Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for Widow Rose > Reviews

Browse

Widow Rose's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Widow Rose "Conjurer of Beautiful Darkness" RSS Feed (WISCONSIN, USA)

Savage Intrigue
Savage Intrigue
by Cassie Edwards
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
67 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fulfilling and Wonderful, August 11, 2011
I have not been a fan of Miss Edwards books, as I felt them to be far to similar to one another. This book, however, is far different from the typical captive falls in love with the captor she fears and hates, but eventually learns to love and visa versa.

In this story, Midnight Wolf is a gentle, kind and peaceful young Chief of the Wolf Band of the Dakota People. Let me begin by saying that I enjoyed that Midnight Wolf's hair was grown to his waist, rather than the typical shoulder length discription, and though he is described as muscled he is also described as tall and lean. To me, this is FAR more sexy than a body builder description. Native American Warriors were stealthy, quick, and able bodied...if they were ALL as muscled as some of these writers describe, they'd be unable to do what was necessary to survive in the wilderness lol seriously. Have you ever seen a body builder run? It's humorous and oxy. Anyway, back to the book. Midnight Wolf has never before thought of taking a woman into his lodge, for his devotion to his people takes precedent over his own needs. Since he is a non-violent and peaceful man, I can assume that he's yet to give himself to a woman, but the story is not clear on this.

There is an adorable little boy, who Midnight wolf took as his charge upon the death of the boy's father. Gentle Bear, who is Midnight Wolf's charge, is a VERY naughty little brave who persistently disobeys his chief, who is wise in his warnings and ways. Gentle Bear must really have puppy dog eyes and a powerful pout, because he is forgiven time and time again, even though his actions could have turned the eye of the Whites to their hidden camp, where his people have been safe for three years. Gentle Bear is the main reason that several events take place. First, he is the matchmaker between the heroine and hero, well...namely because he 'accidentally' shoots the heroine in the leg with his small bow and arrow, thinking her a man.

Our Heroine is a young woman who is half Dakota and Half Washichu. Her mother, a Dakota Woman and her father a White Physician beloved and trusted by the Dakota. It is during this time of unrest, that renegade Whites began needlessly hanging Indians simply for existing (which angered me intensely, as I know these books are in part historically correct). Her journey begins when she discovers her father hanged in a tree nearby their secluded cabin, which they thought would never be found. She guesses correctly that the murderer is still nearby, but instead of leaving right away, she goes into the cabin to look around. It's like the Bimbo in the horror movies, who knows there's an unnatural thing going on downstairs, but goes to check it out anyway only to get killed as a result of her mindlessness. Well, the murderer is in the cabin, and promptly attempts to rape her. His description will give you the heebeegeebees, as it did me. He's a greasy, dirty, scummy looking outlaw with a beard and no sense at all. Instead of sex, he gets his trigger finger blown off. Thankfully, she thwarts his attempted rape by shooting off his trigger finger, and forcing him out of her home at gun point. Her second mistake is letting him leave alive. I would've killed him, were I her. There's always the chance that he'd come back with others. Anyway, instead of killing him, she runs away fearing he'd return. She packs her cat, Fluffy, her horse and some meager belongings and heads into no man's land Wisconsin. This Villain, named Raymond, spends the entire book angry about what SHE did to him as if he has a right to be! As I said before, he has no sense. Nevermind that he EARNED that shot off finger by killing her father and trying to rape her. He's a maddeningly dimwitted villain who is so full of himself that he can't understand that his wrong doing is what caused his own suffering. Raymond's own journey is reflected in the book, as if any of us cares, right?

Our Heroine rides for a few days, finally finding herself at a lake where there are many ducks. She only has a rifle, but fears to fire it for she doesn't know if there is anyone nearby enough to hear the shot; but she's hungry. Simultaneously, our little Gentle Bear has wandered to the lake, against his Chief's order, to kill some duck for his Mom and to get feathers for his Shaman. Instead of shooting duck, he shoots our heroine (it didn't help that she was dressed as a Washichu man so that she wouldn't be harrassed by anyone, especially sex starved white men). This injury gets the story rolling, and brings Midnight Wolf to her side, and to her rescue. She is instantly drawn to his beauty, gentleness, and voice. Falling in love instantly, as is this author's bent. The Village Shaman is a traditional old Indian who does not like our Heroine, because she is white and is not aware of her Dakota Heritage. Why she never divulges this to Midnight Wolf is beyond me. I suppose the story wouldn't have lasted longer than eight chapters if she had. All would've been well, and it would have developed into ten children later, and the happily ever after ending that comes many, many chapters later.

I have read this book twice in the span of a week and a half. I just can't get enough of the gorgeous Midnight Wolf, his tender nature, and gentle way with Gentle Bear and the beauty of the Dakota People, their traditions and beliefs. I'm normally not one to read a book twice within such a short time span, but this book REALLY is that good! I'd highly recommend it!!

Cuttlebug A2 Embossing Folder, Leafy Branch
Cuttlebug A2 Embossing Folder, Leafy Branch
Offered by Mischievous Creations
Price: $4.99
3 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Fauna Design, May 25, 2011
I am often drawn to leafy patterns, and anything related to floral vines or leafy vines. This embossing folder is simply beautiful! If you're looking for something springy, to to add drama to a garden party invitation, this folder is perfect for you! It's affordable, and offers a beautiful result!

Provo Craft Cuttlebug Embossing Folders, Plum Blossom
Provo Craft Cuttlebug Embossing Folders, Plum Blossom
Price: $9.24
8 used & new from $9.24

5.0 out of 5 stars An Addictive New Hobby, May 25, 2011
Ever since I purchased my Sizzix Texture Boutique, I have been addicted to embossing any manner of cards, paper, bookmarks, etc. These Cuttlebug Embossing folders (Plum Blossom Set) are simply beautiful! As I am getting a Cuttlebug for my birthday this year (which is literally tomorrow), I will be able to use the larger folders. I love that Cuttlebug folders (small folders) work in my Sizzix machine, since I don't like most of the Sizzix folders I've seen. They're patterns look great as a drawn description, but once embossed on paper...they often times look like blobs of something (Tim Holtz folders are infamous for this). Thus far, Cuttlebug has the CUTEST and most Elegant folders. I would recommend Cuttlebug Embossing Folders to anyone interested in embossing. Namely because the results are crisp, clear, and always pleasing to look at.

11 Colors Neon Glitter Cream Pallette For Eye Face Lip Makeup Color # 4
11 Colors Neon Glitter Cream Pallette For Eye Face Lip Makeup Color # 4

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Completely Sold, April 3, 2011
When it arrived, and I saw that it was more wax-like gelatin mixed with glitter I was really bummed. I attempted to dab some over my eyeshadow, but it completely removed the color, in addition to clumping in the crease of my eyelid. It's great for body glitter, or on the lips; but it absolutely sux for the eyes, If you're looking for eye shadow glitter, keep looking because this will leave you wanting.

SHANY Eyeshadow Kit, Crazy Neon, 36 Color
SHANY Eyeshadow Kit, Crazy Neon, 36 Color

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid, Rich, Beautiful Colors, April 3, 2011
I am always on the lookout for new and exciting eye shadow and eye liner. When I saw this set, I was skeptical namely because I wasn't able to see the pallet before purchase. Normally, I purchase my eye shadows from Sally Beauty Supply here locally, but I wanted brighter more vivid colors than my Sally's carries. I tried out this collection and am I thrilled!!!! They are metallic and yet pearly at one time. I couldn't be happier with the 'easy-to-blend' nature of this particular shadow. It's wonderful, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Dynasty Warriors 4 - PlayStation 2
Dynasty Warriors 4 - PlayStation 2
Offered by The Best Only
77 used & new from $1.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy For A 5th, October 26, 2010
Dynasty Warriors 4 is fairly exciting, in that you have lots of characters to choose from; three different kingdoms to fight for, and six outfit changes you can earn as you grow in experience. What I don't like, is that the musou modes for each character are exactly the same depending on the Kingdom they belong to (monotony on a disk). I love DW everything, but was very happy they came out with DW5, and it's companion Xtreme Legends. I LOVE the Destiny Mode, which is lacking on Xtreme Legends 4. That's fine, they've progressed in 5 which is a welcome change. One thing that urked me about DW4 is that the characters can't move freely while they're attacking. So you end up going in a straight line, where there are no more enemies to kill. This leaves the character open to attack from behind (now where's the honor in that, Mister AI guy)

Dungeon Siege - PC
Dungeon Siege - PC
Offered by Bargain Buyers Software
Price: $26.30
42 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Old School RPG, October 21, 2010
This review is from: Dungeon Siege - PC (Video Game)
I first played this game years ago, and I loved it. As the years passed, and the game went missing, it slipped my mind. But recently it resurfaced, and I recall how much fun I had playing it. So I ordered it again, and am so glad to have it!! I'd recommend it for anyone who just likes to zone out for an hour, without having to think too much. It's great fun, nice graphics considering the year it was made.

Playstation 2 Console - Black
Playstation 2 Console - Black
253 used & new from $43.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Playstation 2 Game Console, October 2, 2010
What I really like about the PS2, is that I can use my ancient PS1 games on it! Almost all the games for this console have excellent graphics, and are fun and engaging. I would have to say, however, that the PS2 Slim overheats way too easily! I'm going to try the non-slim version, in the hopes that it will last longer than a few hours before it needs a break.

UPDATE: I just got the 'non-slim' version of the PS2 and do I LOVE IT! It runs for a long, long time (for movie play as well as game play) without so much as a sign of heating up! I love this thing, and I'd have to say it was more than worth the money!

Gothic: Dark Glamour
Gothic: Dark Glamour
by Valerie Steele
27 used & new from $19.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful manuscript on Gothic Fashion..., February 10, 2010
This review is from: Gothic: Dark Glamour (Hardcover)
This book is perhaps the most enigmatic when speaking about Gothic Fashion and its origins. I have enjoyed reading it, and find the photography to be inspiring; even thought provoking. I would recommend this book to anyone desiring to pursue a career in Gothic Fashion, or Modeling, or for anyone who is currently active in the Gothic Sub-Culture and is a Gothic Fashionista at heart :)