Profile for Richard C. Drew > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 373

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard C. Drew "Anaal Nathra/Uthe vas Bethod/Doch yel Dienve" RSS Feed (Oak Lawn, IL USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PLEMO Zebra's Stripes Automatic Folding Travel Umbrella
PLEMO Zebra's Stripes Automatic Folding Travel Umbrella
Offered by Claybox
Price: $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, good quality and looks cool, September 15, 2014
This is a compact umbrella that auto-extends and opens with the press of a button. It's surprisingly large - three feet. I did not expect that in a compact model. When opened, it's 20" tall, from bast to tip. The spring is strong - don't point this at a person when opening - I made the mistake of pointing it towards my desk - knocked over my Pepsi bottle. It opens fast - under a second from button press to fully open.

It also includes a matching cover, attached lanyard, and attached Velcro style wrap-around closure.

Compact and easy to store, takes up little room! Closed it's 2" wide and 11" tall and 13 ounces.

West Bend 41413 Hi-Rise Loaf Programmable Breadmaker, 2-Pound
West Bend 41413 Hi-Rise Loaf Programmable Breadmaker, 2-Pound
Price: $69.99
5 used & new from $62.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Litterally add your ingredients and go! It kneads, bakes - does it all automatically!, September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, the main bad point about this thing. I think I'll gain 10 pounds in the next few months. Baking tasty bread is so simple I went ahead and made four loves the first day. Honestly, the first one was intentional - Cinnamon raisin. But I screwed up. I need to remember the difference between tbsp and tsp. I honestly prefer metric when baking. Anyway, I put in 2x as much salt and Cinnamon as needed. Unfortunately incorrect amounts of either of these can screw up the baking process. So I watched the kneading, added some water and added some yeast. And waited. The kitchen soon filled with the smell of warm bread and cinnamon. A couple of hours later I had a nice, large load of sweet bread. Heavy in the cinnamon, but tasty.

I was really worried about the kneading blade being difficult to remove. Right after I slid the load of bread out, I grabbed the bottom of the pan's outside with an oven mitt, and grabbed the blade with another - the blade slid right off. Little effort needed.

I washed out the pan, let the machine cool down, and went on to my next loaf.

Well, I screwed up again. I added all the ingredients to a mixing bowl while the first load was baking. I meant to mix up Maple Oatmeal bread. I accidentally made a mix for Raisin again. Almost identical, but instead of 4 cups of flour, the oatmeal uses three cups of flour and one oatmeal. So I finished up mixing that and put all the dry ingredients in a big baggie. Then I did the same for the Maple Oatmeal and for Garlic. So I had three bags ready to go - just need to add the butter and liquids.

The second loaf I made was a smaller, 1.5 lb Garlic bread. Again, I checked the kneading and had to add some water. I assume because I went heavy on the Garlic powder. Tasty.

Again, the blade came right out, so maybe I'm just lucky.

I'll bake up the Oatmeal Sunday. I just finished half a loaf of Raisin and made a dent in the Garlic. That's enough carbs for a week.

This bread maker is as simple as it gets. Add the water, butter, dry ingredients, yeast and go. You just select the recipe type according to the guide, crust type (I used light and medium so far) and any options such as delay or keeping warm.

My only complaint is the manual. It looks like it went to press without proofing. There are several decals correcting major typos, the entire last page has a decal over it, and I still found numerous other typos. Fortunately none were in important areas.

Watching this thing work is a kick (well, for the first time, then it's a little boring) - the unit kneads and waits differently depending on the recipe and weight. Sweet bread pauses, turns, pauses, turns and does all types of funky stuff. Garlic just basically mixed.

I've found that pre-mixing the several batches works for me. I currently have four different recipe's dry ingredients already portioned and dumped in a large baggie. I'll add the wet stuff, butter and yeast when I dump it in the bread maker.

The mixer also has more uses - jellies, jams, just kneading so you can bake in the oven. I'm wondering if I can use it to mix meatballs or meatloaf?

Neat Oh Everyday Princess Sophie Doll and Bean Bag Chair
Neat Oh Everyday Princess Sophie Doll and Bean Bag Chair
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid four stars - cute doll, a couple of complaints, September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This tiny doll is cute, includes a second set of clothes (top and skirt), a watering can, garden shovel and garden rake. Plus the "bean bag."

My first complaint: You know those little plastic strips with a "T" at each end? There are way too many holding things in the package - including a really annoying one shot right into the back of the doll's head. It's impossible to remove. I finally gave up and cut it, pushing the end into the head. I made a small bald spot.

The bean bag is not full of beans or anything similar. It has what feels like a wad of synthetic material. If you try and sit the doll on this, she'll roll right off. You need to knead, press and force the bag into shape first. Once done, the doll sits just fine.

She has long hair - over 4 inches.. with a partial pony-tail. The doll is 4" tall.

The accessories are small and easily swallowed, so if your child is still in the habit of chewing or sucking on toys, I'd hide the small parts for a while. The rake and shovel - I'll bet you'll be vacuuming one day and hear the telltale rattle of them getting sucked up. I've cleaned out a vacuum bag more than once looking for toy parts, pony shoes and the like.

Overall she's a cute little doll that can be packed away in a pocket. Her size is also just right to interact with the larger MLP buildings and ponies - that's where this wound up.

NOCO XGrid XGS9USB 9W Portable Solar Panel and USB/LED Flashlight Kit
NOCO XGrid XGS9USB 9W Portable Solar Panel and USB/LED Flashlight Kit
Offered by Phat Performance Parts
Price: $143.00
10 used & new from $143.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice solar panel, decent light, some minor complaints, September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review is based on my initial use and using it for a couple of days. I'm going to put it through it's paces over the next couple of weeks, check the solar charger, etc.

I'll start by saying that I have an original NOCO light, and while initially impressed, I soon found that it never held a charge more than a week - pretty useless. Hopefully this one performs better. There are several cosmetic differences between the two lights, so hopefully design problems have also been addressed. The most obvious difference is the thick, protective, rubber housing. This will protect the light from drops and splashes. However there is one obvious flaw - the flap on the bottom that covers the USB ports is not very secure. The rubber "hinge" actually opens it with the slightest touch. I actually cut most of it, leaving only a small tab in the center. This helped quite a bit.

The solar panel is well thought out. The velcro style taps are actually too large and too strong, and don't stay flush. Because of that they hang up on stuff easily. Each closure tab has a cutout for a small biner or clip, so you can hike with the panels open and hooked to your pack. There's also a wrap-around large mesh pocket for holding cables, manuals, the light, etc.

The outside of the panels has a connector for the included USB adapter. This is another nice feature - and another flaw. No caps are included, so water can enter these ports when the panel is not in use These can also be hooked up in series, although no cables are provided for that.

This model is the XGS9USB. The light/battery is the XGB3L, 3000mAh. 3000mAh is small. Most battery packs are 8000 or larger. Many are 10000 or 12000! The instructions claim the light/battery will be fully charged in 4.5 hours from solar. The battery output is only 1 amp, so it won't fast charge larger devices.

The solar panel will fully charge most smart phones in 4-6 hours.

This product is 90% there but needs some tweaks. It's also pretty expensive - they really should provide various adapters for the price, not make them extras. Car battery charger cable for example.

Seasons Knight Sword
Seasons Knight Sword
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, life size, realistic, September 8, 2014
This review is from: Seasons Knight Sword (Toy)
This is a really well made prop for the price - I use it with a few different cosplay sets. Light weight, yet strong.

Ipow Enhanced Professional Four Spring Sport Breathable Knee Patella Compression Sleeve Wrap Support Brace Cap Stabilizer Protector,adjustaable Size,black
Offered by NORTHERN LIGHTS USA INC
Price: $13.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior quality, comfortable and easy to use, September 8, 2014
I've had knee problems on and off for a while, so have slowly build up a small collection of different braces. This has to be my favorite, and for a few good reasons. The "velcro" style fasteners are STRONG and wide. There's no way they can come loose. There are four built-in flat springs, two on either side of the knee. These add extra support and stiffness, while remaining flexible. The "loop" or fuzzy part of the "velcro" covers one entire side of the support. The inside is nylon. If you've ever seen a wet suit with a "plush" inside and nylon outside, this is the same thing - only reversed.

It's easy to put on by yourself and pretty comfortable - I've worn it for several hours without any problems. I'm a typical XL and it fits great.

Free product provided to try out.

Bolse® [Apple MFi Certified] 6 Feet / 1.8m Extra Long Cloth Jacketed Tangle-Free USB 2.0 A to 8 Pin Apple Lightning Cable for iPhone 5, 5s, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPod nano 7, iPod 5G (Black/Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cable, Apple certified and long!, September 3, 2014
This cable is fantastic. The ends that house the connectors are brushed aluminum, not plastic like most. The cable is covered in braided Nylon fabric - looks more like a rope than a cable, but it's still decently stiff. It won't tangle, but will hold a bend if you force one.

OK, so when will you need a cable that's 6 feet long? If you need a lightning wire in the back of your vehicle, but the charger is in the front. The iPod in next to your stereo, but the outlet is at a distance. Your computer in under the desk and you want to use the rear USB port (that's how I use it.)

Thanks for giving me one to try out!

AVANTEK Portable Wireless Doorbell Kit, 52 Chime Tones, 1000 ft / 300 m Range [1 Push Button, 1 Plug-In Door Chime & 1 Battery Powered Door Chime]
Offered by Claybox
Price: $58.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and compact, very loud with adjustable volume., September 2, 2014
I've had a few wireless doorbells, from bulky and ugly to large and elegant. This model is compact and modernistic.

The transmitter is 2.5"x1.5"x.75" and uses a 12 V 23A battery (included) - each receiver is about 3.75"x3.75"x1". One is powered by three AAA batteries (not included), the other plugs into the wall.

The receivers are LOUD on full volume, and can be heard from 100 feet away! You can set the musical chime, but the instructions don't tell you how. It's a combination of holding the volume button down for several seconds until a tone is heard, selecting the tone, then holding the volume button down again.

The button is not weather resistant, so if you hand this on your front door frame, it can get damaged by rain.

It's also a great in home paging system. I've used these when I had to care for a sick parent. I also keep one in my workshop and the button in my office. If someone needs me, they press the button.

KINGLAKE 2014 Latest Brand New IP67 Waterproof Mini Bluetooth Shower Speaker Enhanced Bass Audio Crystal Clear Sound with 8 Hours Playtime Built-in Microphone Hands-free Phone Calling and Answering with Suction Cups for Smart phones iPad Tablets MP3 Player Notebooks (Blue)
Offered by Kltech Store
Price: $19.98
2 used & new from $19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for NEWER devices that support BT 3.0 - and it really is shower safe!, September 2, 2014
It was really tough deciding on how many stars to give this speaker. For what it does, it does well. Speaker phone, wireless speaker - sounds nice. But, it ONLY works with Ver 3 Bluetooth devices. It's not backwards compatible. So my iPod Nano 7th Gen won't pair. Older iDevices won't pair. My older Droid tablet won't pair. My new Droid phone did pair and worked flawlessly.

The waterproof rating is impressive. IP67 means that it's 100% dust roof and can survive a dunking down to 1 meter. So it's safe for the shower or beach - if dust and water can't get in, neither can sand. The suction cup works well - I had it stuck to the bottom of a glass shelf for a week.

So if you have a NEW device, this will work and is a great choice for wet areas.

Surpahs Touch Tempered Glass Precision Digital Kitchen Food Scale (White/Transparent, 11 lb/5 kg)
Offered by Surpahs
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern design and accurate, at home in any kitchen, September 1, 2014
Tempered glass scales are the rage, and you'll find at least one in most kitchens. I've been asked to review a few, including this one. I've probably used/tested/tried out 20 digital kitchen scales in the past year. All are extremely accurate, so it comes down to aesthetics, features and batteries.

Batteries: this uses a standard CR2032 (one). These are inexpensive, available everywhere, and last a LONG time. Seriously - you'll probably go over a year without thinking about changing the battery.

Aesthetics: Pretty unique. Half the surface area is clear glass. Your counter-top is visible through the scale, making this look more like a frame than a solid piece.

Features: Bare bones, it just weighs things, accurately, up to 11 lbs.

Display: LARGE 1" LCD digits. It's not backlit. Still easy to read. If you're in an averagely lit room, you don't need a backlight, especially since the digits are so large.

Measuring 7.75"x7.25x.65", it takes up little counter space, and can fit in any drawer. Oh yea - I also use it for weighing letters and small packages. Sames me $$$ on postage.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20