Profile for Pam Elmore > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pam Elmore RSS Feed

Health, Wealth & Happiness: Has the Prosperity Gospel Overshadowed the Gospel of Christ?
by David W. Jones
Price: $11.61
65 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done, but..., April 19, 2011
Last November, Buffalo Bills receiver Stevie Johnson dropped a touchdown pass in overtime, costing his team the game. Afterward, he tweeted an angry message, blaming God for the drop:

"I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO..."
I don't follow football, and I don't know anything about this player or his theology. (Well, I do know a little about his theology based on the tweet, but haven't most of us felt that way at one time or another, even for just a second? I mean, I have. It's one of many reasons I'm not on Twitter.)

But the big thing I notice about that tweet is this: underneath, there seems to be a belief that, more than anything, God is all about my personal earthly flourishing. More to the point, health, wealth and success are God's reward for my faith.

The problem is, when something goes wrong -- professionally, relationally, financially, physically -- such faith crumbles.

To me, that's the biggest danger of the so-called "prosperity gospel": if my faith is based on God coming through for me, what happens to that faith when I get sick, or slip on the ice, or lose a job, or lose a loved one? When misfortune or disaster strikes, I'm left to assume God hates me, or that He doesn't exist.

Or there's the alternative to blaming God: blaming my own lack of faith. And as a counselor, I can't help but hurt for those who see suffering as evidence of a lack of faith, adding a layer of self-blame to the pain they're already in.

Either way, when stuff happens (and it will), we're left with nothing but despair. And that runs counter to biblical teaching.

In Health, Wealth & Happiness, authors David Jones and Russell Woodbridge discuss the prosperity gospel's recent rise in popularity, not only in the United States, but also in developing countries around the world, where followers connect American wealth with Christian faith.

The authors endeavor to show how the prosperity gospel came about, demonstrate how prosperity teaching is based on ideas outside the Bible, and offer solid biblical correction to prosperity doctrine's claims.

(read the rest of the review here:[...])
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 4:26 AM PST

The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
by Scot McKnight
Price: $15.83
104 used & new from $3.21

4.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful and accessible guide, April 7, 2011
Anyone who has read the Bible is aware of passages that are difficult to understand, passages that are difficult to put into practice, passages that can raise issues when one group declares a passage to be culturally limited and another insists it is not.

For those who wish to understand the Bible and apply its truths to everyday life, these difficult passages must be dealt with. But how?

(read the rest of the review here: [...])