Profile for Med Student > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Med Student RSS Feed

The Modern  Essentials--Mechanical Butterfly Corkscrew
The Modern Essentials--Mechanical Butterfly Corkscrew
Price: $10.05
10 used & new from $8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price; great corkscrew, July 11, 2013
You can easily spend way more on a corkscrew than you really need to. This butterfly corkscrew is easy to use, has been durable so far, and is at a great price. I'm sure there are "fancier" versions out there, but for regular bottle-opening use, this one is solid!

Ophthalmology Secrets in Color, 3e
Ophthalmology Secrets in Color, 3e
by James F. Vander MD
Price: $50.18
28 used & new from $44.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Will help you impress attendings; detail-heavy, July 11, 2013
I really like this book a lot. I definitely impressed attendings (especially in pediatric and neuro-ophthalmology) with what I gained from this book.

Pros:
Color pictures (an absolute must for studying)
Q&A format -- similar to questions you might be asked by attendings/residents
Divided into sections so you can focus on whatever sub-specialty you're currently rotating on
More detailed than many other basic ophthalmology books
Fairly easy to read
Many chapters are really good, but the chapter on strabismus surgery is absolutely outstanding!

Cons:
In some areas the books is perhaps a little too detailed (e.g. treating AV patterns of strabismus is a fairly advanced concept for medical students according to one pediatric ophthalmologist I worked with)
But in other areas, the details are not always explained very well (especially considering most readers of this book are at least fairly new to ophthalmology; for example, the explanation and diagram for the circle of least confusion (regarding astigmatism) was not explained very well in my opinion).
Some treatments are not fully up-to-date (e.g. Avastin is a very common treatment for retinopathy of prematurity now, but laser photocoagulation is still listed as the preferred treatment in this book).

Overall, a great book for the rotation. I used Basic Ophthalmology (Cynthia Bradford) and The Eye Examination Manual (Leitman) as the "overview" books for my rotation as they are shorter and quicker reads. But I read multiple chapters in this book for more in-depth knowledge of the specific subspecialties in which I rotated. I plan to use this book on my away rotation as well. Personally, I recommend using The Eye Examination Manual and/or Basic Ophthalmology the first week or so of your ophtho rotation and then advancing to this one for the last 2-3 weeks to gain deeper knowledge and further impress attendings/residents.

Manual for Eye Examination and Diagnosis
Manual for Eye Examination and Diagnosis
by Mark W. Leitman
Price: $76.34
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Use first week of ophtho rotation, July 11, 2013
This book offers a quick overview of the most common ocular pathologies. I highly recommend it for rotating medical/healthcare students. It packs an unbelievable amount of detail into a small book and thus is good as both an introduction to ophthalmology as well as a quick 5-10 minute morning review of whatever subspecialty you're rotating in that day (e.g. retina, neuro-ophthalmology, etc.). For my rotation, I tried to read this entire book during the first week of ophthalmology (totally doable) as it helped me to quickly grasp what was going on in the clinic and allowed me to discuss things intelligently with my attendings.
I do agree with the other reviewer that you probably want to supplement this book with something else if you are really trying to impress on your rotation (I recommend something more like Ophthalmology Secrets for that). But I think this book can carry you through the first week of the rotation and be a great resource for you to review throughout the entire rotation.
Two final notes: 1) This book has lots of PICTURES!!! Cannot emphasize how great that is for such a visual field (no pun intended). 2) Buy this book used as I cannot even fathom paying $60+ for such a small book (even though it is great quality!). If you need quick shipping, just pick a seller who is Amazon Prime eligible (and thus can ship in 1-2 days if needed).
Hope this helps and good luck on learning about ophthalmology!

INSANITY Fast and Furious DVD Workout
INSANITY Fast and Furious DVD Workout
Offered by Beachbody
Price: $22.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quick Workout, December 29, 2012
I've completed the Insanity program (63 days) and, from experience, I wouldn't say this is a 45-minute workout compressed into 20 minutes. But it is a really good workout for days when you only have 20-25 minutes to get a workout in (you definitely have to pace yourself as it's an intense total-body cardio workout). For people considering the full program, it's also a pretty good indication of the type of exercises that they do in the 63-day program.
In short,

6 minute warm-up
3.5 minute stretch
9 minute intense workout (comparable to Insanity Pure Cardio)
2 minute cool-down stretch
Total 22 minutes (the rest of the time is used for water breaks)

For those not used to Insanity, the warm-up is a workout in and of itself, so in reality you're getting about 15 minutes of a great cardio workout in total. The exercises really target your legs and core, including abs (a couple of exercises hit the chest/arms but not as well as some of the other insanity workouts; I may add a minute of the "perfect-pushup" to help compensate for this). Overall, I give it 4/5 stars because it is a really good workout when you're short on time or if you just want to "preview" Insanity before purchasing the full program (although if you haven't done Insanity before, be careful when attempting the moves as a lot of the exercises require good form and different movement combinations--definitely take it slow at first and get the form down before trying to keep up with the trainers on the video).
The biggest con as others have mentioned is the quality of the video--it looks like it was filmed in a downtown gym somewhere with poorer audio/quality than the other Insanity videos. Also, as others have pointed out, focus on Shaun T and the female trainer as they have better form/intensity throughout the workout than the other male trainer does.

Overall, a great quick workout when you don't have 40-60 minutes for a full Insanity workout or if you want to "preview" Insanity before buying the full program. I definitely plan to use this on a regular basis and am glad I purchased this product.

Twirl-a-Tie Tie Rack/Organizer
Twirl-a-Tie Tie Rack/Organizer
Price: $3.70
19 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another satisfied customer, May 23, 2011
This really doesn't need another positive review, but I'll give it one anyway.
In short, it's awesome, it saves space, but even more importantly, it creates quick and easily-accessible organization. As a professional graduate student, I have to wear ties on a regular basis; after I've picked my dress shirt out for the day, this thing allows me to quickly find a matching tie. Just spin it around to the right color section, and BAM, looking good for the day!
Positives:
1) It's very organized, and the spinning swivel works great.
2) It's fairly space efficient (20 ties in a compact area instead of strung all over your closet)
3) It's very well-priced; this is one of the reasons I went with this one over some other items out there, and I'm so glad I did because not only did I save money; I'm also very satisfied.
4) The ties are easy to take out and put back in the slots (even when it's full--I currently have 19/20 slots filled)
5) It holds 20 ties!
6) The ties stay in place (they don't fall off the way ties sometimes do on regular close hangers)

Hope this helps!

American Diagnostic Corporation Adscope 600 Platinum Cardiology Stethoscope, Dark Green
Offered by MedicalRite
Price: $75.36
10 used & new from $75.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Steal of a deal, February 28, 2011
I can hear vitals way better with this stethoscope than I could with my previous one! I'm a second year medical student about to start my rotations next year, and I would definitely recommend this to other medical students and to other health students. It beats the price of a Littman and hears vitals very well. I've heard crackles in lungs in patients that other students have missed with their more pricy Littman stethoscopes (I believe they have the cardio III version of Littman). So I'd definitely recommend it to others looking for the best bang for their buck!

Screen Protector for Apple iPod Nano 6 6th Generation
Screen Protector for Apple iPod Nano 6 6th Generation
Offered by Smart Fly
Price: $1.37
10 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars great price, February 28, 2011
I'm sure this is not considered the best screen protector out there, but for the price it's worth it if you're looking for something just to protect your screen

Grafco Pocket Size Plastic Eye Chart, 6 3/8" x 3 1/2" Model # 1243
Grafco Pocket Size Plastic Eye Chart, 6 3/8" x 3 1/2" Model # 1243
Offered by ShopMedicalSupply
Price: $3.47
9 used & new from $3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cheap eye chart, December 7, 2010
For less than $3 you won't find a better deal; plus it's handy and will be helpful on my rotations in the hospital next year as a med student. My only complaint would be that I wish it had letters instead of numbers but I knew that before I bought it so as long as you're aware of that, I think you'll love it. Make sure you don't spend more than $3 because some sellers definitely charge more