Profile for Jeffrey Pittman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 350

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey Pittman "Jeff" RSS Feed (Durham, NC USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
V-LIGHT Full Spectrum Natural Daylight Effect Magnifier Task Lamp with 3-Diopter Glass Lens and Desktop Base (VS40203B)
Price: $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A little on the flimsy side but functional, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is worth considering if you have a fixed workstation where you routinely need this capability. The base is commendably heavy and the lamp generally stays put as you manipulate the lens. If you don't use the weighted base you can use the included clamp instead but my experience with that was frustrating - it had a hard time staying attached to the worktable I had clamped it to.

Out of the box I found that the lens & bulb portion sagged limply even with the little tightening knob twisted as tight as I could with my hand. Not "seemed loose," not "tended to droop," it sagged like a dead fish. I broke out some pretty heavy-duty pliers and gingerly tightened the knob a bit, then a bit more, than a bit more, afraid each time that I was going to break off the plastic knob. I finally got it to stay in place but a not-too-vigorous nudge still makes it sag (although now it's more at the "tends to droop" level).

I found the L-shaped articulated arm to offer a fairly limited range of motion and found myself spending as much time getting myself and my subject in position as I did examining my subject under the glass. Because it has a lid, though, it can serve as a perfectly fine desk lamp with the magnifying capability reserved for occasional use, and that's how I'm using it. My main solution for my weakened eyes is to scatter cheap reading glasses around the house so that any lamp - not just a specially equipped one like this - works for me. This lamp is workable but I'd look at others before making a decision.

Luggage Tags Business Card Holder TUFFTAAG Red Travel ID Bag Tag
Luggage Tags Business Card Holder TUFFTAAG Red Travel ID Bag Tag
Offered by Proudguy
Price: $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricier than plastic ones but has a classy & substantial look/feel, June 30, 2015
If I had to find a fault it would be that the cable is a bit too long for my use (currently a laptop sleeve), but I may swap this onto a suitcase or something and then I'd complain that the cable's too short :-) This is a sturdy piece of work that would stand out nicely on the baggage carousel.

Hookless Litchfield 71-by-74-Inch Fabric Shower Curtain, White
Hookless Litchfield 71-by-74-Inch Fabric Shower Curtain, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought mine in Nov. 2009, still going strong, probably will outlive me :-), June 28, 2015
I had a curved shower curtain rod installed as part of a bathroom remodel in 2009 and bought one of these, which I use inside the tub without a liner. The tub/shower it's installed in is used nearly every day and this curtain still looks like new. Every now and then some mold starts to grow along the bottom of it and I just spray some bleach and water solution on it and it vanishes. Maybe once or twice a year (really, no more than that) I take it down and run it through the washer on warm with a little bleach and then hang it back up - any wrinkles disappear within a day. It's decorative but still very neutral, unobtrusive and quietly elegant looking. I lean toward contemporary but can't imagine a style it would clash with.

I keep this in my Wish List in case I ever need another one; stumbled across it today and thought I should mention what a great product this has been and still is for me.

Grillight 1300813 Stainless Steel LED Grilling Tongs
Grillight 1300813 Stainless Steel LED Grilling Tongs
Price: $24.15
14 used & new from $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This review is for the tongs, not either of the spatulas (spatulae?), June 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Looks like there are three flavors of this device: a regular spatula, a wider spatula (presumably for fish, but you never saw the size of one of my burgers) and a set of tongs. It also looks like Amazon is showing all reviews for this family of utensils for each of them, so pay attention to what you’re reading about.

I’m more of a spatula guy (all about the burgers) but I loves me some sausages as well so I forced myself to grill up some spicy Italian sausages with peppers and onions to check these out. Also threw a couple of ears of corn on the grill since they’re tong-friendly so had a good excuse. Others have mentioned that these have a kind of plain-vanilla, bulky (rustic?) finish to them and that’s fair. I think a lot of that has to do with their length (about 18”) which serves to keep the heat away from your hand and the embedded flashlight. Cleanup was nothing - basically a brushdown with warm water.

They’re easy to handle with a simple gravity-based lock that you operate by squeezing the tongs. If you’re pointing them down at the grill and squeeze, they unlock, spread open and stay open. Point them up at the sky and squeeze again and they lock closed so you can set them aside. Clever - I have another set that I have to use both hands to lock or unlock.

They open plenty wide to grab a huge chunk of meat. When I do pot roast in a slow cooker, my first step is to blacken the outside over high heat on the grill and get a good char all over. These are big and sturdy enough for that.

The flashlight is more useful than I expected. It’s not a pinpoint like a lot of LED flashlights; it has a wide beam and it’s bright enough to illuminate a good-sized area. It uses standard AA batteries and doesn’t care if they’re rechargeables or not. It’s easy to mount/dismount from the tongs and far enough back from the business end that you’d have to work to damage it from heat. It’s also far enough back that I cleaned the tongs after use without bothering to remove it. It would also make for a pretty decent standalone flashlight.

Overall a nice piece of work, better than expected.

Chicago Cutlery Deluxe Shears, Black
Chicago Cutlery Deluxe Shears, Black
Price: $10.70
18 used & new from $8.24

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the kitchen scissors that others try to duplicate., June 21, 2015
I have to write some number of words to meet Amazon's minimum requirement, but there's not a lot I can add to that headline. The only instances I've heard of where these needed replacing was where someone split them into two pieces (as designed), thought they were broken and tossed them. Think how many perfectly good Chicago Cutlery shears are sitting in landfills, each half looking for its other half. It breaks my heart.

Fresh Wave Odor Neutralizing Sachet Pearl Packs, 5 Sachets
Fresh Wave Odor Neutralizing Sachet Pearl Packs, 5 Sachets
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $10.20
17 used & new from $8.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the bagless vac, good for the car, June 21, 2015
I have two good sized dogs so I have to vacuum a lot, and the vac starts to get stinky in a short time. I put one of these in the collection bin and it makes an amazing difference. Note: after each vacuuming session I use a shop-vac to clean the house vac. Not sure how successful these would be without having the dog dust sucked out as the other house vac filters are cleaned, but it only takes a few seconds. About the car: the dogs love to ride and we cruise 4 - 6 days a week. So the car starts to get stinky after a while too. I dropped one of these sachets into a map pocket in a door and it keeps the ride fresh without being overpowering. I'm not a fragrance guy but I'm not into stinky either, and this is a helpful thing to have around.

Gig Grips Drumstick Grips
Gig Grips Drumstick Grips

5.0 out of 5 stars Kind of cheating, but a great concept and great help, June 21, 2015
This review is from: Gig Grips Drumstick Grips
I'm an old dude getting back into drumming just for grins and am having to re-learn everything. These force me to hold the sticks correctly, a big plus, and they keep me from flinging the sticks all over the room, an even bigger plus. I tried sticks that had been dipped in some sticky stuff and they were a complete waste of time. If you're having trouble with stick placement or retention you should absolutely give these a try.

Microsoft Arc Touch Bluetooth Mouse for PC, Microsoft Surface, and Windows Tablets
Price: $49.80
83 used & new from $25.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention to the BT connectivity/power tips in other reviews - it's a fine mouse, June 21, 2015
This is the 3rd iteration of this Arc mouse that I've owned and by far the best yet. The earlier USB-connected ones were OK, but just OK in terms of usability. They were worth the less-than-stellar mouse-ing performance because the form factor is so perfectly portable. This is my first bluetooth one and I was hoping for merely okay usability to match what this replaced (a MSFT Sculpt Comfort BT mouse). The Sculpt was/is adequate but this thing is much more responsive and sensitive than I would have expected from any BT mouse and blows the bulkier Sculpt away. This Arc Touch tracks accurately on pretty much anything and tracks through anything (e.g. layers of plastic). I'm using it on a HP Stream 14 and couldn't be happier with it.

Peltor Sport RangeGuard Earmuff
Peltor Sport RangeGuard Earmuff
Price: $45.16
16 used & new from $34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Struggled between 1 vs. 2 stars - bottom line is that I can't use these, June 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One star means "I hate it," two means "I don't like it." Truth be told, I'm afraid of it and I'm going to peg that between 1 and 2 stars. I wore these to the range today and was so alarmed (fear of ear damage) after firing ~a dozen 9mm rounds that I left the range to go rent some of their plain vanilla house ear cups. Others were on nearby lanes and I was stunned at how loud things were with these things on when I walked in, even with the amplification completely off. After firing for a while with the house rental I tried the Peltors on again, this time reversing the earpieces to see if orientation made a difference. It may have subjectively made a very slight improvement but I still had to leave the range and go back to the house rental after just a few minutes. My ears were ringing and actually hurt - we're not talking the fit; these are perfectly comfortable and very tight. Wearing them frontwards or backwards, with the amplification off or on, I found it not just distracting but painful to be on the range wearing these.

To be fair, I wear eyeglasses and wear oversized clear protectors over my glasses (a range requirement). So there are those items between the cups and my head which could cause some loss of effectiveness, but I've had a similar set of earphones for years with no problems. There were no problems with the generic, no frills, well-used house rentals either. For me, these are just not usable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2015 6:21 AM PDT

WORX WA3216 24-Volt Lead Acid Mower 5.0Ah Battery for Series WG775, WG782, WG783 Mowers
Price: $110.65
3 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement - but keep it dry!, June 16, 2015
I have a Worx cordless mower that I use in my tiny fenced back yard and it is a wonderful thing. Light as a feather, zero maintenance, does a surprisingly good job even when I'm less than timely with my mowings and the grass gets a little thick. I could use it two or three times without recharging. I made the mistake of leaving the mower on a covered porch with the battery installed during a rainstorm. The battery got soaked. Actually, this little box is a container with two batteries and a circuit board and some connective wiring inside and those are the things that got soaked. After they marinated for a week or so I tried to mow the lawn and the battery was dead. Not weak, not in need of a charge, not pining for the fjords, dead. Took it to my local Batteries Plus and the helpful guy opened the container and you could see the corrosion on the circuit board...clearly not a candidate for a rebuild. Bottom line: this is a fine product, just treat it with respect and keep it dry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20