Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for J. Bickford > Reviews

Browse

J. Bickford's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Bickford "jcb2354" RSS Feed (Los Angeles)

Motorola 2247-N8 Wireless DSL Modem
Motorola 2247-N8 Wireless DSL Modem
Offered by Packer Picker
Price: $44.99
22 used & new from $14.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, March 6, 2013
I purchased this modem because it was the only one available at the store. Set up was easy and clear, but it kept dropping my connection and needing to relinked to my provider. Called support and they blamed my provider. Now it is to the point where I have to manually reset the entire modem just to be able to connect into it, this has nothing to do with my provider, the modem is a piece of junk. I must reset to factory setup and reset up the entire modem on a weekly basis. Time to trash this and buy something that works.

What the Gospels Meant
What the Gospels Meant
by Garry Wills
176 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, good ideas, relies on "could have been" too much, November 30, 2008
This review is from: What the Gospels Meant (Hardcover)
This is the first book by Wills that I have read and it seems from other reviews that this might be better if it had followed some of his other books.

Overall I found the book to have some interesting ideas and was very easy to read in format and flow. Wills takes each gospel one at a time, covers the basic topics of each and shows what each means when seen by a different audience. He is well organized, logical in his layout and keeps the structure easy to follow. His ideas add a unique interpretation to each of the narratives based on the context of each audience.
Two points that I which would have been covered:
1. How did he come up with each of the audiences?
I saw no real historical data to show that these groups existed. It could be that they are well known to his circle and I am expected to understand this, but references for those of us who are not familiar would have been helpful. Without that knowledge it becomes an 'if' it was written for these people 'then' this is how it would be seen.

2. I was disappointed in the fact that he seemed to gloss over the sermon on the mount.
Here is what is considered some of the world's greatest writings and I was expecting much more insight. A tribute to his writing is that after reading his background for the gospel audience I was seeing unique ways to view many of the stories and was reading on to see if he agreed with my ideas.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2008 4:47 PM PST

Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
by Richard Foster
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I am with you, will you be with me?, October 26, 2008
Foster condenses the whole of the Bible into the above simple phrase, and with the simple stroke of a pen it comes clear. God is with us! From beginning to end God is with us! Do we desire to be with him? Anyone who has read Foster before knows the gentle and almost poetic nature of his writing. He is not negative or judgmental but always calling us to a way of life that is with God.
In this work Foster gives us the vision of what vision of what a life immersed in the scriptures can bring to us, the intention of our hearts, minds and community to do our part, and the means to begin the process.
People who have read any of Foster's previous works will see a common theme running through them - discipline, and this book is no exception. It does a fine job of reviewing the highlights of his past work and clarifying the spiritual disciplines again to ward us away from both `legalism' and `cheap grace' and guide us toward a life where we do what we can do and allow God to do what we cannot do.

Renovation of the Heart: Putting On the Character of Christ (Designed for Influence)
by Dallas Willard
Price: $20.32
213 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, consise, makes sense., February 3, 2003
This book explains, in easy to understand terms, the process and pitfalls that we face in our journey to become like Christ. Why, for example, working to "think" holy, or forcing ourselves to "act" holy just don't work by themselves for many believers. We must find those broken parts and work them into the equation also. I find this book along with "Spirit of the Disciplines" and Foster's "Celebration of Discipline" to be some of the most important books written in the end of this century.
This book will not appeal to anyone who does not think (want to admit) that the effects of the world in a persons past have any effect on their present walk. If you are of the opinion that Christ instantly transforms you to sinlessness on acceptance, and don't want to read other points of view, find another author.