Profile for D. Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Smith RSS Feed (Columbia, MD USA)

Ozeri Deluxe Milk Frother and Whisk in Stainless Steel with Stand and 4-Frothing Attachments
Price: $22.22
8 used & new from $19.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Frothing tip falls out constantly, October 12, 2013
I REALLY like this product, but the tip I need most, the milk frothing tip, doesn't fit tightly and falls out constantly making the product nearly useless for me. The package came with two so I tried the second frothing tip and it was really right for about a month, now it falls right out too. It's too late to return the product so I'm stuck with a great unit with crappy tips. If not for this issue, I'd give it 5 stars!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 8:22 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good dispenser, September 29, 2013
Purchased two of these for my wife's cafe. One is used for the hand sink and the other in the restroom. They work great and have never failed us even with constant use. The feature to drop the nearly finished roll to the back and place a new roll to start when the old roll is spent is a must-have feature and is wonderful.

This is a touch-less dispenser with a manual pull. No batteries or power is required. It's touch-less in that it doesn't require the dispenser to be touched at all. Just pull the exposed portion of the towel and it cuts and feeds the next portion.

The only thing I wish is for the towels to be lower in cost. Everyone charges way too much for the rolls, but that is in no way the fault of this dispenser.

I highly recommend this dispenser.

Casio Men's MTGM900DA-8 G-Shock Stainless Steel Tough Solar Atomic Digital Watch
Price: $89.90
5 used & new from $89.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler than expected..., January 3, 2013
This is a brand new watch from Casio in their G-Shock line. It's an upgrade to the MTG900DA-8v. The biggest differences are the "Time Memo" function in the older version is replaced with a much more functional and desirable "Countdown Timer," and this new version sports a 6-band receiver in place of the older single band receiver. This means the watch can receive signals from all over the world rather than just in the US making this version the best choice from world travelers.

As a note to those reading some of the negative, battery related reviews on the old version, PLEASE READ the manual. It has plenty of relevant and useful info related to how the battery is charged, how it's drained, how long it takes to charge under various types of light, etc. Turning on every possible function will, of course, drain the battery faster. Then putting in under a shirt or coat sleeve will not allow it to charge. Even partially covered, some or all of the solar cells may be blocked. The dark areas around the face are actually 6 solar cells; 2each at the top/bottom and one each on the sides. They are all required to properly charge the battery.

When I received this watch, it was fully charged and last sync was on 12/24. I got it on Jan. 2 and it was about 2 seconds fast. That means it gained about 2 seconds/week which is less than the tolerance of 15 seconds/month if not synced for that long. It attempts to sync up to 6 times/day in all but China where it will try 5 times/day. In any case, once it successfully syncs for the day, it will not do it again until the next day. I followed the clear instructions to manually sync it rather than wait for the next cycle and it got it to within a fraction of a second. The sync cycle can take 2 to 7 minutes and syncs both time and date data, if available from the sync source. In the USA, both are provided.

The band is the standard folder clasp style and comes large enough to fit most guys. I removed 3 links to fit my wrist. There's a clasp adjustment within a half link for variations is weather and swelling/contraction of the wrist. Nice feature. The clasp overall seems secure and requires depressing buttons on either side so it's not likely to just come undone during normal activities.

Some people have complained about some plastic parts on the case. The base structure is metal and the plastic is there. However, it appears that the plastic is strategically placed so as to help protect the case and face from shock or other bumps/bruises. Also, the crystal is recessed significantly so it would be protected from the typical brushing against anything that might scratch it. This is an important point considering it's got solar collection cells in there that must not be obstructed.

The warranty is one year. I'd hoped it would be longer for a watch of this price. However, my experience with Casio products has been good enough for me to buy without worrying too much.

Overall, I'm really pleased and hope to have this watch for many years. My old Timex broke awhile back and I've been searching for something worthy of my time and money. I think I found it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2013 6:22 PM PDT

Fla-Vor-Ice FRSS16PDQ-8CH 16-Ounce Snow Cone Syrup, Cherry
Fla-Vor-Ice FRSS16PDQ-8CH 16-Ounce Snow Cone Syrup, Cherry
Price: $8.79
5 used & new from $8.58

1.0 out of 5 stars How much!?, May 29, 2012
I'm utterly shocked at the price of this 16oz bottle. I purchased exactly the same item at my local target store for $2.69. Same exact 16oz bottle of syrup in cherry, strawberry, blue raspberry, watermelon, etc.

Do not buy this online here!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2013 1:35 PM PST

Generac Guardian Series 5875 20,000 Watt Air-Cooled Liquid Propane/Natural Gas Powered Standby Generator With Transfer Switch (CARB Compliant) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Has done the job a few times in the short months since installation, March 8, 2012
I purchased this generator right after being without power for more than 10 days following hurricane Irene that swept up the east coast in the summer of 2011. With the cost of using my portable at 1/2 load for about $35/day and calculating I could have run the whole time at maximum load on this thing for about $35, it was a no-brainer. With my job requiring me to have lots of computer equipment running 24/7, I can't afford to be without power at all.

I researched thoroughly before purchasing and found I needed 5ft clearance of any opening in the house and needed a pad to place it on that was at least 18in. from the house and 3ft clearance on either side. Also needs 3ft clearance in front of the transfer switch. The pad needs to be 6in. larger on each side than the generator and at least 5in deep crushed stone or pea gravel. There's a poly-pad included that can be set directly on top of the stone. Some people opt to pour a concrete pad. Please do yourself a favor and find out what your local code requirements are BEFORE deciding to make any large purchase.

NOTE: This is a heavy unit and weighs in at nearly 500lbs. Don't even think you can handle placing this unit by yourself. Takes 4 men and a gorilla to get it properly placed.

I also determined that my gas line was only 3/8" and could not supply enough gas to run the generator alone much less my water heater and furnace. This generator is rated at 294,000 BTU/hr. That's the same as 294 CFH. The typical home is fitted with a 250 CFH gas meter and supply line. So... I asked the gas company about an upgrade. Turns out to the the upgrade, it would cost me about $5,000. The next hurtle was how to get around this ridiculous cost just so the gas company could sell me more gas. Turns out that to qualify for a "FREE" upgrade, I needed standard household appliances that required more gas. I have an electric range but running the gas line all the way to the other end of the house was also too expensive. However, since I had a 50gal. water heater that my kids always run out when showering (and leaving me to freeze), I decided on a tankless water heater that requires 199,000 BTU/hr or 199 CFH. Bingo! With the requirement to run 199 CFH for the water heater and 125 CFH for the furnace, I was over the limit that the gas meter and supply line to deal with. Free upgrade!

I let the company I purchased the water heater from (researched like crasy and bought a Rinnai heater) run the extra gas line for the generator and saved about $1,000 over having a gas plumber do just the generator. I'd have run the lines myself but couldn't pull the permits myself for the gas line.

Next, I needed to pull electric permits. Why? If I used a simple sub-panel transfer switch rather than the service rated whole-house switch I needed (included with this unit), I've have ignored the permits and done the work myself. I'm an engineer but not licensed as an electrician. However, to wire in this transfer switch, it must go between the electric meter and the main breaker panel. That means the meter must be pulled requiring the electric company to get involved in resealing it (the law). I have a friend who's a licensed electrician that pulled the permits and let me do the work. He looked over it before calling the inspector. By the way, I talked to the chief inspector first to make sure he didn't have a problem with me doing the work myself under the supervision of a licensed electrician. He had no problem with it but check with your inspector first. The rules vary widely.

Once it was all done, I called Generac and got someone on the phone in about 2 minutes. The guy walked me through the startup and activation sequence. I could have done it easily on my own but I was told by a friend that an authorized installer must do the activation or the warranty would be void. I wanted to confirm this with Generac and was told the homeowner can do it just fine without any warranty issues at all.

I tested it all out at max load and was really satisfied with the switch's performance and the stability of the generator. Nine days later we had a power outage lasting several hours and this thing kicked right in and kept everything running. There's a delay of 10 seconds before starting the engine to make sure it's not just a "blink" on the power lines. Then about 5 seconds for the engine to come up to speed before the transfer switch kicks the load over to the generator. Total time to transfer is about 15 seconds. When the main power is restored, it waits about a minutes and then transfers it back, runs another minute to cool the engine and shuts itself off.

The generator runs a low-speed self exercise once each week for about 12 minutes. This is to ensure proper operation and to keep the starter battery charged. I did have a problem with it after about 4 months where it would stall out sometimes and throw an error about the RPM sensor. I called a local Generac service dealer who came right out evn though I didn't purchase from them or have them install it. They checked it out and had me running again within a day. No charge since it's covered under warranty. All I had to do was give them the model and serial numbers when I first called so they could verify it with Generac.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with this unit and would highly recommend it to anyone requiring backup power for the whole house.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 4:40 PM PST

Mini Wireless N 802.11n/g WiFi Hotspot Router for 3G UMTS/HSDPA USB Mobile Broadband Modem

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product... IF I can get it working, April 16, 2010
This products looks great on paper. Arrived today and can't get it to work in any configuration. It powers up just fine but can't connect to configure it using the supplied software. Tried everything (I'm an engineer so I know very well what I'm doing) but it's getting the better of me. Will try tech support if I can find out how to contact, otherwise it gets returned. I will update this review if I get it working, or even if I return it. I really hope I can get it to work, it would be perfect for my needs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2010 3:59 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll see..., December 23, 2005
After reading the reviews and opinion of so many, I have this to say, "why bother writing a review if it's not from your OWN experience?" So many of the reviews written here are "based" on Consumer Reports or some other source. What a waste of web space.

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I'll go on with my two cents worth. I'm getting one for Christmas. Although I don't have it yet, I have some confidence that it'll work well. I was recently in a Hecht's store and saw a unit coming out the box and set up for display. When I went back the next day, I looked around to see if anyone was looking and then turned it off and pulled the plates. They were pretty gross. I wiped my finger across one and slid it back inside. I checked back later that night and that spot was dirty once again.

Ok, so there's a lot of traffic in that area. But if this thing is left to run in my bedroom where it can gently circulate some air and get equally dirty, that will be nice.

I'm anxious to get my unit and try it out. I have pretty bad asthma that I struggle to control at times. I also suffer from really bad migraines (have ended up in the ER more than once). I'll give this thing a fair chance and report back soon.

My dad (74 years old) has one in his apartment. He says the thing is really great and does much better than he expected. I'm going to be asking him some pretty detailed question on it's operation and effects. I'll report those back here as well.

For those of you who think I'm wasting my time, I will be getting a gift receipt just in case. Also, I'll be getting a free ozone test kit so I can test this thing for myself and not reply on someone else's jaded opinion. The International Association of Air Cleaner Manufacturers (IAACM), a not-for-profit trade association, offers free ozone test kits to consumers so they can test their own air purifiers for ozone production. To get a free test kit, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to IAACM, P.O. Box 9048, Whittier, CA 90608-0948.

**********************
Dec. 27 update

Well, so far not one problem to report. After a few days running, it's collected a pretty good amount of crud on the plates that wipes off easily.

No headaches. Can breathe much easier and no stuffy nose! Especially noticeable in the morning when I get up!

One thing worth mentioning: it seems all the new units now come with a free OzoneGuard attachment that converts any ozone back into breathable oxygen. I think the largest units have it built in.

My personal opinion: it's a nice product. A bit on the expensive side, but I think it's worth it.