Profile for Brian Daw > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian Daw RSS Feed (Illinois, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SAS Safety 6108 Digital Earmuff Hearing Protection with AM/FM Radio and MP-3 Ready
Price: $40.09
20 used & new from $34.53

2.0 out of 5 stars poor sound quality, easily loses memory, May 10, 2013
I purchased a pair of these last year locally to use while mowing and operating machinery. The sound quality is poor through both the radio and the mp3 jack, and the reception is mediocre. The low fidelity makes it unpleasant to listen to music and difficult to follow a ballgame while operating an average lawnmower. In addition, the headset often loses all presets while removing it. I have since gone back to using my Jabra CLIPPER Bluetooth Stereo Headset which has limited sound isolation on it's own and has small enough earbuds to fit well under a passive set of earmuffs for great combined protection from external noise.

Carbon Fiber Training Gear Set: BMCX/MSR
Carbon Fiber Training Gear Set: BMCX/MSR
Offered by MyQuickmart
Price: $5.69
16 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, flawed construction, September 12, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This training gear is a good idea, however the construction is so poor it renders it pretty much unusable. The central hub is so weak that it cannot sustain a substantial crash. The rods are durable carbon fiber, while the hub is plastic. Why this was not designed with two rods and no hub or a more substantial hub is beyond me. Definitely not up to usual Blade quality.

Tony Hawk: Shred Bundle
Tony Hawk: Shred Bundle
Offered by Games America
Price: $39.68
40 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 simple solutions, December 1, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is a great game, our entire family enjoys it. The skateboard controller makes it quite interactive.

There are two problems with the controller, both solvable:

1) As others have noted, the batteries which come with the game are weak, and need to be replaced with fresh ones before calibrating the board.

2) The board stays on and runs the batteries down. The solution is to unplug the dongle from the Wii console after playing the game. While clunky, this at least preserves the battery. I don't seem to have to turn the console all the way off as stated by Activision. I located this solution on the Activision website and thought I would repost if for others here:

"The board takes 15 minutes of inactivity to go into sleep mode. If the console is in standby mode then the board will not turn off as it will still be synced to the console. Please make sure that you completely turn off the console and remove the wireless dongle to insure that the board turns off. Do not move the board or press any buttons on the board while waiting for it to turn off."

SpokeGrenade SG-1000e Bicycle Headlight Set
SpokeGrenade SG-1000e Bicycle Headlight Set

5.0 out of 5 stars very bright light, very good deal., October 17, 2011
Normally I would wait longer before writing a review, but seeing that there was only one review, I wanted to put my initial impressions of this light up so there would be additional opinions available. This light is incredibly bright for the price. Previously I have used cateye alkaline lights, always refraining from purchasing a rechargeable light because of the cost. When I saw this light at $89, I decided to try it out. I was also influenced by nearly dumping my bike on a recent night ride because I couldn't see gravel on the road with my old light) After several rides around town this week, I tried it on a night ride in the country where there would not be other ambient light. Suffice it to say, the light is great. I was quite comfortable at speeds ranging up to 25mph. (I didn't feel limited by the light, just my ability.) I have a vintage motorcycle that has less light output than this headlight.

Things I noticed about the light:

1) I was skeptical of the o-ring attachment, but it seems heavy duty and holds the light well. I was initially concerned because the light shifted on bumps a couple of times, but once I moved it back and forth to equalize the tension on the o ring, it stayed in place quite well.

2) The cord seems long enough to attach the battery anywhere on the bike, but I just mounted it on the top tube and wrapped the excess under the velcro.

3) Battery charge so far seems quite good. Several short commutes during the week and an hour ride, and it is still on green indicating at least a 75% charge remains.

4) The light has a nice even output. Other bike lights I have used have had a bright dot in the middle, and weak output elsewhere.

As I said, I only recently purchased the light, I will update this review after I use it for a longer period of time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 10:23 AM PDT

Park Tool Chain Wear Indicator CC-3.2
Park Tool Chain Wear Indicator CC-3.2
Offered by Dave 'n' Mark's
Price: $10.71
12 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, that's easy, July 26, 2011
This is a go or no go gauge for determining chain wear. The same thing can be done with a ruler and measuring for stretch over a 12" section of chain, but this tool is so much quicker, simpler, and cleaner that it is a no brainer for $10 and change!

Samsung 3.5 mm Premium Stereo Headset Bulk Packaging - Black
Samsung 3.5 mm Premium Stereo Headset Bulk Packaging - Black
Offered by Brown Box Bonanza
Price: $7.55
8 used & new from $6.67

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money, a great pair of headphones, June 10, 2011
These headphones work quite well for the money. Do they sound like an $80 pair of headphones? No, but for an inexpensive pair to use mowing and working out they are great. They have three earpiece sizes to get a good fit, they block quite a bit of outside noise, they are small enough to fit under a pair of earmuffs, and they are much more comfortable than the earbuds that came with my phone. For under $5, it's pretty hard to go wrong with these.

Sea Kayaking Illustrated : A Visual Guide to Better Paddling
Sea Kayaking Illustrated : A Visual Guide to Better Paddling
by John Robison
Price: $10.75
104 used & new from $1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars informative and funny, May 18, 2011
This book has great information and is funny and enjoyable to read. The author's pictures are often more descriptive than the photos in other books. I often shy away from books that are illustrated rather than photographed, but in this case, I'm glad I went ahead and purchased this one. I wish it had been the first kayaking book I purchased, as I probably wouldn't have bought the others.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2011 7:30 AM PDT

Veho VCC-A002-WPC MUVI Waterproof Case for MUVI and MUVI Pro Micro Camcorders
Veho VCC-A002-WPC MUVI Waterproof Case for MUVI and MUVI Pro Micro Camcorders
Price: $15.99
46 used & new from $11.90

3.0 out of 5 stars It makes a difference where you order it, apparently...., May 4, 2011
First,I ordered one of these from whoever had the lowest price on Amazon. It arrived broken, as several others have noted, and I returned it without a problem. After reading all of the other reviews on these, I ordered from Willoughby's, and I would like to report that just as a couple of other reviews have stated, it appears to be newer stock, and with an improved latch that so far has functioned perfectly. So, apparently the important thing with this item is not finding the lowest price, but finding who has current upgraded stock.

AmazonBasics IEEE 1394 4-Pin to 6-Pin FireWire Cable - 6 feet (1.8 Meters)
AmazonBasics IEEE 1394 4-Pin to 6-Pin FireWire Cable - 6 feet (1.8 Meters)
Price: $5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics cables are a good deal., April 20, 2011
This is probably the fifth or sixth Amazon basics cable I have purchased over the last year. They are much less expensive than brand name cables and I have never had an issue with any of them. They seem to be durable, and have gold plated connectors to prevent corrosion. It's also nice that they come in a cardboard box that doesn't take fifteen minutes to open.

Shower Valve - 8"
Shower Valve - 8"

5.0 out of 5 stars Exact replacement for a hard to find part, April 16, 2011
This review is from: Shower Valve - 8" (Misc.)
This part was a perfect fit for a difficult to find shower part for a rental property, and was a real time saver over having to adapt something else to fit. Quality of the part is fine in relationship to the price. The company shipped it promptly as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3