Profile for Melissa N. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1984

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Melissa N. RSS Feed (Chicago, IL United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Heart Goes Last: A Novel (Positron)
The Heart Goes Last: A Novel (Positron)
by Margaret Atwood
Price: $19.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the first three books first!, July 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a huge Margaret Atwood fan, but this is not one of my favorite of her books. I blame myself because I didn't realize that it was part four in a series, and I think I missed out on a lot as a result of that. The book doesn't hold up as well as a standalone piece. I need to go back and read the prequels and then give this one another try.

The Admissions: A Novel
The Admissions: A Novel
by Meg Mitchell Moore
Price: $12.41

3.0 out of 5 stars College admission nightmares, July 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun, cautionary tale about the madness that is the Ivy League college admission process. As a higher educational professional myself, I was attracted to the plot of the story, although the story turned out to be a bit disjointed at times. Still, it's a light and fun read.

Petty: The Biography
Petty: The Biography
by Warren Zanes
Price: $21.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tribute to a legend, July 28, 2015
This review is from: Petty: The Biography (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Petty fans will love this. It's not a traditional biography, but really captures the essence and spirit of his music and its impact on modern culture. Certain things are glossed over, but the focus is on the music, as it should be.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you LOL, July 24, 2015
I laughed a lot when I read this book. You've never really experienced a truly dysfunctional family like this. Author Jenny Lawson describes her ultra-untraditional upbringing in rural Texas and her completely unbelievable and hilarious adult life. Her stories are so out there that I seriously have to wonder how many of them have been drastically embellished, but who could make this stuff up?! So funny. I look forward to the new book Lawson has coming out this fall.

Her [Blu-ray]
Her [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Joaquin Phoenix
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $18.00
49 used & new from $10.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but sad, July 19, 2015
This review is from: Her [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is such an odd little movie, and it's much more depressing than I thought it would be. Still, mad props for innovation. In a nutshell, a lonely man who is going through a divorce begins a relationship with his operating system, which is a pretty widely accepted thing. The film is very interesting but also really, really depressing. I enjoyed it but don't recommend it for even mildly depressed or lonely people.

I Will Marry George Clooney (By Christmas)
I Will Marry George Clooney (By Christmas)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Clooney fans, July 17, 2015
This is not brilliant literature by any sense of the imagination. It's fun, light reading that George Clooney super-fans like myself will get a kick out of. My biggest beef (I mean chicken?) with this book is that we don't actually get to meet George! Oh well. Save it for the sequel, which can be titled "Melissa Niksic will Marry George Clooney by New Year's." (Sorry Amal, but your time is limited."

Philips 799965 Disney Olaf SoftPal Portable Night Light, White
Philips 799965 Disney Olaf SoftPal Portable Night Light, White
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for bigger kids, July 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In theory, this is a pretty cool device: a portable night-light that kids can hold. The two things that kind of such about it are that it's hard to get the battery cover on and off, and younger children want to put it in their mouths, which doesn't seem safe. For slightly older children, though, it's a great option.

Lily Love
Lily Love
by Maggi Myers
Price: $10.20
42 used & new from $4.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, July 16, 2015
This review is from: Lily Love (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Lily Love" wasn't what I expected. It began as an extremely thoughtful story about a single mother and her special-needs child, but then developed into just another cheesy and somewhat predictable love story. Not a bad book, but nothing special, either.

The Automobile Club of Egypt: A novel
The Automobile Club of Egypt: A novel
by Alaa Al Aswany
Price: $13.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Good writing but to darn long!, July 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great writing, great character development, but SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. Seriously. If you want a great character study novel, then this is it. If you are like me and cannot deal with 500 pages of rich character development and not a whole lot of action, then be warned: this book will DRAG.

Movie Star by Lizzie Pepper
Movie Star by Lizzie Pepper
by Hilary Liftin
Price: $17.84
59 used & new from $11.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Lame, July 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book really disappointed me. I wasn't expecting brilliant literature or anything, but I was hoping for a fun summer read. I found most of the book boring and extremely predictable. Skip it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20