Profile for thejboss > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

thejboss RSS Feed

Merrell Women's Avian Light Sport,Dark Shadow,8.5 M US
Merrell Women's Avian Light Sport,Dark Shadow,8.5 M US

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Merrell's standards, August 11, 2014
I've owned several pairs of Merrell shoes and loved them all....until now. I purchased these shoes after seeing them on someone else. I investigated further. They looked nice on, had a good fit and were light (good for travel). What could go wrong? The achilles heal of this shoe is (disappointingly) the shoe laces and eyelets. The eyelets are designed so that only a thin shoe lace will work. The first lace broke within weeks. I struggled to find a replacement lace to fit. When I finally found one, it also break within weeks. I tried both waxed and unwaxed laces. After replacing the laces for the 4th or 5th time, I concluded that the plastic, triangular shaped eyelet, shredded the lace because it was always sitting at the pinch point of the eyelet. After about 4 months, I just gave up on wearing them because I couldn't predict if they shoe lace would hold for even the shortest of journeys. A really dumb design flaw to an otherwise comfortable shoe.

IKEA Bastis (BÄSTIS) Dog Cat Pet Leash Set of 6 Hook Clothes Hanger
IKEA Bastis (BÄSTIS) Dog Cat Pet Leash Set of 6 Hook Clothes Hanger
Offered by What America Buys
Price: $29.83
7 used & new from $21.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great., August 11, 2014
Good size and quality. Would have gotten 5 stars if they had included screws for mounting.

Robogenesis: A Novel
Robogenesis: A Novel
Price: $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars He's kidding, right?, August 11, 2014
After only a few pages into this book, I started to have concerns about story. I recall thinking to myself "He'd got to be kidding". Without giving away the plot and storyline, suffice it to say that it is really just a less interesting and less believable spin off of the original. The characters, most of which you will find in the original, add little to bring life to the story - in point of fact, I would say they added to the level of boredom and predictability to the plot. Another part of the book that disappointed was the authors heavy reliance on blood and gore. The first novel had it's share, but the author really cranked it up a notch in this one. In my experience, there is an inverse relationship between the depth of the story line and the depth of the gore - if you can't come up with a good story, make it a bloody one. It just doesn't work and I found my self skipping entire paragraphs our of boredom. The ending came as no surprise, including the part where I was happy it was over.

Fellowes P-35c 5 Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder (3213501)
Fellowes P-35c 5 Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder (3213501)
Price: $61.04
77 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot Recommend, June 25, 2012
I purchased this shedder for our home office. We don't have that many documents to shred, nor did we have a lot of space to put the shredder. I also wanted a crosscut shredder that could do multiple pages. This product seemed to meet all of those needs. After using it, I can say that it only meets two of these needs: it's small and it does crosscut. I have found that it cannot reliably shred 5 sheets. I would say that it starts to struggle at 3. It also goes into shut down mode after less than 2 minutes of shredding because of overheating. It spends more time in the cooling down phase than is spends in the shredding phase. Very disappointing. Although I do not need to shred much, the pile that I have to shred is growing because this shredder cannot keep up. I cannot recommend this shredded.

NZ Frenzy: New Zealand South Island 2nd Edition
NZ Frenzy: New Zealand South Island 2nd Edition
by Scott Cook
8 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for travelers to New Zealand and New Zealanders, May 4, 2012
I am a New Zealander, I rarely go on a road trip without this book or it's companion for the North Island. It not only provides details about the well known New Zealand sites (Milford Sound, Queenstown, etc), but also takes you to the lesser known gems. Unlike most travel books, this book focuses on things to see and how to get there rather than where to go for lodging and food. The authors recommendations are useful, because unlike other travel books he provides lots first hand details - not just a paragraph or two of uninteresting twaddle. He backs it all up with links to youtube videos and photos. The book may not have the "polish" of other travel guides, but don't let that put you off. The details that this author provides is far more genuine (and helpful) than the Lonely Planet or Go Guides rehash of 5 year old information.

Ready Player One
Ready Player One
Price: $2.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
I am half way through this book and am struggling to finish it. I don't understand why it received so many glowing reviews. To say the book is obsessed with 80's references is an understatement. I had to skip past a serious number of pages (on multiple occasions) just to get back to the story line. I wanted to scream " I get it. Move on with the story!" If the characters were likable or interesting, I might give the book more of a pass, but I found them all one dimensional and predictable. The main character's ability to remember every line from every 80's movie and TV show is simply not believable. The writing style has no depth and the quests/challenges that the characters must fulfill on their way to winning the prize are uninteresting and obtuse. I grew up in the 80's, I liked the 80's but I don't want to sleep with the 80's. I sense the author does. The only credit I will give the author is that the virtual world for schools and education that he portrays early on in the book demonstrates a deeper level of thought. It's too bad that the author didn't put the same amount into the story line and characters in the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2012 5:13 PM PDT

Robopocalypse: A Novel (Vintage Contemporaries)
Robopocalypse: A Novel (Vintage Contemporaries)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic SciFi, May 1, 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It is the best science fiction that I have read in a very long time. I am the type of reader who enjoys classic Science Fiction (think Asimov and Clarke) where the focus is on the story and not blood, guts and sex. The vignette style of writing took me back, at first, but in the end, I loved this approach. It helped to pace me, something I needed to do to avoid finishing the book in one sitting. It had been so long since I found a good Science Fiction read that I dreaded getting to the end. I want more! The characters are likable, the story credible and the ending did not disappoint. I will definitely buy more from this author and I really hope he does a follow on.

Uchida 480-4A 4-Piece Bistro Chalk Marker Set
Uchida 480-4A 4-Piece Bistro Chalk Marker Set
Price: $12.02
32 used & new from $7.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says, May 1, 2012
I ordered these to replace a different brand liquid chalk marker that I was unhappy with. The previous markers I owned had problems with flow, often leaving dead spots when I wrote with them, and I found the tip too blunt. I wanted a set that was more colorful, had a smoother writing style and a finer tip. The Bistro Chalk Markers met all of these expectations. It takes a bit of work to get the chalk to flow initially, but after that the flow is consistent, the colors are bright (but not obnoxious) and the size of the writing tip is perfect for my needs. I am very happy.