Profile for malloch > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

malloch RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
VMC SpinShot Drop Shot Hooks
VMC SpinShot Drop Shot Hooks
Price: $0.95 - $11.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for drop shots, no line twist., June 4, 2013
I haven't ordered these from Amazon but I have purchased 5-6 packs from Dick's, Wal-Mart, and Bass Pro Shops. They are great for people just starting out with drop shot fishing and haven't mastered tying a palomar knot and leaving a leader end for the weight. The built-in swivel eliminates line twist and keeps your lure where it should be. I'm a big fan of these. These are the only hooks I'll use for drop shots. The #2 size works great for nose-hooking Roboworms and I even picked up some 3/0 offset worm-style hooks for going with a weedless rigged craw on a drop shot. Good product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, looks great., March 7, 2013
This is a solid, all metal conversion. It's pricey compared to the $100 plastic kits but this is in a different class. There is a gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard that is well documented but it's there to give you a similar feel to an AR15. There is also ALOT of rail on the Tactical version. Which can come in handy but if I had to do it again I'd probably go with the Sport version and add rail where needed. The reason being is that this kit has the adjustable stock that's found on AR15's but there is no buffer and spring inside the tube(it's not needed) so the gun feels weighted towards the barrel and just a tad out of balance. I only notice it when holding the rifle, as soon as it's shouldered it's not noticeable. The built-in iron sights are high quality and it is very easy to install the kit. My only experience with working on guns has been cleaning them and this is easier than that. It fit my 10/22 perfectly with no play whatsoever. I'm a big fan of Troy for making this. Paired up with Battledyne Industries AR style 10/22 magazines and it's hard to tell this apart from my AR15.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Same issue as other reviewers, March 7, 2013
For the price, I suppose it was worth taking a shot on this item. It installs easily, seems like it should work, but as soon as you put the retainer pin back in it just will not completely slide forward to lock the magazine back in place. It seems to be affected by the size of the slot where the retainer pin passes through. I tried installing it, then pushing a very thin allen wrench all the way through the receiver and the release will slide all the way back and to its forward position. As soon as I put the thicker retainer pin back in and pull the release lever, it will not return to its forward position. So I got out the Dremel and tried enlarging the slot, adding lube, etc. No dice. Maybe it will work on your rifle but I'm in the same boat as some other people who've had issues.

Ade Advanced Optics AR 15 Front/Rear 45-Degree Rapid Transition BUIS Backup Iron Sight
Offered by zcygz
Price: $19.39
15 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Mounts perfectly on Stag Model 3., November 6, 2012
I love the concept of 45 degree BUIS's but just couldn't justify spending $250 for a set. I read the multiple reviews of issues with the front sight not mounting properly and it needing to be filed. Mine fit perfectly on a Stag Model 3. The rifle has the Diamondhead Versarail system but it's just a standard picatinny rail so either the issue is not affecting all units or they have corrected it. The screws are not the greatest but for less than $40, the price to quality ratio more than makes up for it. Also, I ordered these on a Friday and received them on Monday without any expedited shipping charges. That's going to the East coast too. Sure, it feels a little wrong going with a Chinese knock-off but if the domestic suppliers can't produce something even close to $100, then they are not realizing there is a market for 45 degree sights that are less than top-shelf quality. I'm not using them everyday in life/death situations. I'm putting holes in paper for fun. Perfect fit, perfect price, I'm happy.

Bern Brentwood Summer Helmet with Visor
Bern Brentwood Summer Helmet with Visor
Price: $56.25 - $84.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, June 16, 2012
So when I opened the package my first thoughts were that it looks better than I thought, it feels more expensive than it is, and I'm returning it since I ordered an XL and this is obviously a Small. But it turns out that Bern makes helmets for humans. Which is brilliant since most bike-riders are human beings. This is an amazing business strategy that the folks at Giro, Louis G. etc. should adopt and quit making brightly-colored footballs that you strap on top of your head. Until I put on the Bern helmet, I didn't have an issue with standard bike helmets. Now I do. Those things are the the equivalent of duct-taping a football on top of your skull. It's not a helmet, it's a cranium apparatus. This is a helmet. It fits over and around my head and it just feels right. All while being low-profile. It feels like a $150 helmet. It may be warmer than a standard helmet but summer is setting in so only time will tell. I really like this helmet so far and aesthetically I normally prefer standard bike helmets due to my conservative nature so I didn't buy it because it looks rad. I took a chance and I'm so glad I did. Standard bike helmets have always been uncomfortable but you just sucked it up because everyone else did too. The first time I put this helmet on, I said never again to the regular bike helmets. It just feels and fits the way a helmet should. Way to go Bern!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2012 6:49 AM PDT

Giro Feature Mountain Bike Helmet
Giro Feature Mountain Bike Helmet
Price: $39.67 - $76.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Huuuge and an odd fit., June 16, 2012
I really had high hopes for this helmet because I love the way it looks in pictures. I also have a Giro Indicator helmet so I expected the Feature to be a step up. I also bought it because I wanted a helmet that was the anti-bike helmet helmet. Basically I don't want to look like a dork. I will if I have to because safety is paramount but this helmet is "thick". Looks cool but it is very thick and from my friends feedback (and my own opinion but I was in denial because I wanted to like this helmet) was that it is even "dorkier" than the standard style bike helmet because it is so big. My road bike friend had a big laugh when he saw me wearing it. Aesthetics aside, it is not comfortable at all. It has a very strange fit as well. I've never had an issue with how a bike helmet fits because I don't expect it to be comfortable. But I do expect it to stay in place. The chin strap is thin for this price range as well. $30 helmets have better straps. My advice, buy only at a bike shop where you can see how thick and tall this helmet is and you try it on also. I really wanted to like it because it looks awesome online but after 3 weeks, I'm tired of the jokes about how big it is and I have a red spot where the helmet has rubbed my hair off. And it's on my forehead where your widow's peak would be. Other people seem to like it so it may work for you but also know this is the only negative review I've ever written.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2013 7:02 PM PDT

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital DSLR Camera
Price: $519.00
52 used & new from $299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised and impressed with this lens., June 10, 2012
I had planned on purchasing the Nikon 17-55 but scheduled a last minute vacation out of the country so I bought the Sigma 17-50 in order to have more funds for the trip. So it was a compromise. When I received the lens, I really wasn't that interested in using it since the excitement of getting the Nikon version was gone. I took a few test shots to confirm everything functioned and bagged it. A short background: I use it on a D7000 along with a 80-200 2.8 AF-S, 300 f4 AF-S, 105 F2 DC, Tamron 10-24, and a 50 1.8D. I had the Nikon 18-200 but sold it. So a mid-range zoom was missing. I normally live at the telephoto range anyways so it wasn't a huge priority. But the more I use this lens, the more it has impressed me and it has really changed the style of pictures I take. Most of what I do is dogs, sports, and wildlife. Usually the 80-200 stays on the camera and I maintain some distance from the subjects. The AF of the Sigma is not as fast as the 80-200 but almost. I can really get in close and capture much more emotion of the action with this lens. It went from a bag-stuffer lens to my favorite lens in 3 months. It's very versatile with HSM and Sigma's version of VR. There's not one thing it does perfectly but it's very good at everything. It can focus an inch in front of the lens and the focus accuracy of this lens has been very reliable. It has some little quirks such as less than ideal bokeh but I wouldn't expect this type of lens to have great backgrounds. It vignettes at 17mm but personally I like it. Lightroom has the lens profile correction for it so it's easily removed. The only other issue is that the focus ring does rotate opposite of Nikon lenses but you get used to it after awhile and don't even notice it. I will admit it was frustrating at first. If you are using the kit lens or an 18-200, I highly recommend this lens as an affordable alternative to the Nikon 17-55. It's very sharp and very reliable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2012 7:29 PM PDT

Sergeant's Vetscription 4-Ounce Benadene Hot Spot Skin Remedy Dog
Sergeant's Vetscription 4-Ounce Benadene Hot Spot Skin Remedy Dog
Price: $10.67
5 used & new from $5.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Best product for hot spots., June 3, 2012
I've been struggling with my dog's hot spots for 7 years and it's to the point he can no longer take steroids. This product has worked better than any spray, OTC or prescription, for handling his hot spots because it is a gel. It only takes a small amount and it stays on instead of running off his coat. It's particularly effective with hot spots that he scratches into an open sore. I'll apply some of the gel and by the next day a scab will form and the healing process begins. Without it, he will continue to scratch the sores open and will not let it heal. If your dog has hot spots it's the best product I've used.

Tamrac 5607 Ultra Pro 7 Camera Bag (Black)
Tamrac 5607 Ultra Pro 7 Camera Bag (Black)
Offered by Cameta Camera
Price: $89.95
12 used & new from $83.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this bag and the M.A.S. system., May 9, 2012
I didn't purchase this bag through Amazon but I like it enough to write a review. I did add some of the M.A.S. lens cases to my Amazon wishlist and got them for Christmas presents. This bag is great if you want a deep, shoulder style bag that can handle a camera body with a 70-200 zoom attached. I usually carry a 300mm prime in one side, a Nikon D7000 with 70-200 zoom attached in the center pocket, and a Sigma 17-50 with a Sb-600 flash on top of it in the other side pocket. If I'm wanting to carry everything, I'll attach the m.a.s. modular lens cases to the outer sides of the bag. I have the medium lens case which carries a 105mm prime and a smaller one that I'll put tele-converter and a 50mm prime in. Rarely do I carry this much gear but it can handle it if you need to. I prefer shoulder sling bags that you can pull your camera out quickly, without unzipping anything, and without having to scramble to attach a lens. The only thing this bag is missing is the velcro covers so you can open the top of the bag silently. Other than that, I love it and the modular accessories.

Clarks Men's Brattle Boot
Clarks Men's Brattle Boot

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly comfortable, incredibly short lived, April 2, 2012
I'll start this off by saying I loved these boots. They felt great, looked great, but they just didn't hold up. Not like a good pair of boots should. Mine held up for one year. The last few months I was using super glue to hold the front seam around the toe. The look is there, the comfort is there, the quality is not. That being said, I'm considering another pair.

Page: 1 | 2