Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for A.Rosaria > Reviews

Browse

A.Rosaria's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A.Rosaria RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
The Demon King of Bergher (Harbinger of Doom series)
The Demon King of Bergher (Harbinger of Doom series)

3.0 out of 5 stars I sort of liked it., August 6, 2013
The Demon King of Bergher by Glenn G. Tather

This is short review for a short story I just finished reading.

It's a fantasy/horror story in a fantasy world setting with dwarves, elves, etc, etc, about Lord Torbin Malvegil and the events surrounding a demon king visiting his chambers and leaving him a gift. The story is written in the first person point of view of Lord Torbin Malvegil.

I'll start with saying I'm not a great fan of the first person POV, but it was bearable in this story. I had more problem with the telling, it felt like reading clumps of info dumps. It may be necessary for the story, but I rather it was done more subtle or toned down.

It's a good thing Glen G. Tather can write well, because despite the story being a whole lot of telling it still conveys an image and a sense of its own character, and in the portions where there is actually something happening it was even an exciting read. I rather had more of those moment and less lore, though I'm sure there are readers out there who would not mind this abundance of lore.

Did I like The Demon King of Bergher? I sort of did and sort of didn't.

Like is said, I liked the story once it got moving, but I disliked it when it didn't. If it was a novel I probably wouldn't have finished it, but as a short story it's bearable. If you like fantasy, with a descriptive back story, and slow reading, this story certainly is for you. If you are more like me, who love less description, and the back-story takes second place to a fast pace, then you might have to reconsider it.

The Congregation
The Congregation
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written slasher but one with meat around it., January 16, 2012
This review is from: The Congregation (Kindle Edition)
One drawback of reviewing a story a long time (About a month) after reading it, is that you will forget a lot of what happened in the story. (Heck I even forget stories I wrote myself) The congregation I still remember, it's sufficiently weird and in an existentialistic way disturbing that even I with my memory that just seem to last for two weeks remembers it.

Is this a good thing? Yes certainly it is. Weird is good, and disturbing in a horror story is almost a must. I liked the plot, the writing is good, and the characters are well done. I didn't care for all the characters, however I think story wise it is not necessary for the reader to like them all and in this story it may be intentional for you not to care for them all.

I don't want to tell too much about the story as not to spoil it for you. The story is about a man seeking redemption for something he done in the past, but he's punished in a way by God that he will never be able to not be different than the moment he was when he did his crime.

There is only one way he may be released from his punishment, and that is to find the right person to deliver him from his burden.

The story is very graphic in the violence and partly a slasher, however with a serious undertone about humanity. If I had to describe it in a few words then it would be; A well written slasher but one with meat around it.

Vs. Reality (The Vs. Reality Series Book 1)
Vs. Reality (The Vs. Reality Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good first novel, December 9, 2011
The story is action packed, well written, and sure it does have its cliches but no one can write a 100% original work. All sentences in existence(excluding the real wacky ones) are already once written.

The story is the equivalent of an action movie, you can't take it too seriously, it is supposed to be a fun drive and pure entertainment and for this it works. It's ideal for a quick read and fun time. Taking it for what it is it's great.

I got one gripe and it is with the formatting of the e-book; both paragraph indents and paragraph spacing is used. It took getting used to while reading which distracted me from the story.

I EAT BUTTERFLIES: Tales of Vampires, Mages & Mutants
I EAT BUTTERFLIES: Tales of Vampires, Mages & Mutants

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, May 28, 2011
I EAT BUTTERFLIES - Tales of Vampires, Mages & Mutants is a trio of sinister & sexy erotic horror / urban fantasy / dark & dangerous sci-fi stories from the creator of THE WORLD OF SYNNIBARR and CRYPT: THE PHARAOH'S CURSE.

THE BRIDES: The Brides of Dracula have always been secretly calling the shots by making Draculii as fall guys. What happens when you create the wrong dark prince?

MERLIN'S KNOT: Upon discovering the secret code interlaced within the Celtic knots, a group of college students learn how to use real magic, and the knowledge propels them into a world of intrigue and adventure.

VELOCITY SYNDROME: An Orwellian take on the near future, where there are groups of low-powered mutants, humans have chips in their brains, and the world is drowning. And the answer to one murder may save the world or lead to total destruction

My Review

The stories in themselves are okay to good: Velocity Syndrome being the better one. While reading I had the feeling that the author was new at the craft of writing. This was evident from his overuse of "purple" prose, so much it distracted me from reading his story, which is a pity. Luckily he improved. In his third short story "Velocity Syndrome" he writes much more fluent and readable. Because of that I could immerse myself better in the third story than the previous two.

The brides was a drag to read. The story is an interesting one. It's a new way (for me at least) describing vampires. However the writing was distracting, and this made reading it less enjoyable. For example in the story the brides talking amongst themselves about the past, one retells the story how they started. A flashback by retelling. It's nice getting some back-story, but it's weird and awkward way of doing it. Why would one of the three people, who have lived and experienced the event, retell this to the other two who lived it along with her? It's made it too obvious it being a flashback, and this can distract readers.

The story picked up when the brides found a new prince. The writing started to flow better at the end. This made it more a pity, that while improving in his writing style, the story suffered a little fall. It felt chunks were left out, and stuff started happening ad hoc. The ending was a little abrupt and left things not so clear. It felt it rushed by leaving me to ask my self; "What happened!"

MERLIN'S KNOT is less flowerly written. The story follows a clearer path than The Brides. It has an interesting take on magic and technology. Too bad the story gets convoluted by having too much going on at once. I'm sure some will like that. To me it has an B action movie feel to it. There are things added to the story that I felt were not there to add to the story(because it didn't make sense), but for the cool factor. However the writer is improving in his craft. Merlin's knot is less a drag to read.

Velocity Syndrome is more coherent and read fluent compared to the first two, it is less distracting written. I enjoyed reading this one. The setting is great and the story draws you in. At the end it has a twist, only too bad it is a tad confusing.

From reading "I Eat Butterflies: Tales of Vampires, Mages & Mutants" I have come to believe Raven c.s. McCracken has an imaginative mind and that he shows he improves with every word written. If he keeps writing I'm sure he'll come to a point he'll be writing great stories. These being his first, they are however not so great, but still worth reading.

The Walk
The Walk
by Lee Goldberg
Price: $11.85
48 used & new from $2.36

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read., April 28, 2011
This review is from: The Walk (Paperback)
I bought this book, by title, and by knowing the author's name.

I actually thought the book was about a zombie apocalypse, happening after a big earthquake. The first few pages I kept expecting zombies. (This is what happens if you don't read the description.)After reading on, it dawned on me that there wouldn't be any zombies, that this was a disaster story. I didn't mind that. I'm usually open to new things, so I read on.

It's well written. The story is okay. It's about a man trapped in a disaster ridden city, trying to find his way to his wife, while dealing with who he really is. A lot happens to the main character. He really is a lucky unlucky guy.

What I didn't like about the book, and why I gave it 3 stars, is that the writer goes on and on describing in detail the city and it's landmarks. There is too much description, slowing the story down. I would have preferred for the action to follow each other sooner, and for the descriptions to be shorter, toned down. I can imagine that it might be nice for someone from L.A. to read about his/her city, but most people have not seen L.A. and couldn't care less about all the details. This made a likable story to have patches of boredom, making it a sludge to read through.

Wild Night Is Calling
Wild Night Is Calling
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but short, April 13, 2011
It was a descriptive ride, the first part of the story was however predictable, the second part not so much, I got blind sighted by that. I suspect the first part was intentionally made predictable.

The writing is great, the description made me feel like I was there with them. The story flowed right to where it had to go.

It's a really short story (about 30 minutes read); I would have loved if it had more story to go with.

The Blade Itself (The First Law: Book One)
The Blade Itself (The First Law: Book One)
by Joe Abercrombie
83 used & new from $1.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Action oriented with it share of intrigue, April 13, 2011
Most reviewers already gave a summary of the story, hence I'll keep it short.

The only dislike I had is a minor one, I had to get used to his writing, for the character Glokta Joe Abercrombie used sentences in italic for when Glokta spoke or answered a question in thought and used normal font what he actually said the thing. This for me felt cumbersome at first, but at the end of the book it felt allright, just something to get used to.

His story has a lot of action happening and he describes this good, so you see in your mind what happens in enough detail to make it very entertaining and exhilarating.

The story is epic in scale, being the whole book is an introduction of the characters, their motives and creation of this new world. I felt the real adventure had yet to begin, this part was a setup to the next two books in the trilogy.

For all that love fantasy and action I recommend this book.

On Becoming a Novelist
On Becoming a Novelist
by John Gardner
Price: $11.10
94 used & new from $0.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Are you cut out to be a writer?, April 2, 2011
This review is from: On Becoming a Novelist (Paperback)
Are you cut out to be a writer? This is in essence what the book is about. Do you have the stuff to become a writer and not the kind that writes one book, but the kind that keeps writing till the day his hands or mind can't form words on paper anymore.

The four stars I give this book, is because it's a tad outdated and John Gardner had a very era specific view about the publishing world and things in general, he's not political correct, which is cool by me, but not by a lot of people. His idea about genre writers is not that forgiving, something I disagree with him.

I would certainly buy this book if you have doubts about a writing career or if you want to start one, or if you just curious about what being a writer entails.

A.Rosaria, Author of "Finitum"

Trooper Laser Mouse Black
Trooper Laser Mouse Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement mouse became my main mouse., April 2, 2011
I bought this gaming mouse for the now and to replace it when I had the money for some name brand mouse. I kept this one instead. It's responsive, fits my large hand, it scrolls easy, a led indicate in which setting it is.

One drawback is the sensitivity button is easily pressed by mistake. It doesn't happen to a trained hand (mine) but every time my wife is behind my pc, it's set to ultra high sensitivity, great for if you have the reflexes of a God while gaming, not so great if you are just browsing.

To bad it's discontinued.

Ac Ryan PlayON!HD Mini & Wireless USB Dongle
Ac Ryan PlayON!HD Mini & Wireless USB Dongle

4.0 out of 5 stars A very handy and neat little media player, April 1, 2011
I purchased mine in January 2011. I've not had any problems with it, it worked from the start. I've not upgraded the firmware yet and I won't do that for now. I'm skittish about updating a firmware when something works. I guess I kept the carefulness of what seemed an age past where if a firmware upgrade failed that your were pretty much screwed, unless you knew how or knew someone that could flash your EPROM.

I use my AC Ryan mini for watching movies and TV-series. So far it support every file I threw at it, it plays directly from ISO and I had no problem running .mkv files which my DVD player couldn't handle. It plays well, no distortion in the image or sound. The menu is a little bit sluggish, there is a noticeable delay, but I'm a patient man so that's no biggie. There is one bug I noticed, when you put it on pause, pressing play it doesn't continue. You have to press the back and forward button for it to play again, a minor annoyance to me, that's why the four stars.

The AC Ryan mini is ideal for what's made for and yet more. I've not tested all its functions, I know they are there but I've no use for the extra's at the moment. what it offers in playback is more than enough for me and its worth the buy.

I've read the other reviews and I've to say I've not experienced any such problems myself, nor have I experienced the support from AC Ryan so I can't judge about that. It's highly possible they gotten a defective product and should send it back for a new one. A co-worker who bought the AC Ryon playon HD, experienced a similar thing, he send it back and gotten a new working one. So far he's also satisfied.

A.Rosaria, Author of "Finitum"

Page: 1 | 2