Profile for Jim D > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 54

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jim D RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
Price: $123.99
144 used & new from $80.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Easy Plug & Play with ATT DSL wireless router/modem, February 26, 2015
Setting up this router has been the most frustrating experience I've ever had. The Quick Internet Setup WIzzard GUI took me down a pathway regarding setting up detailed internet parameters even the AT&T internet service tech I was working with could not answer. My setup experience was nothing like the multiple YouTube videos ASUS has for "easily" setting up this device. I don't know if it is an outdated firmware problem or something else as I can't now even get to the router Web GUI interface.

Note I've installed several other manufacturer's routers on my system in the past with no problem. The tech and I finally managed to establish a wired and wireless connection using the computer's internet setup, but I only have ONE frequency connection and don't even know if it is 2.4 or 5 GHz. And since we can't figure out how to get back into the web setup GUI I have no ability to modify or set any other router parameter or see what the current setup status is. The alternate web address to access the GUI interface doesn't seem to work. The only reason I am continuing to use this router is because my wife needs it for work in the near term.

I sent off an email to ASUS support explaining my problem. I'm waiting to see what the response is and will update accordingly.

Update - Finally managed to briefly access the router web page using 192.168.2.1 and updated the firmware hoping that would fix the bug preventing me from getting to the router web page. After powering the router off/on to reboot I still couldn't get back to the router web page to setup. Tried 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.0.1 from both wired and wireless computer connections. Nothing worked. Router seems to work find otherwise. It is automatically switching between 2.4 & 5 GHz to get the best signal. However my only ability to crudely set it up was from the wired computer network settings. At least I have WPA2 security for now. I considered also doing a factory reset after the latest firmware was installed, but doubt that is going to fix this problem.

3/2/15 Update - Two days later received an email response back from Asus support which basically said check the connections are correct, factory reset the router and try again. Didn't work. After extensive online research on ATT's support pages and various router forums, figured out the problem is that one router simply can't be plugged into another. Like two people trying to lead while dancing they wind up stepping on each other's toes.

Apparently there are three possible solutions. a) disable the router/wireless function in the ATT box and have it just serve as a bridge. b) disable the router function in the Asus box and just have it work as a wireless/wired access point. c) buy a new dedicated dsl modem only from ATT. For a) it appears from what I've read it appears option a) is easier said than done, plus I really don't want to reconfigure a box for which I don't have a detailed operator's manual. For b) this change would effectively neuter much of the router functionality of the ASUS box. It would now be a dumb wireless connection access point, but it would provide the wireless range for which I purchased it. For c) it would entail not only paying $75 more but having to go through reestablishing a connection and account with ATT.

For now it seems I stumbled into setting up the Asus box as an access point which provides secure basic wireless connectivity, but nothing else. Using the network from a Hawking wireless adapter I had hooked up to one old laptop, I was able to finally determine the new IP address assigned to the Asus box. With this info I finally was able to get into the setup screens, change the admin password and set other security features. However, it shouldn't be this difficult to set up this router for ATT dsl service and existing ATT router.

Given ATT is the second largest internet provider in the US, I can only wonder why Asus hasn't provided detailed instructions with this router for connecting to an existing ATT dsl modem/router/wireless box which many ATT users have. The 100 page clearly written instruction book I received with my prior Netgear router puts to shame the few cryptic pages of setup instructions that came with this Asus router.

On the positive side, this router has much better range and speed than the Netgear N600 it replaced. Hasn't dropped any connections yet.

3/5/15 Update - Finally managed to figure out the new default gateway for this router by using some network analysis software that came with a Hawking wireless adapter on an older laptop. Hence, now able to set the admin password and other security/network features. Email support from Asus was about a two day turnaround for the several communications I had with them. Support was fairly useful, but clearly not real time. Router performance is very good. For that reason have upgraded review to 3 stars. The 4 page instruction booklet that comes with this superior piece of hardware is simply pathetic. If you don't luck out with an easy installation, it is a scavenger hunt to try to figure out how to get it operational.

Hawking Technology Hi -Gain Wireless-150N USB Network Adapter with Range Amplifier (HAWNU1)
Price: $29.29
57 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the Prettiest but Boy Does It Pull in Wireless Signals, August 29, 2014
I first tried a comparable Belkin wireless network adapter which I couldn't even get to work. All it came with was a CD rom and no other instructions or help line. By comparison this Hawking adapter came with an instruction booklet a sheet outlining multiple ways of getting technical support as well as the CD rom. No problem loading it onto my Windows XP.

What is impressive is the very comprehensive operation monitoring which is build into the display screen. This is a product truly designed by engineers and not a marketing dept looking for the smallest, slick profile eith no real capabilities to wow the naive customer. That big old antenna sticking out may not look as attractive but it does a hell of a job pulling in signals combined with the range amplifier.

This device picks up some 12 other wireless networks from my home whereas the build in wireless in my other three computers can detect no more than 5 other networks. Unfortunately my old computer can't even begin to keep up with the bandwidth of this Hawking adapter.

HP 14-q070nr 14-Inch Chromebook (free T-Mobile 4G)
HP 14-q070nr 14-Inch Chromebook (free T-Mobile 4G)
5 used & new from $250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My Second Chromebook I can now use on the road, August 5, 2014
I've got a smaller screen Samsung Chromebook which has served me well for checking e-mail, maps, watching videos and other light applications. However, I was looking for 4G connectivity and a larger screen for real time map and other access while house hunting. The HP Chromebook I got from WOOT fits the bill. I'm impressed with the solid construction of this device relative to my existing Samsung Chromebook. Boot up speed is excellent and in the hot coral color not likely to be easily misplaced or lost. Given I'm 60+ I didn't want a tiny screen smart phone I could barely see for mobile web access. If I just want to make a call I use my existing Motorola Razr cell phone which has much better voice reception than any new jack of all trades master of none $600 smart phone I've checked out, easily fits in my pocket, and doesn't shatter when inevitably dropped. The 200 MB Free 4G suffices to check my email when leaving the HP in my car or taking along on plane/train trips.

Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System 8-piece Plus Package
Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System 8-piece Plus Package
Price: $259.95
13 used & new from $220.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, but Quality System, August 5, 2014
To say the least I was quite skeptical about buying a security system online and with a DIY installation. But now having had the chance to check it out, I'm quite impressed relative to the much higher priced, but technologically inferior options out there. Plus DIY installation is simple and saves a bundle.
The customer support is EXCELLENT. I've had a number of questions all of which were answered to my satisfaction by email or phone within a day. When some of the additional components I ordered were lost because the package tore open during Fed Ex's typically abusive handling, they were resent to me without any hassle.

A few suggestions:
1. Use Lithium Ion batteries in the Alarms as they will last much longer and mount the Alarms high or outside where intruders will have a difficult time reaching them . The Lithium may cost more but it is well worth it in terms of security and time saved changing batteries. Also get multiple alarms both for indoor and outdoor installation.
2. Put the base unit where intruders can't easily get to it. Perhaps mounting in the attic where it will also have better cell signal.
3. Don't use the tiny screw provided with most components. They wont hold well in plaster board. Get some decent size screws particularly for mounting alarms outdoors under the roof line for protection from weather and sun.
4. Cover all the entry points with motion sensors. The entry sensors aren't of much use if the glass is broken and the window not opened. Do use the entry sensors on interior doors so an intruder will trigger them as they move from a room out to the rest of the house. They wont be expecting sensors on internal doors.

Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900
Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900
Price: $15.99
112 used & new from $12.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Choices Available, May 16, 2014
Quiet with decent airflow at all speeds. Plastic wont corrode like some metal cage fans. Somewhat attractive relative to the competition. Just hope it lasts.

Massey 9 inch High Velocity Fan
Massey 9 inch High Velocity Fan
Offered by Support for Missions
Price: $32.92
19 used & new from $21.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Buzzing and Rattling, May 16, 2014
Powerful fan but noisy. At high speed fan tends to buzz irratically like a bee. At low speed some rattling. Ocassionally it also droned. Not a good choice if you want some quiet airflow when sleeping. Design seems really dated with no attempt at smooth air flow streamlining. Don't believe rubber feet will last long given the small screws holding them in. Its not terrible, rather that there are better choices in the same price range. I returned this fan the day after purchasing.

Samsung a157V (AT&T)
Samsung a157V (AT&T)
6 used & new from $27.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor SIgnal Reception a Major Shortcoming, April 5, 2014
For the price seems like a fairly solid phone with a good feel to it. Like the multiple alarm features and a decent voice message recorder.

First tried putting my known good Consumer Cellular sim card in and see if it worked. It didn't. Then tried the unlock procedure and inserted my sim card again. The phone still didn't work. Got a "sim not allowed M#3" error message the same as other reviewers have noted. Re-inserted the sim card and re-entered the unlock codes several times to ensure I hadn't made a mistake.

Note a few web sites I visited questioned the validity of the unlock procedure for the a157V model which apparently is an upgrade of the a157 for which the unlock procedure does seem to work.

Will be calling Consumer Cellular to see if I can get it to work. Otherwise it's going back to Amazon.

Update - Spoke with CC technical support. They say I should be able to insert their sim card into an ATT phone, including this GO phone, and it should work as ATT phones are unlocked. Which obviously it didn't. This suggests the phone itself doesn't work. So back it goes to Amazon.

Next time I'll try it out in a Best Buy store to confirm it works before I buy.

Update 2 - Went to Best Buy and had a tech support rep try out my SIM card in still another new out of the box a157 phone. Again didn't work. So now CC is sending me a new SIM card to try out. Best Buy cell phone tech support rep says this phone comes unlocked and is purchased by many of their customers who travel overseas. Will update again when I get the new SIM card.

Update 3 - At first it still didn't work when I installed the new SIM card. However, through experimentation I finally figured out the problem was this phone's VERY POOR SIGNAL SENSITIVITY. Finally had success where the signal outside was strong. Note there was no need to "unlock" a new phone I had obtained. The net is I'm saving this phone as a backup and still using my nearly 10 year old Motorola phone which has no problem picking a signal up inside my home.

Twelve (12) Black Microfiber Cleaning and Storage Pouch / Sack / Cases for Sunglasses and Eyeglasses
Offered by MotoGroup
Price: $9.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Quality Than Expected, September 7, 2013
Very large size will accommodate even goggles. Sturdy material and sewing. Would expect to pay $3+ each in retail store. Good value.

Bemis 800EC000 Plastic Round Toilet Seat with Easy Clean and Change Hinge, White
Price: $18.88
27 used & new from $14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling Foolish About a Toilet Seat?, August 14, 2013
PROS

-Easy installation and a snap to pop off for cleaning.
-No metal parts to rust or corrode.
-All smooth continuous surfaces with no crevices where crud can collect.
-Easily wiped cleaned. Just don't use abrasive or harsh cleaners.
-Has some flex to cushion your butt when you sit down.
-If you are too heavy flex is limited by seat being compressed down to toilet rim for support.
-Flat seating surface provide more support than most rounded top wooden seats.
-Light lid is easy to lift.
-Covers toilet rim completely for a nice clean modern look.

CONS

-Feeling foolish that a toilet seat would would impress me so much.

Mann-Filter HU 921 X Metal-Free Oil Filter
Mann-Filter HU 921 X Metal-Free Oil Filter
Price: $8.76
15 used & new from $6.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, April 24, 2013
At first I was concerned about there not being some sort of metal shield surrounding the filter element, but having used several of these filters they seem to work just fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6