Profile for J. D. Vu > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. D. Vu RSS Feed (Woodstock, GA)

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active Case, SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle PRO Series Full-body Rugged Hybrid Case with Built-in Screen Protector for Galaxy S5 Active (SM-G870A Water and Shock Resistant Version Smartphone), Black/Black [Not Fit Samsung Galaxy S5 Regular Version i9600], Dual Layer Design + Impact Resistant Bumper
Offered by BrilloTech
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $18.59

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY sturdy... but a little bulky..., July 24, 2014
I just got this case today and struggled a bit to put it on my new S5 Active... I wish there could have been instructions. A minor tidbit, but still.

Anyway, after securing my phone into this case, it feels well protected. I do mean <well> protected. The only drawback, is that my phone/case now feels slightly bulkier. And it's also a little heavier. Personally, I feel this goes against the slim and sleek design of the phone. If I'm going to be 'active' with it, I wouldn't want my phone to feel sluggish in my hand. Again, it's a minor tidbit and I just might be nit-picky. On the flip side, I love that this case feels very sturdy. On first impression, the material does feel like it can take a beating. I also like how it grips my hand and most surfaces that I've put it on so far.

I'll have another update after some extended use. For now, I do like it and hope that I become accustomed to it.

UPDATE 08/07/14: After some use I've gotten used to the feel of the case. It doesn't feel as bulky as it did when I first started using it. Perhaps this was due to switching from an iPhone to a bigger phone. In any case, this thing is still well protected. I dropped it once and there aren't any smudges or scratches (from dropping to a hardwood floor). The only slight, and I do mean slight, annoyance would be the charging cover at the bottom of the phone... even though there's a cut-out for the charging cover, it's a bit hard to get to when I trim my fingernails. The buttons on the side are great, and very responsive (which is a welcomed addition vs. the 'power' button/cover on the Spigen, for the iPhone 5; I used this case for a little over a year I think and that button really pissed me off). Anyway, the built-in screen protector is great, but I think it might be a little too snug against the phone's screen. I don't know if that's bad or good. All in all, I do like this case. However, once Spigen releases their S5 Active case, it may give this one a run for its money.

iPhone 5S Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for iPhone 5/5S - Retail Packaging - Metal Slate (SGP10490)
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $19.49
4 used & new from $17.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, awesome, and the best case!, February 28, 2014
Had it not been for my father-in-law promoting this case, I would have never known about it. Previously, I used the Otterbox Defender. While the Otterbox was very protective, it was also very bulky. At first I didn't mind... but after seeing other slim cases, I wanted to go back to the natural slim design of my iPhone. Besides that, the belt clip I had with the Otterbox just got in the way of things no matter where I placed it. In any case, I don't know how I missed the Spigen initially, but I researched slim cases for a time. When I finally saw the one that my father-in-law used, it sealed the deal.

My impressions of the Spigen so far (I've had it for a number of months now):

-- while it is a slim case, it still maintains some layer of protection; you can't throw it against the wall full force, of course, but it does offer a bit of protection
-- laying face down, the iPhone screen does not touch the desk/floor/etc
-- it offers a little bit of variety as you can change the back-plate
-- even though the back-plate seems like the 'glossy' type, finger prints/oils will come off easily (I just use my pants or shirts to rub the plate)
-- all of the ports/holes in the Spigen are perfect; I've never had any issues connecting cables, chargers, etc
-- my only annoyance, is with the power button at the top; it doesn't seem to register 100% so I'll sometimes have to press it more than once (not enough to take away a star, for me)
-- if I could add one thing: it would be a built-in screen protector or at least provide one that you could apply, with the case

Overall, I love this case. It keeps to the slim design of the iPhone while offering a little bit of protection. I've dropped the phone a few times now, and there aren't any dents or permanent smudges in the case. It also feels very sturdy, which is reassuring for me because I tend to bump my phone or occasionally drop it.

I would definitely recommend this case over the Otterbox.

Logitech Wireless Wave Combo Mk550 With Keyboard and Laser Mouse
Logitech Wireless Wave Combo Mk550 With Keyboard and Laser Mouse
Price: $49.99
74 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable..., February 4, 2014
I just received this combo today and have played around with it for a bit. The main reason for my purchase was for the wireless aspect. I was previously using a wired MS 3000 Comfort Curve keyboard and a Logitech MX-518 gaming mouse. I loved the feel of mouse and where the 'Back' and 'Forward' buttons were placed... so I will always purchase mouse (mice?) of that design. As for the keyboard, I really, really loved the way MS designed the "comfort curve" - I never got used to the ergonomic split keyboards. So with that, I will always seek keyboards with a similar design.

Which led me to this combo. I wanted to finally jump into the wireless world and would use my wired keyboard/mouse for the office. Here are my impressions so far:

1. Wireless signal
--> this has been strange; while my keyboard hasn't had any "hiccups," my mouse signal seems to stall every so often
--> this disables the mouse pointer from moving and it's a little annoying
--> but, since this is just the start I'll give it a few days

2. Feel of the keyboard and mouse
--> I was a little hesitant about the feel of the mouse... because I've fallen in love with the Logitech MX-518
--> I'm happy to report that this mouse feels very natural, except that the 'Back' button is further down the mouse towards the palm of my hand... just something to get used to
--> the keyboard is a little big in terms of pure size; the keyboard tray of my computer desk is one of those that doesn't pull out all the way and is glass... so while I can see through the part it's a little difficult to reach some of the buttons at the top part of the keyboard (that's just my desk, though)
--> also, with the keyboard, the alpha-keys are smaller than what I'm accustomed to from the MS 3000... so I'm having a hard time adjusting to the "B" key
--> and I'm still getting used to all of the different functions of the extra buttons; such as the media controls
--> there is one very annoying thing about the keyboard: the CAPs/NUM lock indicators; I don't know what it is about these wireless keyboards but there is no static indicator on the keyboard... it's completely digital where it will appear for just a couple of seconds on your monitor... but I want it to STAY PUT! (it never does, even when I installed the special setup app for the keyboard; there is no setting, whatsoever, to have these indicators remain on the screen) -- so. damn. annoying!!
--> I took away 1 star because of the indicators; I'm sorry if you don't agree with me here, and call me old school or whatever, but I want my friggin CAPs/NUM lock indicators to be in the 'ON' state if it's locked and not just appear for a couple of seconds (I really don't know why they decided to design wireless keyboards this way; my wireless keyboard I use at my office does the same damn thing!)

3. USB wireless receiver
--> this thing is pretty small; at first, I had thought I pushed it into the USB slot too hard because it almost disappeared on me!
--> now I don't know if it's the placement of my receiver that causes the mouse signal to cut out every once in awhile, so I'll have to update this review later
--> the nice thing is that it comes with a USB extender it looks like... so I can always use that have the receiver sit on top of my desk rather than in the back of my computer

4. keyboard use
--> the keys are extremely quiet, which is definitely a plus
--> I haven't used much of the media features, so I'll update again in the future

Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I'm still annoyed with the CAPs/NUM lock indicators, but I might get used to it. Maybe not. For now I'm enjoying the wireless aspect, because I'm a neat-freak and possibly have neatness/cleanliness OCD.

If you're looking for a recommendation on purchasing, think about the locking indicators... if it's something you cannot live without, then I would suggest looking elsewhere. I should have thought about that before making purchase, but in time I may brush this aside. Maybe.

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2048MB GDDR5 128bit, Dual Dual-Link DVI, Mini HDMI, Graphics Card (01G-P4-3651-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-3651-KR
3 used & new from $175.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, January 24, 2014
I received this card yesterday afternoon, ordering 2 of them for both my wife's PC and mine... it installed like a charm. Initially, it took a min or two for my OS to recognize the software drivers (I had already installed the latest drivers for my older card, a GTX 460, which also supported this 600 series). After that, I simply rebooted and both monitors worked fine.

Just to note: prior to ordering this card, I was under the impression that the PCI-E 3.0 cards were not backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 slots. After doing a little research, I saw that people were posting the opposite. So I took a chance. I've never been so happy to be so wrong. It fit perfectly! I just won't get the full benefits of PCI-E 3.0 speeds, but, from what I've learned in researching this, it isn't that big of a deal. So fortunately, my wife and I are still able to maintain our last-gen hardware.

As for the performance of the card, I haven't had a chance to test this on any resource-intensive PC games. I've been playing Borderlands 2, and was able to max everything on high, set AA to x8, turn everything else 'on' and there hasn't been so much as a "hiccup." Then, to further test the stability of the card, I ran into a place where there were a ton of things to kill and went to town. Despite all that was going on: explosions, reloading my weapons, enemies right up in my face, etc... I still had smooth framerates and it was glorious. Since I have a pretty big mid-tower (it should really be classified as a full tower), I'm not at all worried about air flow or the card overheating. Besides, I have three 250mm fans providing phenomenal air-flow through the case.

Anyway, I'll try to post another update once I've been able to really put this card to the test. But as of this moment, everything is awesome! I would definitely recommend this card for anyone looking to upgrade, but don't want to spend a fortune on the "latest and greatest."

Top Gun [Blu-ray]
Top Gun [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by The Big Lebowski
Price: $10.99
46 used & new from $5.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good!!, October 9, 2011
This review is from: Top Gun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I bought this movie a little while ago... and I must say, it's absolutely amazing!! I wasn't expecting the blu-ray conversion to be as good as it is, so I was really surprised when I started watching Top Gun. It brought back so many memories from when I had seen it as a kid. If you're a fan of Top Gun, you won't be disappointed. The sound is also wonderful!! And since I have a good system, the surround sounds just blew me away... it's a whole new experience now.

I also liked the special features available in the disc; though I don't know if there were any special edition DVD's that might've offered more. Overall this something to own.

Transformers / Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Two-Movie Mega Collection) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Shia LaBeouf
Price: $27.77
41 used & new from $9.68

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition..., August 29, 2011
Being a long-time fan of the Transformers franchise (I was a little kid when it first debuted; so I grew up with all variations of Transformers over the years), I would have to say that these are really fun and enjoyable live-action movies. As far as the interpretation of the whole Transformers "essence"... well, I think the first movie did a great job of capturing the essential fundamental elements that made the cartoon a huge success. The second movie, though, was made with a decent effort but ultimately fell short of my expectations - as it did with many, many other fans and movie-goers.

Anyway, I don't want to go into too much detail about the movies themselves (most of you have already seen it I'm sure). The blu-ray versions are really well done, in my opinion. Having seen this on a 52in Sony Bravia HDTV and a 55in Viera - the video quality is quite amazing. I own the Sony and my friend has the Viera; both movies appeared very clear, crisp, and the color was just beautiful (but then again, my friend and I spent hours researching optimum HDTV/blu-ray settings so that we would get the best picture quality). As well, both discs come packed with special features; and I'm always interested in the 'Making of...' and deleted scenes, outtakes, things like that. I truly enjoyed the 'behind the scenes' features about making the movies, special effects, and especially how they addressed the transformations.

Overall I would definitely recommend adding this set to your collection, whether or not you're a die-hard Transformers fan. If anything, they are really enjoyable action movies with real-life transforming robots beating the crap out of each other. =P
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2011 5:00 AM PST

GLS Audio Safe-Connect Generation 4 Gold Connector Banana Plugs Banana Clips - 20 PACK (10 Red & 10 Black)
Offered by Orange County Speaker
Price: $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful..., August 29, 2011
The only thing about banana plugs... is be careful of the type of slots they are going into. I received these as a gift, and without detailed research I found that my entertainment system (Onkyo HT-S3300) did not have a big enough slot. I needed another type of plug (the name escapes me right now, but the male end is thinner than these). So just be mindful before you make this type of purchase.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has used these for quite some time - and they seem decent enough. The surround sound still projects really well; it's clear, crisp, and no delay from what I could tell. But, that's as much experience as I've had with these.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2011 4:47 PM PST

Underworld Trilogy (Underworld / Underworld: Evolution / Underworld: Rise of the Lycans) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Underworld 3pak
11 used & new from $19.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good conversion..., August 29, 2011
My review is simply based on the quality of the blu-ray conversion and the content, not about the movie itself.

Anyway, I find that the blu-ray version is decent enough... but not anything surprisingly good from what I've seen in other movies. There are some scenes where the 'grainy' spots have not been converted very well, so that was a bummer. This is highly evident in the first movie. As you progress through the 3rd movie, the blu-ray quality begins to stand out. But, since the tone of all 3 movies is relatively dark (they are vampires after all), you may not notice the imperfections very much. The features themselves are decent as well (deleted scenes, outtakes, commentary, etc); though, I can't recall what type of features were originally available in the DVD counterparts. This is still a good set to purchase if you're a fan.

Overall I would say this is a good collection to buy if you haven't yet added the Underworld series. I have enjoyed this kind of interpretation about vampires and werewolves over most of the other related movies that I've seen. Keep in mind that this is a simple action movie based on vampires and werewolves, and the war between them... so the plot isn't something to make you ponder the mysteries of life. Other than that, I just enjoy Kate Beckinsale in tight leather. =P

Sony PS3 Street Fighter IV FightStick
Sony PS3 Street Fighter IV FightStick
19 used & new from $75.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Fighting Stick... bleh..., August 29, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I've had a chance to use this one for some time now, with Mortal Kombat for the PS3. Personally, I don't like this one much. The central joystick will sometimes get stuck for a split-second or two in certain positions (Down-Left and Up)... and the Square button is the same way. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to make it really annoying. Perhaps I got a bum arcade stick with the one I ordered. As well, the position of the buttons and the joystick make it awkward for my hand positioning - even with smaller hands than some of my friends, I find that I often clash with the left and right. This makes playing uncomfortable, as well as frustrating since I can't pull off the desired moves at times. And it makes competing online very upsetting.

The only good thing is that it's pretty durable. I'll be getting a second arcade stick, but I'm going to get the Real Arcade Pro V3 SA instead. However, if you're on a budget and need a fight stick like, now; this one will do I suppose. I would suggest that, if you buy this one, also buy a pair of durable gloves for your hands - as you'll want to pound the dang thing out of frustration every so often.

Ip Man 2 (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
Ip Man 2 (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Donnie Yen
Offered by Blue Moon Discounts
Price: $12.99
30 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Martial arts action at it's best!, May 21, 2011
Having been a fan of the first IP Man, I was really excited for the sequel. Even though the premise of the plot is pretty much the same as it is in the first movie... IP Man 2 still delivered a wonderful backstory mixed with superb martial arts action. Even Mr. Sammo Hung had a role, whereas he was simply the action choreographer in the first (I think). This is martial arts action at it's finest. With this movie, however, there was a little bit more wire-work with Donnie Yen's action sequence (especially with Sammo Hung in the scene when they go fist-to-fist). Fortunately the wire-work is very minimal - and the rest of the movie is very, very enjoyable. I took a star simply because the sequel's plot is virtually the same as the first movie; instead of Japanese soldiers, this time Ip Man is faced with defending China's honor against the British. It's still an awesome movie for those fans of the martial arts genre.

Page: 1 | 2