Profile for Crispee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Crispee RSS Feed (Westminster, CO United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Transparent
Transparent
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforming., February 13, 2015
This review is from: Transparent (Amazon Instant Video)
You can tell a show is challenging the norm when you get so many 1 and 5 star reviews here and yes, it probably isn't for everyone (like the person who thinks everything should be "for kids"...) But it is an amazing journey into a piece of work that really transcends television and feels like a very engaging and long independent film. The characters are not your usual stereotypes, the episodes don't follow neat little simple plot devices, the people are not all likable and many are really hateful in many ways -- so if you are used to spoon fed network slop then you probably won't like it.

It is a "messy" show in many ways. The lighting, the sets, the makeup, the shots -- nothing is scrubbed and perfect. But it feels oh so real and so penetrating as if there is nothing in between you and the story and the emotion. The sex is plentiful (which does seem to be a thing nowadays on cable and streaming shows) but it seldom feels extraneous but more about the raw urges of the characters coming through. Frankly it also highlights how the people around Maura are far more messed up than she is.

Jeffrey Tambour is a wonder in this. He's taken away everything he's done and just is laid bare and so vulnerable. But the show doesn't solely focus on him, and really takes you on many roads through the people who he has brought up.

Maybe it isn't for everyone - but everyone would be better for experiencing it.

Unbroken (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet)
Unbroken (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Jack O'Connell
Price: $22.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do justice to the story, January 26, 2015
If you've not read the book and are unwilling to spend that time then by all means - you may love this movie. If you've read the book then it will probably be a nice way to see things that you read about but doesn't get close to the raw, unvarnished suffering that our POWs went through as told through Louis Zamperini. This probably would have been better served as an HBO series ala Band of Brothers where it could have really drawn out into the time it needed to show everything including what happens after the war which is really the 3rd act of the book but is totally missing from the movie since I'm guessing they didnt' want it to run 3 hours which it should have.

The cast is fine, the photography is fine, the direction is fairly safe. Nothing bad but not particularly successful. Do yourself a favor and read the book.

The Man in the High Castle [HD]
The Man in the High Castle [HD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great production values, January 21, 2015
I've only read a bit of the book so didn't know what to expect but this series is definitely unique. All of the characters are a mystery at this point and nothing is really revealed by the first episode but what they have done is an amazing piece of work when you consider this is a pilot. The effects, sets, costumes and sense of place and time are all incredibly vast and detailed. Maybe it will go nowhere but at this point I am intrigued.

Point of Honor [HD]
Point of Honor [HD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start to a show, January 18, 2015
This series really intrigues me as I think the period is something that no one ever does. I remember watch The Blue and the Gray as a kid and loving it and it would be great to have something like that again. Of course, this show is not that. I was amazed at the high production values, the battle scenes and the amount of unique camera work that was done for a pilot. No short cuts were taken. I don't think it is great yet but here's hoping they get a chance. The male actors are so far above what the women are doing though -- not sure why. The female characters/actresses seem more "Mean Girls" than 1861 southerners. Almost cringworthy at times. Thankfully the rest of the crew saves it somewhat.

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Game Guide
Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Game Guide
by David Knight
22 used & new from $38.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and very useful, December 2, 2014
If you like completing everything and/or tend to get stuck on things then this is indispensable. yes, you can look it up on the internet but with this at my side i tend to not get frustrated at certain things. There are also some things especially at the beginning that i just didn't get and this answered my questions. The maps are great help especially when you need to find that one missing piece, or if you want to get an idea where you should poke around a bit more since many things in the game are well-hidden.

Dragon Age Inquisition (Deluxe Edition) -  PlayStation 4
Dragon Age Inquisition (Deluxe Edition) - PlayStation 4
Offered by TheFactoryDepot
Price: $79.99
23 used & new from $35.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing RPG, November 22, 2014
I'm not totally done with it but after having spent alot of time with it I'm loving it. The world is rich with life and narrative. The characters are well done and the dialog interesting. Very similar to previous DA titles but with alot of improvement.

I'm surprised at the comments about the graphics on PS4. Really? They are mind blowing. Yes the lip synch is pretty off but that doesn't affect the game world whatsoever. Some times i just go on walks to enjoy the scenery.

There is alot of complexity and depth. So many things to find so just wander around and go everywhere as you never know where it is going to lead. You can do whatever you want in what order you want so it feels very free.

HP LaserJet Pro 200 M251nw Wireless Color Printer (CF147A#BGJ)
HP LaserJet Pro 200 M251nw Wireless Color Printer (CF147A#BGJ)
Price: Click here to see our price
73 used & new from $119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for graphic design, July 8, 2014
First color laser that I've purchased for myself after having a ton of ink jets. Since I do graphic design i needed something that could output proofs for print work and the inkjets were just terrible - smeary prints, slow speed, ink that would run out or clog and leave lines.

Well finally I have a printer that outputs great quality. Note - this is not a photo printer and image printing is just so-so but good enough for me to gauge a design. Prints come out in a matter of seconds and look spectacular. Especially line art. I'm amazed at the even tone and color.

I invested in a pack of the super high quality HP laser jet paper and I'm glad I did.

Sure there's probably better ones out there for a thousand dollars but at this price you get a really solid machine.

Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler with 250 Square Foot Cooling, 500 CFM
Offered by WeCarryAll
Price: $164.99
28 used & new from $113.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do, June 10, 2014
I have an upstairs home office that gets absolutely scorching due to my computer giving off tons of heat and just generally being upstairs. My usual option is to set the downstairs temperature to 67/68 degrees so it can get down to at least 77 up here.

I bought this to try and give some relief and it really does. No, it's not an A/C unit, more like a big fan that blows cool air -- but you can really tell the difference. Note that I am in Colorado and there is little to no humidity here very often on hot days.

My main gripe is that the unit shuts off due to low water in the tank when it has surprisingly a lot of water in it. Not sure what I'm missing why this has to be so full but there you go. It comes with two freezer ready packs to place in the water to keep it extra cold if you want to use them. Not required.

So far i'm please with it.

Honeywell QuietCare Humidifier HCM-6009, 9-Gallon
Honeywell QuietCare Humidifier HCM-6009, 9-Gallon
Price: $99.99
106 used & new from $64.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, November 16, 2011
I was worried after reading some of the reviews on here but I'm glad to say it is a great product.

I've tried the little ones you can get at Target or wherever and yes they are cheaper but there's no comparison to the effectiveness. I have a temperature and humidity gauge on my desk (and lately the humidity has been 8-12%. Today it was a bit higher at 19% when i set this baby up and got it running.

I soaked the filter as instructed and got the water in. Not a whole lot of dripping and the containers fill up easy in the bathtub.

A few hours later and the humidity gauge reads 42%! Incredible. Yes this was on high and no the noise is not that bad. It's kinda like white noise, you just don't notice it after a bit.

I notice a huge difference so far so my hopes are high that it will continue working great.

Ambient Weather WS-1171A Wireless Advanced Weather Station with Temperature, Dew Point, Barometer and Humidity
Price: $39.99
12 used & new from $27.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great station and great service, October 18, 2011
My other brand of wireless station died so i went shopping for a new one and found this on Amazon. I liked the fact it had humidity readings as well without adding alot of weird gadgets outside.

After getting it I am very pleased with how it operates. Took a little reading to get everything calibrated right but not much.

I did have a little problem with my unit and the Ambient customer service was top notch all the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7