Profile for V. Moreno > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

V. Moreno "children's book lover !" RSS Feed (Villa Park, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Now I'm Reading!: All About the ABCs
Now I'm Reading!: All About the ABCs
by Nora Gaydos
6 used & new from $26.49

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST books to encourage reading!!, June 18, 2011
We've used the Now I'm Reading series with all of our kids and I can't say enough about them! The stickers at the back are really what set this series apart. They are a tangible, immediate reward for their efforts at the end of each reading. This set, ABC's had adorable illustrations and focuses one book on each letter - a great introduction to pre-reading. Our kids started kindergarten already reading, largely with the help of these books! We love them!

Reebok Women's EasyTone Reeinspire Walking Shoe
Reebok Women's EasyTone Reeinspire Walking Shoe
Price: $88.49 - $112.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome shoe; Love the way my legs feel!, March 5, 2010
I've had these shoes for about 6 months and absolutely LOVE them. I wear them everywhere I can and definitely feel a difference after I've walked a lot wearing them...just like I've used my legs more. Not only do they make my legs feel like I've exercized, I love the way they look. I get compliments on them whenever I wear them; they just have a unique look. Mine are black and hot pink so they are a bit different than your basic athletic looking tennis shoe.

I totally recommend Easy Tones!

POOF-Slinky 0SA256 Scientific Explorer Sour Candy Factory Kit, 6-Activities
POOF-Slinky 0SA256 Scientific Explorer Sour Candy Factory Kit, 6-Activities
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $19.15
48 used & new from $10.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Tastes TERRIBLE !!, February 4, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
After two separate attempts at making sour candy that was actually edible, we've given up on this toy. Both times, I worked along side my son and made sure the instructions were followed exactly. Once the citric acid and flavoring were added to the sugar/corn syrup mixture, it began to smell, fizzle and bubble. After the (miniscule) molds were filled, we tried it. It tasted horrible! One lick and we threw the rest away. It's not that it was sour - we could have handled that. It was that it had no flavor whatsoever that resembled the added flavoring; instead, it tasted awful. Extremely bitter, acidic, not sweet in the slightest. I used a candy thermometer and removed it promptly when it hit 300F, or crack stage. It's as if the citric acid had a reaction with the sugar mixture and completely ruined any good taste it may have had.

My son saved his allowance for this toy. What a huge disappointment.

There was nothing in this box that you probably don't have at home (except citric acid). I recommend following any candy recipe you get online or in a cookbook instead of this product. Candy molds are very inexpensive to buy. You'd spend less than you would on this product and have a more satisfying experience!

I gave it 3 stars on educational value because my son learned two TBSP = 1/8 cup. The recipe actually says to add 1/8cup water...I've never seen 1/8 cup called for in a recipe! We had to look it up to find it's the same as two TBSP...which was a learning moment. Other than that - a big waste of time and money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2011 9:48 AM PDT

Summer Infant Ultimate Crib Sheet, 52" x 28"
Summer Infant Ultimate Crib Sheet, 52" x 28"
Price: $19.73
24 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE !!, January 30, 2009
I first read about this Ultimate Crib Sheet in a magazine that profiled "Best Baby Products". It took about a month of owning our first Ultimate Crib Sheet before we soon ended up w/ a 2nd one after finding it INVALUABLE.

It is not a fitted sheet, but a rectangular sized flat piece of fabric that snaps to the slats of your crib. The sheet top side is a very soft sheet material that feels soooo nice to the touch. The bottom is waterproof, but it doesn't make the top sheet stiff since it's two separate pieces of fabric.

If I needed to change the sheet in the middle of the night (which seems to be when the diapers decide to leak most often) all I did was unsnap this sheet and let baby sleep on the regular crib sheet below until morning when I'd put another UCS on top. So, actually, I didn't even have to put a sheet on in the middle of the night at all. I've read other moms say they used two (one placed on top of the other) so they just pulled the top off if it needed changing.

Another reason this is so nice is that it allows you to keep baby's crib looking coordinated with the matching sheet/bumpers, etc while not spending a fortune on the patterned sheets. The crib still looks coordinated because your patterned sheet is what is visible from the sides of the crib. You only see the ULTIMATE SHEET when you're looking down on the crib from the top (esp if you have bumpers).

You also save $$ by buying less fitted sheets (really you only need one of the coordinating ones). I do remember the elastic loosening up after a while - but we used the two we had for two years. No piling, tears, frays of any kind on the sheet during the whole time. They were WORTH EVERY PENNY.Once I changed the ULTIMATE CRIB SHEET for the first time, I never went back to struggling with the mattress when changing crib sheets.

The crib sheet changing process takes about a minute w/ the UCS. And (even with 10 snaps) it is much, much easier than changing fitted crib sheets. Crib mattresses should fit very snugly inside the crib rails, for safety reasons. This means changing the sheets can be a pain!

I recommend this sheet to every new mom I can, because many don't know how awesome it is. We need all the help we can get making our life easier - and this product does just that!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST roller clips!!, December 5, 2006
I came to amazon today just in search of these exact hair clips. I bought a set for my teenage daughter a few years ago. My only regret is that I didn't buy a couple more sets at the time. They have outlasted and outperformed all other hair clips I have ever used. My two daughters use them just to clip a portion of their hair while getting ready and I use them for any hot roller (I've used them w/ several types). We are always searching the house for them bc they end up everywhere; they are used so much. They just DO NOT BREAK! Plus, they are snug enough to keep the curlers from slipping. The shape of them does not contribute as much to creases like other clips do and I like how they are shorter on one side.

Great product! I am buying more this year!

Where, Oh Where, Is Kipper's Bear?: A Pop-Up Book with Light!
Where, Oh Where, Is Kipper's Bear?: A Pop-Up Book with Light!
by Mick Inkpen
32 used & new from $0.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keepsake Book!, November 13, 2006
Of the thousands of childrens books I've collected over 20 years, I would rank this charming book in the top 20...probably top 10 for the 0-4 age group. It was a favorite of my son's for about 2 years and the wear the book shows illustrates that. I have memorized every page, and never tired of reading it. It is constructed with heavy pages that hold up much better than the average (non board) book. There are just the right amount of words on each page to hold the child's interest. The interaction of each page involves your child and will keep them on the edge of their seat/bed with anticipation and excitement with every read! It is among the very best of interactive books for young children. You won't be disappointed !! I am buying 3 more for each of my children's children, since you never know about re-printing in the future...and it's definitely a book to enjoy forever.

Captain Bones Gold Game
Captain Bones Gold Game
2 used & new from $33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST game I've seen in YEARS!, December 26, 2005
This review is from: Captain Bones Gold Game (Toy)
AWESOME game! Contrary to what the previous reviewer wrote about design flaws, our game works perfectly. The skeleton snatches the coins with flawless accuracy every time. We've played it at least a dozen times already and have not had one problem. Our 5 yr old is addicted - and it's actually a game the adults and teenagers in the family LIKE TO PLAY TOO!

I've you liked Don't Wake Daddy, you'll LOVE this game. Same principle really, the skeleton pops out and surprises the players by snatching one gold coin...sometimes it's yours, sometimes it's an opponents, sometimes he comes up empty handed because there is no game piece on the spot he chose. But it's always suspensful when he pops out! The coins do occasionally fall off the heads of the playing pieces and need to be replaced so the Cpt. Bones can steal them, but it's not a problem at all. There is a small indent on one side of the coin which fits into a peg on top of the playing piece to hold it in place. If you place it in the right spot securly, it doesn't usually fall off.

Object of the game is to make it all the way around the game board without losing your gold coin to Cpt. Bones. First player to collect 3 coins wins.

Average game time is roughly 10-15 minutes. Great for about 4 and up. Younger children need to be prepared for losing their coins - our 5 yr old son didn't like it at first (he does not lose well generally, but he is improving and this game is helping!) but he knows if he whines = game over.

Very well designed - works perfectly and great fun for all! We will be giving this as birthday gifts for a while!!

Edited to add: We brought this game to a New Years party where it was enjoyed by 10 children ranging in age from 5 to 10. Not only was it a hit, but it still works perfectly after all their typical rough play.

We Share Everything!
We Share Everything!
by Robert Munsch
55 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Message!, April 6, 2004
This review is from: We Share Everything! (Paperback)
I read this book to my son for the first time today, and it will be the last. He is 4 years old and has shown me he is greatly affected by what I read to him in books. He has imitated words as well as actions from stories we have read together. Therefore, I'm careful as to what I expose him to at this young age. Maybe when he's older, he'll understand more about the world and know enough to realize when an author is writing in jest - but for now...I can just see him taking his clothes off in school because he wants to "share" them with another classmate!!!
I can hear the call from the principal now, "Your son was stark naked in class today - trying to get Mary to try on his shirt - and thinking the whole thing was funny!"
He's going to pick up enough actions that aren't appropriate on his own without me giving him more ideas through story time.
I wouldn't recommend this book for a child age Kindergarten or younger.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2011 6:07 AM PDT

Mmm, Cookies!
Mmm, Cookies!
by Robert Munsch
32 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This book sends a poor message..., April 6, 2004
This review is from: Mmm, Cookies! (Paperback)
It's a pitty Robert Munch hasn't continued to deliver the same beautiful messages he brought to us in Love You Forever in his recent books.
In Mmm, Cookies! The child finds play clay and makes a pretend giant cookie, adding icing and raisins to make it look more real. He then takes it to his Mother, telling her his Father baked a cookie for her. She tastes it, "Yuck".
He makes another (while Mom is washing out her mouth) then takes it to his Father and tells him his mother baked the cookie for him... etc.
I had to have a discussion w/ my 4 yr old about telling parents things that aren't true. Although this is just a harmless "little white lie"...how is a young child to know when it's OK to lie like this and when it isn't? We can't expect them to understand it's OK to lie to your parents when you're just "teasing"...
I bought 10 of Munch's books throught the Preschool's Scholastic program. So far, I've read 8 of them - and none are as sweet and enduring as Love You Forever. Not even close. I'm amazed they are written by the same author.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2011 8:21 AM PST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money..., March 10, 2003
This is our 3rd ball pit, and the worst of the three. The others have been much HIGHER to contain the balls, bigger in diameter, allowing more room to move around and more balls to stay inside, and designed much better for play value.
Our favorite ball pit was the Gumball Playland, also made by Moose Mtn, but made so much better than this one. It had a large opening on the top where the child can throw the balls into before they swirl down, and the sides were at least twice as high as this one. The Castle has only one small opening, making it almost impossible for a child to throw a ball inside. You must physically place the ball in the hole to watch it go down where it usually gets stuck at the bottom. The sides measure only about 7" high!!
The Gumball Playland hasn't been avbl on amazon for quite a while, but it did not last very long before it sprung a leak (mostly the fault of our dog playing inside...) I had originally bought two, so we just threw the 1st away and blew up the 2nd. It only lasted a couple weeks before it began to slowly deflate. We searched forever for the leak, even using soap and water, watching for the bubbles, but couldn't find it.
We replaced it with a Jump-O-Lene (84" diameter) and put 300 balls inside. It works great as a ball pit, very durable, but it is really designed for "jumping" which you can't do too well when it's filled w/ balls.
We were then sent the Swirl Castle by Moose Mtn (6 months wait and 5 phone calls to the east coast) because the Gumball Playland only lasted a couple weeks. The Castle is worthless.
This pit has 10 inflation valves, I suppose to help contain leaks, but it takes forever to inflate, even using a pump.
I was SO, SO dissappointed when I finally finished inflating it to see how much smaller than the other two it is.
Do yourself a favor. When buying a ball pit, keep in mind these things:
- Diameter of ball pit. If you plan to use it for a child 2 yrs or older, it should be at least 5 feet. I just measured the castle, fully inflated, it measures just under 4 feet (whereas the Gumball Playland was 63" and the jump-o-lene is 84").
- Height of walls. Not necessarily the total height of the ball pit, but the height of the walls above the floor. You'll just have to eyeball this w/ most ball pits, since most item descriptions don't list this measurement.
- Design of the ball pit. Particularily how it will contain the balls! Unless you plan to pick them up several times a day, look for one that has high walls and maybe even a semi-enclosed top.
Good luck. And...bottom line. Don't plan on any ball pit lasting too long. Durability is NOT one of their strong points. But they are great fun while they last. So, if you buy one on sale, which happens frequently, you won't feel so bad if it ends up in the trash a few months after you inflate it.

Page: 1 | 2