Profile for B. Carnovale > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Carnovale RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Sony KDS-55A2020 KDS55A2020 Lamp with Housing XL5200
Sony KDS-55A2020 KDS55A2020 Lamp with Housing XL5200
Offered by Exclusivebulbs
Price: $95.65
9 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars works fine, October 15, 2013
Projector lamp installed without any problems. Works perfectly.

Price was good. Delivered quickly.

What can I say? It's just a high tech lamp bulb.

Bella 4 Light Vanity Light
Bella 4 Light Vanity Light
Offered by Arcadian Home
Price: Click here to see our price
19 used & new from $142.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice. My wife is happy. I'm not certain., October 15, 2013
This review is from: Bella 4 Light Vanity Light
We installed one of these 2 years ago. While I was standing on a ladder to change one of the light bulbs a few days ago, I noticed a tiny bit of RUST at the ends of two of the curved tips.

I'm definitely not thrilled about that. I can certainly get a little silver touch up paint, but . . .

Even knowing that this would happen,I'd probably have bought it anyway, the build quality is OK and it was exactly what my wife wanted.

eneloop AAA 1800 cycle, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by CONTINENTALSUPPLY
Price: $5.75
6 used & new from $5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, June 30, 2013
I use these for the MP3 player I take to the gym.

MUCH better than tossing dead alkalines in a landfill.

Garmin GPS 45 Personal Marine Navigator
Garmin GPS 45 Personal Marine Navigator
10 used & new from $57.95

4.0 out of 5 stars works OK, June 30, 2013
Had a 48 XL before this - dropped it overboard.

I use this sailboat racing and keep it in a pocket of my life preserver - PFD to you sailors. This 45 takes longer to acquire satellites and seems to lose the signal easier than the 48 did if I go below deck.

That being said, once it acquires satellites it works very well. Menu layouts are easy to navigate and device performs well. We have a large bulkhead mounted color screen GPS below at the chart table that is much newer. When we compare them, this handheld is always in agreement with that larger newer unit. Using this unit allows me to give the helmsman course information without leaving the rail to check the bulkhead unit at the chart table.

Eight O'Clock Hazelnut Whole Bean Coffee, 33-Ounce Bag
Eight O'Clock Hazelnut Whole Bean Coffee, 33-Ounce Bag
Price: $14.94
6 used & new from $14.94

4.0 out of 5 stars coffee is fine, June 30, 2013
My wife likes this coffee and ordering thru Amazon is actually the most economical way for us to obtain it - even living in the middle of San Jose.

Only reason not 5 stars is that in my last order one of the two 33 oz bags had lost it's seal. That bag was NOT a "brick" with all of the air evacuated. Have ordered the coffee before and this was first such occurrence.

Didn't bother to send back because it seemed like too much trouble. If it happens again though, I certainly will.

KRUPS FME214 Programmable Coffee Maker with Glass Carafe and LED Control Panel, 12-cup, Black
Offered by Gatzies
Price: $59.53
46 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Died after 3 months, March 21, 2012
Bought it in Dec. Dead as a doornail by Mar.

On the plus side - customer support people were very nice, immediately emailed me prepaid UPS sticker to ship item to repair center.
---------------------------------------
Repair Center got coffee maker Mon of last week. Today is Thurs. Called 800 number with my file number. Very nice person told me that it will be FOUR TO SIX WEEKS before they can just TELL ME what they're going to do. Who knows how long it will take after that?

Seriously thinking about just going to the local Goodwill to see if I can find a cheap coffee maker that just has an ON/OFF switch - NOT programmable. I was never using that feature anyway and I suspect that it's the microprocessor chip that failed in mine.

---------------------------------------
A MONTH LATER - no word, no coffee pot. Found an old Connaisseur coffee maker on Craig's List for $10. All it has is an on/off switch. Works fine. Makes coffee as good as the Krups. When the Krups gets back, I may put it on Craig's List and keep the old Connaisseur maker.

Will try to update based on outcome.

----------------------------------------

TWO MONTHS LATER - Finally got it back. But not until they found it after first sending me somebody else's and I returned that one. Was just a fuse. Could have repaired myself in 30 minutes if it weren't for the special heads on the screws holding the case together. (I've got a lot of different types of driver bits and NONE of them would fit.)

In the meantime, the carafe got broken. So when the repaired unit came back, I went down to my Bed Bath & Beyond (20% off coupon in hand) to get a new carafe. The replacement carafes are $25! Over $20 even after using the coupon.

Looked around a tiny bit and determined that a Mr. Coffee 12 cup carafe would work (carafe needs to be tall enough to trigger valve at bottom of grounds basket holder). And the Mr Coffee carafe was $13 out the door.

While there I also noticed that ALL of the Krups accessories are priced ~50% higher than similar items for other coffee makers. $15 vs. $10 for a pair of charcoal water filters. Ditto for gold mesh filter baskets (both of the $10 items by Cuisinart).

I originally bought the coffee maker because it was on sale AND there was a rebate. Given the lousy service and overpriced accessories will NEVER buy another Krups - unless it's $10 at a garage sale.

Replacement Probe for Chaney Instruments & Taylor Thermometers (See Models Below)
Offered by DTMdirect
Price: $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Can buy direct from Chaney for less, July 10, 2011
These probes get fried at a much lower temp than the 600-700 claimed. I gave up and bought a dozen directly from Chaney for 6-7 dollars each.

Never had a problem with one doing a spatchcocked chicken - temp is only ~400, but regularly ruin one searing steaks at 550.

UPDATE: When doing steaks/chops etc. where I want to sear the meat, I use the thermometer to monitor the internal temperature while I raise the internal temperature to 100 degrees (with the grill temp at ~200). I'll turn it once in the process. Once the meat is up to 100, I remove the probe, put the meat on a warm plate, turn all the burners to HIGH, and once the grill is ~500+ put the meat back on for no more than 2-3 minutes per side. Just test by touch at this stage. Perfect medium rare every time. A tiny bit more work, but I haven't fried a probe for over a year.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 8:41 AM PDT

Weber 7537 Stainless Steel Flavorizer Bars
Weber 7537 Stainless Steel Flavorizer Bars
Offered by Everything 4 the home
Price: Click here to see our price
53 used & new from $42.99

4.0 out of 5 stars There are substitutes, August 16, 2010
Saw some of these in the local hardware store.

Figured I'd see if I could find some for less online.

Just on a lark, thought I'd check Craigs List. Turned out there was a guy in the San Francisco Bay area making them out of heavier gauge stainless than these and selling for half the price. (He takes credit cards and will ship them.)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2011 12:15 PM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Doctor told me it's "garbage", December 24, 2009
I've been using this every day for years, but won't ever again.

I just got back from getting fitted for new contacts. The doctor took one look at my 5 year old lens and asked me what I had been using to clean them. When I told him that I was using this stuff, he showed me my contact under magnification (about 10x).

The lens was FILTHY. Lots of built up material on the surface. I never had this problem in the past when I was using separate products for cleaning / storage.

He told me that all of the systems FOR HARD GAS PERMEABLE lenses that uses a single solution for cleaning and wetting are "garbage".

He has nothing against Boston products. He even recommended the Boston products where the cleaning and storage solutions are separate products.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 7:21 PM PDT

D-Link KVM-121 2-Port Kb/Video/MSE Audio KVM Switch
D-Link KVM-121 2-Port Kb/Video/MSE Audio KVM Switch
Offered by Galactics
Price: $20.88
64 used & new from $9.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Key to reset, November 24, 2009
If you are having problems with D-Link's KVM switch model DKVM-2k, try this.

There is an un-documented hotkey to reset the mouse and keyboard

ScrollLock -> ScorllLock -> M

On occasion, when I switch between two computers, my mouse stopped working. Nothing short of a reboot would fix it. Now that I found out about this hotkey, I do not have to reboot the computer anymore.

When you do this the cursor will be locked up for a 2-3 seconds, but you'll have full use on both machines after that.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2014 3:14 PM PDT