Profile for K. Welch > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Welch RSS Feed

Sabriel (Old Kingdom)
Sabriel (Old Kingdom)
by Garth Nix
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.71
231 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far My Favorite Book, October 19, 2005
When my friend told me how good this book was, I started reading it right away, though I must admit that I lacked her enthusiasm. Two days later I had finished the book and was begging her for the second in the series. I have never read a book that grabbed at my imagination the way that Sabriel has done. Even now, several years after the first time I read the book, the mere mention of it makes me want to run home and read it again. Which I do often- I just read it again last weekend.

Though this book is meant for young readers, I would recommend it to anyone. Whether they are fantasy readers or not. Garth Nix's ability to bring his readers into his world, I think, is unparalleled, even by the likes of J.K. Rowling.

A brief synopsis: Sabriel is about to leave the school whare she has spent most of her 18 years, when a messenger from the realm of death brings news that something horrible has happened to her father, Abhorsen. Sabriel must now leave the land she knows, Anncelstierre, and cross into the Old Kingdom, where magic and sorcery, not mechanics and logic, rule the land. With the help of a free magic being trapped in the body of a cat named Mogget, as well as some unexpected friends, Sabriel must try and save her father, while using her unusual sword and bells to bind the increasingly dangerous dead creatures that seek to destroy the Old Kingdom.

Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories
Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories
by Garth Nix
85 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Twist on Some Old Tales, August 17, 2005
I loved reading this new collection of stories. The newer takes on the classic stories made them fun to read again, while the small glimpse back into the world of Ancelstierre and the Old Kingdom gave me another taste of one of the best series' that I've read. Garth Nix' style of writing in all of the stories in this book made me want to read the whole thing cover to cover in one sitting, and the personal introductions for each tale helped to make me feel a little closer to each story. For anyone who has read the Abhorsen trilogy, this book is a must, if only for the short look back into the world that Nix created with the previeous three books. I must admit, though, I felt a little teased with the story of Nick and his new adventure when it ended so quickly, but the other stories more than made up for my longing of the Old Kingdom.