Profile for M. Newman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Newman RSS Feed (Houston, Texas USA)

i-Blason PowerSlider Lightning iPhone 5 Rechargeable External Battery Glider Full Protection Case with Apple new 8 Pin Lightning Charging Connectors - AT&T, Sprint, Verizon (Black)
Offered by i-BLASON

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - battery life for an iPhone that rivals my old BlackBerry, January 25, 2013
__Pros__
* Literally DOUBLES the battery life of my iPhone 5 - I can now easily get through a whole day without worry. This was a major down-side iPhone versus BlackBerry, so now they're even.
* Charges with existing Lightning cable - no need for USB, will sync with iTunes, etc. - no extra overhead because of the case.
* Case has a 'kickstand' for viewing videos - a small thing, but a nice touch.
* Soft, rubberized exterior. It also provides some level of protection that my previous back-only case didn't really provide. I hope I don't drop my phone, but if I do, I'll feel at least a little more protected than before.
* No bigger than it needs to be - a very manageable size. This was another concern about buying a battery case and I'm very pleased with the size. My phone still fits in my shirt pocket or front pants pocket without issue.

Cons
* The only negative I can think of is that the cutout for the lock button on the top of the phone is somewhat small. It's harder to press the lock button and I wish they had made this cutout all the way to the front of the phone like the side cutout for teh volume/mute switch. But this is a minor quibble.

Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter for Nikon Digital SLRs
Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter for Nikon Digital SLRs
Price: $39.00
47 used & new from $26.96

2.0 out of 5 stars It'll be integrated into the camera by next year..., December 19, 2012
Ordered this with my new D3200 last week. The adapter is smaller than I thought it would be, which is good. But to leave it attached to the camera - with the side flap open while I'm shooting - it's just a non-starter. The iOS app is second-rate at best - Nikon has a lot of work to do there.

Come to find out, there's a company that makes WiFi-enabled SD cards ([...] It's the exact same idea, but it's integrated into the SD card, so it doesn't stick out of the camera. Going to have to check that out....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2012 3:50 PM PST

Fotasy NSQS Stainless Steel Screw with Fotasy Premier Cleaning Cloth for Quick Release Neck Strap, R-Strap (Silver/Black)
Offered by RainbowImaging
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for a trip to NYC, July 9, 2012
Purchased this screw-in adapter along with the "Quick Neck Shoulder Strap for Canon Nikon Sony Cameras" here on Amazon. The strap came with a larger "plate" adapter that also allowed for a tripod connection. I didn't need the tripod option, so went with this lighter screw-in adapter. Worked great!

WorthTrust Quick Neck Shoulder Strap for Canon Nikon Sony Cameras
WorthTrust Quick Neck Shoulder Strap for Canon Nikon Sony Cameras
Offered by Brotech
Price: $8.05
25 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for a trip to NYC, July 9, 2012
Purchased this strap after ready many of the reviews. Knowing that some had negative experiences, I was prepared for the D-ring to break or have other problems. I actually paried this strap with the "EzFoto Stainless Steel Screw for Quick Release Neck Strap". This little screw-in piece replaces the larger plate that comes with the strap itself. The plate allows for a tripod connection and the screw-in piece does not, but I was OK with that, and wanted to save weight.

The strap worked great while on a weekend trip to NYC. The camera stayed securely at my hip, without the long lens sticking out. When I wanted to take a picture, I just slid the camera up the strap and BOOM, instant photo. Note that the strap will not make your pictures turn out any better ;-) . My only complaint is that with the lens pointing down, some lenses will extend or zoom out just because of gravity. This is especially true with longer zoom lenses like Nikon's 20-200 model. In my case it wasn't an issue, but I see how it could potentially affect someone.

I would recommend this type of strap for someone looking to travel with a full size DSLR camera. But would also recommend looking at a simpler, lighter, screw-in mount as I mentioned above.

3.5-Ch Metal Indoor RC Helicopter S032G
3.5-Ch Metal Indoor RC Helicopter S032G
Offered by Amazing Tech Depot
Price: $28.38
28 used & new from $23.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value, works well, easy to fly, February 21, 2012
My sone has the SYMA S107 pocket-size copter and he really enjoys the indoor flying experience. I wanted something a little more "grown up" and ordered the S032. I thought about the S031 24" copter but opted for this one instead. I'm pleased. It's stable and easy to fly indoors. Outside, even the slightest wind carried it this way or that. The forward thrust is just not sufficient to overcome a slight headwind. I wonder if the larger S031 would be able to. Like the S107, be sure to order the spare parts kit. I've replaced the rotor shaft and various other parts on the S107 and repairs are relatively easy. My S032 already has a trim problem with the throttle that I need to diagnose and fix. But even with occassional issues, it's a great value for such a stable heli. Considering the times I've crashed it, it's pretty sturdy too! I recommend this for kids 9 and up and any grown-ups that still have a little kid left in 'em. :-)

zBoost YX-500 PCSCell Phone Signal Booster up to 2500 Square Feet of Coverage for Home or Office (1900 MHz Phones)

4.0 out of 5 stars From 0-1 bars to 3-4, no more dropped calls, October 1, 2007
I live in a 2 story stucco house with shingled roof. Under the shingles the builder put a "radiant barrier" material called Tek Shield (I think) with a reflective coating on the inside. This is good for insulation... but not so good for cell phone reception. Our home office is on the first floor and I could not make cell phone calls from this room reliably. Signal strength was 0-1 bars and dropped calls were frequent. Outside this room signal strength went up to 1-2 bars and obviously more as I moved outside.

I installed the antenna in the attic in a spot that yielded 3 bars, consistantly. I spend a lot of time making sure that the attic would provide sufficient signal strength versus mounting the antenna outside. The repeater module is in the study closet, behind a louvered door. I'm sure this blocks the signal some, but this is the only room that really caused problems. Now I get 3-4 bars and calls are clear - no drops since installation.

In summary, this product definitely fixed my problem. Signal strength would probably be better if the repeater was installed in a more centralized location, but that wasn't necessary here becuase I only really cared about one room. Putting the repeater in the closet also alleviated any "you're not mounting that on the ceiling in our living room!" type comments from The Boss. :-)

Panasonic KX-TG2570B 2.4 GHz DSS Cordless Phone with Answering System and Caller ID (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Major disappointment!, February 23, 2001
This is easily the coolest phone family on the market today. Great looks, top-notch technology, etc. I purchased this unit (with the TAD) with high hopes and found it to be very very very disappointing. Here's why: 1) The TAD is all digital and the quality stinks. The sound it significantly better from my old tape-based answering machine. I wonder if this is the same for all digital systems.... 2) The interfact is really counter-intuitive. For example, to deleted messages from the unit remotely, you have to hit 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1 (or something like that). The menu only lists one item at a time or "Hit 2 for more options...." Whoever thought of that should be shot. 3) You have to turn on a light to see how many messages you have. What happened to bright displays that glowed in the dark? Again, my old answering machine has this simple nicety.
The list goes on.... I'm returning this unit and putting my old tape-based answering machine back in service. Guess I'll have to shop for a new phone, too....

Cisco-Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch
Cisco-Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch
Offered by Infinity Parts
Price: $72.99
164 used & new from $3.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just like it should! Hurray for Linksys!, February 15, 2001
I'm a network administrator for a software company, so I didn't expect to have any problems setting up this unit. After a quick glance at the instructions (which seemed a little scant, but certainly passable) I was pluggin' and goin'. I was able to download a newer version of the firmware (the code that runs the unit) and configured everything in about 10 minutes. Couldn't ask for more, setup-wise. Perfect!
Linksys did include some "glossy" feature-pages regarding PPPoE hookup (for DSL users) and such. These seemed much more recent and much more user-friendly than the main instruction book. Perhaps they will revise all of the documentation to look this good.
After installation, I actually found that this router improved my DSL performance! Removing my PPPoE software (terrible EnterNet 300, yuck) and my firewall software (wonderful ZoneAlarm, I'll miss that great interface) took out some major processor overhead. For performance junkies like myself, I certainly *highly* this unit. Big time!
In conclusion, setup and installation rate about a 4 (out of 5). Easy, but I'm not the best judge of that due to my experience. Performance and support, an easy 5. Go Linksys go!