Profile for Clarissa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 335

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Clarissa "MoonGoddess" RSS Feed (Ontario, California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Maybelline Wonder Finish Clean Powder-Finish Foundation, Porcelain Ivory, 1.0 FL. OZ. (30 ml)
Offered by BEAUTY PLUS
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, affordable powder/foundation in one!, November 10, 2007
This product has unfortunately been discontinued but I can't help but wonder why? It's the best liquid foundation (for this price) I've ever tried, and what's even better is that it instantly gives you that finished powder look. Therefore you don't have to bother with both! I have very fair skin and because most foundations start with 'light' I have a hard time finding a shade that blends into my skin-tone perfectly, but porcelain ivory did that for me remarkably well. I also like the fact that this is oil free and protects your skin from the sun's harsh rays with SPF 15.

I've yet to find a foundation that works nearly as well. I really wish they'd put this back on the market.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2013 8:32 PM PDT

Renaissance of the Primordial
Renaissance of the Primordial

5.0 out of 5 stars Like silky, velvet dreams, February 1, 2006
The moment I put this cd on and heard the light, lulling strum of a dreamy guitar fluttering like soft breezes that carried with them the whispered caresses of sun-kissed Gregorian chants, followed by the ocean spray of some middle eastern voice sweetly singing amidst gorgeous strings and a hypnotic beat, I knew this was going to be one journey I'd be willing to take for many years to come...and that was the impression I got from the first track alone! Imagine what ensued... It only gets better from there!

Every song is aptly titled to create a spellbinding mood, and while I find this exotically soothing debut album by Black Ether (an astonishingly overlooked group) extremely hard to classify because it is so diversified in its use of instruments and styles, I'd have to say if you enjoy lush chillout music with an ethnic-world flavor to it than this is most definitely your cup of tea.

Unearthed
Unearthed
Offered by CD Baby
Price: $15.62
44 used & new from $7.74

5.0 out of 5 stars E.S. Posthumus Unearthed, November 27, 2005
This review is from: Unearthed (Audio CD)
E.S. Posthumus consists of two very talented brothers, Helmut and Franz Vonlichten. They've apparently created a lot of film music for television and movie trailers but I had never heard of them until an online friend of mine so graciously exposed me to this amazing duo, and needless to say I was blown away.

The songs herein contain dramatic and emotional cinematic scores that are dark yet lushly beautiful with electronic sensibilities. What I mean by that is there are climatic strings and intense choral singing that'll cause the hair on your arms to stand straight, just as a good movie trailer might do. However, it's magnified by modern sounding beats and much eclecticism (influences ranging from Celtic, Gregorian, Middle Eastern, and Egyptain, just to name a few) that'll likely appeal to fans of Deep Forest, Enigma, and even Enya. Throw in a dash of Rob Dougan for a harder edge and you've got yourself one unique journey full of epic proportions.

Confessions on a Dance Floor
Confessions on a Dance Floor
315 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Hung Up on these hooking confessions, November 15, 2005
Like many others I was quite disappointed in the contrived "American Life" - Madonna's last full-length album which dripped mediocrity and lacked originality, leaving me fearful that the Queen of pop had lost her spark. But luckily 'Confessions on a Dancefloor' lay all prior worries to rest because here she returns to her earlier days, creating irresistibly catchy melodies with soaring synth lines and pulsating dance beats from savory start to satisfying finish (no ballads required). The songs even blend into one another like a club-mix would so the party just keeps going! There's some lush instrumentation thrown in as well, adding emotion to the synthesized rhythms. And I was pleasantly surprised to hear Middle Eastern singing in the beginning of "Isaac" which bleeds into one of my very favorite tracks, "Push".

Some of the lyrics are a bit corny, like on "I Love New York" ('I don't like cities but I like New York / Other places make me feel like a dork') but 'Confessions on a Dancefloor' contain some incredibly passionate dance infections - most notably the high-energy "Let It Will Be" and "Jump" - all else is excused, making this Madonna's best album since the immaculate 'Ray Of Light'.

This may not be flawless but it's a fun, sophisticated dance-pop offering I recommend full-heartedly to new and old fans alike!

Halo Star
Halo Star
Price: $16.85
31 used & new from $2.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Halo Star Glows, October 27, 2005
This review is from: Halo Star (Audio CD)
I must admit, in the past I didn't care much for Black Tape for a Blue Girl's music. I just failed to understand all the appraisal they were receiving from the Gothic darkwave scene, and yet with each new release I continued to buy their albums anyway simply because there was always at least one or two songs I really enjoyed. However, several years later and more into this genre than ever before, BTfaBG has vastly grown on me.

Perhaps they're an acquired taste but now I lick this stuff up like it's dessert! 'Halo Star' opens with a haunting Middle Eastern flair that continues on to the next track, "Tarnished", and is one of their more upbeat songs while the others are mostly slower paced. The use of instruments are otherwordly and delicately played with dark, gloomy rhythms that consist of melancholy lyrics often sung by lush female vocalist, Elysabeth Grant, and are usually chock-full of heartache and despair. Bret Helm also lends his brooding voice to many of the pieces here and sounds a lot like Voltaire on the quirky "Knock Three Times". The most notable track for me, though, would have to be "Damn Swan!" It may be short (clocking in at a little over 3 minutes in length) but is achingly beautiful...

Just classic perfection heard throughout; presented in a subtle fashion.

So Long, Scarecrow
So Long, Scarecrow
Price: $13.96
25 used & new from $4.28

3.0 out of 5 stars A promising effort, but lacks originality, October 23, 2005
This review is from: So Long, Scarecrow (Audio CD)
I recently had the opportunity to hear Scarling's latest release, 'So Long, Scarecrow', and as much as I wanted to enjoy this I was ultimately left feeling dissatisfied.

Being the casual Jack Off Jill fan that I am I was curious enough to hear Jessicka's latest group, Scarling, but now I'm thinking this probably wasn't the best place to start with them because, even though I'm glad they don't sound like carbon copies of each other, I can't help but crave those pounding drums, harsh guitar riffs and angsty female singing Jack Off Jill are known for delivering.

I may not be used to hearing Jessicka's sweetly ferocious vocals set to (for the most part) the more dreamy subtleties of shoegazer rock but my mind was definitely open to the change. However, no matter how hard I try to let this cd grow on me, I still can't seem to listen to 'So Long, Scarecrow' all the way through without becoming bored with it.

The album starts off promising with the languid "Hello London" and, my personal favorites, "City Noise" and "Broken Record" (these two songs pick up the pace a little, offering the listener something more substantial), but the further along it goes the less inventive and more tiresome it becomes. Nevertheless, Jessicka's beautiful voice is in top-form so if you enjoy the gentler side of Jack Off Jill when they tone things down a bit, chances are this will appeal to you more than it did me.

Come Closer: A Novel
Come Closer: A Novel
by Sara Gran
35 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm..., September 23, 2005
This review is from: Come Closer: A Novel (Hardcover)
I don't get it. Am I missing something? Everyone seems to really enjoy 'Come Closer' but I found this rather short novel by Sara Gran to be tediously dull.

After mistakenly receiving a book in the mail about demonology that includes a quiz on how to tell whether your possessed or not, Amanda is gradually able to answer yes to more of the questions as time goes by until it becomes painstakenly clear that she is no longer in control of her actions and that it may already be too late to exorcise Naamah from ruining her life and haunting her dreams.

Amanda's marriage is thrown on the rocks as her behavior starts shifting into something foul. The fighting begins as soon as the tapping noises start up around the house, and it doesn't take long for Amanda to begin suffering from sporadic blackouts that cause her to recall only fragments of her life--oftentimes awakening to herself in the midst of a wrongful doing (ie-attempting murder, adultery, ect.).

The idea sounded interesting enough but the story fell flat on its face and ultimately failed to capture my attention, so for that I only recommend borrowing this from the library since it seems to just be me who didn't care for it much.

In my opinion the writing was okay but the premise was underdeveloped and could have used more twists and turns. Nothing hooked or made me gasp with surprise. I was merely going through the motions of finishing something I already started. And despite the vague explanation, I still can't fathom why a powerful demon such as Naamah would choose Amanda, of all people, to possess? What made her stand out from so many others? I would have liked for this to be more thoroughly explained...

'Come Closer' is by no means scary nor chilling as other's have claimed. However, it wasn't completely terrible and I have read worse. It was just very disappointing to this reader--especially given I had such high hopes because of all the rave reviews.

Illuminate
Illuminate
Price: $10.70
39 used & new from $3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant & Exotic, August 23, 2005
This review is from: Illuminate (Audio CD)
Qntal, unfamiliar to me at the time, started showing up everywhere--in my Amazon recommendations; magazine articles I read; compilations I purchased...they were impossible to dismiss! So when I was fortunate enough to find a used copy of 'Illumination' there was no reluctance to buy it, and not only was my curiousity of the group piqued but my thirst for something new and fresh was finally sated!

The name QNTAL is a nonexistent word that came about in a fateful dream Syrah had one night, and it fits this band perfectly as they defied being labeled in any specific genre when they were first formed in '92.

To me Qntal sounds a lot like Corvus Corax in the sense that they fuse traditional medieval music, using instruments such as the hurdy-gurdy and bagpipes, in with modern-day electronics. Qntal, however, is led by a female vocalist (Syrah) and is a bit more melodic and darker in tone.

With the exception of one song (my introduction to Qntal), I have yet to hear the original versions of all the rest so it should be interesting to hear how they defer from the ones heard here since 'Illumination' is a collection of remixes...most of which are amplified with club-friendly beats that range from dance to industrial to exotic world rhythms.

This record has definitely taken a hold of me and I plan on buying their other works very soon! I've gone far too long without knowing Qntal's music.

Tissues & Issues
Tissues & Issues
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $8.05
91 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Tissues & Issues? Hardly..., August 17, 2005
This review is from: Tissues & Issues (Audio CD)
Gone on _Tissues & Issues_ are the operatic aria's, broadway renditions and sweetly sung lullabies heard in the past. In their place are more mainstream pop/r&b-inspired songs. And while I can't blame Charlotte Church for trying something new, in her case the transaction from opera to pop star has not worked well in her favor, as did the similar evolution of Sarah Brightman.

Now I know she's been through a lot of unruly criticism in her lifetime but the issues at hand sound too much like all the other watered down teen angst being spewed on the radio these days with most of the music and lyrics lacking substance. That's not to say all the material here is bad, though. "Show A Little Faith" and "Fool No More" are two surprisingly sultry ballads; "Let's Be Alone" is a great dance track; "Casualty Of Love" has a subtle, addictive flamenco groove, and "Confessional Song" is one of the few instances in which she'll tug at your heartstrings (if only a little).

Charlotte Church still has a far ways to go but I have faith that she'll eventually come full circle and wow us all someday. Granted, she has the voice, but I also believe she has the potential to do more than just sing well. However, it's quite apparent she has some growing up to do first, and perhaps some soul searching, too, to hopefully unearth her own unique style.

Vinland Saga
Vinland Saga
Price: $10.99
55 used & new from $3.78

5.0 out of 5 stars No sophmore jinx here!, August 7, 2005
This review is from: Vinland Saga (Audio CD)
It's hard to improve on an excellent debut album but the sophmore release of Leaves' Eyes' _Vinland Saga_ is, in my opinion, even better than the first! I hear a great depth of maturity both lyrically and musically and love how they've touched upon their Norwegian roots by tastefully including some Norse mythology, as well as some beautiful pictures taken from their homeland.

Sireness Liv Kristine sounds lovelier than ever as her pristine vocals soar with and above the pounding, melodic, epic rhythms. And this time around I can tolerate the death growls by Alexander Krull much more - which is probably because they are placed more sparingly here - amplifying rather than detracting from the listening experience; complimenting rather than clashing (the best example of this can be heard in "New Found Land"). My absolute favorite track, though, would have to be the gorgeous ballad "Leaves Eyes". The song actually features some nice acoustic guitar work, which is rare to find in any form of metal but fits like a charm amongst the harsh, atmospheric melodies.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20