Profile for jesusbookgirl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 112

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jesusbookgirl RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Organic Outreach for Families: Turning Your Home into a Lighthouse
Organic Outreach for Families: Turning Your Home into a Lighthouse
by Kevin Harney
Price: $15.21
58 used & new from $2.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Organic Outreach for Families, May 1, 2013
Organic Outreach for Families by Kevin G. and Sherry Harney is a book about being a light. Not only you as an individual, but as a family. It talks about how your home can be a warm place for people to come to and a safe haven for your children and their friends. It's a book about spiritual growth as well as growing closer to one another through the grace of Jesus Christ. To summon it up, it's none of the preservatives, or fake chemicals of commercial Christianity, just all natural home grown goodness that God intended it to be
:-)

As our small little family is growing up, my kids are no longer in the shelter of our quaint home. Kylar is off to preschool and ballet, Drew is in swim lessons, and who knows what our sweet Livie will do, but they're outside in the world. Where the harshness of the world, can sometimes be overwhelming. I loved this book because it talked about living your faith with your family. It was a great reminder to me, that if we raise our children with the message of Jesus, sharing His grace, and His love, there is a big chance that I am giving them tools to be small beacons of light in public school and their friends. It was a really great book and I hope anyone with a family will read this and take the important lessons from it to help your family create an organic outreach.

*This book was given to me via booksneeze in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Love at Any Cost: A Novel (The Heart of San Francisco)
Love at Any Cost: A Novel (The Heart of San Francisco)
by Julie Lessman
Price: $11.55
64 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun Christian romance, April 21, 2013
Love at Any Cost by Julie Lessman is by far my favorite book that this author has ever written. It doesn't hurt that our main character Cassidy McClare is an oil heiress from Texas (my hometown). Poor Cassidy had been jilted, one week away from her wedding. To escape the cruel remarks, she travels to San Francisco to nurse her wounded heart and to hopefully escape the gossips. Little did she expect the same type of man who broke her heart to literally knock her over when she steps off the train. Can she keep grounded enough to not get hurt again or is Cassidy in a load of trouble.

Like I so stated in the above statement this book was fun to read. Not only did I feel that Ms. Lessman did a great job weaving faith and God's love into it, but as always she writes surprises behind every page turn. I think you'll appreciate how well she writes about the historical aspect of the book too. The gilded age is by far one of my favorite time periods to read about and Ms. Lessman did not let me down. So dear readers, if you're looking for a fun romance, with new twists and turns please read Love at Any Cost.

"Available April 15, 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

The Scent of Lilacs (Hollyhill Series, Book 1)
The Scent of Lilacs (Hollyhill Series, Book 1)
by Ann H. Gabhart
Price: $12.78
120 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Scent o Lilacs, March 23, 2013
Scent of Lilacs is the story about the Brooke family. This tale is narrated by Jocie Brooke, a young lady full of wit and frank truth, she is a girl after my own heart. Jocie feels that everything seems to be unfolding the summer of 1964. Not only does her life have many unanswered questions including why her mother left, but the town is full of mystery and intrigue. Can Jocie find out the truth and when she does will she regret learning about it?

Ms. Gabhart has a way with writing characters so real and situations that could happen that I find myself immersed in her books wondering the what if's. She doesn't cover sin up, but the blatant truth of it is clear to any reader. She uses her pen to show the world what sin can and will do. She also writes with clarity of what Christ can and will do in ones life. Dear readers if you want a book that will grab hold of you, and keep you thinking into the night I highly suggest you read Scent o Lilacs. It is poignant, beautiful, at times laugh at loud, and definitely cry out loud too.
"Available March 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."
*This book was given to me via Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Shattered (Alaskan Courage) (Volume 2)
Shattered (Alaskan Courage) (Volume 2)
by Dani Pettrey
Price: $11.97
70 used & new from $2.69

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, March 20, 2013
Shattered by Dani Pettrey is the second book in the Alaskan Courage series. The Mckenna family is once again in a bind when their brother Reef is incriminated with murder. Not only is the evidence steeped against him, but so is the town's people he once grew up with. The only thing Piper Mckenna can do is her own investigation. Deputy Landon Grainger has been Pipers best friend for years and the last thing he wants is to arrest her brother for murder. As the two join together to investigate the murder, they realize a deadly game is being played, that the two might not make it out alive.

This book is a hold on to your horse, this is going to be a fast ride. If you love a good mystery, dear readers this is the book for you. Not only does Ms. Pettrey dish out the suspense, but she adds just enough romance in it to keep me cheering for Piper and Landon. Even though I haven't had the pleasure of reading the first book, I didn't feel that it put too much of a damper reading Shattered. So dear readers if you haven't already read the first book of the series don't feel shy go ahead and jump into Shattered you won't regret it.

*This book was given to me via Bethany House a division of Baker Publishing Group in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Love in a Broken Vessel: A Novel
Love in a Broken Vessel: A Novel
by Mesu Andrews
Price: $10.84
73 used & new from $1.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Love in a Broken Vessel, March 16, 2013
Love in a Broken Vessel by Mesu Andrews is about the book Hosea from the Bible. If you're not familiar with the book of Hosea. Hosea was a prophet in Israel, and he was asked by God to marry a prostitute to show God's love for his bride (Israel) and the bride's repeated adultery on God. It is a book full of compassionate love in the face of blatant sin.

When I first heard that Ms. Andrews would be writing about Hosea and Gomer I kind of was like "Oh snap she just took a big leap". If you're not familiar with Francine Rivers Redeeming Love it replicates the book of Hosea like Love in a Broken Vessel. What Ms. Andrews did differently (which I will say is in her favor) she literally took the book and made it fictional instead of placing it in a different time and different characters. I enjoyed reading about familiar prophets and kings of the time. I really loved envisioning the culture of that time and connecting the pieces to a puzzle (i.e. the Bible) that were slightly fuzzy to me. This was a good read that stayed respectful to the actual events. So dear readers if you like a good fictional book about Bible characters I highly suggest you read Love in a Broken Vessel.
This book was given to me via Revell a divions of Baker Publishing Group in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Longing (Bailey Flanigan, Book 3)
Longing (Bailey Flanigan, Book 3)
by Karen Kingsbury
Price: $9.98
322 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, March 13, 2013
Longing by Karen Kingsbury is the third book in the Bailey Flanigan Series. Bailey is an aspiring, talented actress making her way in the broadway/acting world. She faces struggles living and acting in such a secular job, but her faith is strong. During this time she faces a hard choice to go back to her first love who has basically ignored her for a year or to start anew with heartthrob Brandon Paul? What is a girl to do?

Ok, believe it or not this is my first Karen Kingsbury book! I have been told for years to read her as an author, but it never seemed smart to me to just jump in to a middle of a series. So when I saw this book available for bloggers through Zondervan I figured better just jump in and see if you like her. So I did, and I sure am glad I did. First off I am so, for team Brandon,( I don't have the background knowledge of team Cody) for me I read about a man who was truly pursuing the woman he wants to be with. Cody in this book seemed incredibly wishy washy, which for me means he shouldn't commit to any relationship.

*Spoilers following!!!!

Now I can understand readers who have read about Cody and Bailey from the beginning, but like in life you don't always get your fairy tale with the first person you fell in love with. I can really relate to Bailey on this topic and I am ever so grateful that my first love and I didn't work out, because I got a way better man in my husband. So for me this book rocked, but I can understand why so many other readers were disappointed. So dear readers if you haven't invested in team Cody or you felt the way I feel, I highly suggest Longing by Karen Kingsbury.

Moonlight Masquerade: A Regency Romance
Moonlight Masquerade: A Regency Romance
by Ruth Axtell
Price: $12.92
115 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Moonlight Masquerade, March 9, 2013
Moonlight Masquerade by Ruth Axtell is the story about Lady Celine Wexham. She is a French widow living as an English countess during 1813. Rees Phillips has been given the assignment to figure out if Lady Celine is spying for Napoleon Bonaparte or just enjoying her life as a lady on English soil.

This is a fun romance, full of adventure and mystery. I just had a slight problem with the historical aspect of it. Lady Celine is clearly a revolutionist. Now I know that the French Revolution brought a lot of liberties to France and allowed many people opportunities that would have never happened under noble rule. Did you also know that the Catholic Church was desecrated, priest's and nuns were killed, churches were burned to the ground during this time. The churches of France suffered greatly, because the revolutionist's thought that the church restricted the liberties of the French people. I had a hard time knowing this and then seeing our main character be someone who would except this. Especially when she learns of Christ's love and salvation. Revolutions are not pretty and every story has two sides to it. Unfortunately because I know the background and historical aspect this book was just not as enjoyable as it could be. A lot of you might not have a problem reading it, but I wanted to give you a heads up if you are a history buff.

“Available March 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”
This book was given to me via Revell a division of Baker Publishing in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Who Do You Think You Are?: Finding Your True Identity in Christ
Who Do You Think You Are?: Finding Your True Identity in Christ
by Mark Driscoll
Price: $12.98
162 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Who Do You Think You Are?, February 28, 2013
Who Do You Think You Are by Mark Driscoll takes you through certain questions to help you define who you are as a Christian. It's a book that will bring up questions to think about your past, present, and future. It will take you through the scripture to see how to truly be like Christ.

I think this book would be a great starter book for new Christians. Not only does it deal with struggling with past sins, but it helps you see what could possibly be holding you back from having a deeper relationship with Christ. Now for you Christians who have been one for a while, don't think that this book wouldn't be for you either. It really is a good reminder of who Christ is, and what we are to be too. This isn't a fluffy book, it's chalk full of in depth research and content, but don't let it scare you :) Just dive in and take it chapter by chapter, you dear readers will not regret it!

*This book was given to me via Booksneeze in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

When the Heart Heals: A Novel (Sisters at Heart)
When the Heart Heals: A Novel (Sisters at Heart)
by Ann Kirk Shorey
Price: $13.43
71 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars When the Heart Heals, February 25, 2013
When the Heart Heals by Ann Shorey is the story of Rosemary Saxon. Rosemary helped serve in the Civil War as a nurse. Unfortunately because of her unfeminine position people have ostracized her in the small town she lives in. Being a single woman she doesn't have a choice, but to continue as a nurse with Dr. Elijah Steward. Even before she starts her job, threatening notes start beginning to be left on her doorstep telling her to stop her witchcraft. Will she be able to stay in town or will she be forced to leave because of the towns view of women in the medical field.

Ms. Shorey has an incredible way with words. She builds a great story with them, that touches on a little bit of everything. From conflict, to medical issues, and history of post Civil War you will feel immersed in a great read. If you are a history romance buff I would highly recommend this book because it's an interesting point of view that I haven't really read much about. She also does a great job with weaving God's awesome love into each part of the story. You will not regret reading this book.
"Available February 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

Ring of Secrets (Culper Ring Series)
Ring of Secrets (Culper Ring Series)
by Roseanna M. White
Price: $11.27
71 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting twist to a story, February 21, 2013
Ring of Secrets by Roseanna M. White is the story of Winter Reeves. A young girl looking for a husband in the very elite and loyalist sect in Revolutionary America. Though she plays the flirtatious young miss she is actually a young woman on the look out for secrets that she could give to the Patriots. What she didn't expect was to meet Bennet Lane a man with his own secrets. These two play a deadly game that could end up in death if they don't rely on the One who is in control of everything.

This was a very interesting twist to the story, and I really found myself immersed in this book. It's been a long time since I've found myself that immersed, that I looked at the clock and I was like "eek it's 11:30 at night, must put book down and go to bed". Ms. White not only knows how to write a good romance, but I loved the historical aspect of it too. Seeing timeless figures from history come alive was a fun aspect, and I also enjoyed how well she wrote. I'll definitely be reading more from this author.
*Available March 1, 2013
*This book was given to me via Harvest House Publishers in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12