Profile for E. Agarwal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Agarwal RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Getting a Job in Hedge Funds: An Inside Look at How Funds Hire
Getting a Job in Hedge Funds: An Inside Look at How Funds Hire
Price: $33.17

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong Brand Name, Unfortunate Book, October 10, 2011
I was under the impression that Glocap is generally considered to be the most reputable head hunter in the hedge fund space, so I figured they would have some valuable insight into the process.

Unfortunately, this book fails to deliver on multiple fronts. To echo another reviewer, there is little practical content that I can apply to my search. There are some cases, but nothing that particularly helps me find a job. I need practical advice, not generalizations.

I actually did some further research into Glocap after reading this, and it turns out that although it says Glocap Design Firm, this is actually them: [..]

The negative reviews made me feel like I was right to dislike this book.

I recently purchased this other guide that just came out (albeit its Kindle only) called Hedge Fund Job Report. It's pretty short, so when I get through it I'll come back and provide an update.

[..]

Life
Life
by Keith Richards
Price: $29.99
468 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Phenomenal - Similar in Quality and Candor to the Beatles Anthology, October 26, 2010
This review is from: Life (Hardcover)
The other reviewers have already done an excellent job of summarizing the topics he speaks of in the book, so I won't pile on that. I just wanted to emphasize the quality and openness and candor of this memoir.

Many mocked his quote in the beginning that he truly remembers all of it, but it's abundantly clear that not only does he remember, but he's willing and eager to share it.

Sure, the $7mm advance helps, but we've all read much-hyped bios that turned out to be self-congratulatory, unimpressive paper weights.

This is not that. You will learn more about Keith than the most die hard fans do, and learn that he's far more than the caricature of a drug-abusing burned out rock star that the media often paints him out to be.

I'm blown away.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2012 2:07 AM PDT

King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone
by David Carey
45 used & new from $8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating Read - I Finished It In a Day, October 6, 2010
My favorite Stephen Schwarzman story is a personal one. I used to work at Lehman Brothers as an investment banker. We were (of course) bookrunners on the Blackstone IPO, and as was typical for every other IPO, the management of the company comes and teaches our traders about the value of the company. They, in turn, go and pitch the stock to their clients.

Usually it's the CEO and CFO of a company generating about $20mm of net income, an $86mm IPO, and we would struggle to fill the room. In this case, it was Stephen Schwarzman. The man was already a billionaire several times over, and the room was standing room only. Dick Fuld himself came down from the perch of the 33rd floor, and told a room full of his own employees and Stephen Schwarzman, "If we do this IPO right, Steve will be worth more than this whole company."

Boy, he had no idea how right he was.

When I heard this book was coming out, the finance nerd in me eagerly awaited and found it which local store would get it the fastest because I didn't want to wait for the online shipping time.

So, I bought it yesterday and read it in a day. It's awesome. Steve is a genius in so many ways, and the book does a good job of balancing personal/lighter stories along with the heavier finance stuff. You learn about Pete Peterson (author of the scary Running on Empty), and how together, they formed what's still the worlds largest PE firm.

I'm being purposly vague because I want people to read and experience this book for themselves.

Get it, read it. You won't be disappointed.

PlayStation Move Starter Bundle
PlayStation Move Starter Bundle
Offered by Quick Buys
Price: $47.90
93 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Advantage of Going Second - Move > Wii, September 17, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The Wii was a revolutionary experience, and really really fun. Nintendo did a great job with it and deserve all the credit (and money) they got for it.

The Move takes what the Wii did and builds on it with great success. It's just a better device. Precision and accuracy are considerably better, the device feels good in your hand, and with standard Sony design, it just looks better. I've always been a proponent of matching (all black) media equipment, so I never liked how my Wii stood out like a sore thumb in my entertainment center. The Move fits a lot better.

The Wii's precision left a lot to be desired. The hand icon would shake a lot as you were pointing and clicking, even when I was aiming directly. That's no longer the case with the Move. It really feels like it's a mouse for your TV; that level of control, that level of accuracy, that level of precision.

The games are good, although I've always enjoyed Wii games, so I'm not sure that Sony has done any better on that front. That said, I'm sure as more and more games come out for this, it'll be better than the Wii games (just because PS3 games are always awesome.)

One final thing is price. You already spent nearly $300 on your PS3, and then another $100 for this is a lot of money when you can get a Wii for $200. So if you are budget conscious, perhaps the Wii is the better option. The Move is certainly better, but not for someone who would also need to buy a PS3. What I"m saying is, don't buy a PS3 just so you can get Move. If you have one already, definitely go for it. If you don't, and you want to save some money, go with the Wii.

Enjoy!
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2011 1:50 PM PST

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen
817 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves You Wanting More, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Freedom (Hardcover)
I heard some time ago that Frenzen was going to release a new book, so I've been eagerly awaiting this book for quite some time. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint.

I think books that speak about our current state of society in a realistic way are always interesting, unfortunately it's a hard task to do it well. Franzen is one of the few who can. I don't want to give away plot details, but the character development, the way the story develops and grows on itself, and an incredible ending kept me deeply involved the entire time I was reading it.

As the other reviewer mentioned, the ending certainly is emotional, but very, very well done. I really did wish there was more (even though it was a decently long book.)

Good call by Oprah, as usual.

PlayStation Portable 3000 Core Pack System - Piano Black
PlayStation Portable 3000 Core Pack System - Piano Black
Offered by PNP Games
Price: $135.50
207 used & new from $89.04

5.0 out of 5 stars How I Decided Between PSP GO and PSP 3000, August 15, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've spent the last few weeks doing some research on which to buy, and finally caved and bought a PSP GO. I ended up returning it and buying the PSP 3000, and here's why:

1. Physical comfort.

I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for things that are new and look cool (sometimes at the cost of utility.) Plus, things that slide are undoubtedly awesome. Sony knew that when they made the GO. The problem is the "cool" and "new" factors are outweighed by the smaller screen and compressed controls. Also, I thought it would be better having the controls on the bottom wh en gaming, and have a less distracting view when watching movies since the buttons would be hidden, but I was wrong. The buttons on the side are far more comfortable, convenient, and surprisingly natural. The bigger screen actually does make a difference, and the L and R buttons just feel more natural this way.

One thing to note about the screens (both have the same resolution):

They're good, but not great. The problem is we're spoiled now. If you have a smartphone (which if you don't, I feel like I don't even know you,) you'll be disappointed when you see some things on the screen that are just so clearly pixelated. I'm going to post a video review in a bit and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2. Digital games vs. UMD (the names of the physical discs that the 3000 uses.)

For those who don't know, the PSP GO uses digital games exclusively. There are no physical discs. You download games from the Playstation Network store. It's convenient since you don't have to carry discs around, and you have immediate access to a huge selection.

The 3000 uses physical discs (UMD) as well as downloads. Now, carrying discs around is definitely a hassle (even though they're only about 2 inches by 2 inches), but the benefit is that you can buy used discs for very cheap, an option not available with the digital only GO.

***IMPORTANT TIP***

At GameStop, you can buy used PSP UMDs for cheap, and they have a great return policy. For any reason, you can return any used game within 7 days for a full refund, to any GameStop in the country. If you don't have your receipt, you have to return it to the location where you bought it.

***/IMPORTANT TIP***

3. Price

This is often overlooked but I think very important. The retail price for the GO is $250, which is pretty crazy given that you can often find a PS3 for $250, or at worst, $300. Given that you can get a full system for 20% more, it's hard to justify spending that much for considerably less functionality.

Now on Amazon you can get the GO go for $200, plus tax and such leads to about $215. On NewEgg, you can get the PSP 3000 with Madden 11, free shipping and no tax for $170. So you'll end up paying at least $45 more, but for what?

You are really spending $45 more for no reason. And with this extra $45, comes the responsibility to spend even more on games that you buy directly from the PlayStation network as opposed to used UMDs.

4. Memory Stick

***IMPORTANT TIP***

If you do decide to get a GO, it uses something called the M2. If you buy it from Amazon, you get a 4GB for $15 and it comes with an adapter for the Memory Stick Duo:

If you buy a 3000, it uses the Memory Stick Duo, which if you buy by itself, a 4GB will run you ~$19:

I know it's only a matter for $4, but I thought that was interesting (I need to get out more) and worth mentioning.

***/IMPORTANT TIP***

5. Fun level

They're both freaking fun. Sony knows what they're doing, the games are great, the devices are both portable and easy to take around, and keep you entertained for hours. Either way, you'll love what you bought.

6. WRAP UP

I ended up with a 3000 and I'm happy with it. I couldn't justify spending nearly as much money as I would on a full system without getting much in return. And the ability to buy used games for considerably less was also hugely attractive. Finally, the better placement of the controls really won me over.

Enjoy!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 5:23 PM PDT

Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1
Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1
2 used & new from $160.00

1,010 of 1,053 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I Hoped It Would Be, August 8, 2010
Length:: 1:38 Mins

I own two of these, and the way you have to slide the parts back and forth is different then any other card reader I've own or seen, so I thought a video review would be helpful.

Enjoy!
Comment Comments (43) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 11:05 AM PST

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
by Roger Lowenstein
Price: $9.28
248 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Read It While Sitting At Your Computer, Improves Your Experience 10x, August 2, 2010
I read almost exclusively non-fiction, and even within that, a majority are finance related. What I like doing is reading while I'm sitting by my computer, so I can look up the people they mention and see what they're doing today. Chances are, if you're mentioned in a best-selling novel, there's something more out there about you online.

So, for example, while I read this book I learned about Meriwether's recent plays, that even after having such a catastrophic experience with one fund, he's had no problem raising money for two more. I think knowing that, among other things, makes reading this book all the more exciting.

It's a well written book, with good anecdotes and clear writing. But you already knew that from the other 240+ reveiews. I just wanted to recommend reading this book in context of present day. It'll take you longer to read it, but believe me, it will be worth it.

Logitech Wireless Desktop MK 300
Logitech Wireless Desktop MK 300
7 used & new from $18.45

5.0 out of 5 stars From a MacBook Owner's Perspective, July 20, 2010
I use a early 2009 13in MacBook which is connected to an external Samsung monitor and this set of keyboard/mouse.

I couldn't be happier.

When I'm at work, I actively miss it.

One of my biggest concerns when purchasing thing was the inability to ALT-TAB, or in a Mac, Apple+Squiggly my way through programs. It works with this. You use the Windows key as the Apple button, and can easily tab between programs as well as windows.

Perhaps the best feature: I use VMWare to concurrently run Windows 7 on my Mac, and it switches seamlessly between being a Mac keyboard and a PC keyboard. Using the Windows key, Alt, and Tab, I can navigate programs in OS X, different windows of programs in OS X, switch over the Vista, and switch between programs/windows there, all without using the mouse.

Finally, I've owned this for several months, and not once have I lost connection.

Mac users, don't worry about anything. This device is built for us. Well, not really, but you get what I'm saying.

Enjoy!

American Crew Pomade, 3.0-Ounce Jar, Packaging May Vary (Pack of 2)
American Crew Pomade, 3.0-Ounce Jar, Packaging May Vary (Pack of 2)
Offered by Beauticonic
Price: $25.85
16 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE Price - Stop Shopping Around, July 20, 2010
I realize I may sound like an Amazon shill here, but I promise I'm not.

Everything has already been said about how great of a product this is (which is why I gave it five stars).

I just wanted to tell people to stop shopping elsewhere for a better price. Especially with the 15% savings for signing up for a subscription (which can be cancelled anytime, even after the first order), this is the best price you'll find out there.

My local drug store sells this for $18/EACH, and various other online stores charge about $15 each.

If you've decided you want this, buy it here.

I promise, promise I don't work for Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2