Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 83

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kindle Customer "Garan Grey" RSS Feed (Hollywood, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Life Is Not a Stage: From Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady and Beyond
Life Is Not a Stage: From Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady and Beyond
by Florence Henderson
179 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars More reasons to like someone we already liked., May 30, 2012
In this very honest and candid memoir, Florence gains more and more of your respect even as she recounts situations she is not always proud of. She's not really guilty of anything but being human, and it's her attitude and humility you come away most impressed with. Sometimes she seems a little harder on herself or her projects than necessary (I happen to like Song of Norway and she performs beautifully in it). If you grew up watching her, (and who hasn't?) this is well worth your time.

Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett: The CBS Television Specials
Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett: The CBS Television Specials
Price: $13.94
32 used & new from $9.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic material, good sound quality., May 30, 2012
These albums sound pretty good for their age, the booklet and tray liner contain the original covers to both as well. The only caveat here is they were badly engineered - the track breaks as originally recorded do not match the random track breaks on this release. In other words, tracks begin after the intro or material began, or end before the fadeout. Whoever authored the track breaks just did a plain lazy job. If you play each disc straight through you'll be fine, but forget seeking individual songs or shuffle play as it will always interrupt something before its time. Of course the content from these two talented ladies is well worth having, but it does make one wish for the video.

Vicki!: The True-Life Adventures of Miss Fireball
Vicki!: The True-Life Adventures of Miss Fireball
by Marc Eliot
88 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, satisfying memoir from a likable talented gal., May 30, 2012
This is an easy breezy stroll down memory lane with a woman we watched grow more mature and talented every year from her debut on the Carol Burnett Show. It wasn't always easy, but who has a career or life without challenges? Reading this is like catching up with an old friend. Rrecommended.

Our Movie Houses: A History of Film & Cinematic Innovation in Central New York (Television and Popular Culture)
by David Marc
Price: $21.29
54 used & new from $13.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, Disappointing., May 30, 2012
After waiting a long time for what sounded like a promising book, for which many photos were made available, I was shocked to see that it came out as mostly fluff. There is nothing substantial here. This book is padded by a third with irrelevant listings, it has very few photos, not much detail and a few inaccuracies.

The Cradle Will Rock: Original 1985 Cast Recording
The Cradle Will Rock: Original 1985 Cast Recording
Price: $15.99
28 used & new from $9.89

5.0 out of 5 stars There are TWO different versions! 1 disc and 2 disc..., April 26, 2012
I won't go into how much I like the product, but you should know that even though the product description and cover image refers to two discs, (the show is all on one and only John Houseman's intro on the other) you may get a version that does not have the Intro disc. The product number appears to be the same, so when you buy, especially from a merchant, just ask them in advance if they are selling a one or two disc version. Some may not even care about the intro disc. As for me, it was part of the description for the item I thought I was buying, so I don't think the single disc version should cost the same as the 2 disc set.

Sweet Liberty
Sweet Liberty
DVD ~ Alan Alda
Price: $9.49
49 used & new from $3.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, Lousy DVD, Cropped for old Square TVs., March 6, 2012
This review is from: Sweet Liberty (DVD)
Universal took a widescreen movie, and instead of presenting it as originally made, chopped off the sides for square old TVs, so if you have one of today's widescreen TVs, you're outta luck.

This disc was produced after the practice of anamorphic widescreen on DVD became common. DVDs have the capacity to put BOTH the original aspect ratio AND the cheesy cropped for old TV version on one disc, but they were just too lazy or cheap to do it. No extras, not even a menu or a trailer!

This movie is currently running in HD widescreen on cable, I suggest you DVR that and don't waste your money on this cheap compromised disc.

If Universal produces a good Blu Ray at the original aspect ratio, or even an MOD DVD in the correct width, I would buy that, Because this movie is a favorite, but now that I have a widescreen TV I find the old pan/scan square versions (like this one) unwatchable.

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey
Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey
DVD ~ Kevin Clash
Price: $14.67
20 used & new from $0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Look Into Muppet World and See Why We Love Them!, February 25, 2012
The journey of an exceptionally creative man, Kevin Clash, following his passion into a special world that influences the real world every day. People who look just like your friends and neighbors, go unnoticed in public, but put some fuzzy fabric in their hands and they can unite all walks of life in laughter and sweetness and song. Now that's a gift. Kevin is much more than just Elmo, he is also the voice of Baby Sinclair from Dinosaurs ("Not-Da-Mama!" "Gotta Love Me") and was involved with the Muppets even before we lost Jim Henson. If you have ever laughed with the Muppets, you must see this. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll never look at fleece or a fuzzy coat lining the same way again! Can't recommend this highly enough.

Waiting for Guffman
Waiting for Guffman
DVD ~ Lewis Arquette
Offered by media-smith
Price: $11.59
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars To "Get it" is to LOVE it., February 24, 2012
This review is from: Waiting for Guffman (DVD)
I suppose there are some movies that may not quite reach some people, but to those who "get" them, they LOVE them. I definitely get this one, I think the movie is Brilliant and all too short. I could sum this up as Spinal Tap does community theatre.

There is so much going on here that really isn't commented on that can make me laugh out loud every time I see it.

First time I heard of this movie, people were talking about how funny it was that the central character Corky had a wife no one ever sees, when it is extremely clear to anyone that he sits on the other side of the fence, and yet no one ever mentions it.

Also unspoken is the extreme crush Michael Hitchcock's Steve Stark character has on Corky, and the one Corky has for Johnny, the kid he picks up in the auto shop. The travel agent couple who think they are so worldly, when they are about as deludedly small-town as one can get, her maybe bipolar. Catherine O'Hara deserves much credit for her broad range of talent.

Expressions like "bastard people" and "ass face" will stick with you, as much as "My Dinner With Andre" action figures, and a Remains Of The Day lunch box. The show scenes - watching good actors do bad acting on purpose - are actually very entertaining, not nearly enough of them in the movie, but thankfully some gems in the deleted scenes. I really think he cut too much. In fact I want to go on record asking for an "extended edition" with as many of the cut scenes as possible put back in. Seamless branching could preserve the original cut with an alternate play option.

The commentary is very dry, Guest is deadpan and Levy follows suit. As they warm up they make each other chuckle a bit. It would be nice to hear from others in the cast, and the other songwriters as well, especially as most of the songs were written with Guest's Spinal Tap co-stars, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer. This is a title that screams for a special edition for Blu Ray, with some new interviews.

Guest mentions near the end of the commentary that there was talk of actually performing the entire show Red, White and Blaine (the only non-improvised part of the movie) live in a theatre for a week. They later did that with A Mighty Wind, and sold out one-nighters in large venues in LA and NY. I am convinced if they announced something similar for Guffman in those same cities, they would sell out in hours.

If you have ever been involved in theatre, amateur or professional, ever lived in a small town, ever dreamed beyond your reach, and if you have a sense of humor... this movie is an absolute hoot. The cast across the board are spot-on. Even the music is fun. I find this by far the most entertaining of Guest's movies. Very highly recommended.

Old Cinemas (Shire Library)
Old Cinemas (Shire Library)
by Allen Eyles
32 used & new from $1.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a little booklet priced like a book, December 8, 2011
I've just paid over ten dollars for a pamphlet. Not as pictured, what you get is barely bigger than the booklet they used to put into DVDs. Amazon charges its standard 3.99 for shipping even though this thing is so light it ships first class for about a dollar. Only 32 doublesided pages means this thing can be read cover to cover in about 10 minutes. Each chapter like two or three pages, Not very well written. 54 small B&W photos. Beware.

Kodak ESP 7250 All-in-One Printer
Kodak ESP 7250 All-in-One Printer
4 used & new from $123.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Yep, it's a lemon., November 17, 2011
This one failed completely in less than 24 hours. Update 11/21/11: Kodak's customer service and tech support appears to be completely outsourced to a country where English is not the native language. They may very well be nice and worthy people and I wish them well, but this is business, and it is a constant problem trying to filter communication through heavy accents and cloudy comprehension. In other words, they do not appear to understand me any better than I understand them. Worse, in fact.

Right out of the box, trouble setting it up.

The manual on the disc is not clear about whether or not you should install the software before setting up the computer. The call to their overseas tech took an awfully long time just to get the thing to connect with the computer. Nothing worked, and I had to wait at least a couple hours more for another heavily accented "supervisor" to call back.

Hours and hours on the phone with tech people who kept aggressively wanting me to let them access my computer remotely, which I had to refuse numerous times.

After downloading many times, I'm still not sure if the software was ever updated to the current version, because there were many error messages that the tech guy told me to ignore. Now if you have been reading the other reviews, that statement alone sends up a red flag. They tell you to ignore the error messages. I'm still not sure if it ever got the software upgrade even after numerous tries.

This printer moves its own internal parts when you're not near it or trying to print anything, it will still occasionally clank around... yet when it tells you to check the print carriage, you can't because it won't come out from under the housing.

Finally we got the thing connected and printed a couple of sample documents. Not very impressive. It took hours just to get the software updated, then another problem...

It kept saying "printer carriage error" when there was nothing whatsoever obstructing its path. I don't think it ever got the firmware upgrade, because by the time that was mentioned the unit had already tanked and was useless. All in the first 24 hours from when it arrived.

Kodak's offshore tech support said they would ship another one out but then they expect me to carry the old one to UPS to send it back. It's really too heavy for that.

Previous printer was a 6 year old HP that is built like a tank but kept having errors asking to remove and/or replace cartridges. You would think the technology has improved in the past 6 years, but not in this unit.

What's really frustrating is this is pretty much the same problem that made me replace the old HP printer - it kept finding faults with itself that didn't exist. Again you would think the technology would have improved in the past six years.

When it does print, this one is only so-so quality. Not sharp, no vibrant colors, it wastes a lot of ink printing a full test page of all the colors when HP's test page only printed about a quarter as much.

Obviously there is a reason this model has been marked down so much. Kodak should have just recalled it altogether.

As for Kodak's cheaper ink cartridges, I bet it's because they don't have their own print heads like HP's do, and that's probably why this model's print heads reportedly wear out so often.

Before you repeat my mistake and buy this because of the promised features vs. the lower price, keep in mind the amount of time you'll waste and the frustration over it not really working up to expectations and it's really no bargain at all.

I left the unit alone and returned to normal life for a day or so before doing some more research. The consensus with online reviewers is Kodak's printers cost more up front but are cheaper to run, and there may or may not be drawbacks with the print quality.

Knowing I won't be printing a lot of pictures, and wanting the cheaper replacement cartridge option, I decided to give Kodak another chance. The newest model line is called Hero, and the closest to this unit is Hero 7.1. It's been reviewed rather favorably but it is only a couple months old. It costs at best twice as much as I paid for this model but seems more promising so I have ordered that.

Today after UPS showed up with the replacement for this model, I refused and returned it. Kodak sent me an email stating that the replacement was on the way and my "card was charged."

Just to clarify and update them on the situation I called the number in the email, where I was again led through a labyrinth of voice menus that ended up overseas with another heavily accented tech support agent.

I clearly explained that I had returned the unit unopened. She asked what I was using now. I told her the original unit had failed and while waiting for a return tag from Amazon for it, I had ordered the new model that hasn't arrived yet. No matter how many times I explained it she didn't understand.

I asked her if Kodak had any call centers in the United States. The answer was no. That makes me seriously question whether I want to continue to buy their products. I don't want to have to go through this mess of misunderstanding every time I need to call them.

I should mention there have been some particularly helpful Amazon agents who helped me through this - but because Amazon too outsources their customer service overseas, it took several tries each time to get an agent in the US, which is still key to getting better results.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9