Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Richard C. Drew > Reviews

Browse

Richard C. Drew's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2289
Top Reviewer Ranking: 410

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard C. Drew "In heaven, all the interesting people are missing - Nietzsche" RSS Feed (Oak Lawn, IL USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lifeline Wall Ball, Red/Black, 10 lb.
Lifeline Wall Ball, Red/Black, 10 lb.
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, larger than expected. Lots you can do with it - not just wall exercises., February 11, 2016
This review is from: Lifeline Wall Ball (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a cross between a football, basketball and medicine ball. The covering is similar to the textured vinyl bottom found on many tool bags - so it's durable and easy to grip. It's also a LOT bigger than I expected. I have a 10# medicine ball - that's about 30% smaller. I've included two photos - one with the Everlast medicine ball for comparison, and another closeup of the material. You can see it's designed to be a little slick and not damage surfaces.

I'd never heard of a wall ball before, so I checked out Youtube. Since I'm using this at home, I can't really use a wall. But I love this for stretching, twisting and light-weight exercises. Since it's so much larger than a medicine ball, you need a wider grip. It's a totally different workout.

The construction is top-notch, and it feels heavier than 10# - probably because of the size.

If you're looking for a wall ball - or just a different type of medicine ball - check this out!
Comment Comment | Permalink

SiFree Adjustable Men's Full Finger Military Tactical Gloves (XL, Black)
SiFree Adjustable Men's Full Finger Military Tactical Gloves (XL, Black)
Offered by SiFree
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, well made, love the knuckles and wrist strap. Many nice features. Great for shooting sports and cosplay., February 11, 2016
I'll start with the fit - I typically wear a large, but needed an XL in these, so they do fir 1 size small.

I have a few different pairs of tactical gloves. I use them for cosplay, paintball and airsoft. The knuckle guards in tactical gloves fall into three categories (at least the pairs I have): Carbon fiber ($35 a pair), stiff rubbery plastic ($13.00 a pair), and these which look like a layered and laminated nylon. They are not as tough as the carbon fiber, but a LOT stronger that the plastic. I punched my knuckles together - hard - a few times with no damage to the gloves, or my knuckles. Hardly felt it. The padding works great.

These won't take the place of leather work gloves - they're not as tough as good work gloves. But for shooting sports or even as legal knuckles, they're great. I especially like the finger design. The real has pleats that flex, making the fingers easy to bend. The gloves also breathe - the trade off is that they have little insulation value. Wind cuts through them.

They *look* great. If you need something to round of the paramilitary look, these are perfect. If you need a glove to protect your knuckles, these are great. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say overall durability is probably a 7, with leather work gloves being a 10.

The wrist has a lot of adjustment - and is my only complaint. The large silver loop used for the strap can shift if you don't pay attention, bunching up the strap. I'd prefer a smaller nylon buckle. The strap is a single piece, so is strong. I've seen some where the strap is two pieces, sewn to the glove. This strap wraps around - that means no torn stitches.

The price point is perfect for these gloves. I've worn them several times and found them comfortable. There's also a decent amount of feeling through the gloves, making it easy to manipulate tools, etc. while wearing them.

Discounted sample provided for honest review.

Lucky 21 Premium Men's Comfort Soft Sweatpants X/L Navy
Lucky 21 Premium Men's Comfort Soft Sweatpants X/L Navy
Offered by Lucky 21
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice fit, quality construction, comfortable. Will shrink in the wash but are oversized to begin with., February 10, 2016
I wear sweats almost all the time. It drives my GF crazy, but I like them. So I have light ones, heavy ones, mangy ones and "dress" ones. What can I say?

These are heavier, good for winter use or if you want to sweat it up at the gym. I tried the XL. It was really XL when it arrived and I wore them a couple of times. After one wash (hot water, medium heat in the dryer) the size was a true XL. So these will shrink when washed. Length is *just* there after shrinking. I'd prefer another inch, but they're not in the "flood pants" zone. They're up about 2" over the top of my shoes. Then again, I could have taken care when washing. But I wanted to see what would happen. I pride myself on giving honest and accurate reviews.

For the price I expected these to be a lot "cheaper" - the waist cord is approximately 1/4" thick. I've had brand names that were thinner and snapped in two. It's also continuous and one piece. It's surprising that some manufacturers actually use two individual cords and sew them to the pants in the back. Like I said - I wear sweats way too much.

Comfortable, roomy and with quality touches - hook and loop overstitched seams, double-stitched elastic gathered ankles, 1 1/2" wide elastic waist.

Free sample provided for honest review.

Mystery FC-240 Multi-Channel 2.4GHz Wireless TTL Flash Trigger with Remote Shutter Release (Canon Nikon Remote Flash Trigger) for CANON 5D2 5D3 7D 70D DSLR C1 & C3 Version
Offered by My-stery
Price: $46.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent camera remote with good range, could not get TTL to work with my Canon cameras., February 10, 2016
I have a few different remotes, including two that are similar to this one. The range is nice - I used it as a camera remote from 50 feet away. But as a flash trigger it's "dumb." I tried it on my Canon 7D and 5D MKIII and it only worked as a trigger - no ttl. When the speedlight was set to ttl, it always fired at full power. Obviously on manual I was able to adjust this.

If you want a decent remote camera trigger that's also a manual flash trigger, this will work fine. Just remember to put some gaffer's tape on the base of the transmitter, or stick it on a cold shoe (this is true of all dual purpose triggers like this.) Otherwise you can accidentally fire the camera by simply shorting out the contact pins by holding it. You don't feel anything and it does no harm - except for possibly wasting a shot and some time. But without covering the contacts it's unreliable.

Free sample provided for honest review.

Floureon 3S 3-in-1 LED XP-E Vehicle Emergency Flashlight Magnetic LED Work Light,3Modes,27LEDs,High-Lumen,Weather Resistant Aluminum Body
Offered by Storm Store

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so brightness, very cheaply made., February 9, 2016
It's fine for a glove box, kitchen drawer and the like. Brightness is average as it uses legacy LED's, not the newer ones. I like that it has a spot (front) and wide (side) beam. However it's cheaply made. The housing was about 1/64th of an inch thick. I was actually able to warp the end (with the cap off) between my thumb and hand - and I'm still recovering from hand surgery. The plastic lens on the side popped out with some pressure from my thumbnail. This reminds me of something you'd find in the discount section of a big box store for $4.50.

Knorr Fiesta Sides, Taco Rice, 5.4 Ounce
Knorr Fiesta Sides, Taco Rice, 5.4 Ounce
Price: $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a nice side dish, especially with shredded cheese., February 9, 2016
Tasty and easy to make. Plenty of flavor - I actually added more rice and doubled the servings. Still tasted grate. Added some shredded cheese and had a tasty side dish.

Led Flashlight, FiveBox 600 Lumen Handheld Cree Flashlight, Camping Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Tactical Light Lamp for Outdoor Sports, Powered By 1pcs 18650 Or 3pcs AAA Battery (Not Included)
Offered by FiveBox
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and bright, extra heavy duty construction, Cree T6 LED., February 9, 2016
I think this is flashlight #224 in my obsessive collection - one that's overflowed into 7 tool box drawers and several shelves (have to put the lanterns and big lights somewhere.) I think I've seen and tried pretty much every flavor of light. It's pretty obvious that many of the lights on the market are cranked out by the same factory, with just different names printed on them, and occasionally a different tail switch.

This is the only light I've seen with this shape and design, although the tail switch/button (not the housing though) is pretty close to others. It's about 6" long, and close to 1.5: wide at the bezel. The tail is narrower at 1". The lanyard is very good quality - most fall apart after a couple of tugs. This one held up to a lot of abuse and did not pull apart.

Water resistance: The tail cap/switch housing is O-ring sealed. There's also an O-ring on the zoom slide, but that's more for resistance. It does help keep water out. If you don't zoom the light and keep it on wide, the inside should stay dry even in heavy rain. The bezel/lens housing is not O-ring sealed, nor is the lens. BUT they are snug - I applied a vacuum to it and had very little air leakage. Rain will have a hard time getting in.

If you want a light that will hold up to heavy rain and splashes, you'll pay for it. This light is simple to mod for that - some silicone grease on the bezel threads and some clear silicone sealer pressed into the gaps between the lens and bezel. This works for most lights. You'll want to make sure the bezel is tight anyway - I swear 75% of the lights I receive have a loose bezel.

There are a couple of stand-out points to this light. The LED is soldered to the circuit board, and it's held in place by a large bezel. Cheap lights use a compression fitting that pops out when you drop the light.

The Aluminum stock used for the light is 2-4 times thicker than other lights I have in this price range. It's thicker than some lights that cost $40. For example, the tail - even with the threads cut, there's a solid 1mm of tube left. Many have half that. The same is true for the caps, bezel, etc. It's at least 2-3x thicker than many other lights. That means that it's a lot harder to damage the light

Power: Ideally you want to use an 18650. 3AAA's work, but not as well. Included is the sleeve for the 18650 and the 3AAA cartridge. Positive end towards the front.

Brightness: Typical XM-L T6 LED brightness. If you stare at the light you'll see spots for 20 minutes. You can light up a tree at 15 feet, or zoom in and paint a spot on a tree 200 feet away. If you have an 18650 battery and charger, this is a great light. If you don't, then it's still good with the 3AAA, but it's a performance difference between cheap gas and nitrox. FYI, 18650's are the same batters vape vaporizers use. So if you vape, you already have a couple.

Shock Doctor Adult 236 Compression Short Soft Cup, Large, Black
Shock Doctor Adult 236 Compression Short Soft Cup, Large, Black
Offered by MMAWarehouseLLC
Price: $44.99
3 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, good fit and light weight. Plenty of protection., February 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Shock Doctor cup and support, and jumped at the chance to the the combination of compression shorts and the cup. If you've worn compression shorts, you know they are supposed to be tight. The large max out at 36". If you're 36" - or close to it - I'd go up a size. The elastic on the waist id plenty wide and the seams are comfortable. Poorly designed seams can make compression shorts uncomfortable (that's an understatement) and that's NOT a problem here.

The cup is lightweight, parred and has a trimmed edge for comfort. I do find that unlike a traditional cup, these do retain a lot of heat and moisture. Since they are nylon covered foam over a hard shell, they are easy to care for. After each use I just take it in the shower and give the cup a quick wash with soap and water, then wrap in a dry towel.

Comfortable and effective way to protect the jewels.

3M Precise Mouse Pad with Gel Wrist Rest, Optical Mouse Performance, Battery Saving Design, Gel Comfort, Black (MW85B)
Offered by MegaRetailStore
Price: $21.46
18 used & new from $16.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pad - comfortable to use, even for long periods., February 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While this pad is smaller than I expected (I have a similar 3M mouse pad without the wrist pad), it's fantastic. The wrist pad keeps your hand in place as well as supporting your wrist. The result is that you don't need a bigger mouse pad. With my previous mouse pads I found the mouse constantly being pushed off the edge of the pad because my hand wandered.

The base of the pad is slightly tacky, kind of like wandering hands (could not resist.) This means that the pad sticks to most surfaces. The mousing surface is textured. If you have other 3M mouse pads, you've felt the slight texture. This has that on steroids. The texture is made up of fibers in a cross-hatch pattern embedded and compressed together (I looked at it under a loupe.) Under normal use I can't see this pad wearing out.

It's an amazing compact pad that takes up about the same amount of room as a standard pad. Love it!

Cable Matters Gold Plated Active Mini DisplayPort to DVI Male to Female Adapter - Eyefinity Compatible
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I now have three monitors with three desktops!, February 9, 2016
1) This is an ACTIVE adapter.
2) Getting one single desktop across three monitors (I have AMD video cards, Crossfire) was easy - three desktops not so much
3) What worked for me Set up in Eyefinity to activate the monitor
4) Delete the Eyefinity group
5) Right click on an active monitor (I use Win 7) and select "screen resolution.
6) You should see three monitors, one marked as deactivated. Activate it.
7) Three monitors without eyefinity, each it's own desktop. Why? I have mixed sizes and resolutions, and having one gigantic desktop is impossible to use.

I added a photo (and removed my sloppy desk...)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20