Profile for W Scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W Scott RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Wallet J.R. (Black)
Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Wallet J.R. (Black)
Price: $22.43
2 used & new from $22.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Except For Back Pocket Carry, February 2, 2015
I would recommend the wallet, but the one thing that is causing me to abandon it for something different is that tends to really bend your cards and then they start to crack along the edges. The cards are fanned out in the wallet just enough that they really flex when you sit on this. It doesn't seem that the cards are any more fanned out than other wallets but the nylon material just doesn't provide any rigidity to protect them from bending, where a leather wallet might do a better job of that. I have put up with this for a long time because I really like the wallet, but I'm finally tired of everything being bent and cracked, so I'm moving on. If you don't plan to carry it in your back pocket then you'll be fine, don't hesitate to buy this.

As far as durability I'd give this wallet ten stars if I could, I've carried this wallet everyday in my back pocket for a couple of years and it is showing absolutely no signs of wear. This wallet is extremely well made and durable. The shark bite closure system is genius, it's extremely low profile, you can't feel it when sitting on it and it positively holds the wallet closed and opens and closes easily and without a sound. (Unlike some wallets of this style that use velcro and can make a lot of noise when opening.)

Some things I like about this wallet is that it has a zippered pocket running the length of the bill compartment so you can easily partition off some emergency cash or store receipts and not get them mixed in with your bills. It has an additional zippered pocket behind the ID window on the inside that you can put coins or small items that I have found really handy from time to time.

The only other ding I'd give this wallet is that on the inside is a big, large print, bright yellow fabric Spec-Ops tag that really draws attention to the wallet when opened. Might not bother some people but it bugged me, so I cut it out with some small scissors. It caused no issue with the stitching and now there is nothing about getting in and out of this wallet that calls peoples attention.

Foursevens Gen2 QT2L-X 2XCR123A With Burst Mode from 390-780 Lumen Quark Tactical X 123 Cool White LED Light, Black Finish
Offered by Kandlepower
Price: $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect EDC light, October 15, 2014
This light strikes the perfect balance between size and power. It is small enough to easily carry in a front pocket and yet puts out an unbelievable amount of light. The beam is wide and floods the entire area to a considerable distance. Anything I have found that is brighter than this light, becomes too bulky to carry in a front pocket. I have tried several different EDC lights for front pocket carry and nothing has been able to unseat this as my preferred light.

Some dislike the use of CR123 batteries. They are expensive off the shelf at the local retail store, but buy them here on amazon and they are reasonable. I run this light with a rechargeable ultrafire TR17670 and have very good longevity, I use this light every day and usually charge the cell once every one to two weeks.

I will say that I don't feel the "burst mode" is worth it. If you can find a better deal on the non-burst mode version of this light, go for it. The extra brightness looks like it would be a big difference on paper, but in reality it's barely noticeable.

Also, this is the "tactical" version. Foursevens also makes a nearly identical light that is the "pro" version. I've had both and don't care for the pro. It does not allow you to program modes like the tactical, it also has a recessed tail switch that doesn't click on and off as easily, in my opinion. The only advantage of the recessed tail switch is that the pro will stand upright on it's end, and the tactical won't. That is a non-issue for me but might matter to some, other than that, I don't know why anyone would want a "pro" if they could have a "tactical."

I would also suggest checking on a deep carry clip for this light. Foursevens carries a replaceable clip that allows the light to sink completely into your pocket.

If you're looking for the perfect EDC light, you just found it.

Avalon Bay AB-ICE26R Portable Ice Maker
Avalon Bay AB-ICE26R Portable Ice Maker
Offered by Air & Water Inc
Price: $209.93
2 used & new from $97.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall A Good Machine, October 14, 2014
I wish I could give this about 4.5 stars. We cook and drink water filtered through a Berkey water filter system. We also wanted to make ice with this filtered water and this machine works well for doing that. We can generate ice much faster with this, than using ice cube trays in the freezer.

Operation - Simple. Fill with water, plug the unit in, push a button and walk away. There are two cube sizes to pick from, I have only used the smaller size option. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the machine you must remove to drain the left over water when you're finished making ice. In my opinion it is unnecessarily hard to remove. (My wife gave up trying to get it out.) Because this machine has a compressor, you want to avoid turning it upside down or on it's side to drain it. If you do, you'll want to unplug it, and let it sit upright for a long time before plugging it back in again.

Speed - It drops 9 cubes about every six minutes, and a paddle scoops them into a removable basket. It takes just short of an hour for the machine to fill this basket. It takes about three of these baskets to fill a gallon ziploc bag with ice.

The internal temperature of the machine is not refrigerated, so the cubes that collect in the basket are wet on the surface because they begin to slowly melt. If you transfer the ice from the basket into a freezer, all the cubes will freeze and stick together, but they are easily broken apart again.

The machine has a small red LED light to notify you that the internal basket is full of ice, or that the machine needs refilled with water. An audible alarm would have been much more useful. I set a timer when I'm making ice so I don't forget to empty the machine.

Pros -
It does make cubes faster than filling ice cube trays. The machine does not impart any taste to the cubes, they taste just like the water you put into it.

Cons- Not much really, the drain plug needs to be easier to remove, and an audible alarm to notify when the basket is full or the unit is out of water would have made this a 5 star review.

I would recommend the machine for home use, and I would buy the machine again.

LG Electronics HBS-730.ACUSBKK Tone and Bluetooth Headset, Black
LG Electronics HBS-730.ACUSBKK Tone and Bluetooth Headset, Black
Offered by The mall online
Price: $84.95
25 used & new from $24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Product! - Big Problems, October 14, 2014
Sorry to report that after about three weeks the microphone on this device started to quit during phone calls. The mic would work just fine for the first couple of minutes of a call, then stop working so that callers could not hear my voice, although I could still hear them. This was obviously a deal breaker for me and after investigating online, found that I am not alone, this seems to be a common problem with this product. Since I was within my return window, I shipped the unit back to Amazon and got a full refund. This is too bad, because if the unit would work as designed it would be a great product.

Original review:

I've been using this for about a week with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and am very impressed.

Sound Quality - Very good, better than I expected. I'd been listening to music through the ear-buds that came with the Galaxy S3 and was satisfied with those, in my opinion this headset provides equivalent audio quality as the Samsung ear-buds.

Microphone Quality - People say they can't tell any difference when I'm talking through these or directly into the phone.

Comfort - I wear these almost constantly during an 8 hour workday and they are comfortable, I don't get tired of wearing them. They come with extra sizes of silicone ear buds. I don't get tired of having the buds in my ear.

Battery life - I can go 2 or 3 days between charges, while wearing them for most of an 8 hour day. When you power them on, you get a voice notification of battery level, high, medium or low.

Connectivity - I can leave my phone centrally located in my three bedroom home, walk all over the house including down to the basement and not lose connectivity. If I go to the attached garage or outside it drops out fast. If you move out of range, it will give you a voice warning that it has lost connectivity and will try every few seconds to reconnect. As soon as you come back into range it will give you a voice verification that it has automatically reconnected.

Operation - the buttons are well spaced and have enough relief to easily feel them with your fingertips and control the device.

I really can't think of any negatives especially given the price. It works well and as advertised.

Fobus Standard Holster RH Paddle SW4 Smith & Wesson 4" L+K Frame / Taurus 660, 431, 65
Offered by Zahal - Israeli Tactical Gear
Price: $24.99
40 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice holster, fits like a glove, September 4, 2014
Nice holster, fits like a glove. The gun "clicking" into place as you holster it is very satisfying. It has the perfect balance of retaining the gun when holstered and yet not making it difficult to draw. Very well made, I would highly recommend.

FINAL EVENTS and the Secret Government Group on Demonic UFOs and the Afterlife
FINAL EVENTS and the Secret Government Group on Demonic UFOs and the Afterlife
by Nicholas Redfern
Price: $15.15
40 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It is nearly impossible to find an author that can ..., September 4, 2014
It is nearly impossible to find an author that can write on the UFO phenomena without skewing the subject in the light of their own world view. Redfern uncovers the story of a government sponsored group tasked with harnessing the paranormal and unflinchingly gives us the story even though the implications lead many to conclusions that are unpopular within the UFO community. The story of the Collins Elite is an interesting one, and Redfern lays it out with unparalleled objectivity. This is a must read.

iFrogz Script Case for iPad mini (IPMST-BLK)
iFrogz Script Case for iPad mini (IPMST-BLK)
9 used & new from $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I love the look of this case, September 2, 2014
I love the look of this case, but the materials are terrible. The plastic that snaps around the ipad, cracks and breaks off in little pieces. This gets very light use and it's literally falling apart. It's unbelievable how brittle this plastic is and how effortlessly it breaks. I've had this case about two months and now must replace it. There are little diagonal ridges in the interior of the cover that don't provide enough traction to keep the ipad from sliding out of position when the case is used as a stand. It appears if the ridges were just straight rather than diagonal, it would have worked much better. It looks like it was designed to slip. A few design changes and better materials and this would be a great case, but as it stands it's a complete waste of money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 6:53 AM PDT

True Utility Telepen Telescopic Pen
True Utility Telepen Telescopic Pen
Offered by Find-me-a-gift UK
Price: $10.40
3 used & new from $10.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 14, 2014
I wouldn't want to write a novel with this but for signing receipts or jotting notes on the go this is perfect. Virtually unnoticeable on your keychain. Writes very smoothly.

Victorinox  Sunglass Case,Black,One Size
Victorinox Sunglass Case,Black,One Size
Price: $23.69
7 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 14, 2014
Sturdy and well made. In addition to prescription sunglasses I can carry a small flashlight and I attached a couple of tins with Velcro to one half of the case. Depending on your style of sunglasses it can be used to carry quite a few extra things.

Inka Pen Refill w/Yellow Stylus, Blue Ink
Inka Pen Refill w/Yellow Stylus, Blue Ink
Offered by 21st-Century-Goods
Price: $5.85
3 used & new from $5.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, June 14, 2014
These will write, but they feel sluggish and stiff. I bought these because I assumed my existing refill was old but these were not much better. Definitely not a smooth writing experience.

Page: 1 | 2