Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for VMC > Reviews

Browse

VMC's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

VMC "vmcastellanos" RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2
Weiman Furniture Wipes, 30 count
Weiman Furniture Wipes, 30 count
Price: $5.99
17 used & new from $5.66

3.0 out of 5 stars It left streaks on my wood coffee table and my ..., April 28, 2015
It left streaks on my wood coffee table and my antique secretary, but not on other wood furniture. It seems these wipes are more suitable for lighter wood.

The New Yorker
The New Yorker
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Please make New Yorker available for Kindle Fire, June 6, 2012
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Edition)
I don't see why it wouldn't be, since it is available for all the other Kindles. I'm sorry, but an app doesn't cut it. I want it in my newsstand, please.

Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!
by Kris Carr
Price: $12.81
246 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a diet, February 16, 2012
Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet is more a way of life than a diet.

Carr is an inspiration: many people who've gotten her diagnosis, or something similar, are all too willing to take meds and give up. I very much appreciate the lesson she teaches, that you can fix yourself from the inside out. A lot of the things that we've been taught about food are myths and products of subsidies and other deals. Eating right and being healthy is not hard if you want it. If you can get over your addictions to sugar and the like, you can change your life. She makes sense.

As for me, I can tell you that while I was eating healthfully as Carr teaches, I felt great. Just being and eating clean opened up sources of energy I never knew I had. Even my attitude was better. I have since relapsed with my addiction to sugar, and I have to reread this book and snap out of that. These kinds of books are what you make them. It is important to note here that not all of the dietary restrictions that Carr prescribes will work for everyone, and she advocates doing what works for you.

The juicing portion of the book is invaluable. The vitamins and minerals in fresh vegetables and fruits are what moves your system. I was a little disappointed that there were not more recipes, but Carr has just come out with a new book devoted specifically to juicing and blending.

An alkaline diet is also important. Think about it: if you can feel the acidity in your body in your chest every night after dinner, say, best to avoid those foods, isn't it? Germs and viruses thrive in alkaline conditions. If you could change just a few things in your diet and rid yourself of the flu, bronchitis, yeast infections, bacterial infections, etc., wouldn't you? I've eliminated certain things in my diet and I've stuck with it, but I'm not going to tell you I don;'t still crave them. Take soda, for example. I was a big diet soda drinker, since childhood all the way up until a year or so ago. Every once in a while, I crave a Coke like you wouldn't believe, but any carbonated drink wreaks havoc on your gastrointestinal system. Soda is a rare treat rather than the norm in my life. I'm also starting to reconsider milk. As I get older, i find my system doesn't tolerate what it used to, and milk falls into this category. The challenge is that I've grown up, and am still told by my mother, that milk and dairy is the way to get your calcium. That's not necessarily so. Why is it more expensive to eat healthy and so much cheaper to hit McDonald's every night? Because of government subsidies.

I see that a lot of people here are hung up on the language Carr uses. Way to miss the point. But I realize her tone doesn't work for everyone. Personally, I thought the conversational tone, and yes, her use of curse words, is just right for a book that is really geared toward people who have partied too much and made themselves sick. The language is a masterful move.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2012 2:26 PM PST

The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss
by Arthur Agatston
Price: $17.43
2236 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars South Beach works, October 6, 2005
To all those who insist that South Beach is a rip-off of the Atkins diet, well, I can't say I disagree with you totally. Their principles sound so much the same, it is hard to tell the difference! But I can say, as someone who has tried both, that I am much, much more comfortable on South Beach than with Atkins. I am not cranky, I have much more energy, and the pounds just melted off in the first two weeks, just as Dr. Agatston said they would. On Atkins, I was extra-moody, experienced no increase in energy and in fact felt quite lethargic, and those pounds didn't budge. Whatever the South Breach diet has that Atkins doesn't, it made a huge difference to me. It is the only real sustainable way of eating, and it is for many people. Clearly some respond to diets that fail for others. Also, there is really no need for some of the apparently fierce loyalty to Atkins.

Silence on the Mountain: Stories of Terror, Betrayal, and Forgetting in Guatemala
by Daniel Wilkinson
50 used & new from $0.91

5.0 out of 5 stars to Brady L. Buchanan, January 26, 2004
I have to wonder how America's role in Guatemala's civil war and in the oppressive history of most Latin American countries has managed to escape your attention.

Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar
DVD ~ Taye Diggs
Price: $3.74
143 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Sanaa, Sanaa, Sanaa, October 14, 2003
This review is from: Brown Sugar (DVD)
Every time I see her she is pining for someone. First it was Wesley in Disappearing Acts (an HBO movie), then Omar Epps in Love and Basketball, and now Taye Diggs in this one. May I add, she was pining for Taye in the Best Man, too, and this movie is nothing but Love and Basketball part 2, only Sanaa's character's name is Sidney, the ball has been replaced with hip-hop, and Omar replaced by Taye, spiced with a little Nicole Ari Parker, Boris Kodjoe, and Her Highness Queen Latifah. Sanaa, you need a new agent, and get yourself some new scripts. Or at least a new, fresh leading man. The movie is entertaining enough, but no originality, used storyline, and Taye is not convincing in his love for hip-hop. You can tell his "flava" is about as rehearsed as the script. The soundtrack KICKS ASSSSS though!

When I Get You Alone
When I Get You Alone
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $7.98
33 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a gimmick, May 8, 2003
This review is from: When I Get You Alone (Audio CD)
Thicke is not a gimmick. Hopefully, he won't be a flash in the pan, either. Talk about blue-eyed soul! His (or the songwriter's) use of Beethoven's Fifth was amazing and so creative. Mistermaxx is the only one so far who gave Thicke a bad review. But he gives pretty much everything a bad review, so don't pay too much attention. This album is funky, sensual, and worth trying out at the very least.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Swallow the termination fee and just get out., September 20, 2002
I'm thinking of swallowing whatever termination fee there is (Sprint conveniently doesn't tell their customers what it is) because I can't stand the horrible reception. I work on the 37th floor of the UN building in Midtown, and I can't use it at all in the office, while the AT&T users can. I can hardly use it at home, since it must be a "fringe area". I live on 181st and Fort Washington in Manhattan and can't believe that Sprint would be so outdated as to not provide reliable service around my way. In my experience, the Customer Service is OK. Much better than the rude reps. at Verizon. But the coverage is horrible. If you plan to replace your home phone with a cell, don't even consider this plan. It's just a nightmare.

In the Time of the Butterflies
In the Time of the Butterflies
by Julia Alvarez
443 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Julia's best!, July 17, 2000
This novel is by far my favorite from Ms. Alvarez. I have interviewed Ms. Alvarez for Urban Latino Magazine. She is truly a great writer and deserves more credit, coverage, and praise, as do other Latino authors, such as Junot Diaz and Cristina Garcia. Ms. Alvarez weaves her tales expertly, giving the reader insight into her characters that most other authors do not. This book, and her new novel, "In the Name of Salome" introduce us to real characters and concepts from a history that we are not taught in school, that of the Dominican Republic and of Latin America.

Seven & The Ragged Tiger
Seven & The Ragged Tiger
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $5.07
58 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Duran Duran's Best, June 14, 2000
I bought the vinyl a long time ago when it was first issued. I took it overseas with me because I couldn't detach myself from it. Somebody stole it from me at a party. Years later, I found the record in a bargain box at a used record shop. Now I got the CD. "The Reflex" and "New Moon on Monday" are the best songs, but the rest is fabulous as well. This is the last must-have CD of theirs.

Page: 1 | 2