Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for MJB > Reviews

Browse

MJB's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MJB "mjb" RSS Feed (Austin, Texas)

Page: 1 | 2
Royal Auto Shop & Car Wash Towels - 36 Pack - 100% Pure White Cotton - 14 x 17 Commercial Grade and Absorbent - Can be Used for Drying, Home Cleaning, or Bathroom Wash Cloths
Offered by Equinox Int
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great household towels!!, March 23, 2016
These are excellent household towels. Very sturdy, great size and will probably last for years. We bought these because the towels we previously bought about 8-10 years ago at target are starting to wear thin. These Royal Auto Shop towels look even sturdier than the Target towels. Great bargain and wonderful product.

The Miniaturist: A Novel
The Miniaturist: A Novel
by Jessie Burton
Price: $10.11
150 used & new from $1.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Daphne DuMaurier novel, November 7, 2015
This is a great story. I was expecting not to be able to read it,thinking it was historical fiction (set in late 1600's Amsterdam) and that it wouldn't suck me in. WRONG I was totally mesmerized by the main character in the first chapter. I had to see what happened to her next. This book reminded me of Daphne DuMaurier's 'Rebecca'

Nella, only 18, and because of her family's financial circumstances comes to Amsterdam with only her pet parakeet as the new bride of a wealthy and influential merchant. From the moment of her arrival she finds mysteries and strangeness in her new home. Her new sister in law is somewhat domineering and mysterious, making Nella feel very unworldly and inexperienced. Always traveling and never around, the husband sends his wife a wedding gift, a replica of their house but cabinet size. Nella hires a miniaturist to furnish the small home who creates realistic lifelike replicas that seem to give hints of future events and happenings. Is the miniaturist predicting events that happen or causing them? This is a page turner you want to keep reading to see what happens to young Nella next. I highly recommend this book and I am really looking forward to this new author's next book!

The Martian: A Novel
The Martian: A Novel
by Andy Weir
Price: $14.88
154 used & new from $2.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storytelling, page turning thriller, March 29, 2014
This review is from: The Martian: A Novel (Hardcover)
Oxygen, water, food, and gravity pressure that won't kill you. These are the things we Earthbound humans take for granted. However, these are the basic life support needs that astronaut Mark Watney has to create for himself after he is stranded on Mars by an unforeseen accident. He is stellar smart, an engineer and botanist, with a wicked sense of humor. But he's still very human and exposed on a planet that isn't made for human survival. The author really knows his science but doesn't weigh the reader down with it, gives you enough that it's completely believable and plausible but not boring.

This novel is a page-turner-thriller, it will appeal to anyone who loves to get sucked into a good book you just can't put down. It's not just for science fiction fans although sci-fi fans will find it a refreshing twist on Mars stories. It has hilarious moments too that will make you smile. Highly recommended, this is one of the best books I've read this year. Okay I'll give you fair warning: DON'T start reading this book if you have something important going on at work, you'll have to call in sick because you won't want to stop reading! I'm expecting this book to be listed as a Hugo nominee and many other award lists. Can't wait to read Mr. Weir's next book.

Root Rescue Dark Brown
Root Rescue Dark Brown
Price: $6.49
12 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT for grey root touchups in between salon visits, November 26, 2012
I love this product!!! It has only been a few days since my first use but I think I've found a solution to cover grey roots in between salon visits. I've been coloring my hair at very high end salon to cover my ever increasing grey for last couple of years. Within about 1-1.5 weeks after my salon visit some of my darn roots start showing grey and of course it is right at tip of my forehead and at the part- for all to easily see. I've tried all the mascara type touchup wands, the shampoos with temp coverage, changing parts, etc, yuck it's all a pain and nothing works well. The mascara wand cover sticks work but after awhile your hair doesnt feel silky smooth, you feel the gloppy cover. So a few days ago I was walking by the color isle at the local drugstore and the LOREAL box "10 minute Root Rescue caught my eye"- what the heck, I thought I would give it a try on a few small areas with grey roots showing and see what happened. I was very very skeptical that a product for a mere $8.00 could do anything- but I'm desperate to cover that grey and I while I don't mind spending $ at salon - it's crazy to go so often. I tried Loreal Root Rescue, afraid that i may have a big hair color emergency salon visit the next day BUT GUESS WHAT- YAY- it worked very well. I LOVE Loreal's Root Rescue!! Super, super easy to use product and the dark brown matches my natural color perfectly. I was also prepared for big mess but it wasn't! My hair is soft and shiny and seems well conditioned too. It doesn't seem damaged and definitely there's no orange color as described by other reviews. I think if you use a product like this is you cannot go too far off of your natural color - otherwise best just go to a pro colorist. I also think this IS low ammonia as box claims despite what other reviewers say bc the smell at the salon when I get color is so strong it can make my eyes water. The Root Rescue definitely did NOT have the strong ammonia smell i experience at the salon, but I don't think I need that much ammonia or whatever for just the in between touch ups. I left the product on for exactly 15 minutes per the instructions for stubborn grey and I had not washed my hair in several days. I think Loreal Root Rescue is a good product but if my roots suddenly change orange or my professional colorist tells me I should not have used this product bc it hinders his color process somehow I will update my review. But for now I am LOVING Loreal and Root Recovery in dark brown. And did I mention it was only 8.00?? I would gladly have paid much much more. I spend alot more every 6-9 weeks at the salon, now I feel I can easily stretch that out!! I also use Kerastase color shampoo and conditioners to protect my hair- I believe Kerastase is company owned by Loreal - expensive but worth it!

The Dog Stars
The Dog Stars
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down- when is Heller's next book coming out????, October 14, 2012
This review is from: The Dog Stars (Kindle Edition)
I will be eagerly awaiting Heller's next book! I couldn't put this one down. It made me cry and it stressed me out and then it made me smile. It is a very intense but thoughtful story of a man who is one of the few survivors of some sort of blood disease that wipes out most humans. He lives in a small airport with a crazy "off the grid" maniac. But we learn to appreciate that maniac and his pre-cautions that seem absurd in our world. The only part of the book I didn't care for, and this is just my personal viewpoint was the details about the sex. It's not enough to put me off the book, but I didn't feel it was truly necessary to the story to have that much detail and go on and on about it. I get the point he was making, I just thought he accomplished a lot quicker than he apparently thought. I hope my comments don't put anyone off, but it's just my opinion that as much as he went on and on about it in certain parts of the book, it wasn't necessary. It doesn't affect how great the story is or how great the ending is either. It's just that I'd rather hear more of the details he used in the beginning part of the book about his fishing, camping, and outdoor skills. And, how he used these to survive.

He really touched me deeply when he shows us how lonely we would be without each other, without companions and how we feel when we lose loved ones. And, he scared me when he shows us how brutal people could become.

Great book and great writer. I know we will hear more from Mr. Heller. I'll be in front of the line to get his next book. I'm already a subscriber to Outside Magazine and National Geographic, both publications I think I've heard he writes for. I'll be on the lookout for his name in those too.

Sour Lake: Or, The Beast
Sour Lake: Or, The Beast
by Bruce McCandless III
Price: $9.99
25 used & new from $1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one Texas TALLLL Tale!!!!, May 28, 2012
Whew! I can't believe I survived. It's scary down here in Texas especially in the Big Thicket area and McCandless will show you why. Texas Rangers, historical accounts, MURDER, mysterious disappearances, characters from our past you just can't forget and last but not least a horror sci-fi creature that the author keeps believable. Love it! McCandless keeps you turning those pages and even does what most horror and sci-fi authors can't pull off successfully, ends it with fantastic ending. This is a really tall tale.....or wait a minute, is it???

Sour Lake
Sour Lake
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one Texas TALLL TALE!!!!, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Sour Lake (Kindle Edition)

The Magic Of Drawing
The Magic Of Drawing
by Cliff Wright
10 used & new from $6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone who is interested in children's book illustration, November 6, 2011
This review is from: The Magic Of Drawing (Paperback)
I bought this book a year ago to go along with some basic drawing and children's book illustration classes I'm taking at the local art museum. This book has lots of great exercises for anyone who wants to illustrate or draw. Among the topics are creating and humanizing characters (animals), using space, composition and more. It has some good exercises for beginners but if you haven't had a beginning art class you might also want to get some other art books to give you additional exercises to practice such as Danny Gregory's Creative License, Betty Edward's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and accompanying workbook, and Bert Dodson's Keys to Drawing and Keys to Drawing with Imagination. Mr. Wright's book will fit in along with those classics quite well. I love the illustrations he includes to make a point. In addition to the great learning exercises you will find a lot of beautiful reference material in this book. Recommended for beginners and intermediate artists. I wish he had more books, I would love to see one with his painting tips.

Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
by Cathy Johnson
Price: $17.43
106 used & new from $4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars great for anyone who wants to keep & create any kind of art journal!!!, July 28, 2011
This book gives any journal keeper or wanna be journal keeper some great ideas to help inspire you or figure out exactly what you want to do with your sketchbook journals. The book includes suggestions for travel journaling, daily journaling, nature journaling, spiritual etc and not just samples of what others have done, but questions for the reader to explore and think about to help develop individual journaling that means something to you. I especially love the "Try This" exercises the author included in each chapter such as "describe your day," "abstract the scene," "travel-record the details," "sketch family mementos," "map family moves" and lots of other fun ideas to explore.

While showing some useful, beautiful and inspirational examples of ways other experienced and talented artists have kept journals, Ms. Johnson's book expands on the examples and gives tips for developing content as well as some guidance on materials that are easy to use and portable. She presents things very simply for beginners, in a completely non-intimidating way. However, those who have some art experience will appreciate the fact that she didn't over do the "how to paint with watercolors" section, but rather includes a discussion on how to use a variety of materials that work together and are easy just to throw in your purse or art bag. I haven't ever used colored pencils or acrylics because they seem too complicated of a medium to work properly for me, but after reading her suggestions I may experiment with some of these other mediums for fun in small sketches in my journal.

Ms. Johnson's book is easy for anyone at any level to use, skim it for ideas or read it cover to cover. It's a beautiful book and one that is clearly going to be a new classic on the topic of sketchbook journaling. Others I highly recommend are any of the Danny Gregory books, Everyday Matters, The Creative License, and An Illustrated Life; The Decorated Journal by Gwen Diehn; Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles Roth. Also recommend DVD Beginning Watercolor Journaling by Gay Kraeger and Christina Lopp. Drawing from Life, the Journal as Art by Jennifer New has some interesting examples of how a variety of journal keepers approach and keep a journal. Highly recommend the Urbansketchers website and blog, [...] for excellent examples of art journaling from all corners of the world. Cathy Johnson is one of my favorite contributors to that website.

The Best Pet Name Book Ever
The Best Pet Name Book Ever
by Wayne Bryant Eldridge
34 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is SUPER book for unique pet names! YAY!! It's comes on Kindle, March 5, 2011
This book is great help for thinking of really unique names for your pets. It will spark your imagination as the author, an experienced veterinarian, promises. I had been to all sorts of internet sites trying to find a good name for our new kitten. Finally I bought this book on my Kindle and it helped me come up with a couple of good name ideas, Hucklepurry being one idea (from literature section -book reminded me of Huckleberry Finn and our kitten is so purry!). Author suggests sticking with 1 or 2 syllables that your pet will recognize (so now we are thinking of what we could shorten Hucklepurry to). Even if you don't use any of the names suggested, this book will help you think of some things you never thought of before and jump start your own creativity to come up with your own original name. The book is broken down into different chapters with each chapter being a different category: appearance, personality, human names, terms of endearment. literature and art, pairs, greek & roman mythology, and many more. I loved the cute illustrations for each chapter too. I think I'll probably buy this book in book form too b/c it's so fun to read and browse through.

The only negative comment I have is with the Kindle formatting. Each chapter had a lead "intro" then next comes the list of suggested names for that category or topic. The font size on the suggested names in some of the chapters are very very ridiculously small and the font/text size adjuster on Kindle only adjusts the text of the text in the intro for each chapter, not the part that lists the suggested names. It was pretty frustrating to be straining to read the names. The name part is why I bought the book!! I finally figured out to adjust the orientation to landscape which seems to somewhat increase the names font sizes so that you don't feel like you are going to pass out, they are readable. I suppose these types of problems with Kindle formatting are to be expected while e-readers are so new. Regardless of this issue, I found the book very helpful and entertaining and I would recommend it. I don't want to scare readers away from the Kindle edition, you CAN adjust the orientation and see the names and the problem doesn't occur with all the chapters. It just took me a little time to figure out how. I think this kind of formatting issue should have been addressed when they were formatting this book into an ebook. GREAT BOOK though, really! I highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2