Profile for Mark Ingram > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Ingram "gadget freak" RSS Feed (oologah, ok)

Page: 1 | 2
Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $7.99
4 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars compact form factor is great for my projects, September 23, 2014
Bought this to use with my Beaglebone Black and Raspberry Pi. It is simply plug and play, no additional software or drivers needed. Also, compact form factor is great for my projects. (Also tested and works on Windows and Mac for those who are wondering).

Can't go wrong with this guy.

GeauxRobot BeagleBone Black Compact Case Black
GeauxRobot BeagleBone Black Compact Case Black
Offered by GeauxRobot
Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Case for the $$$, September 23, 2014
Prior to getting this case, I was using the Adafruit brand case which was a pain because half the cords didn't fit through the sides of the case.

This case, on the other hand, is beyond perfect. Complete access to all I/O, handly little button risers to make them easy to push, and clear labeling all make this the best case I have seen yet for the Beaglebone Black.

Sony PlayStation Eye Camera (Bulk Packaging)
Sony PlayStation Eye Camera (Bulk Packaging)
Offered by kiddie world
Price: $8.19
32 used & new from $2.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beaglebone and Raspberry Pi, September 23, 2014
I bought this camera to do some photo / video stuff with my Raspberry Pi and my Beablebone Black. For the sub-$10 price tag, this is insanely good quality both in craftsmanship and in image quality (even in dark scenes).

Drivers for it are included with both Beaglebone and Raspberry Pi so if that is what you are wanting go ahead and get it, you can't go wrong for the $$$.

2-Year SquareTrade Warranty plus Accident Protection for Kindle Fire HD 7" (Previous Generation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Ask for Better, January 30, 2013
I bought a squaretrade warranty a few years back (3 year w/ accident protection) for my brand new kindle touch, seeing as how I could get an extremely good deal on a three year warranty with accident protection (sub $20). For a year and a half the kindle worked great but one day I had it in my backpack and my backpack fell off my bed, breaking the screen on the kindle (which was in a protective case). I contacted Amazon, but I was outside of my original warranty so they could only offer me a discount on a new one. Squaretrade, however, after hearing my story issued me a full payout and within 24 hours of submitting my claim I had $104 in amazon credit to buy a new one. Now if THAT isn't awesome, I don't know what is.

Not only is SquareTrade an amazing warranty company with extremely reasonable prices, but you will also be hard pressed to find any warranty company with friendlier customer service or faster service.

HP Desktop 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive
HP Desktop 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Great External HDD with quality companies behind it! (UPDATED), June 7, 2012
PROS
The main reasons I bought this drive were 1)because it came with backup software 2)because it had a 2 year warranty and 3)because Western Digital makes the actual Hard Drive inside the enclosure. I have had this hard drive for 2 months and so far the speeds are quite good (won't go above ~30MB/sec on USB 2.0 but when I tested on USB 3.0 I got writes ~85MB/sec and reads ~90MB/sec)(SEE UPDATE) and I love the feature where it powers down when not in use. I have run into no problems using this hard drive so far and don't foresee any problems in the future.

CONS
The ONLY thing I can complain about on this drive is the backup software. While it may do well for some, I was not a fan. All it really does is pick the file types you might normally want to back up (.doc, .jpg, .mp3, etc), and it tries to backup all of your documents while not backing up programs and windows files. The only problem is it is nearly 100% automatic so if you want to adjust or fine tune any of the settings you're out of luck. (If you are looking for a good program, EaseUS Todo Backup as it is the best backup program I have found yet, and it is completely free.)

OVERALL
The lacking backup software didn't bug me very much, and it is definitely not enough to deduct a star. This drive is speedy and reliable, and while I have not owned this particular drive for very long, I have owned numerous Western Digital drives over the years, some as many as 10 years now, and I have never had a single one give out on me. (*knocks on wood*) This drive should be plenty reliable and fast for anybody, and I would definitely recommend it as a great value external HDD.

UPDATE
So actually I was transferring some stuff over USB 3.0 today (on my brothers computer) and it was reaching write speeds in excess of 135 MB/s sustained. I'm not sure but I'd be willing to bet that the read speeds are at least that fast over USB 3.0 if not higher. Long story short, this is a BLAZING FAST drive.

Brita Water Filter Pitcher Replacement Filters, 1 Count
Brita Water Filter Pitcher Replacement Filters, 1 Count
Price: $6.99
75 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes great tasting water!, June 7, 2012
One great thing about Brita products is that all of their pitchers take the same size filter which made finding this replacement super easy! Brita makes great quality water filtering products (we have had a Brita water filter pitcher for about 10 years so far) and they consistently give good results. This filter was no different. I followed the instructions to pre-soak, threw it in the pitcher, and I have had great quality water to refill my water bottles with and to drink.

What can I say, Brita simply doesn't disappoint.

Paper Mate InkJoy 700 RT Retractable Medium White Body Ballpoint Pen, Black, 2 Pack (1781582)
Price: $4.95
19 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So close to being the perfect pen., June 7, 2012
PROS
This pen does exactly what it says it will do, it makes writing easy and enjoyable. Personally, I am also a fan of the design as well. When I got the pens they roughly equaled $2 a pen, but judging by the build quality and smoothness of design they are worth way more than that. The clips feel like they will last a long time (longer than the ink will) and overall the pen is a joy to hold and write with. My dad is a great collector of pens (roller ball, fountain, montblanc, you name it) and this pen even writes better than several of his >$50 pens.

One more thing, on a completely separate note, the ink itself is truly a wonder. While most roller ball ink pens' ink has a sheen to it when it dries or looks inconsistent, the ink from the InkJoy pen always looks consistent, even, and looks MUCH more like a true, natural black than most other pens. To me this is one of this pens greatest qualities.

CONS
The only thing I can complain about is because the ink was engineered to come out easily sometimes it comes out TOO easily and leaves small pools on the paper while you write. Half of the time these will dry on their own half the time you have to wipe them off to keep them from smearing. While this is slightly annoying, it doesn't happen often enough to make me detract a star.

OVERALL
Overall, these pens are truly a joy to keep around and write with, and they look fairly attractive as well. To anybody who uses cheap replaceable pens in their every day life or has ever been frustrated with a ballpoint pen, I URGE you to try these pens today. You won't regret it!

OtterBox Commuter Series Case for Apple iPod touch 4G (Blue/White)
OtterBox Commuter Series Case for Apple iPod touch 4G (Blue/White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case. Period., June 7, 2012
PROS
I bought this case for my brother's ipod touch because I have been selling OtterBox Cases for years at the retail store where i work and they are always excellent quality products that are second to none. This case fits the device perfectly, provides the combined protection of the soft silicone shell (the white part) with the rigidity of the hard plastic part (the blue part), and comes with a fairly high quality screen protector to boot! Also, it adds VERY LITTLE volume to the device overall so it retains its identity as the thinnest iPod ever.

CONS
I cannot think of a single con to buying this case.

OVERALL
As far as an all-in-one protection package, I believe this is the perfect choice for anyone. I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite)
10 used & new from $3.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Has its selling points and its deal busters, but still good, November 29, 2011
Okay, so I have been debating for days on whether to rate this thing 3 or 4 stars, and I still want to rate it 3 and a half, but I have settled for 4 stars. Here is why.

PROS
The only real reason I wanted this case over the others is because every other case holds the Kindle in with straps around the edges, and this is the only case that holds the Kindle in while letting you see the whole front side. It holds it in perfectly, neither feeling loose or too tight to get it out. The black leather is genuine leather and smells nice, and while the front cover is very thin (if you tap on it you get a hollow drum sound, and it can be bent without much effort) it takes mild amounts of abuse without a problem. Also, the flap folds back perfectly and when you are reading, you hardly notice the Kindle has a case on.

CONS
My main complaint is the quality of the leather. If you compare this to the case for the Kindle 3 (keyboard) the leather is a little thinner but much less durable. I sometimes lightly hold my Kindle between my teeth when I run out of hands, and after a week I can still see my tooth marks (whereas on the K3 case I couldn't). Also, even a mild scratch will either take several days to disappear. UPDATE: Most scratches will mostly disappear so its not as big a problem as I originally thought.

The only other complaint is of course the lack of anything to hold the cover closed, but this has actually not been much of a problem for me. Quite often I like to frisbee toss my Kindle onto a nearby soft surface (like carpet or a pillow or bed) and I was afraid the cover would flap open every time, but 10 times out of the 11 I tried it stayed shut just fine. Even though the lack of a device to hold the case closed shouldn't cause you any problems, it would have been nice of Amazon to throw in a magnet or something, just for security.

Just to address the issue people bring up of this case being slippery, I thought the exact same thing when I bought it but this is just an effect of how new it is. It will wear off after a day or two and you will be able to grip it just fine. Promise.

OVERALL
My overall opinion of this case can be summed up by the word "overpriced". I think it is a pretty good quality case but the price tag is still a little too much. As long as you won't be throwing your Kindle in your backpack with a pair of scissors and several sharp pencils and pens, this case should provide good enough protection. If you disklike the straps going across the corners as I do, this is definitely the case for you. In my opinion, if it holds up for a few years, this case will have been worth the extra $$$.

UPDATE: I just wanted to update real quick to compliment the case. While it still scratches rather easily it recovers very well too. Just yesterday I set the case on a table covered in food crumbs and wood shavings and it scratched the heck out of the front cover, but a few hours later I couldn't tell it was ever scratched. It may scratch easily, but the scratches disappear quickly and it looks almost brand new.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Fanatic Digital HDMI-to-HDMI Cable Ultra Clarity 6'
Fanatic Digital HDMI-to-HDMI Cable Ultra Clarity 6'
Offered by Moon Tech
Price: $2.99
26 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Why would you pay more??, October 28, 2011
I assume by looking at this product you aren't an A/V perfectionist that doesn't want to lose a single pixel of quality. If that is you, I would reccomend going for a more expensive cable if for nothing else than the psychological effect.

Alright, now that I have that out of the way, as long as that isn't you this is the perfect cable. It is super cheap, but not necessarily in quality. Came bundled perfectly with end caps, plugged it in, and can't tell a difference between this one and my dad's Monster HDMI Cable (which makes sense since HDMI is digital interface so there is no loss of quality due to slight signal loss, only full signal loss or by incorrect reading of the 1s and 0s coming out). There is no need to go more expensive then this, this is a great cable. Period.

Page: 1 | 2