Profile for Logan A. Harp > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Logan A. Harp "aboywhoplaysguitar" RSS Feed

Sonic Colors - Nintendo Wii
Sonic Colors - Nintendo Wii
Offered by FRONTIER HOBBY SHOP
Price: $16.14
114 used & new from $4.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, November 16, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been a fan of Sonic since the first time I picked up Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega Genesis. Unfortunately, he's tested my will for the last several years with some horrible 3D efforts.

Sonic Colors, surprisingly, gets everything right. As I played through the game, I couldn't help but anticipate something wrong to happen...it was just too good to be true. This time, they throw in some aspects new to the series, in the form of small aliens called Wisps that give you different powers. These are a fun addition to the series, and allows for much more creative level design without slowing down the Sonic speed that we play the games for.

The story is mostly standard, cutesy Sonic fare, with the welcomed addition of some honest, self-aware humor from Sonic Team. The graphics are some of the best on the Wii, in both character and level design. Like the name says, the colors and lighting are gorgeous on this game. Even the sound is good...the voice acting is actually pretty decent!

The biggest plus is the gameplay, which unsurprisingly, plays a bit like a faster Super Mario Bros game. The controls are tight, and the level design is nearly perfect. Sonic still moves fast, and this time it's actually fun to control. There's about 12 hours of gameplay through the story, and a lot of incentive to keep playing to find the challenging red rings in the levels. The game suddenly hits you with a big difficulty curve. I had quite a few moments of frustration that nearly killed the entire game for me. We're talking serious wanna-chuck-the-controller-into-expensive-television moments.

Pros: Great graphics, level design, and gameplay.
Cons: Steep difficulty curve, some menus look very thrown-together.

In conclusion, this is a great game I'd recommend to new gamers, and experienced veterans alike. It's the first Sonic game of the last three years I can honestly tell fans of the series to go pick up.