Profile for J. Redding > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Redding RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
7 Wonders
7 Wonders
Price: $33.10
67 used & new from $27.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Family's Favorite Game, April 28, 2015
This review is from: 7 Wonders (Toy)
Our family enjoys Settlers of Catan, Labyrinth, Monopoly, and many others. But 7 Wonders is our favorite--by far. Less luck than other games, lots of strategy involved, and oftentimes your strategy changes as the game progresses. Also, you don't have to wait on other players to play their turn because everyone plays every turn. There is a set number of turns per game. It takes us about 30 to 45 minutes to play a game, depending on how many members of our family (of 6) play. We love it.

Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller
Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller
Price: $179.00
49 used & new from $150.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Product, February 7, 2015
I have the 30 inch black electric digital smoker. I got it for Christmas 2014 and it worked great for about 7 or 8 times. Then when I was halfway through cooking 3 racks of ribs, the smoker started to cool down. I assumed the heating element went out. I called Masterbuilt, and they were very nice and sent me a new element. I installed it per directions, and it still doesn't work. Must be some bad wiring. So now I have a metal box that does nothing. I can't recommend this product as it is very poorly built. You can see that from the numerous reviews that have had experiences similar to mine. I should have listened to the other reviews.

Injustice: Gods Among Us (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Kindle Tablet Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars good, December 3, 2014
It is a great game.

FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS
FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS

5.0 out of 5 stars great, November 24, 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS (App)
It is a very good game.

Don't Tap The White Tile (Piano Tiles)
Don't Tap The White Tile (Piano Tiles)

5.0 out of 5 stars good, November 6, 2014
Good game.

Real Steel World Robot Boxing
Real Steel World Robot Boxing

5.0 out of 5 stars good, November 2, 2014
It is a great game.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2014 9:00 PM PST

Galaxy Note 3 Case, i-Blason N9000 Smart Phone Leather Slim Book Case Cover with Stand Feature for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Black)
Offered by i-BLASON
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case--but you've got to remove the magnet, November 13, 2013
This case fits my Galaxy Note 3 very well and does a great job protecting it. And it looks like real leather--much nicer than I would have thought for the price. But, if you order this product, you've got to cut off the tab/flap with the magnet inside. After a couple of weeks, my Note 3 began slowing down considerably. It eventually began to freeze up and became so buggy that it was unusable. I tried the usual--restarting it, freeing up storage, removing apps--all to no avail. Finally, I cut off the flap with the magnet, shut the phone down and restarted it. Within 24 hours, my Note 3 was working perfectly. I have no idea why this company includes a magnet with any smartphone.

Politics - According to the Bible: A Comprehensive Resource for Understanding Modern Political Issues in Light of Scripture
Offered by HarperCollins Publishing
Price: $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed (and I've got a question for readers), October 18, 2013
Although I have a great deal of respect for Wayne Grudem (his Systematic Theology is the best I've ever read), I can't recommend "Politics." Grudem is out of his league. I won't go into a lot of specifics about the weakness of the book because other reviewers have done that. But I do have a question, and I would like anyone who has read the book to respond because I really am interested.

Are there any issues, major or minor, where Grudem disagrees with the Republican party?

I'm having a hard time finding one. If you can identify one, respond to this review, because I'd like to re-read that section of the book.

Here's what keeps popping into my feeble brain. It appears that Grudem's views on a huge number of topics are entirely in line with the Republican party. Grudem appears to be in lock step with Republicans, and not only on social issues like marriage and abortion, but on everything from cap and trade, MPG requirements for vehicles, global warming, drill-baby-drill!, economic growth, money supply, school vouchers, wire-tapping, military spending, dealing with terrorism, financial and military aid to other nations, etc.

In light of this fact, it seems legitimate to question whether Grudem is first adopting positions on these issues based solely on the party platform, and then cherry-picking Bible verses for support. If that charge is justified, then the title of this book is misleading, to say the least. And just being honest--I'm finding it hard to get my head around the idea that the Republican party has adopted the biblical position on every single issue under the sun. (Could you really read the Bible and come away thinking, "Yes, the Bible teaches that the Federal government should wire-tap conversations of American citizens without a warrant! That's so obvious!"). I was hoping to be challenged by this book. I wasn't.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 5:42 PM PDT

Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
by William P. Farley
Price: $11.69
105 used & new from $3.35

5.0 out of 5 stars This Needs to be Read by Christian Parents, November 17, 2009
Bill Farley has done the church a great service by writing "Gospel-Powered Parenting." He comes at the topic of parenting with a very solid biblical foundation and the wisdom of a thoughtful parent who has raised 5 children. For example, Farley asks the question--have you ever noticed that there are very few instructions in the NT regarding parenting? The reason for this, as he convincingly explains, is that although we as parents want techniques and tips, the reality is that the truths and promises of the gospel are what we really need in parenting our children. He writes about the necessity of new birth, the fear of God, discipline and the great need for parents to understand the character of God in His holiness and grace--and he does this in a fresh and interesting way.

I also appreciate and am extremely challenged by his emphasis on fathers. Think about children who grow up in Christian homes. Many of them live sort of nominal church lives, not too hot or cold, mostly lukewarm. Others leave the faith entirely and spend the rest of their days in rebellion against the Lord. Still other children raised in Christian homes grow into strong believers who are passionate about Jesus and live out their lives in godliness and wisdom. Understanding that God is absolutely sovereign, it's still necessary that we as parents ask: why is this? Farley's observation, and mine as well, is that the deciding factor is not education--public, private, or home-school. Instead, Farley writes, "The common denominator between success and failure seems to be the spiritual depth and sincerity of the parents, especially the spiritual depth and sincerity of the father." Parents, especially fathers, I strongly encourage you to read this book and think deeply about the gospel truths therein.

Jonathan Edwards: A Life
Jonathan Edwards: A Life
by George M. Marsden
54 used & new from $11.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Marsden Truly Understands Reformed Theology, July 22, 2005
I echo the other favorable reviews. A couple of things really struck me as I read this remarkable book about Edwards. One, this book deals not only with Edwards, but with the early 1700's in America, one of the most important turning points in world history. During Edwards' lifetime, rapid changes were taking place in the way people (Christians and non-Christians) thought about God and the world. This transition laid the groundwork for the American and French revolutions, and for the modernism and post-modernism of today. Although this book focuses on Edwards, it explains that remarkable period of time better than any I know of. George Marsden has an incredible ability to bring in huge amounts of information about the people, events, way of life, and worldviews of the early 1700's, and yet tell the story in a way that (as others have said) reads like a novel.

Two, Marsden understands Reformed/Calvinistic theology very well. This is vital to an understanding of Edwards because his life was first and foremost about his love for and understanding (logos) of God (theo). It is clear that Marsden, an historian, has spent a lot of time studying theology in general and the writings of Edwards in particular.

Particularly masterful is Marsden's discussion about the underlying theological assumptions held by both sides in the Lord's Supper controversy that eventually resulted in Edwards' removal from the pastorate at Northampton. He convincingly argues that the dominant theological view in the 1700's -- and which had begun to change during Edwards' lifetime -- was the result of a framework that saw little difference between the church and the community. To Solomon Stoddard (Edwards' grandfather and predecessor), the church and the community as a whole were virtually the same thing, much like OT Israel. The town of Northamptom was a "covenant community" where everyone had been baptized, and they all attended the one and only church in town. Thus, reasoned Stoddard, you must allow them to take communion unless there was a radical renouncement of the faith. To Edwards, on the other hand, the church was a group of people who were "holy" or "called out" from the world. And because of this view, just like Augustine's as expressed in the City of Man/the City of God, Edwards could not allow clearly unregenerate people to partake of the Lord's body and blood. This is just one example of the way that Marsden displays his deep grasp of Reformed theology.

The book was a pleasure to read. It shows Edwards for who he truly was: an intensely devout follower of Jesus Christ, a prolific writer, an orthodox theologian, a loving husband and father, an incredibly principled man, and probably (as some encyclopedias have called him) the greatest mind America has ever produced. And yet, he was a sinner who struggled with depression, pride, biases, and cultural assumptions of his day, and who made many, many mistakes and miscalculations.

Page: 1 | 2