Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS
Profile for Amazon user > Reviews

Browse

Amazon user's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon user RSS Feed (St. Louis, MO)

Page: 1 | 2
Kingston 16GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Flash Drive, Blue (DTIG4/16GBET)
Kingston 16GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Flash Drive, Blue (DTIG4/16GBET)
Price: $6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 10, 2015
Works great. Super fast need I say more?

Accutire Digital Tire Pressure Gauge (2 Pack)
Accutire Digital Tire Pressure Gauge (2 Pack)
Offered by TriStateValue
Price: $21.96
5 used & new from $19.79

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, June 6, 2015
Very accurate, easy to use,lights up automatically, easy to read, fits well in the hand, price is right. What more do you need?!?

How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor
by Ernie J. Zelinski
Price: $11.99
176 used & new from $2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, August 16, 2014
I just finished reading "How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free"
I picked the Kindle edition to get all the extra resources
at the back!

I bought the book because I retired three years ago, at age
62, and was concerned I wasn't doing it right. After reading
the book, I was happy to learn I actually was doing just
fine! I cycle about 75 miles a week, sing in various
ensembles, enjoy eight grandchildren with my wife, have a
few close friends and many acquaintances, walk with our two
golden retrievers nearly every day, ride my motorcycle about
5,000 miles a year, take enjoyable trips-the list goes on
and on.

This book was such a relief to read! Here I was leading a
perfectly happy retirement and didn't know it. I will say
this - the book helped me decide to quit an organization
that I was in because I thought I should be. It was dragging
me down worse than any job. When I quit, I felt freer than
when I retired! And as for wild, well, how about riding a
Harley over 700 miles in one day because you're having so
much fun you just didn't want to get off?

This is an excellent book. I'll be recommending
it to all my friends and acquaintances.

BandIT Therapeutic Forearm Band
BandIT Therapeutic Forearm Band
Price: $17.05
25 used & new from $12.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant relief!, March 5, 2014
I put this band on and the pain in my elbow and tendon instantly vanished. Very easy to adjust. Comfortable - I can wear it all day fastened a bit loose, or just tighten it a bit and do a heavy workout. I love devices that do one thing and do that one thing fantastically well. This is one of those devices. I completely recommend this for tendinitis and tennis elbow. I have both, in my right arm, and this band makes it possible to type, work out, ride my motorcycle, and just get through the day using my arm as if nothing was wrong, without resorting to handfuls of ibuprofen and ice packs to keep the pain down.

(Old Version) DIRECTV GenieGo Video Transcoder for PC and Mac from DIRECTV (GenieGo)
2 used & new from $75.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, February 15, 2014
I ordered my GenieGo directly from DirecTV, not knowing it was available here on Amazon. Duh - nearly everything is available here!

I have an old Slingbox Solo that I've used for years. But when I read about the GenieGo, it seemed that I could pretend to be in front of any TV in the house anywhere in the world as long as I had internet access. In other words, just like having a Slingbox on every DirecTV receiver.

Well, maybe that works for some, but not me. My setup is not complicated. I have U-Verse for home phone and internet, and a LinkSys E-3000 router to provide Wifi. The automatic configuration in the GenieGo PC app didn't work at all. I had to go into my router config and open the ports and make the DHCP reservation manually. After all that, I still couldn't get connected to the GenieGo outside of my home network. I'll call DirecTV on Monday during the day in hopes of finding somebody who can help. Why wait til Monday? Read on!

The first-line folks at DirecTV don't know much about this box. For example, the sales rep from whom I bought the GenieGo told me you just plug it into the back of one of your DVR's. Nope, you have to plug it into a network port on the back of your router. Since I was out of ports, I installed a switch for my two blu-ray players, keeping the GenieGo attached directly to my LinkSys.

While trying to get the out of home stuff to work, I was chatting with a support person who clearly doesn't know much about this box. She didn't seem to know what my problem was, even though I clearly said I can't get out of home access to work! Then, at one point, she said that when you are out of home you can only access recordings that the GenieGo has "prepared." This doesn't seem to be right, but I don't really know the answer, since I can't get out of home to work!

I'm a retired computer professional. As recently as a few years ago I was in charge of over a hundred servers. While I admit I'm not the best on networking, I was able to get my sling box to work years ago, and it still works both in and out of the home, with the same kind of DHCP reservation and port forwarding I have done for the GenieGo on my LinkSys router.

Anyway, I did manage to get a hard drive I had lying around attached (I had to format it FAT-NTFS won't work). I also managed to get a show copied to my laptop and iPad. The quality is standard definition, which is disappointing, but at least it's watchable.

I suppose I'll keep the GenieGo around for those rare times I want to have something to watch on the plane, and just remember to download the content to my laptop or iPad the night before.

It's really a shame. Slingboxes have been around for many years. GenieGo should be at least as good as a ten-year-old Slingbox, but sadly, it's not even close.

UPDATE: It's been two weeks now since I put the GenieGO device on my network, and all DirecTV support can do is have me do test after test after test. I never get to actually talk to anyone at DirecTV that knows anything - all they can do is keep spouting the same garbage from "engineering" over and over again. Today was the last straw. I got a call from a DirecTV person who told me that Engineering says the next thing I have to do is contact my ISP and have them do a tracert on the line. I explained that I had already done this two weeks ago, and spent $50 to have it done, by AT&T U-verse. He kept saying the same thing, and I kept saying the same thing, and I finally told him that obviously you folks just don't know how to fix my problem with the GenieGO, so this conversation is over.

It's really a shame, too. If it worked out of the home, it could be a neat little device. As it is, it's only good for copying stuff from your DVR before you leave home. That might be OK for a little weekend camping trip, but it won't do for a month-long road trip out West.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 8:37 AM PST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars OK now (Was: Dead on arrival), January 11, 2014
When I read a month or so ago that the updated Fitbit app basically turns your iPhone 5s into a Fitbit Zip, I immediately downloaded the app and gave it a try. I was so impressed I got a Zip for my wife. It has worked fine from day one. On the strength of that, I decided to get a Force for myself, because I'm more techy than she is, and wanted to be able to wear one device on my wrist that could serve as both a watch and a fitness tracker.

Here is the saga of my Fitbit Force:

Day 1, in the early evening:
I just received my Force from another online retailer (Amazon and even Fitbit.com was out of stock). After adding it to my iPhone and iPad FitBit apps, I charged it for a full 2 hours. The time on the display is grossly inaccurate. It reads 2:38 when the actual time is 10:18. I reset the Force following the directions on the website. The version came up V30. The time remained the same.I also noticed that the iOS app still says the battery is low, which should not be the case. I did walk around a bit, and the steps and floors seemed to increment, so at least that seemed to work, although it can be deceiving because the Fitbit devices increment stuff just because you're alive and sitting around LOL! But the main reason I chose the Force over the competition was so I could wear one device to be my watch and my tracker. The watch part is clearly not working, and the syncing is suspect. I do have my time zone set correctly in the apps and on the website-Central Time, US & Canada.

Day 2.
I got up in the morning and although the Force showed I had slept 7:30, the app was not updated. The app still said the battery was low, and the Force had last synched at 7:30 last night. So, I deleted the app, restarted the Force, reinstalled the app, same thing. So, I replaced the Force in the app with MobileTrack on my iPhone 5s. It synched immediately to my 5s chip. Then, I replaced the MobileTrack with the Force in the iPhone 5s app. It synched right up, and now said the battery was full. The app even showed my sleep statistics from last night. I also deleted the app from my iPad to make sure I didn't have two devices syncing to the Force. Still no dice.

HOWEVER, it will not continue to sync. In several tries, it still says the last sync was at 7:41 a.m., over an hour later. And, at 8:20 am the Force said it was 12:40. Forgot to mention that no matter how I change the Force display in the app, the Force never updates the display, I can't change the clock face, the order of activities, nothing.

My wife said one of her girl friends had to send her first Fitbit device back because it, too was faulty. In reading the reviews here, there obviously seems to be a severe lack of quality control! I have emailed all this narrative to Fitbit.

Anyway, I hope to be able to come back and update this review when/if Fitbit either fixes my Force or replaces it. Last time I checked Fitbit.com had a delay of 4-6 weeks for new Force devices, so I guess it's going to be a while.

Meanwhile, my new Force is going to sit in a drawer until Fitbit contacts me. I'm back to using my iPhone 5s built-in chip in the FitBit app as MobileTrack.

UPDATE: I fixed it myself. I had to use the supplied USB dongle and pair the Force with a real computer to get it to work. I am still having some issues, though. Sleep hours aren't syncing with LoseIt! And hydration levels from LoseIt! aren't syncing with FitBit.

Wearable tech is coming of age, but we are definitely not there yet. I suppose it's good to remind oneself not to lose sight of the real goal, which is to move more and eat less! These devices do help, but let's not forget that they are themselves computers and subject to all the bugs and frustrations they entail.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 8:14 PM PST

Bourbon Review (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Bourbon Review (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible on Kindle Fire, September 16, 2013
The Kindle Fire 7" edition of this magazine does not follow normal conventions. Double tap does not zoom in, and trying to pinch zoom in and out has wildly unpredictable results-sometimes it works, but more often it changes to a different page and you have a miserable time getting back to the page you were trying to read. The page icons at the bottom of the page are hard to get rid of. The magazine opens up at the cover page, not where you left off, so you have to navigate to the page you want, and of course the navigation is just aweful. The interactive pages never load, and the program itself takes a very long time just to load the cover page. Finally, there's no date on the mag, so you don't even know what month you're reading. I was reading what I thought was the latest one, but there were references to upcoming events that had already passed.

The content reads more like a continuous ad or promo piece for various distilleries-there are no recommendations or comparisons.

I really wanted to like a magazine dedicated to Bourbon, unlike the "other" magazine about whisky that concentrates mostly on foreign products like Scotch and Irish. You would think that after five years this magazine would have figured it out. But, unfortunately, unless these problems are fixed, I cannot recommend this e-magazine on a 7" Kindle Fire.

Nest Learning Thermostat, 2nd Generation
Nest Learning Thermostat, 2nd Generation
Offered by POCKET-GEAR
Price: $198.99
60 used & new from $175.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome thermostat!, April 27, 2013
Bought mine from Best Buy; should have saved the $22 tax and bought it here. Since I program computers for a living I turned off auto learn and just entered the schedule on the iPhone app. Since when we go on vacation our neighbor brings in our mail every day and checks on the house I also turned off auto away.

The biggest draws for me about this thermo are:

-Access from anywhere in the world from my iPhone.
-Heat & cool in one cycle. Perfect for spring and fall when night temps are in the '30's and daytime temps are in the '80's.
-Three separate schedules: Heat, Cool, Heat/Cool.
-Lock. Keeps little hands from changing everything!
-Humidifier control built right into the Stat.

It also looks like a piece of art on the wall, which the wife likes. Very easy to install, too. Except the humidifier part-for that you need to be a pro, or hire one. I'd definitely recommend this product.

Casio Men's AQS800W-1B2VCF "Slim" Solar Multi-Function Ana-Digi Sport Watch
Casio Men's AQS800W-1B2VCF "Slim" Solar Multi-Function Ana-Digi Sport Watch
Price: $34.99
32 used & new from $32.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect watch!, April 16, 2013
I bought this watch mostly for traveling, since it's so easy to change time zones on it. I do the opposite of what the directions say-I keep the world time always on my home city, St. Louis, and move the home time zone to whatever time zone I'm in. That way I always know what time it is at home in the digital display, and the analog hands are always on time wherever I am. Plus, when you set the home time zone you can move forward OR back - in world time mode you can only move one direction, which causes you to have to cycle through all the time zones on your way back!

My other watch is an original Oceanus, which doesn't have world time, so on a cruise that goes past the four major US time zones, I had to manually set the time by pushing the minutes button sixty times to advance one hour! What a pain! (Current Oceanus watches don't have this problem.) Another advantage of this new watch on a cruise is you can easily set it to match the official ship's clock, which is never the same as an atomic watch like my Oceanus.

I like this new watch so much that I now wear it as my everyday watch, and only wear the Oceanus for dress.

Mint.com Personal Finance
Mint.com Personal Finance
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars New update crashes, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
Today's update irrevocably broke the application. It won't even open now. Too bad - it worked tolerably well, although a few days behind what your accounts really were, for over a year.

Page: 1 | 2