Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Matthew T. Weflen > Reviews

Browse

Matthew T. Weflen's Profile

Customer Reviews: 254

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matthew T. Weflen "Matthew Weflen" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Stanley Men's Ramble 5.5 Inch Soft Toe Hiking Boot, Brown, 10.5 M US
Stanley Men's Ramble 5.5 Inch Soft Toe Hiking Boot, Brown, 10.5 M US
Price: $90.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably more "work boot" than hiking boot, February 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These boots have a lot to recommend them. They fit as expected. The laces are slippery enough to pass through their eyes easily, but grippy enough to stay tied. They are certainly sturdy - I would not hesitate to recommend these for a workplace that required some protection (with the caveat that they are not steel-toed).

For long term walking, though? I don't know. I found them rather stiff in the ankle and very clompy (to use the precise term) when moving. I wore these about town and used them for taking out the garbage and recycling, which involved going up and down stairs several times.

So while I think these are a quality product that will remain durable and provide good foot protection, they wouldn't be my first choice for hiking or climbing, which is the advertised use case. I'd want something that provided for a bit more agility and less stomping around.

DII Home 60 by 60" Essentials Ultra Plush Travel Stadium Blanket, Small, Gray
DII Home 60 by 60" Essentials Ultra Plush Travel Stadium Blanket, Small, Gray
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit small, very soft and cozy, February 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So this blanket is 5 feet by 5 feet. This means it is pretty good for a lap, but perhaps a bit problematic for laying down. My use case is on the couch cuddling with the wife watching a tv show. It's just a teeny bit short to reach around my feet and up to my chin.

That said, the feel of it is very soft "fleece." The texture is very pleasant on the face, for instance. It is quite warm. There is a bit of stretch to it.

I think, for the cost, it's not quite enough blanket. I think it should be 6 by 6 feet both for ease of use and for value. But all in all, it's a nice throw. We might use it as a stroller blanket for our kids, it's certainly warm enough when doubled up to stand up to some wind.

Honor 5X Metal Body Unlocked Smartphone - Silver 16GB (U.S. Warranty)
Honor 5X Metal Body Unlocked Smartphone - Silver 16GB (U.S. Warranty)
Price: $199.99
3 used & new from $189.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High-end features at mid-range prices, January 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So, a little about my phone history. I currently use a Nokia Lumia 1020, which runs Windows Phone 8.1. It has a 41 megapixel camera and a 4.7" 720p OLED display. My wife currently uses an iPhone 6 and likes it quite a bit. She previously used a Samsung Galaxy S4 and was not a big fan, primarily due to bloatware and unreliable camera performance. I use a Sony Xperia Z android tablet with some regularity, while my wife has a Amazon Kindle Fire tablet for reading and browsing. All of this should suffice to say I've been around the block with respect to phones and operating systems.

So, the Huawei Honor 5X. This phone's internals include 2gb of RAM, 16gb of internal storage (expandable with 128gb SD card), a 4-core Snapdragon 615 CPU, a 5.5" 1080p IPS LCD screen, a 13 megapixel camera with a dual-LED flash, a rear fingerprint sensor, and runs Android 5.1.1 Lollipop out of the box.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this phone for the price. Here is my breakdown.

DISPLAY

The 5.5" IPS LCD display is every bit the equal of the iPhone. It is quite sharp and seemed to give every bit of the detail of 1080p, with good solid black levels (not quite to the depth of OLED) and good daylight visibility. I was especially pleased with the oleophobic coating that seems to have been applied at the factory (as a sticker). This made the touchscreen a joy to use and I almost never had to wipe it off. Bringing the phone to the ear did leave some smudges, but not as bad as some phones. The display is set by default to auto-dim in response to the environment, and I found this performance to be mostly good, perhaps just a bit slow on the uptake for brightening back up. My only real complaint is that, perhaps due to the combination of screen size (rather large) and thin side bezels, I had unwanted touch inputs from the side of my palm more than I would have liked. It only happened a few times, but it took me out of what I was doing once or twice.

AUDIO

The main speaker is on the bottom end of the phone. It did get appreciably loud, but became distorted above about 80% of max volume. Perfectly sufficient for some casual Netflix watching, but if you listen to music you will want to use a nice set of earbuds or headphones (not included).

PERFORMANCE

I was really pleased by the performance of Android Lollipop on this phone, which has "mid-range" internals. I never felt any lags or stutters, except perhaps when receiving a notification. The main apps I tested were Netflix, Threes, Dots, Facebook, MSN News, Wikipedia, the Google Play Store, and Amazon's "Underground" (?) store. Now, these are not incredibly demanding apps to be sure, but each was buttery smooth. They all loaded very snappily (the slowest being Threes), scrolling was completely smooth, and switching between apps was instantaneous. There was no problem with memory management - there always seemed to be about 1gb of RAM free at any given time. The chassis did get rather warm while playing Threes, but not really anything above "slight" for all the other apps tested.

CAMERA

The Honor 5X possesses what I would term an average smartphone camera for 2016. Yes, I am spoiled by the Lumia 1020, which still wins most internet shootouts despite being a 2013 phone. The Honor 5X runs Android's stock camera interface and has no dedicated shutter button (something I miss coming from a Lumia). Detail is good but not great, and zooming is hard-limited to about 2X. The flash performance is typical for an LED - a bit too bright close-up, not sufficient for far shots. It should only be used in a pinch. In daylight shots, the Honor 5X turns in a performance that is about the equal of the iPhone, to my eyes. It's not going to fool anyone into thinking it was taken with a DSLR (like the Lumia 1020 sometimes can), but you won't embarrass yourself on social media, either.

I have included two snaps - the first is the Honor 5X, indoors, with flash. Notice how blown out the LED flash makes the clock's glass, the contrast on the speaker grille, and the wood grain. The second pic is from my Lumia 1020 with Xenon flash. Detail, contrast, and color are all superior to my eye, especially in the above-mentioned areas. But with this said, I think this is a pretty average performance in today's market, and it's certainly competent for sharing.

BUILD QUALITY

You will be forgiven for thinking this phone is a clone of the HTC One line of phones from the rear. It is virtually identical. The aluminum chassis is pleasant to the touch and has all the requisite openings for antenna pass-through. The speaker holes on the bottom are symmetrical a la the iPhone 6. I did find the use of a serial number sticker on the back in between the camera and the fingerprint sensor to be a bit ugly. The body does not creak or bend with normal use or pressure. There are two SIM slots on the side that open with your typical SIM key.

Speaking of the fingerprint sensor, it does the job, and will turn the phone on within about half a second. I will say though that it failed to read on the first try about 10-20% of the time. This is not as good as the iPhone's iteration of the fingerprint sensor. Battery life seems quite good. The 3000 mAh battery is more than enough to power the mid-range internals for an entire day, probably a day and a half of moderate use. The Micro-USB port at the bottom (sorry, no USB-C) is quite clicky and firm. Speaking of clicky and firm, the volume rocker and power button are definitely these.

CONCLUSION

All in all, this is a pretty solid Android phone for 2016, that ticks a lot of boxes and does them all pretty well. Every feature of this phone is at or above the mean for today's market. I would have given it 4 stars, except for one huge factor - the price. At under 200 smackers, this is a whale of a deal. You're getting almost all of the performance of one of Samsung's higher end wallet-busters, but without the bloatware or the red-hot Snapdragon 810 internals, that eat battery like nobody's business. This phone competes very favorably with Motorola's popular Moto G line, which really sort of created this price segment. Huawei is making an aggressive play for the mid-range by including a few standout features like 1080p and fingerprint sensing.

I would not hesitate to recommend this phone to anyone shopping in this price range for an android phone, and I would even suggest a good long look at it for people who usually aim for the higher-end. If and when my Lumia 1020 goes the way of the dodo, I would not have any problem switching up, though I would miss a higher-end camera.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2016 9:23 PM PST

Optima Collection Silver Level Complete Bath Set, includes 2 Bath Towels, 2 Hand Towels, and 6 Washcloths, 100% Eco-Friendly Pre-Consumer Regenerated Cotton
Price: $19.41

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not feeling the "plush" others have mentioned, January 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I"m more swayed by the ecological arguments for these towels than the way they feel. They remind me of hotel towels - they're white, not particularly soft, but good and absorbent. Perhaps we didn't wash them in the way that they would become soft ad "plush" as some other reviewers have described (we wash on cold with no fabric softener). But they're perfectly adequate towels, at a quite reasonable price, and if the manufacturewr's claims can be believed, significantly reduce carbon and water impact on the environment than buying new, non-reclaimed towels.

Bai Cocofusions Puna Coconut Pineapple, 5 Calories, No Artificial Sweeteners, 1g Sugar, Antioxidant Infused Beverage, 18 oz. (Pack of 12)
Price: $23.88
2 used & new from $23.88

2.0 out of 5 stars No pineapple flavor (or ingredients), unpleasant aftertaste, January 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I did not enjoy this beverage. I drank it chilled straight from the bottle, then mixed with some orange juice in an unsuccessful attempt to render it palatable.

My biggest beef is the lack of pineapple flavor. It pretty clearly both says and depicts a pineapple on the label. There is no pineapple flavor. Pineapple is not on the ingredient list.

My second biggest beef is the flavor of the sweetener. Stevia can taste good, and it can taste bad (mainly the aftertaste). Here, sadly, it tasted bad and has a significant aftertaste. Hey, you know what would have helped this aftertaste, come to think of it? Pineapple.

I would not buy this again, I would not drink this if it was given to me for free, and I will be looking to donate the rest of this box to some unfortunate soul out there, or rather to a fortunate soul with drastically different tastes than mine.

Fruit of the Loom Men's 5-Pack No Ride Up Boxer Brief, Black/Gray,Small
Fruit of the Loom Men's 5-Pack No Ride Up Boxer Brief, Black/Gray,Small
Offered by Russell Athletic
Price: $18.99
4 used & new from $12.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Run a little small, but good boxer briefs all told, January 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So these undies claim to not ride up the leg. Well, I can confirm that they do a better job in this regard than some brands (e.g. Old Navy), but I wouldn't say they do better than other "major brands" such as Hanes.

They run a bit more toward the 28 end of the 28-30 range. I wear a 30 jean, and these were a tad tight. Thankfully, they break in pretty well, and I forgot about these underwear within an hour or so.

The cloth is midway between rough and soft. There is no tag in the back.

Vega Sport Performance Protein Powder, Mocha, 28.6oz
Vega Sport Performance Protein Powder, Mocha, 28.6oz
Price: $43.99
2 used & new from $43.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Chalky mouth feel, good nutritional content, December 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As far as nutritional content goes, there is nothing to criticize here. 1 scoop has thirty grams of protein, which is the same as a good sized salmon or chicken fillet. I think sodium is a bit high at 370mg (15% of RDA). The ingredients are all natural vegan proteins, which is admirable.

My criticism is of taste - although it is chocolatey, there is a certain chalkiness to it that sticks in the mouth afterward. If you're thinking this is going to be a yummy milkshake, you're in for some disappointment.This is sweetened with Stevia, as well. So on the plus side, it's not overloaded with sugars. On the minus, if you don't like the flavor of Stevia, you probably won't like this.

For some reason, this says to mix only with water, not with milk. Milk would probably ameliorate many of the flavor deficiencies present here, though it would make the final drink non-vegan, if that's important to you..

Classic Accessories 55-553-010401-00 Round Fire Pit Cover, 36", Black
Classic Accessories 55-553-010401-00 Round Fire Pit Cover, 36", Black
Price: $22.00
5 used & new from $18.70

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish this had an adjustable cinch on the elastic, December 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is suited to a large fire pit or grill up to about 3 feet wide. I was hoping it would be adjustable down to a grill of about 1.5 feet, but was somewhat disappointed on this score. The bottom of the cover has an elastic band, but it does not have one of the little button cinch thingies that can keep it as tight as you wish. Still, it sits reasonably well on my smaller grill and the elastic band does keep it relatively closed. The material is a nice black plastic "cloth" with vinyl on the interior.

I'm not going to dock it too far for the use I tried to put it to. But I think a button cinch on the strap would be useful even for fire pits, so I feel comfortable deducting a star.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Big pills that need a drink to be taken with, jury out on effectiveness, December 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Iam not qualified to engage in double-blind testing of Glucosamine against placebos with respect to joint health. A cursory glance at some search results shows that some tests indicate it has effect in reducing pain from osteoarthritis. Chondroitin has not been show to have any effect, but is the current hip thing (heh heh) in joint supplements.

As pills go, these are rather large, on a par with a big vitamin. They are white and smooth, but not gelled. As such, you will definitely need a drink to take these pills.

I noted no side effects, indigestion, or anything else of the sort.

Corel PaintShop Pro X8 Ultimate
Corel PaintShop Pro X8 Ultimate
Price: $57.29
36 used & new from $45.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice alternative to Photoshop, runs light, but it has a learning curve, December 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Paint Shop Pro X8 is a nice, inexpensive alternative to Photoshop. It allows editing of practically all file formats, including JPEG and RAW files. This is really nice for my Lumia 1020 camera phone, which can shoot either way. Large files (I can shoot up to 38 megapixels) are loaded in a breeze, and the program doesn't seem to strain my core i3 laptop terribly, whether in loading or saving files. Whichever edition you get (physical or download) you can download the files from Corel, which is really nice and convenient.

As far as the editing itself, things seem pretty doable. I wish there were some onboard tutorials, but I was able to figure out essential features like the clone brush without too much trial and error. I was able to paint out a photo-bomber with quite nice results (like, it's only noticeable in the pixels at more than 4x magnification), and I'm sure I will be able to do even better with practice.

The results were pretty good, and the saving process for JPEG didn't seem to lose or alter any information, which is a nice plus.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20