Profile for Discursive Boojum > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Discursive Boojum RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Affliction (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Book 22)
Affliction (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Book 22)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.59

1.0 out of 5 stars I was cheering for the zombies, July 3, 2013
I started reading these because of my wife, who enjoyed the first 4 books and laughed her way through the rest of them, until this one.

So the good:
-This book actually does have a plot.
-Zombies.
-Less than half of the book was Anita enjoying her collection of men.
-There were not pages and pages of clothing and hair descriptions.
-Edward

The bad:
-For the first 200 or so pages, any line Anita said had at least a paragraph of introspection or plot exposition to explain why she said it.
-If you cut out the very redundant descriptors, the book would probably be 100 pages shorter. We get that Nathaniel has lavender eyes. It's still as silly as the first time and doesn't become less silly after the 15th time you mention it in a single book. We also understand that a lot of these men are very tall. Also, you don't need to remind all your readers every couple of pages that someone is a sociopath.
-Serious inaccuracies that could have been prevented with just a little bit of research.

The worst:
-I'm a guy, and I was insulted by the gender stereotyping in this book. This was what caused my wife to close the book halfway through and say "I'm DONE". If this were written by a man, a lot of women would be very offended by the constant sexism e.g. "fights like a girl" or "I screamed like (fill in the blank) girl" or using female body parts as insults. It was bad enough when Anita was just trying to prove she was a really hot woman who was really just one of the guys, but this book is full of phrasing that is incredibly misogynistic. It also completely objectifies men.

The absolute worst:
-After the point my wife gave up, there was one of those scenes. Except this one was "edgier" in a completely irresponsible and unsafe way. The graphic scenes are part of the series now, as much as the people who liked the first few books may hate them. This one may have gone too far even for the people who enjoy those scenes.

I wish that I could say something funny about this book. It's not funny, it's tragic. What could have been an awesome series featuring a strong female role-model has turned into something else completely.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 4:20 AM PDT

Febreze Noticeables Alaskan Springtime Air Freshener 1.758 Fl Oz
Febreze Noticeables Alaskan Springtime Air Freshener 1.758 Fl Oz
Offered by V.S.V.
Price: $14.43
9 used & new from $9.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Freshness and Alaskan Springtime Air are not the same thing, May 12, 2013
I've lived in Alaska for nearly 20 years now, and have been here for 20 springs.

Let me tell you all a little secret- you don't want your home to smell like Alaskan springtime.

Alaskan springtime is the "fresh" scent that proves a lot of dog owners don't pick up after their dog on walks during the winter. It's the scent of geese and ducks making messes on stagnant water from thaws, it's the scent of decay as all that dead grass gets soaked from thawing and sits under the sun. Springtime in Alaska smells like something that rhymes with grass but really isn't. It smells like moose, bear, duck, goose and dog rhymes with grass. It's a smell that makes you check the bottom of your shoes just to make sure you didn't step in something.

Fortunately, and the reason this does get 3 stars, it doesn't actually smell anything like Alaskan Springtime. It can help cover the scent of a real Alaskan springtime with their poetic interpretation which seems based on not ever having been in Alaska in spring. This is a simple fragrance that's not overtly floral, and one that will work well in office settings or in the homes of people who would rather not have floral or bakery scented air fresheners.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Minty clean in a gallon size, July 31, 2012
When my wife and I first moved in together, she was horrified by the fact I used Irish Spring soap. She was raised by a hippie in a house smoky with incense and other things with lots of tapestries and floor pillows to sit on. I grew up on Army bases with a drill sgt dad. Soap was one of our first big hurdles as a couple living together.

We discussed why we were loyal to our soaps. In my case it came down to "Because it's what I've always used and I like the way it smells."
Her list of the reasons why she used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint included those two things, plus the fact it was real soap, that diluted properly it's inexpensive to use, the bottle is fun to read, it didn't dry her skin in the winter, tingly clean feels good, and it's not made with either animal fats or petroleum by-products like too many commercial so-called soaps. There was probably a lot more. She didn't let up until I tried it. She also tried my Irish Spring to be fair, it made her break out and she complained about her skin feeling tight and dry.

I finally tried it, after she forced the issue by hiding my soap. I didn't want to love it, but scrubbing, the smell of peppermint helped me wake up. It tingled, it smelled good, it lathered up nicely, and one squirt on a wet washcloth really did clean a lot. Then I got out of the shower and the cool air hit my minty skin and I screamed a little. Just a little. It was a shock, like sauna to snowbank shock. Now I was awake. But I noticed my skin didn't itch that day like it usually did. Until then, I had no idea how drying my perfumed bar of detergent was, and I was more alert after having woken up so abruptly to the minty sensation.

So now I buy the gallon jugs, and refill a 16 oz bottle, diluted half and half.
She doesn't use Dr. Bronner's except for laundry now. Now she buys or barters soap from local soapmakers. I'm quite happy with Dr. Bronner's, and have no plans to try her current favorite hemp oil based patchouli scented soap.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2013 7:29 PM PDT

Tony Chachere's, Original Creole Seasoning, 17-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Tony Chachere's, Original Creole Seasoning, 17-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Offered by CAPSI
Price: $35.16
2 used & new from $29.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic seasoning salt, July 12, 2012
If you use seasoning salt in your cooking, you may want to try this instead. Usually I use custom mixes for seasoning things, but we got this to test a recipe. My family loved it.

Use it where you would use seasoning salt or even salt and pepper to season foods you're cooking. The instructions says to add it until it's salty enough, and it's about 1/3 salt by weight. So if you know how much salt you like to use, use about 3 times as much of this instead. The mix of flavors is a great accompaniment to meats, vegetables and soup.

One of my favorite simple dishes is to peel and cut up a sweet potato into wedges, and pat dry 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the sweet potatoes and sprinkle Tony's over them. Season both chicken breasts on both sides well. Sear the chicken breasts in the same pan as the sweet potatoes on both sides, then cover, turn down, and simmer until done. It's simple and tastes fantastic. It's not really spicy even though it has red pepper in it. Just spicy enough for people who don't like a lot of heat.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, tasty science, June 17, 2012
Sponge cake with a creamy filling! These carefully scientifically designed treats stick to the original flavor as much as possible while increasing the shelf life considerably. The cream filling is actually shortening, because milk doesn't stay good on a warm shelf, the cake has all sorts of wonderful chemicals in it to keep it moist, fresh and light in texture. Corn syrup replaces sugar, soy lecithin is the most well known of the trace chemicals that help create that very smooth mouth feel- it's used in chocolate for the same reason.

If there is ever an award offered to the scientists who find less expensive ways to chemically reproduce flavors, it should be a Golden Twinkie Award. You know they aren't healthy, but who can resist having one every so often? Even deep fat frying them when you're feeling completely decadent.

Nothing tastes quite like a Twinkie. Best frozen and it's fun to dip frozen slices in chocolate and watch people try to figure out what they are eating.

Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
by Laurell K. Hamilton
102 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars 50/50 this time, June 5, 2012
I started reading these because my wife recommended the first 3.

Laurell K. Hamilton is still trying to find that balance for her readers. For the people who loved the earlier books and find the new ones too much fantasy Mary Sue and the readers who enjoy the erotic self-indulgence of her books. This time she apparently tried to balance by word count.

The first half of the book has a plot. It has moments of Anita Super S(four letter word, rhymes with nut) Mary Sue writing while Anita proves to anyone who hasn't been paying attention that she truly is one of the guys but short, curvy and dressed to impress, but the majority of it is actually story telling. Then almost exactly halfway through, we get the first "love" scene and it devolves from there. The plot in the second half is rushed between sex scenes, introspection and drama with the lovers. Parts are very repetitive, like a school assignment with padded words. The actual ending is rushed, as it has been in the last few books. Almost exactly the opposite of Hit List where the first half was the Mary Sue, and a rush in the last half for a story.

Recurrent themes:
Is Anita a monster?
Can she fight monsters when she loves them?
Can she love everyone she's with?
Will she ever discover that shoes don't have to have heels to look good?

Answered questions:
Yes, some men in her world realize she's just a tough or tougher than they are and she appreciates that very much.

It would have been two stars, but my wife yelled "Give a star for Sigmund being mentioned." That's what this series that started out so strongly has become. Something to laugh at, and to be happy because a stuffed penguin gets a sentence.

There are moments where you see touches of Ms. Hamilton's original flair and insight. A sentence here, a paragraph there. But this still reads like bad fan fiction.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 11:32 AM PDT

Tabasco Pepper Sauce, 128 Ounce
Tabasco Pepper Sauce, 128 Ounce
Offered by TABASCO brand Products
Price: $40.95
2 used & new from $40.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Shake well, May 31, 2012
My wife got a gallon of Tabasco original a few months ago and I took one look at that big heavy glass jug and thought "There is no way we are using all of that."

I was wrong, we are about half through it now. If you're looking at this, it's a safe bet you know what Tabasco tastes like and you like it. Its vinegary and peppery and mixes very well into all sorts of things.
We pour it into smaller bottles for regular use and you do need to shake it every time you decant some, otherwise what pours off the top is a vinegary, watered down sauce instead of the bright red you are used to. It's size and weight can make it tricky to shake so be careful and use both hands.

We use it on eggs, in ketchup, in bean soup, on burgers, we use it on so many things. My son thinks it's wonderful having a whole gallon because he'll use it by the spoonful on rice and ramen.

The only person in the family who doesn't eat it is my wife, she says she just wanted the nice glass jug with the Tabasco labels.

Post-it Recycled Super Sticky Notes, 3 x 3-Inches, Assorted Tropical Colors, 6-Pads/Pack
Price: $6.88
3 used & new from $6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars I got the message, August 12, 2011
This morning the alarm went off as it usually does. I hit the snooze button and it didn't feel right, pulling my hand back, I noticed a bright blue flap of paper that said
"Good Morning Sweetheart, I love you." It had been laid on top of the clock radio with the sticky side up so it would stick to my hand.

I thought "That's sweet." Patted my sleeping wife on her back and went back to sleep.

I hit the snooze button twice more. Then at 6:40 knew I really had to get up and hit the off button.

And came back with a purple square. This one read "I hope you slept well."

Which was also very sweet. Then I went into to the bathroom and took my shower. When I got out of the shower and looked in the mirror there was another note. This time in green.
"Please make sure my shampoo is where I can reach it. The top of the shower is too high."

I took off the note, and moved the shampoo back down to a lower shelf my wife could reach without my help.

Then I got my toothbrush, and that had a note on it. Hot, shocking pink.
"You know, I wouldn't mind if we had onions when you take me out to dinner tonight."

Living room- television- pink again "We are not watching tv all evening again."

Coffee maker (green)- "I'd suggest either a casual picnic, or a very nice restaurant. Your choice."

Car keys (blue) - "Thank you for spontaneously planning a romantic evening out. I love you."

All this technology, text messaging, email, mobile phones with more power than a Cray, and nothing yet has ever truly replaced the Post-It. These are in great bright colors and black ink shows well on them with no bleed through. They are very sticky, and 390 will make sure you never forget the important things in life. They also make a good way to make sure that other people remember.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 10:12 AM PDT

French's French Fried Onions, Original, 6-Ounce Can (Pack of 6)
French's French Fried Onions, Original, 6-Ounce Can (Pack of 6)
Offered by WhiteDogMercantile
Price: $26.50
7 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooh La La- A fancy casserole hat, August 11, 2011
These are the beret that finishes the ensemble of a perfect casserole. They are French's French. They add a snooty accent of onion flavor. Perfectly crunchy and so very good.

I'll admit, for the most part, fancy food leaves me cold. I want it plain, simple and generally only condiment with salt, black pepper and red pepper. These are the exception, they are seasoning and food both. They work very well on salads, casseroles and even plain out of the can. It's the only ingredient you need to make macaroni and cheese fit for a king, or at the very least, a king-size.

Kraft Blue Box Macaroni & Cheese, 7.25-oz. Boxes (Count of 15)
Kraft Blue Box Macaroni & Cheese, 7.25-oz. Boxes (Count of 15)
Price: $12.89
24 used & new from $11.70

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic and always in my pantry, August 10, 2011
My wife and I grew up completely differently, but we both insist on having this in the pantry for different reasons.

I was raised traveling all over with a military family. I think every U.S. commissary has these familiar blue boxes on their shelves. Since my parents were always busy, it frequently fell on me to make dinner for my siblings and me. 2 boxes of this, a can of green beans and 2 cans of tuna wasn't at all uncommon. It's the wonder meal base. You barely need to know how to turn on the stove to make at least an edible meal with this and if you don't have butter or milk, it works just fine with water.

My wife grew up with a mother who cooked dinner every single night. For her, the blue box was a forbidden treat. She would go to her best friend's house for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and Dinty Moore Beef Stew. He would go to her house for her mother's home cooking.

So it's there, on our shelves. For me, it's a last resort meal for when neither of us feel like cooking. Still as easy, as convenient and as cheesy. For her, it's still a guilty treat. Something she wants to eat when nobody is looking. She will also use the noodles out of a box for another recipe and put the cheese packet up for use on popcorn. That's not something I ever tried before meeting her.

That's the best way to eat it. The noodles in a homemade chicken soup. They cook to al dente in about 7 minutes, so add them at the end. The cheese packet, sprinkled over popcorn that's shared with the person you love while watching action films.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4