that had contained glass cleaner or daily shower cleaner or something and put the Dysolv in it. With the robust spray from that squirt bottle, enough to get the nasty area good and wet, the Dysolv kicks hiney in just one pass. I'm liking it now, a lot.

Downside to this technique: once you dump the contents of the Dysolv bottle into a typical glass cleaner type squirt bottle you realize what a tiny bit of solution you're getting for your $whatever. It's pretty sad looking. I'm guessing the miserly spray metering on the Dysolv bottle is intended to make you think you've got a lot of cleaner in there. But to make this stuff work well and quickly, forget trying to conserve the liquid as the Dysolv bottle forces you to do. Get a good blast of the product onto the stain and you will be happy.

One last minor tidbit: I went to Wally World to get a plain, empty spray bottle to put the Dysolv into. A spray bottle full of glass cleaner was $0.01 cheaper than an empty spray bottle. Crazy? Yup. Don't spend too much for an empty plastic spray bottle.

American Thermal Aquarium Thermometer Horizontal
American Thermal Aquarium Thermometer Horizontal
Offered by Fat Happy Pets
Price: $4.65
13 used & new from $1.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and crazy cheap!, May 13, 2014
Not a lot to say about this...I put it along the bottom edge of my Fluval Spec V (below the substrate) and it tells me what I need to know without being visually obtrusive like a floater. Get one!

Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon, Black
Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon, Black
Price: $79.98
6 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The rave reviews of the Spec V are right, May 13, 2014
This is my first aquarium and I read a lot before choosing it. As recommended for a newbie, I started slow with a single male betta and minimal decor: a piece of driftwood, a small Asian ceramic lantern replica for Eric Feesh to hide in, and a live plant. For those who are concerned about such things, I have not yet been to the post office to acquire a Feesh Licence for Eric Feesh.

Setup is easy and simple. I love the fact that many stick heaters (I found a Fluval branded one on sale) will fit into the space above the tiny pump so you really do have an all-in-one solution here that is very attractive as a piece of decor, not klutzy looking with a bunch of devices stuffed around or behind it. I got a highly rated stick-on thermometer that doesn't intrude visually and located the aquarium on a ledge above my kitchen sink which makes maintenance just too easy.

The amazing thing is the filtration system. I think you could throw a handful of mud in the tank and the water would be clear as glass in five minutes. OK, not really. I set the pump on medium (you choose low, medium or high) when I installed it because everything I was reading said that bettas would be distressed by too much flow. I should have set it to high. Eric often deliberately swims directly toward the pump outlet and battles the current for a while, then struts away (do fish strut?) looking all studly, as if to say "don't mess with ME, Mr. Plastic Pump Outlet Doodad!"

But I may be putting words in his mouth. Anyway, in a tank this size Eric has plenty of space to enjoy the rush of water or relax in calmer areas. Don't sweat the power of the pump in a Spec V.

But I started with filtration, then digressed. It really is amazingly effective. There are lots of YouTube videos on Fluval Specs and if you're considering one I'd encourage you to watch a few. In my case, the first water change + filter cleaning was so painless that I wondered why one would NOT do a filter cleaning as part of a water change. The water change stirs up crud which clouds the water, but this filtration system makes it clear in virtually no time.

This can be a beautiful piece of decor and an easily maintained aquatic habitat if you're a responsible pet owner, or it can be an algae filled ugly death trap if you're a disgustin...well, if you're not a responsible pet owner. But it's not maintenance free. Before you buy this or any aquarium, spend some time on them Interwebs evaluating what you're looking for, how much time you're willing to put into it, who's going to feed Mr. Fishie when you go to the beach for a week, what other items you need to manage an aquarium, all that stuff. There are answers to all of these out there, not hard to find.

All told, this is an excellent beginner aquarium. But this beginner encourages you to spend a lot of time reading and thinking before you buy this or any aquarium. The cost of the fish tank is just the start. If you're interested in all the other stuff I've bought to support Eric Feesh in his Fluval Spec V, leave a comment.

National Geographic Traveler: Berlin, 2nd Edition
National Geographic Traveler: Berlin, 2nd Edition
by Damien Simonis
Price: $17.34
63 used & new from $12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Part history book, part travel book, beautifully done, May 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm extremely late in getting to this review and agree with others' positive opinions about the book. The mix of the old and the new is fascinating. There are short sidebars galore with helpful background and perspective, beautiful illustrations and photographs and very helpful maps - big picture and smaller picture. If you don't have an urge to see parts of Germany, it's likely that you'll get one (an urge) after an afternoon with this.

I must second IndyCopperTop's point about the small font, though. If you occasionally use readers, you'll want to break them out to enjoy this. I can see using this to plan and transcribe a daily itinerary but I'd find it difficult to whip the thing out on a bus and try to figure out the next stop. That's not really a complaint - this is a massive amount of information in a very small package and I wouldn't want to carry a phone book around while touring. Just something to know for some folks.

6-Grounded Outlet In-Wall Adapter with Resettable Circuit Breaker, White 56575
6-Grounded Outlet In-Wall Adapter with Resettable Circuit Breaker, White 56575
Price: $6.47
2 used & new from $6.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my application, lots of room, May 3, 2014
I have a 24-hour timer plugged into the front face of this, which obscures the lower outlet on the front, but I still have two regular power cords and two power bricks (transformers) connected (one of the bricks is plugged into the timer) and there's still an available outlet. Not too shabby. There's room to plug in power bricks on the face and on the sides. Nice job.

1 LARGE 5"x5" Portion of Java Moss (25 Square Inches of Moss!) Live Aquatic Aquarium Plant by InvertObsession

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this is a lot of moss!, May 3, 2014
Arrived in perfect condition and was much more than I expected. I split it into two groups that I planted (weighed down with pebbles) in different sections of my aquarium. It is doing very well but is really too much for my Fluval Spec V (5 gallon). You won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20