Profile for Yankee Fan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Yankee Fan RSS Feed (New Jersey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000)
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000)
Price: $185.99
56 used & new from $159.00

5.0 out of 5 stars No muss, no fuss, May 10, 2014
My Netgear WGR614 router was finally starting to cause problems after many years of trouble-free service. My traffic load isn't great; 2 wired computers, Ooma and a couple of printers. On the wireless side, my Macbook, Slingbox, iPad, DVD player (Netflix), Roku, Android phone, and iPhone. In looking for a replacement, I decided to go high-end for a change as expect this router to be used for many years.

My obvious choice was the current top of the line Netgear router, the Nighthawk. I received it a few days ago and immediately set it up in about 15 minutes, including an upgrade to the latest firmware. I did turn off the 5GHz radio and am sticking with 2.5Ghz as 5GHz' speed advantage seem to be for devices that are close to the router. My Macbook was getting higher throughput on the 2.4Ghz network when compared to 5Ghz. So far, zero issues at all; other than buying more than I really needed, I am very happy with my purchase.

Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
by Deborah Feldman
Price: $16.94
333 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insight into Satmar Hasidim, August 26, 2012
Reading many of the one star critiques about the book, I sense a great defensiveness. Since Satmar hasidim aren't supposed to be reading secular books and they aren't supposed to be using computers, I assume that the reviews are coming from others.

No, the author is not critiquing other hasidic sects, nor is she critiquing Orthodoxy in general. The book is simply a memoir of her, so far short life. So, why the defensive backlash? Those people reflexively critiquing the book need to take a look in the mirror.

The book is a good, quick read, but as others have suggested, they end seems hastily written and much of the last couple of years is left out, as if she was trying to made a deadline for getting the book out. She does not wax philosophically in the book; she is simply relaying her experiences and perceptive as a girl and young woman in the sect.

The most interesting parts of the book for me, by far are her explaining the mindset of her Zayde. His background goes back to the founding of the Satmar sect in the US and it is similar to other cults. The leader has an explanation for the holocaust; G-d was punishing the Jews for not being strict enough in following his laws; the only way to prevent a holocaust is to be even holier. His initial adherents, survivors of the holocaust follow him, are fruitful, and multiply. Yet, while they follow the letter of the law more closely, much has gone by the wayside in following the spirit of the law. The major split between the sect with respect to the leader of the sect following the death of their Rebbe is mentioned in passing, but is a symptom of this. Although I may disagree with her grandfather and his blind adherence to the teachings of the Grand Rebbe, he seems to be a much holier man than the Rabbis fighting to be the next leader the sect.

Lior Roasted And Salted Sunflower Seeds , 7 Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)
Lior Roasted And Salted Sunflower Seeds , 7 Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)
Price: $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent flavor, June 12, 2012
These sunflower seeds are larger and more flavorful than the big name brand jumbo sunflower seeds. As another reviewer posted, there is an abundance of salt on the shell, but that doesn't detract from the great taste. Warning: they are extremely addictive!

Laughing at Wall Street: How I Beat the Pros at Investing (by Reading Tabloids, Shopping at the Mall, and Connecting on Facebook) and How You Can, Too
by Chris Camillo
Price: $20.81
42 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but nothing new and much filler, December 30, 2011
Lot's of useful advice on how you individual investors can make money on Wall Street by using some common sense and basic knowledge. Nothing that I read was new, though. I skimmed over a good chunk of the book. Somehow I couldn't get over the feeling that much of the book is filler; it could easily have been written in half the pages and gotten the same points across.

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $2,396.95
43 used & new from $1,140.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Weighs a ton, July 21, 2011
This is a great lens. No doubt about it. But, before purchasing, please make sure that you pick up a copy and feel how heavy it is. It feels like it weighs a ton. I guarantee that unless you absolutely need to take this lens along, it will not be going out with you very often.

Panasonic KX-TG6583T DECT 6.0 PLUS Link-to-Cell Bluetooth Cordless Phone Solution with 3 Handsets

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets me take cell phone calls in the basement, December 7, 2010
The primary purpose for purchasing this cell phone was to be able to get and make cell phone calls all around the house, including in the basement. I get only fair cell phone reception in my house. What I did was place the base of this unit and my cell phone (when I am home) in the location that gets the best cell reception. The base and my cell phone connect via Bluetooth. Now, I am able to take cell phone calls anywhere in my house on my cordless handsets. A good feature is the transfer of my cell phone's address book to the base. That allows for the caller-id to show and speak the name that I have in my phone's address book on incoming cell calls.

One question that I had prior to purchasing, which wasn't well answered, was whether you could make/take a cell phone call on one handset while making/taking a land-line call on another unit. Well, the answer is yes.

My wife isn't in love with the talking caller-id. It eventually can get on your nerves and the pronunciation is often poor. But, I am fine with it; I may soon turn it off to make her happy.

This is my 3'rd Panasonic cordless phone set. They are the best brand in cordless phones. I've used Vtech in the past. While they are good phones, the ones that I had weren't made to last; the Panasonics are.

Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS
Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS
Offered by TechnoDealsUSA
Price: $95.00
16 used & new from $48.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine drive, nicely packaged, December 7, 2010
Not much to say. The drive was what I expected and it was nicely packaged. I only use "green" drives for functionality that doesn't require a high level of performance (speed) such as for backups. This drive is doing the job for me. Once a week, I take it off the shelf and plug it into a dock to take a full backup of my system. 2TB is sufficient capacity to store multiple weeks worth of backups.

Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive
Offered by Databug
Price: $139.90
20 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drives, nicely packaged, missing jumpers, December 7, 2010
Not much to say; the drives are what I expected and they were well packaged. Just be aware that these drives, by default transfer at 6Gb/sec. If you connect them to a motherboard that only supports the 3Gb/sec standard, you can jumper a couple of pins to make the drive transfer at 3Gb/sec, matching the motherboard. The pins that need to be jumpered are shown on the drive's label. The only problem is that the jumpers don't come with the drive, as this is an OEM unit. Good thing, I have a supply of parts, which included the necessary jumpers.

LG BD570 Network Blu-ray Disc Player (2010 Model)
LG BD570 Network Blu-ray Disc Player (2010 Model)
5 used & new from $48.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Control, December 7, 2010
As I was taking my new Blu-ray Disk Player out of the box, the front flap/cover of the player just popped off. So, I tried to see if I could pop it back on. But, that was impossible as as couple of the parts that the flap connected to on the player were broken off. The packaging/box for the player seemed in excellent shape. So, in my opinion, the front flap must have been broken off before the player was even packaged at the factory. This is a sign of poor quality control. I didn't even bother plugging it in. Off it goes back to Amazon. Hopefully the next one that I get will be fine. I will update the review when I get the replacement.

Blue Man Group - The Complex Rock Tour Live
Blue Man Group - The Complex Rock Tour Live
DVD ~ Blue Man Group
Price: $9.98
104 used & new from $0.25

2.0 out of 5 stars See them live, February 28, 2009
I saw Blue Man Group in a small theater live and loved them. This DVD, though, I thought was a complete bore. Skip the DVD and watch them live.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3