Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for John Chancellor > Reviews

Browse

John Chancellor's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1466
Top Reviewer Ranking: 295

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Chancellor "Mentor coach" RSS Feed (Spring Hill, TN)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lapacker Travel Large Checkpoint Friendly ScanSmart TSA Laptop Backpack Computer Fits 15.6-17.3 Inch Tablets
Offered by Lapacker
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed, Extra Roomy, Great Featuers, June 28, 2016
Length:: 6:46 Mins

The Lapacker Travel Large Backpack is the best travel backpack I have owned. It is well designed and well-constructed with some really neat features.

The two pockets on the side are mesh with elastic at the top to securely hold in your water/juice bottle or a travel umbrella. Each pocket has a nice zipper to fully secure whatever you choose to store in these pockets.

There are three zippered compartments in the front. The main compartments has two zippers that when aligned together allow you to lock them (lock not included). There is enough room – it is approximately 18” X 11” X 4” - in the main compartment for clothes for an overnight/weekend trip.
The other two compartments in the front have zippered closures. The bottom one is quite roomy, approximately 8” X 11” and is single compartment. I use it to store travel documents, snacks and my cell phone.

The second compartment is about 14” X 11” and has two small pouch pockets against the back of the compartment and a couple of pen/pencil pouches. It also has a very neat detachable key chain. You can store your keys on this chain when not in use and you could detach them for safe storage in your pocket.

The computer compartment is on the rear of the backpack and the zippers also fit together for locking. The computer storage compartment will hold up to a 17” laptop and is well padded. There is also a mesh zippered storage compartment for accessory equipment.

The backpack straps are wide, well-padded and have mesh lining on the inside to allow breathing. The backpack straps are fully adjustable. There is a quick release strap that goes across the front of your chest – this will hold the backpack in place. Again there is a neat feature in that this strap can be raised/lowered to make sure the backpack fits properly.

The material is a smooth, nylon type material. It looks great. The backpack is well made and it appears it will take a lot of wear and tear.

No doubt this is the best backpack I have ever owned. Lots of nice features, plenty of room.

I was provided a sample for testing/review purposes.

Prescriptions Without Pills: For Relief from Depression, Anger, Anxiety, and More
by Susan Heitler Ph.D.
Price: $13.19
22 used & new from $8.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Relief Without Medication, June 14, 2016
Toddlers learn very early in life that things do not always go their way. Most toddlers deal with these bumps in the road with the well-known temper tantrum. As adults, we also face many bumps in the road. They go by many different names – “difficult situations, issues, disagreements, arguments, dilemmas, frustrations, problems or conflicts.” No matter what name we use, how we handle these situations have a significant bearing on the quality of our lives.

Susan Heitler, PhD, author of Prescriptions Without Pills, has created a handy way to diagnose the bump in the road and then based on the diagnosis, she offers prescriptions for solving the pain. Dr. Heitler presents the tool as a diagram of the hand. This makes it easy to understand and remember. There are basically five potential responses to any emotional bump in the road. Our response follows our flight/fight/freeze response to threatening situations.

The first possible response is to Fold – represented by the index finger. When we Fold, we give up/give in to the situation. This leads to depression.

The second response is Fight – represented by the middle finger. In this situations, we respond with anger. Anger never solves the problem and creates a number of additional issues.

The third possible response, represented by the ring finger, is Freeze. Here we allow the problem to immobilize us, which leads to anxiety.

The fourth response, represented by the little finger is to Flee. This is where we run from the issues and try to escape. This brings on addictions. We turn to self-medication – alcohol, drugs, and other forms of addiction to escape our problems.

The preferred response, represented by the thumb, is to Find a solution. By becoming aware of how we are feeling, acknowledging the problem and seeking a “prescription” we can find a solution to our problems.

Dr. Heitler is a clinical psychologist and draws on her years of clinical practice to provide real world examples of the poor responses we often resort to. She shows us how to identify what we are feeling and how our choice of words can lead us down the wrong path. So for each possible response, she provided plenty of diagnostic tools/examples so we can clearly understand and identify with our current behavior.

Finally, she gives some solid prescriptions – exercises that will work to make sure we Find the solution to our emotional challenges.

I found there are many insights that will help me with the way I interact with others and also help me understand how I can guide others away from confrontational encounters to collaborative ones. The information is very helpful, but I do think I will need to go over it a few times to internalize the concepts.

The 100-Year Life: Living and working in an age of longevity
The 100-Year Life: Living and working in an age of longevity
by Lynda Gratton
Price: $17.85
58 used & new from $13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking Look at A Longer Life - A Gift or a Curse, June 13, 2016
Not too long ago it was quite unusual for people to live to be 100. And while no one has discovered the fountain of youth, the life expectancy in the developed world has increased so that a child born today has a 50% chance of living to be 100. In all probability, that trend will increase.
So we are going to live longer. Will that be a gift or a curse? Lynda Gratton and Andrew Scott, authors of The 100- Year Life, explore many different facets of how the 100- year life is likely to play out.

Starting with what they call life 3.0 – youth/education, work and retirement – with a focus on accumulation of tangible assets, they develop various scenarios for life 3.5 – through life 5.0. Life 3.0 is age specific. As a person progresses from 3.0 to 5.0, we lose the age tied to function and we focus more on intangible assets.

In the book, the authors explore the many different ways a longer life can be a gift or a curse. Currently, those at the higher end of the economic curve, tend to enjoy longer life as a gift. Those on the lower end of the economic curve can find it a curse since they will not have the resources necessary to support a longer life.

Our longevity is increasing much faster than our ability – at the individual, business and governmental level – to deal with the increase. We need to start planning and making adjustments now.

The change will probably be a bit slow and painful. Corporations will probably be reluctant to embrace the changes needed. Governments will also struggle with the changing attitudes and needs created by longer lives. Individuals will need to be much more flexible, trading recreation for re-creation, paying more attention to and developing their intangible assets.

The 100 – year life presents lots of opportunities and a host of challenges. The authors have started an important discussion. No matter your age, you need to be aware of the changes and challenges ahead.

The authors have done extensive research on the subject and it is presented in clear, compelling manner. Their ideas are well thought out and raise questions that need to be considered by individuals, corporations and governments.

Umenice Automaitc 9-rib Travel Umbrella Windproof with 210t Fabric Teflon Black
Umenice Automaitc 9-rib Travel Umbrella Windproof with 210t Fabric Teflon Black
Offered by Umenice
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Made, Nice Size Travel Umbrella, June 4, 2016
Length:: 2:43 Mins

I live in the South and we tend to have a lot of rainy days. These are generally not all day rains, but rain at intermittent times during a day. So I often want an umbrella that is handy to carry, either in my backpack, briefcase or just in my hand. So while I want an umbrella that is convenient to carry, I also want one that will be effective in keeping the rain off me. I want one that is large enough to be effective, that is easy to deploy and one that will stand up to wind gust without turning inside out.

The Umenice Automaitc 9-rib Travel Umbrella really fits what I want/expect in an umbrella. It is very small to carry – about 11” folded up. It comes with a nice storage cover and has a wrist strap in the event I wish to carry that way.

It is easy to deploy, one button open and it has the added feature of the same one button close. There is a very wide Velcro strap to hold the umbrella closed when not in use. The strap is quite easy to release when it is time to deploy the umbrella.

There are nine ribs and they are made with steel/fiberglass and have nice strong springs to keep the umbrella from turning inside out.

The fabric is Teflon coated for additional waterproof protection.

The umbrella opens very wide – 39” and has a nice arc coverage to afford additional protection.

This is a well-made, attractive, easy to carry/deploy umbrella.

I was provided a sample for testing/review puirposes.

ProEtrade Unisex Printed Waterproof For Travel Outdoor School backpack daypack (Black B)
Offered by ProEtrade
Price: $69.99
2 used & new from $25.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, Well Designed, Very Roomy, June 4, 2016
Length:: 2:54 Mins

If you have a young girl looking for a very well designed, very functional backpack, then the ProEtrade® Waterproof Backpack/School Bag should be on your short list to look at.

The design is very colorful – the striking pink and black will appeal to young girls. The bag is made with smooth, high grade water proof material. The zippers are large, well made and operate easily.

There are three outside compartments as well as two water/juice holders. The water holder pockets are made with a mesh material and there is an adjustable retraining strap above each pocket.

The first of the three outside compartments closes with a Velcro patch. The other two are zippered compartments. All three are lined with a nylon time material.

The main compartment has a zipper closure. There is a small zippered pocket inside the main storage compartment and then there is also a larger open pouch pocket.

The straps are padded with foam rubber type material for comfort and they also have mesh covering to allow for better air circulation. There is also a handy padded carrying handle.

This is a very versatile backpack, lots of storage room, well made, and very stylish. The backpack has lots of storage room and should be able to handle a laptop, books and other supplies as well as drinks/food and some clothing.

I was provided a sample for testing/review purposes

Zinus Ultima Shredded Memory Foam Classic pillow with Bamboo Cover-Set of 2, King Size
Offered by Sleep Revolution
Price: $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Extra Large, Quite Heavy but Comfortable, June 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pillows are a bit of a challenge to review because the idea of what constitutes a good pillow varies so widely with different people. I personally like my feather pillows – soft and flexible but still offering support. I do not like overly stuffy, pillows that raise my head to high off the bed and do not have any give to them.

I found the Zinus Ultima Shredded Memory Foam Classic pillow with Bamboo Cover pillows to fall somewhere in the middle of my preference range. That is they were not the best and they are certainly not the worst pillows I have slept on.

These pillows are quite large and surprisingly heavy. They come tightly compressed and you will need to let them decompress for a day or two. They are comfortable to sleep on, but I still prefer my feather pillows. They do offer a certain amount of support but are not too firm to be uncomfortable for me.

I find that pillows are a very personal thing and what seems good to me might be great for some and not so good for others. These appear to be well made using high quality materials. I think it really comes down to what you like in a pillow. Keep in mind that there are quite large and rather heavy for a pillow.

The 10 Laws of Trust: Building the Bonds That Make a Business Great
The 10 Laws of Trust: Building the Bonds That Make a Business Great
by Joel Peterson
Price: $12.01
56 used & new from $7.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Wisdom for Better Relationships, May 31, 2016
Trust is foundational for all healthy relationships. In order to achieve our goals in life, we need the help and cooperation of others. Trust is an essential ingredient for building and maintaining relationships. Trust is also a two-way street – we must trust others and earn their trust. Trust takes time to build but can be lost or destroyed in seconds. If you are seeking ways to improve your chances of success in life, start with trust.
Joel Peterson, author of The 10 Laws of Trust, has provided a framework for developing and fostering trust in our work and personal lives.

The ten laws are very straightforward and easy to understand. We often have trouble when we fail to follow some of the laws. When trust breaks down, communication and cooperation breakdown. It becomes much more difficult to achieve our goals.

Mr. Peterson starts the discussion by defining the fundamentals. According to Mr. Peterson, there are three conditions for trust – Character, Competence and Authority. He further states that there are three types of trust – reciprocal, representative and pseudo-trust. As trust declines, people grab for power – when we encounter the absence of trust, we circle the wagons, trying to consolidate power. This further erodes trust.

Then he presents the ten laws – starting with personal integrity, showing respect for and empowering others to embracing respectful conflict, showing humility and allowing for win-win negotiations. Most of these “laws” are self-evident – things we all know but need to be reminded of.
The book is a short, quick read. But the concepts are very powerful and should be a permanent part of our lives.

Write Your Tale Off!
Write Your Tale Off!
by Mr. Robert Brown Butler
2 used & new from $8.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to Improve Your Writing?, May 30, 2016
This review is from: Write Your Tale Off! (Paperback)
I’ve always been an avid reader. Unfortunately, over the past few years, I’ve seen a steady decline in the quality of writing in currently published books. I realize that the growth in self-published books has contributed to this. But I also find that many authors are not knowledgeable in the rules of English or literary devices designed to deliver clear, concise messages. And editors seem to be a vanishing breed.

Thankfully there is help for those serious about improving their writing. Robert Brown Butler, author of Write Your Tale Off! has written a comprehensive guide for anyone wishing to improve their writing skills.

The book contains 50 lessons that range from proper word usage to sentence structure, from presenting logical arguments to entertaining the reader with humor.

The lessons are based on notes Mr. Butler collected over a 15-year period. The lessons provide valuable insight on improving the experience for the reader. Mr. Butler writes in a very engaging yet authoritative style. He employs passages from famous authors and well known works of literature.

It is not necessary to read the book from front to back. You can select a lesson a random and learn from and enjoy it as a stand-alone lesson.
The lessons do build on each other, so in general it is helpful to work from the front toward the back. But it is also helpful to use this book as a reference tool.

If you truly want to improve your writing skills, then you need to spend some time with this book on a weekly basis.

Ego Is the Enemy
Ego Is the Enemy
by Ryan Holiday
Price: $15.00
58 used & new from $10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reminder of How to Work and Live, May 30, 2016
This review is from: Ego Is the Enemy (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think we’ve all known or observed someone who was a little too full of themselves take a tumble. We often acknowledge – most of the time a little too gleefully – that their ego finally caught up with them. We tend to think that ego problems are only for those larger than life individuals with an inflated view of their self-importance.

Ryan Holiday, author of Ego is the Enemy, does an excellent job of showing how average people are impacted by ego. There is a quote by Richard Feynman at the beginning of the book, “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool.” Unfortunately, when it comes to our own behavior, we simply cannot look objectively at what we do.

The book is divided into three parts. Part One is Aspire, Part Two is Success and Part Three is Failure. Mr. Holiday summarizes the concepts in three short bullet points. We should be 1) Humble in our aspirations 2) Gracious in our success and 3) Resilient in our failures.

Most people do not believe their ego presents an obstacle to a successful life. We tend to think it is only those outrageously ambitious people that need to rein in their ego. But as Mr. Holiday shows, “Our cultural values almost try to make us dependent on validation, entitles and rules by our emotions.” We all are in danger from being ruled (and ruined) by our egos.

There are many examples of highly successful lives and careers. The central theme is that success was not driven by ego or desire for recognition. Success was driven by attention to doing the job right. Mr. Holiday reminds us of the success that John Wooden had with UCLA and that Bill Walsh had with the 49ers. Their stories along with many others, illustrate the principles Mr. Holiday is sharing.

The final part – Failures – deals with the inevitable failure that most people will experience at some point or other in their lives. When we get our identity tied up with our work, we worry about what failure will say about us as a person. There the author has some excellent words of wisdom, “Failure sucks. Deal with it. With dignity and self-respect.”

Mr. Holiday is an excellent writer. The book pulls you in, the stories are highly engaging. The wisdom is unmistakable. It is an excellent reminder for everyone. Ego is the Enemy.

The Conversion Code: Capture Internet Leads, Create Quality Appointments, Close More Sales
by Chris Smith
Price: $16.67
59 used & new from $12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide, May 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
No matter what product or service you are selling, the competition is getting tougher. Buyers are much better informed and there seems to be an increasing number of sellers chasing a shrinking number of potential buyers.

In addition, it is becoming more difficult to identify and locate potential buyers. It was not too long ago when there were only a few marketing channels. Because of the Internet, people have an almost unlimited variety of ways to focus their time and attention. If you want success in selling your product or service in such a competitive market, you cannot afford to make mistakes in your marketing or sales efforts.

Chris Smith, author of The Conversion Code, shows you how to capture Internet leads, create appointments and close more sales.
The book is divided into three parts – which follows the promise of the book. Part one shows how to capture Internet leads, Part Two teaches how to turn those leads into appointments and Part Three covers how to turn the appointments into sales.

Mr. Smith covers the basics of web pages that convert, landing pages and email campaigns. If you have been around Internet marketing for any length of time, you will know most of what he talks about. However, it is always helpful to be reminded of the small things that actually make a big difference in converting leads into customers.

Mr. Smith writes from experience. He has been in the trenches and has actually practiced what he teaches. This is an excellent guide for anyone who wants to improve their marketing and sales. The book is well written, easy to understand and the examples are clear.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20